Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What dish have you made from Taboo Table

Pages: 1 25 replies

Recently, I have been hosting Poly Pop cocktail parties. Given that my backyard is a subtropical paradise, little has to be done in way of creating the correct atmosphere. However, with all of these drinks, something had to be done in terms of providing my guests enough food to sop up the excess rum. And so, I turned to Taboo Table and Trader Vics Tiki Party book.

I am curious to learn what dishes others may have made from Taboo Table and what your opinions of them are. Also, any hints you may have about making them would be welcome.

I have made the Rumaki - both with chicken livers and scallops- both were hits and fairly easy to make, although the smoke detectors went off both times.

I have also made the Bongo Bongo soup several times. I have to say, this soup was always a favorite and went fast. I served it in cups with whipping cream.

The Aloha Spread seems to be lacking something, but I must say, it always disappears. What type of crackers do you recommend?

Tonight, we had a meal of Teriyaki Steak - we used Filet Mignon; Fried Rice A LA Kona, and Sweet Potatoes Au Rhum. This last dish flew off the plates. The orange halves really impacted the flavors the dish and made them fly. All three dishes were a hit.

I have also served Hawaiian BBQ Pork, Crab Rangoon, Samoan Chicken Satay and a few other dishes not found in Taboo Table.

The one dish I really want to make is Chicken of the Gods. Do I really need water chestnut flour?

D
dcman posted on Sun, Mar 27, 2011 5:36 AM

While I haven't tried the recipe, yes I would say the water chestnut flavor would be a meaningful addition. Since water chestnut flour is something I've never seen, you could make a substitution. Maybe use regular flour but add half a can of drained and sliced or chopped water chestnuts to the recipe. Since water chestnuts have a pronounced flavor you wouldn't need a lot.

For the Bongo Bongo soup do you use the baby food spinach or a substitution? I intend to try it at some point, but don't think I can stomach macerated, bottled spinach.

I've made the Aloha Spread and found it to be a very adult flavor, very strong and complex. I really liked it but no one else in my household did. We'll be having the Tiki-Tiki Chicken in parchment this week sometime. My wife really likes the recipe for Damon's Mai-Tai in the drink section.

I also like the Trader Vic's cookbook that came out a few years ago. They have a rib recipe that whenever I have guests they chow on them at an obscene pace.

dcman

[ Edited by: dcman 2011-03-27 05:38 ]

[ Edited by: dcman 2011-03-27 11:39 ]

J

I just ordered Taboo Table -- should be here in time for my birthday bash -- and on the one hand I am eager to glance at these recipes, but (having become accustomed to the Cook's Illustrated/Alton Brown test-and-retest method) I am worried about them.

I'm pretty well set up here, kitchenwise and could easily mimic a Trader Vic's oven if needed.

As soon as I get it, I'll post on what I start cooking therefrom.

I've made the Curry Dip a few times. Super easy to throw together, just add some dipping vegetables on the side and it's set to go. Everyone that tried it loved it.

T

Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers are excellent and well worth making:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10199&forum=10&hilite=sabu's%20chicken%20skewers

On 2011-03-27 05:36, dcman wrote:
tnuts have a pronounced flavor you wouldn't need a lot.

For the Bongo Bongo soup do you use the baby food spinach or a substitution? I intend to try it at some point, but don't think I can stomach macerated, bottled spinach.

I
dcman

[ Edited by: dcman 2011-03-27 05:38 ]

[ Edited by: dcman 2011-03-27 11:39 ]

I used the recipe from the Trader Vic book. It uses frozen spinach. I agree, no way was I using baby food.

D
dcman posted on Wed, Mar 30, 2011 5:37 AM

I made the tiki-tiki chicken in parchment last night with this change to the recipe:

Instead of deep-frying little packs of parchment, I dumped the whole mess into a big batch of tin foil, sealed it, and baked it at 350 for about 30 minutes. It came out perfectly, with the 4 people in my family chowing it down and wanting more. I also baked some squash and orange pepper chopped and then tossed with olive oil, salt + pepper, the green parts of the scallions, and oregano in a saparate pack. It made a great side dish that cooked at the same time. It would have been good with some chopped carrots mixed in.

dcman

J

OK.

