Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 2013 - HulaBilly - Official thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies

O
Otto posted on Wed, Apr 24, 2013 12:46 AM

This thread is the official thread for people going to Tiki Oasis to share their ideas and ask questions

Dates for 2014 are Thursday, August 14 at 5 pm at Bali Hai - Sunday, August 17 full evening show ends early around 11pm

Tiki Oasis 2013 - August 15th - 18th
San Diego Ca

This year at Tiki Oasis we are exploring the Hawaiian influence on American music. Part Americana, part Hawaiiana, HulaBilly is an American music style derived from the blending of Rockabilly and Haole Hawaiian music.

Just as Tiki Style is a blend of Polynesian influences as interpreted through Americans' romanticised view of the South Seas, Hawaiian music has been sentimentalized and interpreted by American musicians. Like waves hitting the Pacific shores, America experienced recurring ukulele crazes with a longing look toward the Hawaiian Sunset. Similarly in the 1930s, 40s and 50s Hawaiian Slack Key guitar and steel guitar seeped into Western music and permeated The Nashville Sound. American musicians used that sound to play their own versions of Hawaiian music classics such as "On the Beach at Waikiki","Hula Blues", and "Ukulele Lady" and then form their own Westernized Hawaii sound blending Hawaiian music influences with American early rock n roll (Bop) to create the sound of HulaBilly.

From Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys version of "Hawaiian War Chant" in 1946 To Elvis Presley's "Rock-A-Hula Baby" in the Grammy-nominated movie "Blue Hawaii" in 1961, Hulabilly was a popular music form on America's radios, televisions, and movies.

+++++++++++++++++++

Hotel Rooms and Tickets available only on our website: http://www.tikioasis.com

Here is a Quick look at the ticket options:

Deluxe COCKTAIL VIP wristband plus mug (Thurs-Sunday)
21 and older
This pass gets you access to the Thursday - Sunday night events and one Tiki Oasis 2013 Limited Edition Tiki Mug!

Want more? You will also get VIP access to ALL the daytime symposiums (except for those listed as 'special events')
and includes all the cocktail symposiums. Sorry this ticket is for our 21 and over crowd only.

Includes:

• Tiki Oasis Commemorative Tiki Mug ($80 value)
  • VIP entry to all symposiums ($100+ value)
  • VIP entry to all cocktail symposiums ($95 value)
  • Thursday - Sunday Evening Showcase ($150 value)
    Price: $300, none available at the door
    Must be 21 years and older for this wristband

++++++++++++++

VIP wristband plus mug (Thurs - Sunday)
21 and older
This pass gets you access to the Thursday – Sunday night events.
You will also get VIP access to ALL the daytime symposiums (except for those listed as 'special events')

Includes:

• Tiki Oasis Commemorative Tiki Mug ($80 value)
  • VIP entry to all symposiums ($100+ value)
  • Thursday - Sunday Evening Showcase ($150 value)
    NOTE: does not include entry to any cocktail symposiums

Price: $210, none available at the door
Must be 21 years and older for this wristband

++++++++++++++

Full Weekend wristband (Thurs - Sunday)
18 and older

This pass gets you access to the Thursday - Sunday night events
Price: $95 / $110 door

Limited number of tickets sold at door

++++++++++++++

Basic Weekend wristband (Thurs - Saturday)
18 and older

This pass gets you access to the Thursday - Saturday night events
Price: $70 / $85 door

++++++++++++++

Age 6-17 Weekender Pass (Thurs - Sunday)

Those 17 and under can also enjoy Tiki Oasis for all 4 nights!
Please note that evening entertainment is geared towards adults, children must be accompanied by an adult to attend all evening events.
Price: $18 / $25 at door

Children 5 and under free

++++++++++++++

Thursday ONLY Tiki Oasis Meet and Mingle
Kick Off Tiki Oasis in style with this Meet & Mingle at the Bali Hai on Shelter Island. If you plan to attend ONLY this event and not the rest of the weekend, this is the ticket for you.
Price: $15

Children 5 and under free/ Age 6+ must purchase ticket

++++++++++++++

Sunday Early Evening Showcase
BBQ and Big Sandy & His Fly Rite Boys
Join us as we wrap up another great weekend at Tiki Oasis with amazing live entertainment, dancing and special surprises!

Price: $30/$40 door

Children 5 and under free/ Age 6+ must purchase ticket

++++++++++++++

The full schedule of bands + Dj's + symposiums + more will be announced later

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2013-04-22 18:17 ]

[ Edited by: Otto 2013-04-24 01:14 ]

[ Edited by: otto 2013-06-01 21:48 ]

[ Edited by: Otto 2013-12-05 18:17 ]

I like this new thread!

Super stoked about The Hula Girls opening up for Southern Culture on the Skids Saturday night and seeing Big Sandy and His Fly Rite Boys Sunday night.

In case you are on Facebook lots of discussions are happening on the Tiki Oasis thread. If you haven't joined the Tiki Oasis group yet be sure to do so!

What's it ...like 112 days away? Too long!

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2013-04-24 07:46 ]

Is it Tiki Oasis time yet?
I can't wait to see my fellow volunteers & the rest of the magice Otto & doe have in store for us!!

We are really looking forward to playing!!
What a great theme!!

V

Can't WAIT!

SO stoked to be attending (and vending!) this year! Oasis is such a magical event - always an adventure!

I may finally commit to the idea of pressing some specially marked pendants to give as "finishing medals" to anyone who is able to drag themselves out of bed in the early morning to run a few miles with me. Gotta burn off those Mai Tais! :)

Counting the days!
Henrik "VanTiki"

On 2013-04-24 13:11, VanTiki wrote:

I may finally commit to the idea of pressing some specially marked pendants to give as "finishing medals" to anyone who is able to drag themselves out of bed in the early morning to run a few miles with me. Gotta burn off those Mai Tais! :)

Says the man who runs marathons!

Shoot Howdy, can't wait for Tiki Oasis Hulabilly to get here!!! So excited for this one! This will be our big season finale for Lost In Paradise, so as always, I'll be on the hunt for some good stories, shenanigans, etc...

Cloggin', Moonshine and Mai Tai's.......Oh My!

T

Otto, what does the mug look like this year?

On 2013-04-24 15:31, TikiDude wrote:
Otto, what does the mug look like this year?

Oh, you haven't seen it yet?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 24, 2013 6:34 PM

You sure it's not this one?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 24, 2013 6:34 PM

You sure it's not this one?

O
Otto posted on Thu, Apr 25, 2013 10:12 PM

here is a greenware version of the mug without the glaze,

Like your kissin' cousin after high school, as you can see it is a pretty dramatic transformation from greenware to the glazed version here

O
Otto posted on Thu, Apr 25, 2013 10:14 PM

On 2013-04-24 14:23, chrisandsarahb wrote:

How did you know there would be cloggin'!?!

http://www.flatfootandfancyfree.com/

B

Symposium Tickets go on sale next Monday!

I thought I would post some teasers here....

First up MARTIN CATE!!!

++++++++++++++++++++

The Third Man: The Incredible True Story of “Tiki Restaurateur to the Stars” Stephen Crane. A Tinseltown Tale of Mai Tais, Movie Stars, and Murder
Presenter: Martin Cate
Time: Saturday 3:30-5pm
Price: $35

Much has been written about the two founding fathers of the tiki drink craze Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic, but little discussed is the third man in the great historic tiki trifecta: Joseph Stephen Crane- Steve to his friends, and “High Talking Chief Stefooma” to the thousands of customers who walked through the door of his legendary Beverly Hills nightspot, The Luau. Crane came from humble beginnings to climb his way up the social ladder in pre-war Hollywood through a mixture of good looks, street smarts, and undeniable charm. It wasn’t long before the kid from Crawfordsville, Indiana found himself married to Hollywood’s biggest star, the incomparable Lana Turner. Crane opened his first restaurant in the late 1940s, but he cemented his place in history with the 1953 opening of The Luau on Rodeo Drive. It became the destination for Hollywood celebrities and was the start of a chain of successful restaurants nationwide. Crane took the Polynesian concept to a new level, with innovative new cocktails, food, and décor that had never been seen before.

Sit back, relax, and join Smuggler’s Cove owner Martin Cate for a rare look back into the amazing world of Steven Crane. Discover his talent for hospitality, mixology, and business through rarely seen images and artifacts and new interviews with his (and Lana Turner’s) only child, Cheryl Crane. Enjoy tastes of The Luau’s famous exotic cocktails while discovering a story so amazing, it could only have happened in Hollywood.

On 2013-04-25 22:14, babydoe wrote:
Symposium Tickets go on sale next Monday!

Hi Baby Doe - A quick clarifying question that may be of general interest.

I'm guessing that this is included with a Cocktail VIP pass - is that right??

Thanks for making this an awesome event! - Mark

Hi Baby Doe - A quick clarifying question that may be of general interest.

I'm guessing that this is included with a Cocktail VIP pass - is that right??

Thanks for making this an awesome event! - Mark

From the Facebook group page for Tiki Oasis....

The Third Man: The Incredible True Story of “Tiki Restaurateur to the Stars” Stephen Crane. A Tinseltown Tale of Mai Tais, Movie Stars, and Murder
... Time: Saturday 3:30-5pm
Price: $35 (included in the COCKTAIL VIP ticket)

J

These are good Hulabillies :) - "Ma and Pa Kettle in Waikiki"...

And these are bad Hulabillies :evil: - The "One Big Happy Family" episode of Hawaii Five-0 (remember that one ?)...

I'm not sure yet which ones to base the room party on. :D

HT

What ever you do John-o with your friends will be outstanding, looking to seeing you at Oasis. Count me in if you need help.

On 2013-04-26 12:11, JOHN-O wrote:
These are good Hulabillies :)
And these are bad Hulabillies ...

I'm not sure yet which ones to base the room party on. :D

Sure glad the bad Deliverance hillbillies aren't Hula..

But the Walt Disney World Country Bear Vacation Hoedown are good Hula Billies

Yesterland: Country Bear Vacation Hoedown

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

BV

I wouldn't be that quick to dismiss things.

C
cy posted on Fri, Apr 26, 2013 3:48 PM

Dueling ukuleles?

B

Announcing Appalachian flatfoot dance instructor Rebecca Stout will be at Tiki Oasis this year! This class will be Saturday morning and only $10 (included in VIP tickets)

Rebecca will share with us her unique "Tennessee Shuffle" style of free-form flatfoot and buck dance, inspired by friends, relations, masters and mentors throughout Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia.

[ Edited by: babydoe 2013-04-26 16:29 ]

On 2013-04-25 22:14, Otto wrote:

On 2013-04-24 14:23, chrisandsarahb wrote:

How did you know there would be cloggin'!?!

No freakin' way! Jiminy Christmas this just gets better by the minute! Good guess I reckon. I took some cloggin' classes as a kid (I was horrible at it) but can't wait to learn some free form, Yee-Ha!

Why is everyone equating "Hulabilly" with "Hillbilly"

One is a music genre & the other is is a term (often derogatory)
for people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas of the United States,
primarily southern Appalachia & the Ozarks.

These are two disparate things.
Now git to twang'in!

BV

Just cause we can. Ultimately everyone will take away from this party what they want. I'll drink to it all!
RUM of course.

I'm imagining it more as a South Pacific/Luther Billis styled soft shoe cloggin'! Crossover baby!

West meets East! The Appalachian boys end up at Bali Hai!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqVAUkdE_RE

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2013-04-26 17:51 ]

My take on it is more Elvis in "Blue Hawaii"
so that is what it is from now on!

NOW KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

T

KNEEEL!!

On 2013-04-26 17:40, Big Vic wrote:
Just cause we can. Ultimately everyone will take away from this party what they want.

Vic there is many reasons why I adore you BUT the fact that you don't feel it necessary to TELL us how we should or should not interpret the upcoming Tiki Oasis theme is so nice and refreshing.

I look forward to your banjo playing at the doorway to Tiki Hell :wink:

Hahaha! It never occurred to me to bribe people for company! Despite attending room parties, I run alone (in the mornings even) every year! LOVE the ocean beach trail that is right near the hotel!

Can't WAIT!

SO stoked to be attending (and vending!) this year! Oasis is such a magical event - always an adventure!

Counting the days!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Just to reinterate.....KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

V

On 2013-04-26 21:37, Mikala137 wrote:
Hahaha! It never occurred to me to bribe people for company! Despite attending room parties, I run alone (in the mornings even) every year! LOVE the ocean beach trail that is right near the hotel!

