Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Sam's - Orlando

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 491 replies

Yepp. Trying that on Saturday. ^^^

Anyway, I've been hearing that Tambu might be absorbed by Ohana once Sam's opens? I'm taking that with a grain of salt…

Tambu is the bar that people suggest over Ohana, right? They might be removed from the property if they need to transfer the liquor license because the area was maxed out for hard alcohol service.

K

From what I've been told it should remain as service for Ohana still. Also can somebody else UMOD this to Locating Tiki?

On 2014-06-10 18:59, wizzard419 wrote:
Tambu is the bar that people suggest over Ohana, right? They might be removed from the property if they need to transfer the liquor license because the area was maxed out for hard alcohol service.

Over? Tambu is right next to Ohana… You order drinks there and then go to dinner. I think.

Over as in "in favor of" mostly because they don't care about the family-dining stuff and want only specific items, if you check the yelp reviews (which can skewer it at times) they frequently suggest going to the bar over the dinner show.

[ Edited by: wizzard419 2014-06-10 20:21 ]

On 2014-06-10 19:16, kkocka wrote:
Also can somebody else UMOD this to Locating Tiki?

No, because Sam's is not open yet, so it can't be "Locating Tiki" yet. This thread will be migrated to "Locating Tiki" when Sam's is open to the public. Good suggestion, and I've already discussed doing this with our moderator, Hakalugi.

Cheers from Ft Lauderdale - I just left the Molokai Bar - neener neener! :)

On 2014-06-10 20:21, wizzard419 wrote:
Over as in "in favor of" mostly because they don't care about the family-dining stuff and want only specific items, if you check the yelp reviews (which can skewer it at times) they frequently suggest going to the bar over the dinner show.

[ Edited by: wizzard419 2014-06-10 20:21 ]

Ohhh. Gotcha. Silly. Ohana is more about the food than the show… if you want a show, head to Luau Cove.

Ace- enjoy Molokai!

Though I instantly have to knock off points for a review when the first words out of people's mouth is about the quantity of food. Kind of like how people proclaim cruises are the best thing ever because they can stuff their faces the entire time.

^^ THAT.

The revue has a few good points and some authentic dancing, but there's also Hawaii 5-0 and Lilo and Stitch.

The Mai Kai is better. :)

It would make sense to scale back Tambu's "lounge" area a bit. Anyone who wants that experience would be better off heading down to Trader Sam's. But I'm sure the bar will still exist to service the second floor restaurants. From what I've heard, 'Ohana will just get a refurb. Kona is a great place for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so I'm sure it's not going anywhere. But it would not surprise me if it gets a name and/or decor change.

It looks like Tambu gets a decent chunk of business from Ohana because people go there and get cocktails while waiting for their seating.

Ohana isn't getting a refurb until this madness is finished, I feel. They need to keep SOME draw open at the Poly while construction goes on.

I'm surprised they aren't getting a refresh before the renovations are done just so you don't have the experience of going from "New" to "Old and busted".

Perhaps, though, Ohana still looks pretty great. We had the corner table on Friday night and everything was superb. :)

I was at the Tambu Lounge last week and talked to the bartender about the upcoming changes. He said the Lounge would still be there because it serves 'Ohana. He also said Trader Sam's would have indoor seating for about 50 as well as some outdoor seating. Sounds plausible, but CMs aren't necessarily in the loop when it comes to final plans.

Captain Cook's has moved to a new temporary location. Construction of what appear to be DVC "Grand Villas" is underway on pilings just off the beach in front of the Hawaii building.

K

So far that's pretty much in line with what I've been told/reported as well. Tambu isn't going anywhere and Sam's is slightly larger than CA but not terribly so.

I'm guessing there isn't that much space to work with.

I would hope that the outdoor seating is centered around the new pool area that they'll be building. That could tie in, nicely. Grog GROTTO, after all.

We got some news about Grog Grotto last night at the Mahaloween event, last night, it seems!

New mugs! Based off of the face found on the old Tangaroa Terrace building!

Another mug...

and the shirt/logo!

So cool!

I need one of those shirts!

I need 20 of each. LOL.

K

As of now the shirt is supposed to only be on orange - dunno what the blue business is about but of course anything can change. The mugs are also supposedly for the Poly gift shop and not for Trader Sam's Grog Grotto.

You know what? I think I actually prefer that. More accessible. And that means that they'll be stocked more often.

Mahalo for the photos EPCOTExplorer. I've incorporated them into my recent post that covers not only the latest news on Trader Sam's Grog Grotto coming soon to the Polynesian, but also a full report and photos from Mahaloween Luau at Disneyland, and a special drink recipe. WDW, get ready for Uh-Oa!
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/?p=8559

My pleasure. :)

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/the-resort/dining/item/205-trader-sams-grog-grotto

A new page on Tikiman's site pulls together a bunch of info on Trader Sam's. Sorry, still no opening date, but he does include some info I haven't see before about the size of the bar and exact amount of seating:

"Trader Sam's Grog Grotto will have an interior that is about the same square footage as the Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar but the layout will be much different and I believe it will flow better. It will seat about 45 and that includes the 17 bar stools."

However, the outdoor seating looks to be much more expansive than Disneyland:

"Something that will be improved over the bar out west will be the outdoor patio. The outdoor seating at the Enchanted Tiki Bar is a great place to relax and enjoy drinks and live music but can often get crowded. The one at the Polynesian will be larger and hopefully not fill up as fast. It will also have its own outdoor bar to support the guests enjoying the patio. This patio will be just outside the old arcade (where the bar is going) and will have views of the marina and lagoon just beyond the new Nanea pool deck that will go through a renovation starting in Summer 2014 and finish by April 2015. The patio will be mostly covered with tables of 4 and a few padded loungers near the doors into the bar. The loungers have seating for about 9. The tables are across a patio that merges into a seating area for Captain Cook's. This is similar to how the Enchanted Tiki Bar seating runs up against the seating for Tangaroa Terrace but as some point they do not serve alcohol past certain tables. It looks like about 72 seats are on the bar side and 64 seats are near Captain Cook's. Total Seating on the outdoor patio looks to be 145.

T

Thanks for the post Hurricane, does NOT look like a carbon copy of TS @ DL. Outdoor seating will be critical since a large group could monopolize the interior seats quickly.

The latest from Tikiman's website:

"Trader Sam’s construction is on the schedule through December and speaking to people on the project I was told it might be more like next summer before it opens. I wonder if this has anything to do with it opening around the time of the pool since Trader Sam’s patio is right up against the new pool deck."

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/news/item/218-november-report

T

Hurricane, read the link article interesting. One concern with this project will be the general public access to TS at WDW whenever it opens in 2015 (??). ITS part of the Poly, not like TS at Disneyland which is next to their DTD in Anaheim.

K

Anybody can access the hotels of Walt Disney World, so while it is not as easily accessible as Anaheim it is still a hotel bar that you can visit anytime. It's not exclusive to hotel guests only.

Yeah, the only thing that is exclusive to people staying at that property is usually swimming pools.

Factor in that getting to the Poly Hotel is as simple as jumping on a monorail from the Magic Kingdom. What you would have to do to get to the ticketing/parking lot or to go towards Epcot.

So it really shouldn't be a problem.

The only key will be is that (just like with most of the stuff) they will not likely promote it beyond vacation info stuff (the trip planning and in room info) and social media. So guests may not be aware of it unless they were at the hotel itself.

T

The point I was trying to make is that TS @ Disneyland is more accessible since its more part of Anaheim's Downtown Disney than the future WDW TS as part of the overall Poly experience.

K

On 2014-11-19 13:44, Thortiki wrote:
The point I was trying to make is that TS @ Disneyland is more accessible since its more part of Anaheim's Downtown Disney than the future WDW TS as part of the overall Poly experience.

Its just unfortunate that the Disneyland Hotel is right next door to Downtown Disney (the number of people who say "Trader Sam's in Downtown Disney" irks me to no end!). But that same theme is what you get when you have a difference in the lot of land between the two coasts.

On 2014-11-19 12:32, wizzard419 wrote:
The only key will be is that (just like with most of the stuff) they will not likely promote it beyond vacation info stuff (the trip planning and in room info) and social media. So guests may not be aware of it unless they were at the hotel itself.

With it being the same size as Trader Sam's in the Disneyland hotel area, is that really a bad thing? The amount of folks visiting those theme parks and after hour... I'm not sure you need to promote it much more to make it a success and crowded as all hell.

My 2 cents:

I like the fact that the bar is going to be the same size as the original, which should maintain the intimate feel and allow for all the cool effects. But they might not have had much choice considering the space it occupies. I don't think it could be much bigger indoors. The regulars and locals will figure out the best times to go when the crowds aren't crazy.

When crowds are at their peak, that huge patio should be able to absorb most of the overflow. I don't think there's another resort bar on Disney World property with that much adjacent seating. The fact that it's somewhat tucked away in the Poly is a big bonus at WDW. If it were in Downtown Disney, it would be overrun every night. A bar like Trader Sam's should be a little difficult to get to.

On 2014-11-19 12:32, wizzard419 wrote:

Regardless, locals are going to eat it up. Parking will be a mess. haha

My advice to locals (or WDW passholders) is to get a Tables in Wonderland card ... http://tablesinwonderland.com

If you visit frequently, it's a great perk. Free valet parking at any resort where you use the card. Of course, you need to tip, but the convenience is worth it. And you get 20% off meals (including alcohol) at most sit-down restaurants and many other locations, including bars. And you can use it for up to a party of 10. I've used it many times at the Tambu Lounge.

Currently, it's $125 for Florida residents, $100 for annual/seasonal passholders and Disney Vacation Club members. It's usually good for 13 months. If you go to WDW a lot and frequent the bars and restaurants, do the math and see if it works for you.

On 2014-11-20 01:01, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
My 2 cents:

I like the fact that the bar is going to be the same size as the original, which should maintain the intimate feel and allow for all the cool effects. But they might not have had much choice considering the space it occupies. I don't think it could be much bigger indoors. The regulars and locals will figure out the best times to go when the crowds aren't crazy.

When crowds are at their peak, that huge patio should be able to absorb most of the overflow. I don't think there's another resort bar on Disney World property with that much adjacent seating. The fact that it's somewhat tucked away in the Poly is a big bonus at WDW. If it were in Downtown Disney, it would be overrun every night. A bar like Trader Sam's should be a little difficult to get to.

This is also the same reason why the DLR version is small, they reused a space that was once a bar/retail/arcade.

F

On 2014-11-20 12:36, wizzard419 wrote:
This is also the same reason why the DLR version is small, they reused a space that was once a bar/retail/arcade.

Actually (Finky099 pushes his glasses up from nose to forehead), the space Disneyland's TS currently shares with Tangaroa Terrace was most recently a restaurant called Hook's Pointe. I think you're thinking of the building that houses Lost Bar, retail, etc., which was across from this building, where they put the new "Monorail" pool.

Sorry, my Disnerdiness just got in the way of my tiki-nerdiness.
:drink:

Bitch, please... you have to go further back, to the previous bar (which was also the location of the RC boats prior to being moved to rainforest café and after being moved from the giant lagoon. Additionally there was (where the actual bar is) a hotel shop that featured a glass blower/polisher and the arcade moved behind it after it was displaced from the lagoon. I think the bottle shop also did a stint there before it was moved over by the Oriental Gardens.

P

On 2014-11-20 19:21, wizzard419 wrote:
Bitch, please... you have to go further back, to the previous bar...

Amateurs. :wink: Can't even name the old bar? Wharf Bar. Although for a few years it was renamed Aussie's Pub, back during the Crocodile Dundee daze/craze.

Before Hook's Pointe (and for most of its life), the restaurant was called The Shipyard Inn. And hidden beneath were Trader Sam's is now, was one of Disney's best kept secrets...the Wine Cellar...a small, quiet and cozy full service wine bar practically hidden away down in the...well...cellar. Was THE best spot to get away from the crowds and kids while at Disney. Many regulars. Relatively very few tourists ever could find or ventured down there. Miss it.

Although finky099 is correct. Where Trader Sam's is now...there was never a bar in that location. Just Shipyard Inn/Hook's Pointe, and the Wine Cellar down below. The only bar in that area was across the walkway (Wharf Bar).

[ Edited by: PremEx 2014-11-20 22:39 ]

The seating outside for Grog Grotto will be larger than what is at the Enchanted Tiki bar and the inside square footage is slightly larger at Grog Grotto. Also the way it is laid out at Grog Grotto will make it much easier to get around. While I believe it will be very crowded at first I think after a while it will become more manageable because of the fact that it is not adjacent to something like Downtown Disney (as kkocka pointed out). The Polynesian still can get very crowded as we see from having the Luau and ‘Ohana but they are not going to make parking easy. They will be checking for room or dining reservations and since you can’t make a reservation for Trader Sam’s, people will have to valet or park elsewhere and monorail in. Not sure what will happen if Valet hits capacity. I think once the Oasis pool opens with its new bar and grill that will give some of the resort guests a place to hang out and hopefully Tangaroa will not be as packed.

I think the new affects inside Trader Sam’s will be an attraction but for me I look forward to siting on the patio and enjoying the view, something that the Enchanted Tiki bar does not have from its patio. Also service should be better on the Grog Grotto patio since it will have its own service bar outside. Service last weekend at Trader Sam’s patio was horribly slow.

tikiman2001, are they still projecting a March 31 opening date?

My tip for locals or other day guests coming just to enjoy Trader Sam's: Make an early or late dinner reservation at Kona Cafe, which is usually not very difficult. They should allow you to park at the resort for that. If not, bite the bullet and pay to park at Magic Kingdom, then walk from the TTC. Also, there's always a bus from Downtown Disney to the Poly and the Magic Kingdom. Hopefully parking remains free there.

On 2015-01-23 12:48, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
tikiman2001, are they still projecting a March 31 opening date?

My tip for locals or other day guests coming just to enjoy Trader Sam's: Make an early or late dinner reservation at Kona Cafe, which is usually not very difficult. They should allow you to park at the resort for that. If not, bite the bullet and pay to park at Magic Kingdom, then walk from the TTC. Also, there's always a bus from Downtown Disney to the Poly and the Magic Kingdom. Hopefully parking remains free there.

That is still the plan. I think they are trying to open a little earlier but Staff won't even know if they are selected to work there until first week of March. Just like with the pool opening dates, you get a different answer depending on who at Disney you ask. Management is even telling staff that the pool will be done March 1 and construction told me no way.

I did get confirmation that the bar area will be 21 and older after 8:00 PM.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 491 replies