My copy arrived today and...um...boy, it is a SLIM tome, innit? I hope BBB has a new edition up his sleeve, because it'd be great if it had a similar look and feel to Sippin' Safari or Remixed. To say nothing of additional recipes.

Off the top of my head the Langoustine Mimosa looks like the first thing to try out. Although I'll have to find langoustines (i.e. prawns) or figure out how "25 langoustines" translate into, say Florida lobster.

RB

My copy arrived today and...um...boy, it is a SLIM tome, innit? I hope BBB has a new edition up his sleeve, because it'd be great if it had a similar look and feel to Sippin' Safari or Remixed. To say nothing of additional recipes.

"Taboo Table" was Berry's 3rd book in the series, and is the same size & look as the first two (& original) editions of "Grog Log" & "Intoxica!" The drink recipes from TT are included in "Remixed."

J

On 2011-04-01 06:30, Rum Balls wrote:
"Taboo Table" was Berry's 3rd book in the series, and is the same size & look as the first two (& original) editions of "Grog Log" & "Intoxica!" The drink recipes from TT are included in "Remixed."

No argument there, which is why I referenced Sippin' Safari and Remixed. (At least in my copy of Remixed not all the TT drink recipes were included. I'd still like to see an expanded -- both in number of recipes and explanations -- version at some point in the future.

I made Chicken of the Gods yesterday. I followed the recipe exactly; however, the cream sauce was watery. What did I do wrong? Why were the gods angry with me? Does anyone have any ideas about how to get the sauce to thicken?

J

Telescopes:

With 2T of cornstarch, it really should have thickened up. That said, 4 cups is a LOT of stock. The problem is that the stuff that comes in cans or cartons as stock is really more broth than stock. I would have reduced the stock by half, dissolved the cornstarch in a bit of the (cold) stock before adding it to anything and then added it. I'd also start with a minimal amount of stock and dilute a thickened sauce to the desired consistence.

That was one recipe I decided to pass. Horror of horrors, I really don't like fried food. (And not for reasons of health or vanity!)

For better or worse, I have gotten used to the Cook's Illustrated model of cookbooks where everything has been tested and retested and a recipe written in an idiot proof way. When a cocktail recipe is written badly (and BBB's are written as well as they can be written) you end up with merely a different taste. Maybe you like it more, maybe you like it less. But with food, a poorly written recipe (or a poor recipe, period) yields food that is soggy or dry, gummy or leathery, mushy or tough. Food has infinitely more variables at play, and, so many more ways to screw up spectacularly.

Anyway, if you find the right "hack" for this recipe, please post it in the recipe thread!

Mahalo in advance,

J

P.S. As re. rumaki, I like to grill them. One of my favorite things is to have a rumaki buffet, with the chicken liver -- ouch, my arteries! -- and scallop and oyster and (don't laugh) prune ones. The trick is to get GOOD bacon and trim the excess fat. Each strip of bacon should be 60:40 lean to fat.

On 2011-04-05 06:46, jokeiii wrote:
Telescopes:

With 2T of cornstarch, it really should have thickened up. That said, 4 cups is a LOT of stock.

I agree. Maybe I need to stir some more and continue to reduce. I think you're right about the half amount. I found this exact recipe in the paper, only halved all the way around. If the sauce would have thickened, I really believe it would have made a great dinner. I've had this at the Bali Hai, and it is quite tasty. One recipe suggested Cream of Mushroom as a base.

Don't laugh. Guess what the sauce tasted like - you got it, Campbell's Cream of Mushroom. Amazing.

Has anyone else made this?

J

I'm really hoping BBB revises this book as well. Still not sure what a "cube" of butter is, and therefore unclear on how much is half of one.

[shrug]

-J.

P.S. If you rummage to the other threads, there are a couple of good links to some Tiki edibles.

On 2011-04-07 10:14, jokeiii wrote:
I'm really hoping BBB revises this book as well. Still not sure what a "cube" of butter is, and therefore unclear on how much is half of one.

[shrug]

-J.

P.S. If you rummage to the other threads, there are a couple of good links to some Tiki edibles.

I agree. The book needs some real updating. I had problems with that half a cube thing myself.

J

On 2011-04-07 12:54, telescopes wrote:
I agree. The book needs some real updating. I had problems with that half a cube thing myself.

It was fairly early on in BBB's career and a major departure from cocktail recipes which are a different animal, so after he's done with "Potions of the Caribbean" maybe he'll do an updated book of food recipes. He's at a different level now, so we may get to see a food book commensurate with that.

Crossing fingers,

From the bum himself

"Aloha Douglas,

Two ways to do that are 1) use less water and/or 2) higher heat, in each case stirring constantly.

No plans yet for an update, but that's not a bad idea!

Cheers and mahalo,

Jeff"

Ask and ye shall receive...

I recently made a batch of Crab Rangoon. I bought a package of Nasoya won ton wrappers and the recipe listed on the package was identical to the Crab Rangoon recipes found in the Trader Vic's Tiki Party book page 130. They were yummy. I tried to make the Trader Vic's Savory Dipping Sauce page 131 and something seemed missing. I will try to improve the sauce.

I also recently bought a package of Nasoya Round Wraps, which obviously are won ton wrappers which are round and not square. I followed the package recipe and made a batch of Asian Dumplings. After stuffing all the round wraps I had enough filling left over to fill another package. When I cooked them in a pan they had a tendency to burn quickly, so I had to make sure they were only lightly browned. They were delirious. Tell me what you think.

Is the Beachbum writing a new drink book Potions of the Caribean?
Los Angeles Boot Camp

[ Edited by: Sidneyy 2011-05-28 06:11 ]

J

On 2011-05-22 13:19, old band alum wrote:
I also recently bought a package of Nasoya Round Wraps, which obviously are won ton wrappers which are round and not square. I followed the package recipe and made a batch of Asian Dumplings. After stuffing all the round wraps I had enough filling left over to fill another package. When I cooked them in a pan they had a tendency to burn quickly, so I had to make sure they were only lightly browned. They were delirious. Tell me what you think.

I'll need a recipe to tell you what I think!

Here is the Dumpling recipe from the Nasoya round wrap package: 1 package round wraps, Canola oil for cooking,1 cup of water as needed and Asian dipping sauce( you buy or make from another recipe). Filling: 4 cups napa cabbage, shredded, 1 tsp green onions, minced, 1/4 c water chestnuts, chopped, 1 lb ground pork, 1tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp ginger, freshly grated, 1 tsp sesame seed oil, 1/2 tsp salt. This y enough to fill 1 package so I brought another one. In a large bowl combine filling ingredients. Drop one heaping tsp of filing into center of each wrap. Moisten edges with water using finger tips, fold wrap in half & pinch to seal, creating a ripple pattern along edge by pinching and gently pushing together small segments. Repeat for rest. In large skillet, heat 1 tsp Canola oil over medium heat. Place dumplings in skillet without touching. Cook 4 minutes until lightly browned on bottom. Pour in 1/4 c water, with lid, until water cooks off; about 5 minutes. Flip and cook for 4 minutes until lightly browned. Cook rest same way and serve with Asian dipping sauce.

P
phinz posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2011 2:45 PM

On 2011-03-27 11:34, Hakalugi wrote:
I've made the Curry Dip a few times. Super easy to throw together, just add some dipping vegetables on the side and it's set to go. Everyone that tried it loved it.

This is my most common dish I make from it. Very popular stuff in my circle.

I
Iscah posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2011 8:17 AM

Now I'm inspired to see what I can concoct tonight. Thanks for the motivation everyone!

J

If you go to AmericasTestKitchen.com they have several episodes of IDIOTPROOF dumplings and other Asian(ish) appetizers.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/video/?&docid=28371

and

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/video/?&docid=25363

(Excellent dipping sauces, too.)

HTH,

Pages: 1 25 replies