Sounds like a perfect course! I'll bring a finishing "medal" for you! Can't wait!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Sounds like we need to get a running group going. The TO5k!

Please run responsibly, Don't Drink & Run!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-04-27 14:14 ]

B

ha that is great 'I thought they said RUM' :)

B

We are excited to bring to Tiki Oasis this year two more cocktail classes!

History of the American Cocktail
Presenter: Dr. Clint Lanier & Derek Hembree
Price: $30 (included in the VIP COCKTAIL pass)

The complete history of the cocktail, starting from the first known cocktail recorded, the ”El Draque”, and ending with a cocktail just invented by award-winning San Antonio Bartender, Jaret Pena “The Mas Chingoni”

Each drink presented is accompanied by the story of it's invention, why it was popular, step by step instructions on how each drink is made and why its ingredients are significant. Did we forget to mention you will get to sample each cocktails!?

Check out Clint and Derek's website: http://www.bucketlistbars.com/

+++++++++++++++++++++++

"Squirrel Whiskey, Monkey Rum, and Sweet Spirit of Cats a' Fightin': The Taming of American Moonshine."

Presenter: Matthew Rowley
Time: Friday 3:30-5pm
Price: $30 (included in the COCKTAIL VIP ticket)

Despite the hype, most moonshine isn't corn whiskey and hasn't been since Donn Beach was knee-high to a moai. For almost 400 years, Americans have distilled untaxed liquor in cabins, sheds, warehouses, hollers, and now garages and basements. Author Matthew Rowley examines the history of moonshine, America's primal spirit. From the colonial era though Prohibition to its recent incarnations, moonshine has changed with the times. Through guided tastings from some of today's (legal) craft distilleries and Q & A, participants will learn to distinguish so-called "legal moonshine" and white whiskeys from their illegal forerunners and modern cousins.

Check out Matthew's blog! http://matthew-rowley.blogspot.com/

The immortal Johnny Cash singing Aloha Oe. That's hulabilly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqifDTN6v5g

Hulabilly rum barrel!

Bamboo canteen!

Just wanted to point out a 'hulabilly' music thread that John-O started. Good stuff on this thread!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36656&forum=11&45

J

Yup, and I started that thread 3 YEARS AGO !!

Also here's another post that I did which is related... The Country Girl as Exotic(a) Girl

All of my Tiki theories are coming to fruition. :D

EDIT - And Sandy Warner knew, she jumped on that bandwagon early !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-04-29 11:13 ]

Seems like Facebook is the place where all the Tiki Oasis discussion is mostly happening.

If you are not on FB just so you know symposium tickets went on sale yesterday.

Get them before they sell out!

Is the hotel sold out?

Nope I'm told

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-05-26 13:31 ]

On 2013-04-30 09:48, hang10tiki wrote:
Hotel sold out

No they are not

There are still a handful of King Size bed/golf course rooms are still available.

O
Otto posted on Tue, Apr 30, 2013 10:11 AM

Hotel is NOT sold out. Just Pool View rooms are sold out. You must book online thru the TO website. Do not call hotel. Do not go to Expedia or other booking site. The Crowne Plaza booking is not super great. You gotta enter your info before it tells you that it is not available. Sorry about that extra hurdle. CP is a large corporation and that's their booking engine and that's what we are stuck with.

Can't WAIT!

Counting the days!
Henrik "VanTiki"

I've been running and rumming at Oasis for years!

Looking forward to this!

Cheers,
John

On 2013-04-30 08:49, SandraDee wrote:
Seems like Facebook is the place where all the Tiki Oasis discussion is mostly happening.

If you are not on FB just so you know symposium tickets went on sale yesterday.

Get them before they sell out!

So let's just not bother with "Tiki Central" anymore
it's off to Facebook everybody.......

On 2013-04-30 11:03, Aquatic Safarinaut wrote:

Can't WAIT!

Counting the days!
Henrik "VanTiki"

I've been running and rumming at Oasis for years!

Looking forward to this!

Cheers,
John

Only VanTiki could inspire people to go running at an event where everyone (for the most part) is drunk or hungover :)

You better make some kick ass finishing medals my friend!

Otto- thank you for the clarification. I booked it...

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-05-26 13:29 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies