Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 10 official thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies

Vivienne VaVoom will be at Tiki Oasis! I won't be doing burlesque this year (unless I have too many mai tais and do something impromptu in the Heel on Heels/Ding Dong Devils party room...) but I'm the new brand ambassador for Colorado's Montanya Rum and we're sponsoring a few events at Tiki Oasis!

On Friday a couple cutie retro pinups and I'll be serving a super yummy cocktail called the Freestyle and offering straight tastes of our Platino & Oro rums at the poolside Sip'n'Shop, 4-6pm.

Plus San Diego's Hell on Heels Burlesque and Polynesian twist punk band Ding Dong Devils have invited me to be part of their suite party! They will be serving Montanya Oro gold rum in their Headshrinkers and Ding Dong Devil cocktails, Friday 2:30-4pm and Saturday starting at 10:30pm in suite 1649.

I'll also be in the Friday night fashion show and then gogo dancing with my Burlesque As It Was pal, Dew Licious on Saturday alongside some of the bands:
Saturday 5:30 - 6:00 The Hula Girls
Saturday 7:20 – 8pm Thee Swank Bastards
(if anyone from these bands are on this list and have outfit requests- let me know! I've got a ton of costumes)

See you there!

-Vivienne VaVoom

Also If anyone finds themselves with extra tix to the Cocktail Symposium or garnish class, I'd love to buy them! [email protected]

B

Baby Doe presents....
Keep A Breast Art Show at Tiki Oasis 10
Benefitting the Keep A Breast Foundation

Reception for the Artists:
1:00PM - 2:30PM, Saturday Aug. 21
Artists and castees will be in attendance at the reception

The Keep A Breast Gallery will be open 11 AM - 4 PM on Friday - Sunday, August 20 – 22 - Free and open to the public

Crowne Plaza Hotel, Lahaina Room
2270 Hotel Circle North
San Diego, CA 92108

The Keep A Breast Foundation Breast Casts™ are part of Keep A Breast’s unique campaigns to use art and artistic expression to inform young people about methods of prevention, early detection, coping and support. This awareness campaign is like no other, harnessing the power of art to communicate complex feelings and thoughts about health, the female form and ultimately about breast cancer.

The breast casts will be sold at the exhibition to raise funds for Keep A Breast's early detection, prevention, and support programs. Through these programs Keep A Breast strives to eradicate breast cancer by inspiring young people to adopt lifestyle choices that have long-term health benefits

Please check out the full gallery at: http://www.keep-a-breast.org/art

+++++++++

Look for Baby Doe and a few of the other castees Friday at registration and Saturday at the Keep A Breast reception selling raffle tickets to raise money to buy their casts. Check out some of the fun prizes that will be raffled off! Do not need to be present to win!

• Orbit In Hotel Palm Springs - weekend getaway ($600 value) leave your worries behind as you lounge in luxurious mid-century style. Breathtaking mountain views, poolside breakfast, cocktails, cruiser bikes and spa services - all served up at a small boutique hotel called the Orbit In, where vintage modernism meets the 21st century - http://www.orbitin.com
  • Don The Beachcomber gift certificates
  • Special gift from Fluff *

++++++++++++

Artists
Atomikitty, Bosko, Claudette Barjoud aka Miss Fluff, Crazy Al Evans, Danny Gallardo, Dave "Squid" Cohen, Dave Krys, David C. Wong, Dawn Frasier Sophista-Tiki, Derek Yaniger, Eric October, Erin Joy, Heather Watts, Isabel Samaras, Jason Rodgers, Ken Ruzic/Little Lost Tiki, Mark Mothersbaugh, Maya Rodgers, Michael Fleming aka Tweedlebop, Mitch O'Connell, MP, Rex "!", Tiki King, Tim Biskup, Velvet Glass.

Castees
Amber Ray, Angel Baby, Atomikitty, Audrey Moorhead, Baby Doe, Becky Ebenkamp, Evie, Lovelle, Fifi, Giddle Partridge, Kari French, Kathleen O'Malley, Kitty Diggins, Lady Borgia, Lili VonSchtupp, Megan Mayham, Mimi Le Meaux, Penny Starr, Jr., Red Snapper, Tana the Tattooed Lady, The Assassin, Tura Satana, Vintage Girl, Violetta Beretta

+++++++++++++++++++++

great article here on the KAB show: http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/65125

I have one extra ticket. If anyone wants to buy it ($50 for Fri/Sat ticket), let me know. 858-205-3211.

Just a little post to let the fine folks coming to Tiki Oasis know that I have shipped a whole pallet of syrups down to San Diego for my vending booth.

I've got....

• Orgeat (Almond-based syrup, for use in your Mai Tai!)
  • Cinnamon (Nui Nui, Jet Pilot)
  • Vanilla (great with a bit of light rum and bubbles, and for cooking!)
  • Don's Mix (Donga Punch, early Zombie)
  • Don's Spices #2 (Nui Nui, Opaka Raka)
  • Passion Fruit Syrup (Hurricane, Cobra's Fang)
  • Hibiscus Grenadine (China cocktail, Hell in the Pacific)

AND a few bottles (seriously, only a few) of my upcoming releases Ginger Syrup and Falernum!

and they'll be available for a mighty fine price, cheaper than online, so stock up! Credit cards accepted.

Okole Maluna!

Pssst.... need a ticket? Here's two great options to still make it to the party

Book a room at the Crowne Plaza and you can purchase up to 4 weekend passes.

Sold out, you say? Bosh!

I have an extra room Thurs, Fri, Sat $170 clams a night.

email me at [email protected].

First come, first to party!

And listen to Cammo- you can still volunteer and get in for free! He is fair and just and I owe him 10 bucks. And he's the one person left in the modern world that won't sell out to facebook. I respect that.

TIKI OASIS VOLUNTEERS
Every year about this time the tropical winds blow some of our volunteers off course and there are cancellations, changes and sometimes new volunteer opportunities just appear out of nowhere!

The Volunteer Hut just has new shifts available and volunteers get a free weekend pass!

TIKI OASIS! Where else can you work a few hours a day, meet everyone at the party and drink on the job! For those that remember last year, YOU NO DRINK E'NUF MAI TAI, BRAH! I think we all had fun.

Every year volunteers tell me they had even a better time volunteering because of all the cool people you meet. First come first served!

Volunteer for Tiki Oasis ONE SHIFT and get in for FREE ($50 value). All volunteers receive free admission to the Tiki Oasis event as well as a thank you gift from Tiki Oasis. Total volunteer time on average is about 5 hours.

Here's what to do:
(hey, it might seem like there's a bunch of flaming hoops to jump through, but it's worth it. With over 80 volunteers this year, we gotta make da computah' do most of the work so we can drink mo da mai tai)

here's what to do:

1. join our facebook group. that's how we communicate with all the volunteers.
    http://bit.ly/TOVolunteers

2. go see the positions available on our Volunteer Schedule
    http://bit.ly/TO10VolunteerSchedule
    (look for the tab at the bottom "AVAILABLE SHIFTS"

3. take the Volunteer survey, so we can have all your info handy:
    http://bit.ly/TikiOasisVolunteerSurvey

4. And because we're down to the last week, message HukilauBrown at facebook
    facebook.com/hukilau.brown
    or
    Email: [email protected]
    and let him know you've completed the

T

Brenda and I will hitting ground in San Diego tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 10 AM.

Should be in room 1728 again this year.

Can't wait to see all the Tiki Oasis X Ohana!

TB

Stop by our spot and say hello.....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37556&forum=18&0

We are near the TikiToNy beachcomber hut

WILL THE THRILL will be showing the MARTINI KINGS new short film at 10pm saturday evening at TIKI OASIS.

Aaaaaaw, it really looks like I am gonna miss a great one!
Well, even though I cannot be in attendance, congratulations to Otto and family for pulling off the BIG TEN of this grand festival of Tiki.
Who would have thought ten years ago that this fun get-together would get this big!
I will be hoisting one for you at the Rum Trader (with James Teitelbaum, who is in town).
Okole Maluna! Your Sven

I booked a shuttle from the San Diego train station to the Kings Inn tonight at 8pm. If anyone wants to share the ride, text me at 626-818-2348.

For anyone else who may be travelling by train, the shuttle company says it's $16 for one person or $5 a person for a group from the SAN train station to the three participating hotels. The shuttle number is (619)-646-8629.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Aug 21, 2010 7:05 AM

Just to let everybody know, Oasis is really great this year. It's like living in a giant breathing Tiki Paradise, only better beyond your imagination. Everybody is happy all day long and carrying around mugs that slosh around with yummy-smelling liquids.

The sushi bar in the middle of the hotel is fantastic. Try the Big Kahuna Roll or the Spider Roll.

Yes, if you aren't going it really sucks.

P

"Yes, if you aren't going it really sucks."

Thanks for that.
Now I hope you run out of fresh mint.

Well, that might be a bit harsh.

Ya'll have fun now!

On 2010-08-21 07:05, Cammo wrote:

Oh...that helps...I feel much better now.

N

On 2010-08-21 07:05, Cammo wrote:
Just to let everybody know, Oasis is really great this year. It's like living in a giant breathing Tiki Paradise, only better beyond your imagination. Everybody is happy all day long and carrying around mugs that slosh around with yummy-smelling liquids.

The sushi bar in the middle of the hotel is fantastic. Try the Big Kahuna Roll or the Spider Roll.

Couldn't agree more about Oasis, but I wholeheartedly disagree about the sushi bar. It's quite mediocre compared to what I've had in the past, and I eat sushi at least once a week. That said, the fact that the hotel even offers it is impressive!

T

Tiki Oasis was a great time...Thanks Otto & Baby Doe.See you next year

So what was up with the guy in the King Kamehameha outfit Saturday night? I had to leave early so I didn't see if he was he a paid performer or if he was just struttin' it :D Anyone get a picture?

Just got home. I had a blast! Some highlights for me were, seeing Squid play drums with the swank bastards in a room party, having a nice conversation about lounge music with the vibist Frank Marsico, ejoying the mai kai gent's rythem section in the elevator (and seeing them on the stage) and above all, seeing APE in all it's glory delivering an outatanding set! Oh, and the room party with the band, CHUM was excellent!

This was a GREAT oasis! It was awesome to see old friends and make a ton of new ones. Hope to see you all again soon at the next tiki event!

C

had another wonderful Tiki Oasis. This was our 4th and we got the best room we have ever had on the 5th floor with a perfect view of the stage. If you were there we were the ones with the Tiki oasis surfboard on the balcony :) Will download my pictures tomorrow.

CL

Nevermind. :)

[ Edited by: coco loco 2010-08-24 21:41 ]

AWESOME.

pictures, pictures, PICTURES!!!!

T

On 2010-08-22 10:00, MadDogMike wrote:
So what was up with the guy in the King Kamehameha outfit Saturday night? I had to leave early so I didn't see if he was he a paid performer or if he was just struttin' it :D Anyone get a picture?

He was in the costume contest, and he told King Kukulele that he made the costume himself. King Kukulele then made up a song on the spot about how he made the costume himself and didn't buy it. He didn't win the costume contest, though.

Thanks TikiSan. It was a great costume (I bought some fabric last week to make me one but I won't have the 'nads to wear it with a Speedo! :lol: )

T

Thank you and congratulations to Otto and Baby Doe for a fantastically fun Oasis.

Best of Oasis:

Seeing APE live: Amazingly tight musicians. Crazy Al is so talented - singer, dancer, tiki carver (all three at the same time while performing with APE), songwriter, MC, mug sculptor, business owner, and more.

The Lampshades: Kate Flannery (Meredith on The Office) and Scot Robinson (Anchorman) were hilarious! I hope they are back next year.

Martin Cate's Persuasive Power of Punch Cocktail Symposium and the Notch designed 40 gallon flaming volcano bowl. The Cocktail Symposium is always a highlight for me because I always like to improve my mixology skills.

Thee Swank Bastards: Excellent music and Szandora had choreographed moves for every song. (Otto and Baby Doe, please have them back again next year)

Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid in the hotel pool: Impressive portrayal of a mermaid

Trader Tiki's syrups and mixology skills: I believe he served a Nui Nui out of a vendor's Lanai room. Excellent drink, and I hope you do well with the syrups.

Lots of fantastic Bosko art at friendly prices!

Violetta Baretta

The room parties (of course)

Johnny Johnny (Tiki Bar TV): always good to see him

Next year: please have Tikiyaki Orchestra on the main stage Saturday night. It is time, and has been since 2007!

Is next year's theme really old Mexico??? Because when I think Polynesian Pop, Mexico is usually what comes to mind....or not. I'm sure there are some better themes, like focusing on a specific region in Polynesia. Plus, I much prefer rum to tequila.

Otto and Baby Doe: congratulations on ten years!

Billy the Crud being Billy......until the security guy showed up

HA!

Z

Aieeeeee!!
My eyes, my eyes!
Oy!
I shot > 1200 pics at TO10 and fried a Metz flash in the process.
As soon as I get them processed and sorted into sets I'll post links to them.

I

Great time again this year.

