Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Sam's - Orlando

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 491 replies

UPDATE: Tikiman just posted photos of tables and chairs going out onto the patio. We're getting closer than I thought ...

They were just testing out table patterns. They are all stacked up again to get the lift in there so they could string up the tiki lights. The inside of TS is done and CMs have been in there but they are not allowed to even bring a phone or camera in. They are ready to go and I am sure they will be ready to open next week. The bartenders have been training up at Tambu all week.

On 2015-03-18 09:52, tikiman2001 wrote:
The bartenders have been training up at Tambu all week.

Tikiman, good to hear. Do you know if they were serving Grog Grotto drinks during their training at Tambu? If yes, then the usual bar layout at Tambu must have been supplemented with a number of new spirits, at least temporarily.

I'm curious to see what, if anything, will be covering the patio area given the hot, humid, and rainy weather during the summer months in central Florida.

I can offer some insight. They have been training at Tambu on Tambu's menu because they will be working at Tambu occasionally. The Sam's bartenders are statused as "Polynesian Bartenders," not "Trader Sam's Bartenders." They are expected to be cross-utilized at all of the Polynesian bars, as business dictates. Tambu has the same menu with the same products right now since the menu was updated last fall (updates reflected the generic Disney lounge menu changes; no changes to the Tambu-specific cocktails).

I, too, hope they will get new products behind their bar once Sam's opens, as do the Tambu bartenders.

[ Edited by: Tiki_Koro 2015-03-18 11:43 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki_Koro 2015-03-26 08:40 ]

Thanks, Tiki_Koro, for the additional insights. I agree that Tambu would benefit greatly from an expanded selection of syrups and spirits. At the very least I'd like to see them become able to make a real Mai-Tai, although when you ask they do try to make do with what they are provided with. I've always enjoyed the friendly service. Hope to see you soon at Sam's!

So glad it's all coming together! We went ahead and booked rooms at the new Cabana Bay resort at Universal (substantially cheaper than Disney's Polynesian, like a fourth the price) for April 20-22. We'll probably get a park hopper pass at Universal to see the new Harry Potter stuff during the day and we'll have two nights that we can drive out to Sam's, Downtown Disney, or whatever else might be fun over there. I think it's like 20 min away?

Anyone have suggestions on restaurants, bars, or anything else we definitely need to check out while in the area? And what should we do for parking?

Mike, while some would disagree with me, I would recommend a visit to the relatively new Aku Aku tiki bar in the Lake Eola suburb of Orlando and not too far from Universal. Their atmosphere is nice, drinks are decent, and they are showing Orlando a thing or two about how a tiki bar should be done. And the Lake Eola area is beautiful in its own right.

Yes, the Disney parks and resorts are about 30 minutes south of Universal depending on traffic. Scope out, ahead of time, the frontage road between Sand Lake Rd and Lake Buena Vista Rd to potentially bypass any traffic jam on I-4 as you approach Disney.

If you're in the Disney parks & resorts, consider visiting Beaches & Cream for ice cream and diner food in a very nice and small diner atmosphere - it is a guaranteed hit every time we go. Look for it directly behind (adjacent to) the shared swimming pool between the Beach Club and the Yacht Club resorts and across the lagoon from Disney's Boardwalk. It's between Epcot and the Swan and Dolphin. I know this is confusing, but it's actually correct.

On 2015-03-18 10:47, AceExplorer wrote:

On 2015-03-18 09:52, tikiman2001 wrote:
The bartenders have been training up at Tambu all week.

Tikiman, good to hear. Do you know if they were serving Grog Grotto drinks during their training at Tambu? If yes, then the usual bar layout at Tambu must have been supplemented with a number of new spirits, at least temporarily.

I'm curious to see what, if anything, will be covering the patio area given the hot, humid, and rainy weather during the summer months in central Florida.

As Tiki Koro mentioned the bartenders at the Polynesian will be expected to do a rotation to all the bars at some point. I did not hear they were going any of the TS drinks at Tambu and I would not expect that they will. I don’t see them stocking all the specialty mugs and added ingredients at Tambu.
There are no plans at this point to cover the patio for either Trader Sam’s or Captain Cook’s outdoor seating.

They had a special event inside TSGG last night. The place is amazing inside but it will not appeal to those who are hardcore tiki bar aficionados . It will appeal more to those who enjoyed Adventurers Club. While they have some amazing tiki artifacts inside, it is a much more nautical theme. It is much different that the TS out west but I think that it is good that they did not just make a copy of the Enchanted Tiki Bar.
It will be open to the public on March 26.

Tikiman, thanks for the updates, and for the confirmation of a public opening date! If they had a special event in the place last night, then it sounds like it's completely finished. Do you have any info on who the lucky group last night was?

On 2015-03-19 07:30, AceExplorer wrote:
Tikiman, thanks for the updates, and for the confirmation of a public opening date! If they had a special event in the place last night, then it sounds like it's completely finished. Do you have any info on who the lucky group last night was?

It was a group of Disney VIPs. They were just checking out the place. They don’t have their liquor license yet.

On 2015-03-19 06:46, tikiman2001 wrote:

I don’t see them stocking all the specialty mugs and added ingredients at Tambu.

I don't expect them to, either, nor do I expect them to promote the exclusive drinks from the Sam's menu. But, I hope Tambu can carry some better rums and at least orgeat and falernum. Over at Golden Oak, we carry Appleton Extra 12 yr, Rhum Celment VSOP, and Don Q Gran Anejo (in addition to the Disney core well brands), orgeat, falernum, passion fruit, and house-made cinnamon syrups, and DeGroff's Pimento Bitters. And we're not a tiki bar or even remotely Polynesian themed! Tambu deserves much better, and if it cannot rise above being 'Ohana's anteroom, then at least Tambu's loyal patrons should be able to drown out the kids with some quality rum cocktails!

On 2015-03-19 08:23, Tiki_Koro wrote:

On 2015-03-19 06:46, tikiman2001 wrote:

I don’t see them stocking all the specialty mugs and added ingredients at Tambu.

I don't expect them to, either, nor do I expect them to promote the exclusive drinks from the Sam's menu. But, I hope Tambu can carry some better rums and at least orgeat and falernum. Over at Golden Oak, we carry Appleton Extra 12 yr, Rhum Celment VSOP, and Don Q Gran Anejo (in addition to the Disney core well brands), orgeat, falernum, passion fruit, and house-made cinnamon syrups, and DeGroff's Pimento Bitters. And we're not a tiki bar or even remotely Polynesian themed! Tambu deserves much better, and if it cannot rise above being 'Ohana's anteroom, then at least Tambu's loyal patrons should be able to drown out the kids with some quality rum cocktails!

I just had a talk with someone about this and they said the other bars at the Polynesian do not have the room for the extra product so unless they remove something else I don’t see anything new being added. It will be interesting to see how they set up the new Oasis bar and if it will offer anything different than the Barefoot Bar.

Tiki_Koro, are you referring to one of the bars at the Four Seasons at Golden Oak? And if so, can you share the name and recommend some of the cocktails which feature some of these finer ingredients?

I agree with your call for an "upgrade" to the product list at Tambu, although the majority of guests at Tambu are not as discriminating as we are here. It's possible that Disney just doesn't see much benefit (or need) to expand the offerings at Tambu. But we can hope that the presence of Sam's, and the rotation of bartenders, will eventually influence Tambu.

On 2015-03-19 08:45, tikiman2001 wrote:
...the other bars at the Polynesian do not have the room for the extra product so unless they remove something else I don’t see anything new being added.

Very true! Tambu is small, and it seems to be targeted at providing libations for those who are waiting for their tables in O'hana. It's kind of a themed "time passing" bar for when you're waiting.

On 2015-03-19 08:45, tikiman2001 wrote:

I just had a talk with someone about this and they said the other bars at the Polynesian do not have the room for the extra product so unless they remove something else I don’t see anything new being added. It will be interesting to see how they set up the new Oasis bar and if it will offer anything different than the Barefoot Bar.

Sounds like a cop-out by someone satisfied with the status quo. You'd be amazed what can be accomplished by a motivated leader, sometimes even by a motivated cast member! WDW is not as heavily micro-managed as it may seem; even those tasked with managing property-wide standards are open to creative ideas and suggestions. And that's as much inside baseball I'll share for now :)

And to clarify, I was expressing my hopes for Tambu, not my expectations. They have some fine folks working over there with its best interests at heart, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were to test new products at Tambu to see what the guest response may be.

On 2015-03-19 08:47, AceExplorer wrote:
Tiki_Koro, are you referring to one of the bars at the Four Seasons at Golden Oak? And if so, can you share the name and recommend some of the cocktails which feature some of these finer ingredients?

The bar I am referring to is the private lounge and restaurant for Golden Oak residents, and, unfortunately, it is not open to the public. The bar is called Tyler's Lounge, named after the film Toby Tyler, and the restaurant is called Markham's, named after Marty Markham from Spin and Marty, both filmed at the Golden Oak Ranch in California. It is a Disney bar and not part of the Four Seasons. We ordered the ingredients for a tiki weekend party last summer, and we still carry them for when those drinks are requested. We featured the Mai Tai, Navy Grog (actually Ancient Mariner), Test Pilot, Zombie, and - the hit of the event - the Bali Bali!

Tiki_Koro, thanks for the many extra details. I'll be making a Bali Bali soon, cheers to you and your team at Tyler's in Golden Oak!

Tikiman just posted a photo of a Tiki from Oceanic Arts arriving at the Trader Sam's patio and awaiting placement. I don't like seeing him like this, but I'm sure he'll be standing proudly soon ...

He also has a video from last night's sneak preview (outside Trader Sam's), along with other photos:
https://www.facebook.com/Tikimanpages

I too hope the quality and/or selection of drinks improves at the Tambu Lounge. I gave the bar some credit as my Tiki Bar of the Week this week ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/03/17/the-week-in-tiki-march-16-2015-miller-to-remain-in-big-apple-tiki-weekenders-sell-out-in-chicago-n-j/#bar

As a service bar for both restaurants, it's never going to be a true Tiki bar, but I'm encouraged that all the bartenders are being trained on the Trader Sam's drinks. That can't hurt.

Very interesting to hear about the Tiki drinks at Golden Oak. But I should probably start playing the lottery if I ever expect to live there.

On 2015-03-19 08:00, tikiman2001 wrote:
...They don’t have their liquor license yet.

Not personally knowing anything about the liquor licensing process, is this not a cause for concern at this date?

P

The bar I am referring to is the private lounge and restaurant for Golden Oak residents, and, unfortunately, it is not open to the public. [snip] We ordered the ingredients for a tiki weekend party last summer...

Sounds like it was a blast:

http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/news-updates/event-tiki-weekend/

F

Thanks for the updates. I'm dying to see what kind of "nautical" stuff they have inside. Despite it not being as "tiki" as the original in Anaheim (which itself has quite a lot of non-tiki emphemera), it seems like a number of well-known people in the tiki arts community have been approached by Imagineers to include some of their work in the Grog Grotto. Can't wait to see what "hidden gems" will be stowed away in there.

T

LOOKING forward to consistent, quality TIki mixology @ the new WDW TS's!!!

PS Tambu Lounge has always been Ohana's holding pattern/watering hole & bartenders there have told me lack of quality/quantity bar supplies has always been an issue!

K

On 2015-03-19 15:47, finky099 wrote:
Thanks for the updates. I'm dying to see what kind of "nautical" stuff they have inside.

Check the concept art.

I came across this article about Disney from a LinkedIn emailing that I received. . I didn't see another forum to post this in regarding Disney.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/14/walt-disney-co-theme-park-could-double-in-size.aspx

I think we need to bear in mind that the name of the new place is "Traders Sam's Grog Grotto" and not "Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar."

But let's look at the Trader Sam's backstory. It's not Polynesian or tiki but a blend of jungle, Africa, explorer, boats, adventure, and the like. Sure, there are carvings and natives in and around the Trader Sam's backstory locations. But they're not tiki per se. However, because this venue is located in the Polynesian Village Resort, we should expect a fair amount of tiki and Hawaiiana integrated into the place. And, also working in our favor is the fairly recent completion of the Aulani resort. The whole Polynesia/Hawaii mindset is still fresh in the minds of the current Imagineering teams.

Different than Anaheim? Yes. Better than Anaheim? Yes and no depending on what perspective you choose to take. In any case, "Grog Grotto" should be a helluva lot of fun. I'm already looking forward to the off-season when it won't be so jam-packed and it will be easier to wander around and really look things over. I'm expecting it will be a helluva big hit with all but the most stodgy of resort guests.

I'm curious to see if any of the concept sketches will make it in in a recognizable form. They are all neat but the reality of being a bar may make them totally impractical.

The concept art makes Grog Grotto look even more Tiki than the original Trader Sam's. The only overtly "nautical" elements I'm seeing are those related to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I'm not at all tapped into what is going on there, but based on the concept art, the location in the Polynesian Village Resort and what I know about how the original Trader Sam's was based more on Adventureland and the Jungle Cruise, it wouldn't shock me if this one was more Tiki. I guess we'll see in a week or so?

Update on the Tiki going up on the patio: He's up ...

(Photo from Tikiman's Unofficial Polynesian Resort Pages on Facebook)

Also, in regards to the "nautical" theme, bear in mind that a bar (The Molokai lounge) at one of the greatest Tiki establishments in the world (The Mai-Kai in Fort Lauderdale) is a total nautical theme. If it's done right, I'm sure we're not going to mind one bit.

Also, some people forget that there is a Polynesian connection to "20,000 Leagues." The 1954 film includes scenes set in New Guinea featuring cannibals and human skulls on stakes (coincidentally a trait also attributed to Trader Sam himself).

Good discussions here ahead of the imminent opening of Sam's, it will be fun to see it when it opens.

Hurricane - good catch on the 20,000 Leagues scene in the film with cannibals, etc. I don't recall elements of the film in the Grog Grotto concept art, but am reminded that this is a theme park bar where both the imagineers and a percentage of guests fondly recall the days of the Nemo submarines in the Magic Kingdom. I would not be at all surprised to see nods to 20,000 Leagues, and to other extinct attractions like Adventurers Club, appear in Sam's. This is a good time to note that Trader Sam is himself, in the Jungle Cruise attraction, a native who sells heads. What made Sam decide to go "civilized" enough to open a bar may not be explained to us, unless of course "someone else" opened the bar and used his moniker, or maybe a woman drove him to drink.

EnchangedTikiGoth - I don't see "the concept art makes Grog Grotto look even more tiki than the original Trader Sam's" because I still see more Adventureland and Jungle Cruise in the concept art as you mentioned in your post. The giant snake is one jungle example, I don't think that there are any snakes occurring naturally in the islands of the South Pacific. Maybe it's just me, and that's ok. It would not surprise me to see less tiki than at Trader Sam's in Anaheim and more of a general "jungle" and "adventure" treatment in Grog Grotto. Then also with other almost random stuff thrown in for nostalgia and fun. There is definitely plenty of room to have incorporated tiki stuff into Sam's, but there is also a difference between jungle-style dark-continent stuff (Africana) and tiki. I am expecting an eclectic mix of Trader Sam's jungle stuff and other stuff which may have been "brought to Trader Sam" by other explorers and adventurers. I think all options were wide open to the designers with a hefty emphasis on the immersive fun.

One of the big topics we haven't really touched on in this thread are the animated features coming to Sam's. I have no inside information other than to expect the giant snake in the concept art to come to life, and also the torch-waving native (Sam himself?) to speak to us. What volcanos and other things will be triggered by ordering specific drinks? What gags will be in the place, like the famous sinking bar stools?

I love this analysis and speculation -- we're gonna have a great time seeing it when it's actually open. I claim first dibs on a really painful hangover that will make me want to go and sell "one of mine for two of his."

See you at Sam's -- VERY SOON!

Much of the Hawaiian influence that found its way into the Polynesian in the early 90’s with Clyde Min as GM have gone away in this renovation. I’m not judging it as good or bad. Years ago Imagineers told me the redesign of the Polynesian would have very little in common with Aulani and it would be more of an Adventureland feel. Many of the staff of the Polynesian (who are from Hawaii) pointed out to me that much of the new lobby artwork even has an African influence. This goes along with the Adventureland feel. Even the tikis that have always been around the Polynesian (that originated from the same molds used for the Tikiroom tikis) are not your traditional tiki carvings but Disney’s Adventureland version. Much of what Oceanic Arts did for the original Adventureland (like the masks) was more inspired by Africa, Australia and New Guinea.

Grog Grotto will not have many bar stools up at the main bar so the inside will feel less like a bar and more like a lounge.

I just re-read my last post. Instead of going back and editing it, I want to add again that just by Sam's being located in Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, I do expect to see some tiki and Polynesian stuff inside. I don't expect it to be a full-on tiki bar and expect it to be very different from Sam's in Anaheim.

The anticipation is killing me. Good thing that Sam's is so close to opening. I'm very curious to see how my second-guessing goes since so much is still unknown about how Sam's was designed and built.

Tikiman - that totally makes sense and supports what I'm expecting to find. I have not seen the remodel yet and will keep an eye open for the things you've pointed out. It's kinda weird that so much African-influenced stuff could make its way into a Polynesian-themed resort, but that may be in line with today's guest impressions and expectations based on what they see in Jungle Cruise, Adventureland, and in the movies and films. And we all know that Disney pulls these things off very well, I'm sure it's all really nicely done. I'm looking forward to comparing my before and after photos and walking around the place.

The Polynesian name is about all that came from Walt. Many people say Walt would be upset at the changes but we really have no idea what he would think because we don’t even know what he would have thought about the original resort. After he died the design for the resort had nothing to do with any of the original ideas he had. Once it came time to do the resort the name stayed but the theme was intended to be tropical with some Adventureland influences. That is why the tikis around the resort were taken from the molds used for the Disneyland Tiki room tikis. There was almost no authentic Polynesian Islands representation to the resort when it opened. The most authentic thing to come later was the luau. The only other things that came from Polynesian island designs were the carvings from Oceanic Arts but almost none of those designs were representative of Hawaii so it is ironic that many people thing the Polynesian is a Hawaiian resort. Most of the Hawaiian influence came in the 90’s when they brought over people from the Ka’anapali Beach Hotel to bring in designs from Hawaii. The 90s brought in the stone floor to the lobby and it also brought in ‘Ohana and later Kona Café. Now they are going back to some of the original 70’s Adventureland ideas including a more retro look to the DVC rooms.

I think people sometimes don’t get the intention behind some of the designs at the Polynesian but maybe we just look at it as the Polynesian is just something of its own look and feel. A look and feel that has changed over the years but still tries to give you that happy feeling when you stay there or visit the resort.

Nautical, tiki, adventureland, exotica. Whatever. It's going to be AWESOME. Can't wait.

And that merch from the Poly is going to make me go VERY broke.

K

On 2015-03-19 21:14, wizzard419 wrote:
I'm curious to see if any of the concept sketches will make it in in a recognizable form. They are all neat but the reality of being a bar may make them totally impractical.

I'm sure the major features (Uh Oa, the tentacle, clamshell etc) will make it. The smaller details are what will change as far as the chotchkies go. Take a look at the concepts for Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar and then think as to what is/isn't similar to the real deal:

On 2015-03-20 06:27, AceExplorer wrote:
One of the big topics we haven't really touched on in this thread are the animated features coming to Sam's. I have no inside information other than to expect the giant snake in the concept art to come to life, and also the torch-waving native (Sam himself?) to speak to us. What volcanos and other things will be triggered by ordering specific drinks? What gags will be in the place, like the famous sinking bar stools?

I mentioned a few pages back that you can probably expect the tentacle to animate, as well as Uh Oa, the Tiki Goddess of Disaster (whom you mistakingly claimed as Trader Sam. If you need to watch the awful once upon a time "Under New Management" then I bookmarked exactly where she comes in here https://youtu.be/TP60T-XbUS4?t=8m29s )

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2015-03-20 13:30 ]

On 2015-03-20 10:35, kkocka wrote:
I mentioned a few pages back that you can probably expect the tentacle to animate, as well as Uh Oa, the Tiki Goddess of Disaster (whom you mistakingly claimed as Trader Sam. If you need to watch the awful once upon a time "Under New Management" then I bookmarked exactly where she comes in here https://youtu.be/TP60T-XbUS4?t=8m29s)

Wow, it's been so long, I didn't realize the chant came from that. Definitely the only decent thing to come out of the Under New Management version! Fixed the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP60T-XbUS4&feature=youtu.be&t=8m29s

I mentioned a few pages back that you can probably expect the tentacle to animate, as well as Uh Oa, the Tiki Goddess of Disaster (whom you mistakingly claimed as Trader Sam. If you need to watch the awful once upon a time "Under New Management" then I bookmarked exactly where she comes in here

You're right, you did post that earlier. I know that sometimes its not easy posting without re-reading more of the entire thread, wish I had more time. We're up to 18 or 19 pages now, and that detail got lost.

Oh, I didn't think I was claiming the figure was Trader Sam at all, but I was definitely questioning and asking if it was Trader Sam because I wasn't sure. I thought to myself (and still do) that it looks a lot like the Trader Sam character in Jungle Cruise. But if it is Uh Oa, ok, I get it now. I think you can see that I don't take Disney concept art too seriously given their propensity to dream and design and then budget cut the hell out of stuff.

And thanks for the video bookmark. I avoided "Under New Management" so much that I may have only seen the whole thing a couple times at most. I forgot all about that - it must've left an awesome impression on me.

K

Hah, I wasn't implying to go back and reread the thread - just more of an fyi sorta thing. He's actually pretty ghoulish looking:

...and here's Florida's verison, a bit goofier looking:

P

*On 2015-03-20 06:36, AceExplorer wrote:*I want to add again that just by Sam's being located in Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, I do expect to see some tiki and Polynesian stuff inside.

Well there certainly should be, even if the place leans more toward "jungle". After all, the Enchanted Tiki Room is also part of Adventureland.

Also, some people forget that there is a Polynesian connection to "20,000 Leagues." The 1954 film includes scenes set in New Guinea featuring cannibals and human skulls on stakes (coincidentally a trait also attributed to Trader Sam himself).

That's not the only one!

In both Jules Verne's original novel and 1962 Disney film adaptation of In Search of the Castaways, there are extended scenes in New Zealand where they are taken captive by hostile Maoris. In the novel, the character of Thomas Ayrton (played by George Sanders in the film) is marooned on the phantom island called Maria Theresa Reef, or Tabor Island as it was called on French maps. It reappears in Verne's Mysterious Island when the characters stranded on Lincoln Island (Nemo's secret base) rescue Ayrton. In the 1961 film adaptation of The Mysterious Island, the two islands are conflated and the heroes discover Ayrton's remains on the single unnamed island. If you want to get really nerdy with the Disney trivia, the theme for Disneyland's Primeval World attraction is taken from The Mysterious Island, which itself acts as a kind of "unofficial sequel" to Disney's film.

As an author, Verne revisited the South Pacific in The Floating Island, Two Years' Vacation and The Kip Brothers. I may know all this because I was trying to figure out ideas for a hypothetical home lounge that gave me an excuse to blend Tiki with my love of Jules Verne :)

EnchangedTikiGoth - I don't see "the concept art makes Grog Grotto look even more tiki than the original Trader Sam's" because I still see more Adventureland and Jungle Cruise in the concept art as you mentioned in your post. The giant snake is one jungle example, I don't think that there are any snakes occurring naturally in the islands of the South Pacific.

That "snake" is a tentacle from one of the squids (or at least referencing the squids) from the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction :) The diving helmet behind the bar is also one from 20K.

Being a ridiculous Jules Verne nerd, I would have loved to have gone on the 20K attraction, but I was still a year away from graduating high school when it closed. I didn't even get to WDW until last year! And now I'm grumbling because there is little chance of us going back there just so I can go to Trader Sam's to see a helmet, and tentacle, and pick up a Nautilus mug :( At least I have been to the 20K attractions in Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneysea. I almost... almost... talked my wife into a Disney Cruise, which would have had the benefit of snorkeling in the Bahamas around where the underwater scenes of 20K were filmed, and seeing the old 20K attraction submarine that Disney sunk in the snorkle lagoon of their private island. Who knows, maybe some day we will, and that will be my excuse to go to Grog Grotto too? :wink:

I don't have any problem with the more generically Adventureland theme either, since I am hardly a Tiki purist. I was just commenting on the concept art and the location. If we were going to speculate that Grog Grotto will follow the path trod by the original Trader Sam's, then we would have to consider attractions from WDW that they could reference. Jungle Cruise and the Enchanted Tiki Room are obvious, and we already know about 20K and Under New Management. I think you're probably spot on about Adventurer's Club (there already are references to it in Trader Sam's). With Aloha Isle probably slated to close they might throw a reference in Grog Grotto, and we might see some Swiss Family Robinson references as well (alluding to the Treehouse). It would give me a kick to see an In Search of the Castaways reference, since there's the Jules Verne, 20K connection, but who knows? Indiana Jones stunt show maybe? What else?

[ Edited by: EnchantedTikiGoth 2015-03-20 19:07 ]

I'm sure the major features (Uh Oa, the tentacle, clamshell etc) will make it. The smaller details are what will change as far as the chotchkies go. Take a look at the concepts for Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar and then think as to what is/isn't similar to the real deal:

I mentioned a few pages back that you can probably expect the tentacle to animate, as well as Uh Oa, the Tiki Goddess of Disaster (whom you mistakingly claimed as Trader Sam. If you need to watch the awful once upon a time "Under New Management" then I bookmarked exactly where she comes in here https://youtu.be/TP60T-XbUS4?t=8m29s )

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2015-03-20 13:30 ]

I don't know... I am almost positive the clamshell is not going to make it because it doesn't look practical (remember the soda launcher at DLR?), the tentacle may be there but animation may not make it, they could re-use the figure from tiki room so it could make it.

Goth, good trivia there! Yessir, that is a tentacle and not a snake, I've been poking at a Jungle Book fan's comment, but the "pokee" isn't following up... I'm waiting to see how many attractions and films actually got nods from the imagineers.

K

On 2015-03-20 19:33, wizzard419 wrote:
I don't know... I am almost positive the clamshell is not going to make it because it doesn't look practical (remember the soda launcher at DLR?)

To be fair you can't really tell what the purpose of the clamshell is there whether its decor or serves a purpose. There's also the issue of the diver's helmet behind the bar that looks like it is glowing (w/a ship in it?). But consider there is also a drink on the menu called "Polynesian Pearl" and there appears to be pearl mugs to drink from - so I'd say that's a fair bet on there being some kind of giant clamshell to go w/it, much like the Shipwreck on the Rocks drink + mug + effect.

Some great discussion as we ramp up to the opening. EnchantedTikiGoth, I'm glad you brought up Jules Verne and more of those details. I find it amazing that the influence of an author who was in his prime some 150 years ago is still being felt to such a degree. I'd love to see a few nods to Verne in the Grog Grotto.

One of the few official announcements made by Disney has been the drink names, so we can speculate on what special effects may be attached to the Nautilus (perhaps a submarine similar to the sinking ship in Anaheim), Castaway Crush, Polynesian Pearl (the pearl mug already mentioned), Dark & Tropical Stormy (a tropical storm effect?), and Tahitian Torch (a flaming drink, I hope).

On 2015-03-20 12:48, AceExplorer wrote:
You're right, you did post that earlier. I know that sometimes its not easy posting without re-reading more of the entire thread, wish I had more time. We're up to 18 or 19 pages now, and that detail got lost.

Speaking of 19 pages, is anyone else as surprised as me that it's been over two years since the new Trader Sam's was announced, and this thread started?

On 2015-03-20 19:42, kkocka wrote:

On 2015-03-20 19:33, wizzard419 wrote:
I don't know... I am almost positive the clamshell is not going to make it because it doesn't look practical (remember the soda launcher at DLR?)

To be fair you can't really tell what the purpose of the clamshell is there whether its decor or serves a purpose. There's also the issue of the diver's helmet behind the bar that looks like it is glowing (w/a ship in it?). But consider there is also a drink on the menu called "Polynesian Pearl" and there appears to be pearl mugs to drink from - so I'd say that's a fair bet on there being some kind of giant clamshell to go w/it, much like the Shipwreck on the Rocks drink + mug + effect.

I believe they've done the animated ship in a bottle/"thing" a few times over, which may boost the likelihood they reuse the effect again.

Unless the drink is a premix and that is the dispenser for it, the shell will either not be appearing or just be a static thing in the background.

I wonder what the target visit length they have set for the patrons? They obviously don't want people sitting around for hours nursing a single drink, making it difficult for other paying customers to get a spot.

On 2015-03-21 01:20, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Some great discussion as we ramp up to the opening. EnchantedTikiGoth, I'm glad you brought up Jules Verne and more of those details. I find it amazing that the influence of an author who was in his prime some 150 years ago is still being felt to such a degree. I'd love to see a few nods to Verne in the Grog Grotto.

I too have a soft spot for Verne, given that we have a Jules Verne Park in Tampa, and his "To the Moon" was set in "Tampa Town." one of the local brewers here (CCB) recently issued Barbacane's Moongun ale...

On 2015-03-21 01:20, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

One of the few official announcements made by Disney has been the drink names, so we can speculate on what special effects may be attached to the Nautilus (perhaps a submarine similar to the sinking ship in Anaheim), Castaway Crush, Polynesian Pearl (the pearl mug already mentioned), Dark & Tropical Stormy (a tropical storm effect?), and Tahitian Torch (a flaming drink, I hope).

Thanks!

If I was going to make some more idle speculation, I could see them avoiding the sinking ship/submerging submarine gimmick by maybe some projection effect to make it look like the whole room is submerging, with some audio taken from the original ride :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 491 replies