Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Sam's - Orlando

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 491 replies

The latest from Tikiman:

"There is also word that Trader Sam’s is expected to be completed by February 2015 but no start date has been mentioned. Not too long ago, people were being told by CMs at the resort that Trader Sam's was not going to happen. I think with all the information now out there about things going on at the resort a lot of false rumors are starting to be spread."

Here's his full report: http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/news/item/197-news-and-observations

I'll try to get some more info and post ASAP.

K
kkocka posted on Sun, Feb 9, 2014 1:09 PM

Yeah this is a pretty hot topic over at the WDWmagic forums. A lot of false rumors/poor ideas are easily spread. I feel like there's a lot of misunderstanding over Sam's in general on the Florida end.

T

WDW Magic is a Disney Park fan chat site. To their credit some of the Tiki members here are trying to inform the LTI(Low Tiki Info) people over there, what Trader Sam's is all about. Thortiki

Yeah, the hardcore Disney (especially WDW) fans can be "rabid," to say the least. They're currently freaking out because the Magic Kingdom got rid of a talking trash can (don't ask).

But with construction at the Poly perhaps stretching into 2016 or beyond, it makes sense that they would try to quickly build out Trader Sam's (and perhaps a stand-alone Dole Whip shop) to add amenities and keep the natives happy. Not to mention keep the hotel solidly booked.

[ Edited by: kenbo-jitsu 2014-02-18 15:07 ]

Here's my latest story, pulling together all the news and rumors ...

Disney World announces refurbishment schedule for Polynesian Resort, but no word on Trader Sam’s

One year from now, stepping into Disney’s Polynesian Resort in Orlando could be a much different experience. With construction on the 42-year-old iconic hotel’s timeshare additions in full swing, work appears to be moving forward on the resort’s nerve center, the Great Ceremonial House.

Check out the latest updates on The Atomic Grog: http://wp.me/p1xHjT-1Tt

F

Hurricane, thanks for the update - going over to read it now.

T

We were there last week @ Ohana's had what they called a Zombie(NOT)food & service was also a bit off from prior visits. Hope the Poly refurb will look into lighting, the ground floor is so dark need a miners carbide lamp to see. Thortiki

I've had similar experiences at the Tambu Lounge. When I asked the bartenders specific questions about the pedigree of their cocktail recipes, they have politely conceded that theirs are "the Disney versions." I took that to mean fewer ingredients, less expensive ingredients, and therefore less complexity and balance than what we are accustomed to in the authentic recipes. In other words, "tourist fare" which appeals to a very broad audience who generally have less discriminating taste. The dining at O'hana is always wonderful and fun even if it is a bit pricey.

We stayed at the Polynesian last week, as well. That was my first time there and I really dug the whole vibe -- especially around the Tambu and 'Ohana. Count me among those who would love to see a Trader Sam's at the Polynesian, PROVIDED they do it right and don't cheapen it. We took our 3-year old daughter, so we were room-bound fairly early, but ordered a Zombie through room service. When I called to order, I asked if they made a Zombie and the CM said she had to look it up to see if that was on the list -- after taking a few moments to look, she reported that it was. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't a real zombie, either. The bartender had evidently added the bitters on top after he poured it, so my first sip (don't know why I didn't use a straw) was rather bitter. Wish I had stirred it all up first, but even though I probably consumed all of the bitters in that first sip, the rest of the drink still seemed balanced and not overly sweet, as was my fear when I took the gamble in ordering it.

Good call, a very brave cocktail order! Being adventurous and willing to take a chance on things has led to many discoveries for me, some good, some not so good. I find that the good discoveries outweigh all the other bad.

Bartenders are often improvisational artists. Their bar is their palette, and your palate is their canvas.

K

On 2014-02-19 08:34, AceExplorer wrote:
Bartenders are often improvisational artists. Their bar is their palette, and your palate is their canvas.

Like all improv artists, they're often bad. :D I imagine when Sam's is at the Poly, Tambu will have a revised recipe for their Mai Tai.

Tambu actually has some good bartenders, they just have to follow "marching orders" from the food & beverage folks and rarely are allowed to improvise. They also have to service both restaurants as well as the bar, so it can get busy. That being said, I've been impressed with some of the recent offerings on the "standard" bar menu that's available across property. Disney seems to be putting a bit of thought into it. Give the Pineapple Caipirinha or Smoked Turkey a shot.

Good to hear that they're still making some semblance of a Zombie, and are actually using bitters. It was on the last full-blown Tambu menu, along with the Scorpion and a few others. I seem to recall it being decent but nothing special. But now most bars are limited to just a couple unique drinks (at Tambu it's the Lapu Lapu and Backscratcher) on the menu. The bartenders who've been there awhile can also still make a pretty decent Scorpion. All the drinks are definitely "Disney-fied" (aka dumbed-down for the masses), but typically have some relation to the original. The Backscratcher is their version of the Tropical Itch (Hawaiian Village version), which also featured bourbon and the backscratcher (see Beachbum Berry's Remixed, page 163).

Of course, Trader Sam's would be a welcome addition. I'm trying to get independent confirmation that it's coming, but no luck yet.

K

On 2014-02-19 11:53, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Give the Pineapple Caipirinha or Smoked Turkey a shot.

Haha, my bartender buddy at the WDW resorts went off on how awful the Smoked Turkey is from the moment it was being created and added to the universal resorts menu, complete with Monin smoke syrup. I guess everybody certainly has their own tastes and preferences, but it was a shared opinion with a lot of the higher grade 'tenders.

Re the Smoked Turkey: I had that drink at the Crew's Cup at the Yacht Club, sitting next to a wall of raw meat, so it seemed to be appropriate at the time. But I still rather liked the combination of Wild Turkey 101 and Red Stag Black Cherry bourbons. If it lasts, I'll have to try it again to make sure my taste buds weren't deceiving me.

HH thanks for the updates on what's happening with the Polysnesian hotel and Trader Sam's.

I am from Florida and actually really miss the theme parks there more than anything else. Sorry but Disneyland's castle can fit into Disney World's castle thus proving DW is better hands down :)

I will keep checking on this thread for any TS updates you may find out--thanks alot!

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2014-02-20 09:42 ]

T

With Disney its all about the bottom line $$$ profits. TS @ WDW will certainly happen in conjunction with the Poly refurb. Lets hope they establish & maintain Tiki drink standards after it opens

When I visited Trader Sam's in Anaheim I found that their drinks had been customized by their consultants to be unique for Disney. The same would likely be true if Sam's is built in Orlando. Over the course of a long evening I spoke to a couple of their very friendly bartenders and my impression was that the emphasis was on entertainment and enjoyment versus recipe authenticity. They do sell some very fun mugs, though, and I added a couple to my collection.

I'm going to have to look up their drink menu online later - I think someone posted some scans a while back.

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2014-02-20 14:32 ]

If you want a true "Disney Tiki" experience at Tambu, ask for Walter, and order something off the Menu. The 'Seven Seas' is an Old Time disney drink from the first days of the Poly. It's an original, and has a decent balance. He will also make a version of the Zombie, Navy Grog, Scorpion, Classic Mai Tai, or Fogcutter. And of course the Backscratcher is pretty true.

K

The drinks that exist in California will be available in Florida, made correctly or at least as per its current recipes. Some of the current drinks might not be 100% the same as the originals, but I don't believe they're far off in any ridiculous sense. Their mai tai is a mai tai. Some of the current crew are very insistent that any new drinks are not to be the sugary messes of old Disneyland and pay correct homage to the tiki and mixology culture.

Piratiki, I totally agree about Walter. I've unfortunately missed him on most of my recent visits, but I look for him every time I'm there. In November 2012, he celebrated 25 years with Disney, so I'm sure he gets the choice hours nowadays.

Here's a classic menu from 1975. Dig those horrible '70s fonts.

My guess is Trader Sam's will be a slight improvement.

P

Hurricane:

Walter is off Mon, Tues, Wed. The FT bartenders work 4 10-12 hour days. Of course he occasionally goes on Vacation...

Sadly, the other full timer that knew the drinks and the History, Clinta, has moved to the bar at the newly renovated California Grill.

It's ironic that you posted that Menu--it's mine! I'm the one that sent the scans to Steve.

If you are ever up here and want to tip a few at Tambu or whatever, let me know. Or I will look you up at Hukilau.

Scott

S

Disney posted some information on their web site today about the Poly remodel and the new Trader Sam's. Apparently they are reverting the name of the resort back to Disney Polynesian Village Resort. Also the Sam's in Orlando will be called Trader Sam's Grog Grotto.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/plans-for-a-re-imagined-disneys-polynesian-resort-include-a-nostalgic-name-change/

A couple concept paintings were also posted.

P

Great update; can't wait to find out more!

My Dad and I went to a luau at Disney World (presumably the Polynesian Resort?) when I was a kid, which I barely remember; I think it was my first exposure to Polynesian ... well, anything.

My gf and I were talking about going to Trader Sam's in Anaheim just last night. I just found out about it.

Exciting news!

K
kkocka posted on Fri, May 2, 2014 8:25 AM

I've read the words "It will be a family-oriented location." from another article. Hope that doesn't mean children running around at night, yeesh. =\

S

On 2014-05-02 08:25, kkocka wrote:
I've read the words "It will be a family-oriented location." from another article. Hope that doesn't mean children running around at night, yeesh. =

I don't go terribly often to the Anaheim Trader Sam's, but during the day children inside the bar portion isn't uncommon. Personally I was happy to see a family sitting having a meal inside Sam's. The look in the kids eyes at all the details and during the interactive drink event moments, such as the Shipwreck on the Rocks, was priceless. I was happey knowing those kids could grow up having a very positive attitude towards Tiki bars in general, and possibly becoming the next generation of people keeping the Tiki spirit alive.

Those who go at night to Sam's might comment on the atmosphere at those hours :wink:

P

Well I can only speak for myself in saying that I'm excited to be the one watching in wide-eyed wonder, haha!

I wouldn't read too much into the "family-oriented" reference. It's Disney World, of course it won't exclude families. Of the hundreds of bars and restaurants on property, there's probably only one that doesn't allow children (Victoria & Albert's). If you're a parent on vacation with your kids, this can be a godsend.

The Polynesian attracts lots of families. With its prime location in the lobby, I'd expect Trader Sam's to cater to guests with kids during the day and into the early evening. But like most other WDW bars, it will become more adult as it gets later.

I'm working on a report for my blog on today's announcement, trying to dig up some exclusive little tidbits of info.

K
kkocka posted on Fri, May 2, 2014 5:49 PM

Well keep in mind that Sam's is likely to go in the now-defunct arcade, a bit more removed than the lobby where Tambu Lounge is.

F

On 2014-05-02 09:20, SBJiminyC wrote:

On 2014-05-02 08:25, kkocka wrote:
I've read the words "It will be a family-oriented location." from another article. Hope that doesn't mean children running around at night, yeesh. =

I don't go terribly often to the Anaheim Trader Sam's, but during the day children inside the bar portion isn't uncommon. Personally I was happy to see a family sitting having a meal inside Sam's. The look in the kids eyes at all the details and during the interactive drink event moments, such as the Shipwreck on the Rocks, was priceless. I was happey knowing those kids could grow up having a very positive attitude towards Tiki bars in general, and possibly becoming the next generation of people keeping the Tiki spirit alive.

Those who go at night to Sam's might comment on the atmosphere at those hours :wink:

I don't think Keith's issue is specifically with children, as much as it is a potential concern for the Orlando folks "watering down" the Trader Sam"'s experience we know in Anaheim. And, given TD Orlando's history, I don't think it's unwarranted. But, the issue isn't having kids around, it's "how" TS could be changed to cater to the WDW demographic, which is different than the typical one in Anaheim.

I see children around TS a lot and am glad they enjoy it without it needing to be "cutesy" or pandering to what some corporate executive thinks is kindergarten-friendly. A very good friend of mine goes to the Parks with his family a lot and his 8yr old and 4 yr old love going to Sam's. They have requested on many occasions to leave the Park specifically to have dinner at Sam's. Proof that the concept can work for both families and non-families.

T

Kids are allowed in Trader Sam's @ DL, but can not sit at the bar with their parents & that IS strictly enforced!