Amazing time! Such a wonderful event. A buddy of mine was able to fly out here from North Carolina and was absolutely blown away. I knew some people last year, but that was an event I mostly spent alone. It was truly touching to notice how I couldn't walk 50 feet without saying hi or hugging a dear tiki friend this year. I was trying to tell my friend how crazy it is as we were walking, "Yeah, it's really weird, I... oh, hey buddy, great to see you... I take a few steps and next thing I know... hey, gorgeous, you look amazing... next thing I know there is someone I... hey, you made it, awesome..." I couldn't even finish my conversation with him! So heart warming to be a part of such an amazing group of people. True ohana!

To everyone I met that is a new friend, to all my old friends, and to everyone else who is a friend to be: Thank you for such a great weekend!

Hey there Centralites!

Wow, I had... I mean, wow. This was a real blast from the past for me, and reminded me of my tiki roots, which is to say, hanging out with some fun and fantastic people and having a great time. I moved from NorCal to Portland, OR 4 years ago, and hadn't been back other to California other than for a bar crawl a few years back. I'll just say it's been too damned long that I've been outside of the company of some of my favorite folks on the planet. This was my first Tiki Oasis, and I will definitely be back and involved next year.

A big fat thanks to everyone who stopped by my little ramshackle vending booth too. I'm just trying to do the right thing, and make great drinks accessible for everyone. Thank you all for your support, and I'll keep fighting the good fight and making high quality stuff for all you high quality people.

And since apparently I just can't stop vending, I've posted the Falernum and Ginger Syrup on the site, so take advantage of your OASIS2010 20% off (over $30) deal before the end of August!

Cheers, and see you next year!

-Blair

Otto & Baby Doe do it AGAIN! Great time guys! Thanks for getting us involved.
Big thanks for having the tiny tot room too - it was great to get the kid(s) out of the sun for a while. Your volunteers in there were super!

This year absolutely blew my tiki-socks off! I had such a great time, an extra special thanks to Otto, Baby Doe and all the support staff and volunteers who pulled off another fantastic event!

I don't know how it's possible that I was able to see and do so many things in two days, but yet miss so many fun and exciting people...

Mahalo for the memories,

xo
Hula

A little video from day 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flMWnUilXvA

W

Fun Fun Fun...can't wait til next year!! :wink:
p.s. tees on sale!!! see link below if interested

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37589&forum=17

J

Had an amazing time again. Thank you Otto and Baby Doe.

So sorry I missed it this year...sounds like it was awesome (as usual). I am thrilled that Wendy & Dan are giving me their Oasis Mug as a gift...all that kindness will come back at ya!!!

I did make it to the Bali Hai with the Mother Unit and my niece and her husband. We got there pretty early so only got to listen to the DJ (missed the Hawaiian/Exotcia venue though), but was hoping to hear some Tikiyaki Orchestra, however Mom gave out just as they came on, so didn't get to stay. (insert picture of me crying here)

I did link up with 4WDtiki at the Bali Hai Sunday morning to pick up my Tiki, so just being in the parking lot of the "Hanalei" felt good...LOL.

Looking forward to seeing all the great pictures and videos.

L

Otto and Doe it was a hell of a weekend! Thanks for all you do to make this happen.

It was a pretty awesome weekend all around -- from the vendors to the entertainment to the room parties to the after hours room parties--never have I had so much fun with so many people with so little drama.

Thanks for doing what you do when you do it so us folks can act like drunk fools and party our asses off.

Looking forward to next year already!

This Oasis was a total blast, thanks you Otto, Baby Doe and all the volunteers and performers who made this great.
I guess this is a thread where people will give some feedabck, so I thought I would mention two things I found that were much improved:
The line for wrist bands on Thursday was really fast compared to previous years (even though my name wasn't on the list, when I found Baby Doe she immedietly knew what to do, but that was unrelated to the fast check-in process).
Also - the Hanalei BBQ shack or whatever it was called (next to the remodeled section of the conference center) provided a great FAST food option - essential for those about to imbibe alocohol at symposiums (for educational purposes, of course). Thanks for that!

Also thanks to Otto for straigtening out the security clamp-down situation at Tiki Heaven room party on Friday night. The fact there was a problem was a bummer, but Tikitastic Mark said Otto handled it with swift action, that sent the security guys appologizing.

