Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki cocktail ice cream

Pages: 1 17 replies

A

I've had an idea for some time to create ice cream flavors based on tiki cocktails. Here's my first attempt: Blue Hawaiian

Looks delightful.

Recipe?

Samples?

I

Please post the recipe!

A

Somewhat ironically, Blue Hawaiian ice cream is more complicated than a Blue Hawaiian cocktail.

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 can Lopez coconut cream
1 cup finely chopped pineapple
2 tbsp light rum
1 tsp blue Curacao
¼ tsp rum flavoring
¼ tsp orange extract
½ oz fresh lime juice
Blue food coloring as desired

Obviously too much rum won’t let the ice cream freeze correctly, but this batch came out hard as a rock so you could probably add a bit more. And the small amount of blue Curacao isn’t enough to color the ice cream properly so I added food coloring.

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2012-07-19 09:02 ]

Now that's an idea can sink my teeth into Arriano!

I made a Donga Punch Sorbet based on this recipe for grapefruit sorbet
http://mormonmavens.blogspot.com/2011/11/pink-grapefruit-sorbet.html

I substituted some cinnamon syrup for the sugar and water, added some lime juice, and a little rum - very good.

I'm no food scientist but too much alcohol will keep it from freezing. A little alcohol will improve the texture by making smaller crystals

I

I made this coconut ice cream this past weekend and was fairly pleased with it. I added a little vanilla extract, and pulsed the mixture in the blender to make the coconut a bit more fine.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/coconut-ice-cream/

Here's my recipe:

Get some good Vanilla ice cream, pulverize some instant coffee crystals between your fingers and powder the ice cream with, then pour a good shot of dark rum over it - ready! :)

Actually, that sounds simple and good Sven!

A

My latest: Mai Tai Ice Cream

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
3/4 cups brown sugar
2 tsp orgeat
1 tsp orange liqueur
2 tbspn dark rum
1/4 tsp rum extract
1/2 oz fresh lime juice
Garnish: mint sprig

That looks delicious Arriano!

Exotic, but not "tiki", I made some Chocolate Coconut Curry ice cream a while back. Yes, spicy and sweet actually go very well together. But the coconut milk base could be used to make a Tiki Drink Ice cream.

2 (13.5 oz) cans of coconut milk
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
Curry powder to taste

(note, no eggs and no dairy. It's actually vegan if you are into that sort of thing. But much more importantly, it has a great texture)

Ok, that does it. I have got to go get my ice cream maker from BB&B. All this ice cream sounds great and I'm sitting at home with no ice cream in the fridge. ARGH!!

Thanks for sharing the recipes. Keep them coming.

• Dale
Q

Those recipes all sound great and the pics prove that they look great as well!!

Mmmmmm....

Note Licking the monitor does NOT taste good at all. :)

Make a version of this with alcohol. That is a good looking ice cream dessert.
“The Coconut”
Haupia Sorbet in a Chocolate Shell, Tropical Fruits and Lilikoi Sauce

It's from Alan Wong's in Honolulu.

Drunken Udder in Los Angeles specializes in sorbet and ice cream with booze in them. Some of their rum based creations are: HOT RUM BUTTER (RUM), TOASTED COCONUT (DARK RUM & MALIBU), RUM ROASTED BANANA (DARK RUM) and RUM RAISIN (DARK RUM).

Cake Bar in Los Angeles specializes in cupcakes with alcohol. Pina Colada is their only tropical style cupcake. Although "Dark Rum, coconut and pineapple cake with a Dark Rum buttercream frosting topped with coconut flakes" sounds pretty good.

Both places require you to be 21+ to try their products.

I have some Haupia mix in my pantry and an ice cream freezer. Hmmmmm...

A

Weather's heating up, and it was time to make another tiki cocktail ice cream. This time I attempted Navy Grog. Here's the recipe I used:

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 oz Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/4 tsp rum flavoring
1 tbsp Coruba Dark Rum
1 tbsp Lemon Hart Demerara Rum

The result is a tasty ice cream, and tastes a bit more rummy than my previous concoctions. But I think it's lacking a stronger grapefruit flavor that I usually associate with the Navy Grog. I think if I were to attempt this again, I'd added cut up bits of actual grapefruit, and maybe even a wee bit more grog concentrate.

what did you use for the "rum flavoring"?

Very interesting Arriano, sounds good!

A

On 2014-04-14 20:38, thePorpoise wrote:
what did you use for the "rum flavoring"?

This stuff.

Pages: 1 17 replies