I love the inclusion of 20k leagues in the concept drawings. I have always thought that movie, while not specifically tiki, really fit well with it, so I hope those ideas make it through to final. Also if they do a nautilus submarine bowl like in the concept I will be down there so fast to get one all you will see is one of the cartoon dust outlines as I leave Texas. :)

[ Edited by: Mockingbird 2014-05-04 06:23 ]

Call tiki farm and see if they are working on it, they make the mugs for the DLR one.

Here's my full story on Trader Sam's coming to Disney World, with info gleaned from a number of sites and sources, plus some stuff I don't think has been published before. And an added bonus: A special cocktail recipe to welcome Sam to Orlando.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/05/05/say-aloha-to-trader-sams-grog-grotto-at-disneys-polynesian-village-resort/

Of most interest to folks here on TC:

Steve “Tikiman” Seifert is reporting that the seating capacity of Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto will be 50 inside and 80 outside overlooking the soon-to-be refurbished pool. He said that with the work on the lobby now extending deeper into 2015, it's possible that Trader Sam's will also get pushed out from what he previously announced (February opening). He mentioned rumored changes to Kona Cafe, but nothing major at Tambu Lounge or 'Ohana. He also said that "other things that will be added around the resort" will continue with the Adventureland theme.

Another person with inside sources says that the giant Tiki that's depicted in the rendering above in the center of the Great Ceremonial House (replacing the current water feature) may stand up to 15 feet tall. I didn't include it in the article since I couldn't really confirm it, but the same person is saying that Kevin & Jody are working on Tikis for the lobby, and that when the torch-lighting returns it will have its own area with hula dancers.

I posted some info I was given about the development of Trader Sam's in Anaheim, including a link to the old Polynesian (see image above).

Lastly, I created The Trader’s Polynesian Aloha Grog as a tribute to both the old Polynesian and the coming of Trader Sam's.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/05/05/say-aloha-to-trader-sams-grog-grotto-at-disneys-polynesian-village-resort/#polynesian-grog

Okole maluna!

On 2014-05-02 15:54, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
I wouldn't read too much into the "family-oriented" reference. It's Disney World, of course it won't exclude families. Of the hundreds of bars and restaurants on property, there's probably only one that doesn't allow children (Victoria & Albert's). If you're a parent on vacation with your kids, this can be a godsend.

The Polynesian attracts lots of families. With its prime location in the lobby, I'd expect Trader Sam's to cater to guests with kids during the day and into the early evening. But like most other WDW bars, it will become more adult as it gets later.

I'm working on a report for my blog on today's announcement, trying to dig up some exclusive little tidbits of info.

Not only that, but FL Law prevents kids from sitting at the bar. If they post the same rules as Disneyland Sam's, it should be fine.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/disneys-polynesian-resort-to-open-club-disney-in-june-trader-sams-in-2015/

"We previously shared that a Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto, similar to the one at Disneyland Hotel in California, is also planned for the resort. Today we’re happy to share that Trader Sam’s will open its doors at the resort in 2015. In addition another new food and beverage location, Pineapple Lenai kiosk which will offer a tropical guest favorite – Dole Whip – will open later this year."

Hooray Dole Whips!!!

Love the new art… looks like an Audio Animatronic Uh Oa will be making her way into Sam's.

What's funny is that she's an old character from the remake of the Tiki Room that played up until 2011. I had always said that she was better as a joke/nod in Trader Sam's than as a full blown character in a "hip and edgy" tiki room.

Also: think there's going to be multiple rooms in the new Sam's? The lighting differences between this piece of art and the other one suggests it.

It might, but Trader Sams at DLR has the lights/effects that change throughout your visit as well as when specific drinks are ordered.

On 2014-05-15 14:56, wizzard419 wrote:
It might, but Trader Sams at DLR has the lights/effects that change throughout your visit as well as when specific drinks are ordered.

Good point. Still- eager to see this. It'll be nice, having a 'local' branch of Sam's, instead of having to get on a plane…

Tikiman has some new info on his website, including more on Trader Sam's:

"The outdoor seating will be much larger than the one at Disneyland and will stretch toward the new pool deck area. It will also have its own outside bar to serve customers who are outside."

He also mentions all the projects at the resort being completed "around next March or April."

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/news/item/204-may-news-and-updates

Oooh, a enlarged lanai would be lovely, on the Seven Seas Lagoon.... torches aglow at night...

T

ACCESS to proposed Trader Sam's @ WDW???

1. TS @ Disneyland has easy access thru their downtown Disney parking lot for 3 hours free.

2. SO how will a group of Tikiphiles be able to access the proposed TS @ WDW if they are not on the Poly's gatekeeper list for staying at the Poly or eating reservation at Ohana's for example???

When Sam's opens, the guard at the gate may let you in free-of-charge if you tell you're there to dine at the resort. I did this when I went this past weekend (saw Alan Parsons live in concert at Epcot) and beforehand spent quite a bit of time roaming around at the Poly. Later, after the concerts, I had drinks at Tambu and confirmed with bartender John my suspicion of where Sam's is going to be located in the building. I'll post a cell phone photo later.

One thing of note -- the fountain is still there with the entire upper balcony obstructed by a very thin (temporary?) "construction" wall. Not sure what purpose it serves at this time, but it does block the view down into the lobby and the fountain.

I'm thinking of announcing a meetup for us to meet, walk around, take photos before the remodel, and have a few drinks at Tambu before the end of June. The place is really beautiful. We should all see it and meet at least once before things change.

You can walk or monorail to the Poly from the Ticket & Transportation Center, or you can take a boat or monorail from the Magic Kingdom, or take the monorail from the Grand Floridian or from the Contemporary. Your best bet is probably the TTC, parking is $17.

Disney transportation is, technically, reserved for guests at the resorts but in 20 years of going to WDW I've never seen anyone get carded. That said, it's probably easiest just to park at TTC and walk over.

We'll be there for a few days before heading down to the Hukilau, I'll try to remember to shoot some photos of the remodel. Or maybe I'll just shoot some photos of the view from my bar stool at the Tambu Lounge.

[ Edited by: Wichita Lime Man 2014-05-21 09:23 ]

T

Ace & Wichita,

Your posts have highlighted a big hassle WDW has created for the proposed Traders Sam's by locating it at the Poly & NOT Downtown Disney:

1. In Anaheim you park in the lot free for at least 3 hours, walk across the lot behind the Disneyland Hotel & your there at TS. No fuss no muss!

2. At WDW its not just the amount of the parking fee, but the hassle of getting there after you pay. Disney is NOT making it easy for the general Tiki public to patronize a new TS.

3. Bet if a quality Tiki bar was opened on International Drive, park walk right in with consistent quality Tiki drinks & décor to match you would beat the socks off a TS the way Disney is setting it up in Orlando.

Thortiki, I agree on all counts. Without straying too far off-topic, my opinion is that the suits in Anaheim seem to believe the margins are far better if they lease DD/PI space to outside chains (Bongos, House of Blues, etc.) as opposed to having company-owned properties like they did in the heyday of Pleasure Island.

We cannot assume that outsiders are part of the audience for Sam's, otherwise they would be putting it in a more accessible location. Keep in mind that the Poly is being updated. The scope of the project includes additional high-end rooms on stilts as well as future additions for DVC members. The property will experience and uptick in demand which could span many years if not decades. By putting a "nugget" like Sam's at the Poly:

1. You reward DVC members and hotel guests with a unique experience conveniently placed at their resort.
  2. You reduce "outsider" traffic and overcrowding from the public-at-large and from many of the high-volume conventions which hit Orlando throughout the year. This is a known problem at Sam's Anaheim which they seem to be working to avoid in Orlando.

Sam's Orlando is expected to be a plussed version of Sam's Anaheim although without the smaller and more intimate feeling we get in Anaheim.

I would also not rule out a location in Downtown Disney yet. The concept at the Poly will likely be very popular. Although Disney is not in the habit of duplicating things, I can see a benefit to putting something similar to Sam's in the new Disney Springs. It would basically be a big mall if only lessees are to be tenants in Disney Springs. That could suck. But let's see what Disney and Schussler Creative come up with (and actually build) in Disney Springs.

I can't remember the Trader Sam backstory, but I do seem to recall his activities and adventures took place on the African continent and not in the islands of the South Pacific. Is the whole Trader Sam's tiki thing a bit out of place, or is it just me and early-onset Alzheimers?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 491 replies