And mentioning the room parties - it was great to serve drinks again for my friends at Tiki Underground (Tiki Heaven) as warm-up for my friend Martin Cate (and wife Rebecca) from Smuggler's Cove. It was quite the challange to do that then strap on the guitar and play two sets with my band The Sand Devils, but it sure was fun.
Thanks again for my friends Tikitastic, Tai Won On, Paul, Kim, Kevin and all. Thanks for the help with preparation Kevin, Tai Won On and Kim, thanks for my impromptu bar backs Big Tiki Dude and Sabu.
The following night, I got to experience Chum rocking Tiki Heaven, Martin Cate rocking the Pineapple drinks, and then in Frankie's room, Thee Swank Bastards raising the roof of the hotel with special guests like Squid and APE members.

I was really happy to see my dear friend Marie King being able to enjoy Oasis (not trivial), and Jonpaul not only playing on Thursday night at one of Tikiyaki's best shows ever, but also subbing in Project Pimento and doing a great job. Happy Birthday Jonpaul!

Sunday afternoon, it was great to relax by the pool and hear a mix of my favorite surf and exotica tunes spun by Big Tiki Dude and Tiki Tena, that is always a nice conclusion to the wild weekend.

It was great seeing many old friends again, but I realized how many new friends I have made over the last couple of years. That's a great part of Oasis for me.

I'm still not 100% focused (as evident by this post), so I appologize to whoever I forgot to mention...

Anyway, looking forward to next year.

Ran

[ Edited by: kick_the_reverb 2010-08-23 16:47 ]

T
TNT posted on Mon, Aug 23, 2010 4:49 PM

Mahalo Baby Doe, Otto and all involved in bringing this together. The bbq stand was a great addition, the hotel staff and security were friendly and helpful. A sold out event and smooth sailing all the way. We had a great time and can't wait for next year.

C

Thanks to Otto, Baby Doe, all the volunteers and everyone who worked tirelessly this weekend to make everything go so smoothy--and making it such a fun weekend (do I really have to wait 365 whole days to do it again)?

And the Ding Dong Devils want to thank everyone who attended the DDD/Hell on Heels room party Saturday night, especially since audience-participation turned out to be a key element in the fun (unfortunately, I missed, and only heard later about somebody drinking champagne from Jolie Goodnight's metal washtub after she finished her champagne bath--a true Tallulah Bankhead x100 moment)! Huge thank yous to Martini BombsHELL and Hell on Heels, for everything they did to raise the energy to a higher level, to Michelle for the great Montanya Rum, and to our busy bartenders Christine, Rita and Leslie. We formed our band after being inspired by Tiki Oasis a couple of years ago, and a room party like this was something we only dreamed about!

Caltiki Brent

[ Edited by: congawa 2010-08-23 17:11 ]

[ Edited by: congawa 2010-08-23 17:12 ]

[ Edited by: congawa 2010-08-23 17:12 ]

We had a great time. Getting wristbands was much smoother and I never saw many people in line because of this. BBQ Shack also made it easy to get a quick bite (important for vendors). Great bands, people, and room parties. There was an incredible amount of art and swag to be had. Thanks to all that bought our stuff and no thanks to whoever swiped one of the Cook Islands carved pearl shell necklaces (that was Sunday when the event was open to the public) Hope to see everyone again soon!

S

Hey everyone - no one stole the banner. It came back to the bar with me, the other two Forbidden Island banners and the carful of seminar/room crawl FI stuff. All is good!

Suzanne

On 2010-08-22 19:29, Coco Loco wrote:
Bad mojo, someone, assumably a fan, stole the Forbidden Island banner at Oasis. Not cool. Hopefully whomever stole it will retun it. Unbelievable, that's truly creating bad karma.

T

Had a blast this weekend.

Thursday Night's show was the most epic Tikiyaki show yet....all those people, the lights, the sound system, Marina....crazy.

Thanx to Otto and Baby Doe having us, and for giving us our own night, so we could do our show right.
Thanx to Marina for being amazing in every way, totally professional and the perfect compliment to our music, and for Thor providing the awesome shrunken heads for her act.
That's not the last you'll see if her and Tikiyaki, if I can help it.

Thanx to Nelson, our guest percussionist and Crazy Al for adding to the fun immensely.

It was really great to meet so many new people, lots of whom were out of towners, seeing the band for the first time.

It was also great to sit in on bongos with Lushy...big fun.
Project Pimento, great too see our own JP sittin' in on bass....I really enjoyed the set.

This was my first time seeing APE too, I really dug it, but who's that nut job hacking a tree onstage ? :)

Happy 10th Anniversary Tiki Oasis !

Z

On 2010-08-22 10:00, MadDogMike wrote:

He was thoroughly enjoying his first tiki oasis ever! He is a regular customer at the bookstore I work at, and was strutting it in his own royal style!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies