Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 2013 - HulaBilly - Official thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies

S

On 2013-07-02 20:46, SizzlePixels wrote:
I should know this but someone please remind me, I paid for wrist bands several weeks ago. Do I bring the purchase confirmation somewhere to pick up the wristbands?

Thanks

Print out a copy of your receipt just so you have it. Whether you check in at the Bali Hai thursday or the Crowne Plaza Friday/Saturday you go up to registration in the line of the first letter of the ticket buyer's last name. They will have that name/the number of tickets you bought/the type of tickets you bought in a book. You sign off for them and get your wristband and generay a program at the same time. Check in goes pretty quick and generally there is no need to bring your receipt (so don't freak out if you forget it) but its always good to have it just in case.

Getting ready to broadcast! Hope everyone listens at some point!

[

Thank you.

quote]
On 2013-07-03 04:48, SandraDee wrote:

On 2013-07-02 20:46, SizzlePixels wrote:
I should know this but someone please remind me, I paid for wrist bands several weeks ago. Do I bring the purchase confirmation somewhere to pick up the wristbands?

Thanks

Print out a copy of your receipt just so you have it. Whether you check in at the Bali Hai thursday or the Crowne Plaza Friday/Saturday you go up to registration in the line of the first letter of the ticket buyer's last name. They will have that name/the number of tickets you bought/the type of tickets you bought in a book. You sign off for them and get your wristband and generay a program at the same time. Check in goes pretty quick and generally there is no need to bring your receipt (so don't freak out if you forget it) but its always good to have it just in case.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jul 4, 2013 12:28 PM

**Greatest Hillbillies of All Time

#15 Rose Maddox **

Born: Boaz, Alabama to a sharecropper family
Likes: Singin', playin' the fiddle, dressin' up real fancy with her brothers

On 2013-07-04 12:28, Cammo wrote:

#15 Rose Maddox **

Well I can't give you a hard time over this one, Since Rose was my Great Aunt
but they always thought of them selves as a "Western Swing band" and spent almost their entire
professional career based in California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEB1fD1jEA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIHE1Hi9n9s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlcmKQR0lgw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwUmg_2xBpA -in her own words....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-07-04 12:50 ]

Whoa whoa whoa hold it right there now. PONIES???? There are going to be PONIES at the Oasis??? And hillbillies???? DUDE. This is right up my alley (OK- rutted washed out muddy road)!! I may come back!

Can I bring MY ponies??

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 5, 2013 10:44 AM

#16 Tom Jefferson **

Born: Shadwell, Goochland County, Virginia
Likes: Readin', writin', playin' the fiddle, drinkin', politics

B

#15 Rose Maddox **

That's a neat clipping of Rose and family!

OK, as Thomas Jefferson would say "Now your talking out of your Derriere!

As Jefferson was from a wealthy family of "Slave owners" Highly educated who
became a lawyer and was a polymath who spoke five languages fluently and was deeply interested
in science, invention, architecture, religion and philosophy
also he founded the University of Virginia

Not very "Hillbilly" of him,now....

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 5, 2013 4:02 PM

This may shred a lot of preconceived notions of what hillbillies are all about, but...

The Ozark dialect is a direct descendant of, and probably more closely related to Shakespearian English than our present day usage of American English. Early settlers from the British Isles brought their language, slang, music, fashions, and food styles with them. As England progressed "beyond" Elizabethan culture, these styles survived intact in the Ozarks.

So - Shakespeare's England and language survives in phrases like "vittles","set a spell","y'hear" and in the wild, fast played mandolin that's at the heart of great bluegrass music and the jam sessions that go on for hours. And of course in young romance; Romeo's Juliet was only 13 years old.

Here's an article written in 1964 all about it:
http://thelibrary.org/lochist/periodicals/wrv/v1/N11/Sp64e.htm
(And notice the other references at the bottom!)

Mitch Jayne, one of the Dillards (well, their bass playing friend) taught in one-room schoolhouses in Dent County and documented the use of Elizabethan English by his students. When Jayne asked a student to stay after school for some chore, the boy replied, “No, Mr. Jayne, I’d best haste home. Mother don’t sanction us being dilatory.”

He wrote a great book about his experiences, here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Grown-Stories-Fried-Lies/dp/1882467302

...and here's the thing that's gonna really blow yar brains. If all this is true, and it certainly does seem quite astonishingly reasonable, what this all means is that the Ozark Hillbilly dialect is ...

*AN ISLANDER DIALECT. * Because it comes directly, and is one of the few survivals of, the early British Isles.

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Jul 5, 2013 4:50 PM

Thomas Jefferson... WTF ?? !!

Abe Lincoln was way more Tiki.

BK

John-O, where do you find this stuff?

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Jul 5, 2013 6:34 PM

It's from a defunct Revival place in your part of the country.

What, you never went there ?? :)

O
Otto posted on Fri, Jul 5, 2013 11:37 PM

On 2013-07-04 12:39, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

#15 Rose Maddox **

Well I can't give you a hard time over this one, Since Rose was my Great Aunt
but they always thought of them selves as a "Western Swing band" and spent almost their entire
professional career based in California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwUmg_2xBpA -in her own words....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-07-04 12:50 ]

Perfect example of a Hillbilly that is close to "HulaBilly" - more Urban, more Pop(ular), more Rockabilly than Hillbilly and Country music. unfortunately they never strayed into Hawaiian music territory.
Though The Hawaiian Hootenanny Boy did record with Rose Maddox
http://www.silcom.com/~peterf/releases/cunha_bio.htm

Hope you don't mind that I mention this here Otto:

Just after last years Tiki Oasis, Otto had heard that Rose Maddox was a relative of mine
and he contacted me to see if she would be interested in performing at this years Tiki Oasis
How cool would that have been!

Unfortunately she died in 1998 so I was pretty sure she wasn't going to make that gig
but if she was here today I think she would have gotten a real kick out of playing for
you Tiki Freaks......It's because of roots like this, that I so vehemently laud the importance
of honoring our past & history.

I would like to share the fact that The Mr is ready, willing and able to actually go to the Oasis this year! This man is Hulabilly all the way (well, in the sense that SOME of you are looking at this theme...I shan't go into THAT right now)

He is the only Hawaiian shirt wearing cowboy I know. He plays Ape's Jungle Jems around the Ranch for the horses; says they like it...makes them calm. He plays Martini Kings, Les Baxter,Martin Denny...etc...not only at his pool parties, but as he's out riding or driving his horses. IN his signature Hawaiian shirt! But he's a bad ass that no one ever F's with at the local bars...

But he's not a redneck hillbilly! And he's not strictly Tiki...But he likes the looks of this year's Oasis! So he's goin! Which means I get to go- YAY!!

Awwww! Aint that cute?

Shut the F up or your dead where ya stand.

What are the chances that no one else is waiting on a room to open up at the Crowne?? For a non party, golf course view room? Is that just cray? Or can I dream??

BV

The Rum Bums have done the research. WE have nailed the Hullabilly theme! Tiki Hell is back.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jul 6, 2013 6:21 PM

This may be totally off-topic, but the only time I've ever tasted real moonshine was when a co-worker in New York came back after Christmas vacation and brought me a jar of the real stuff. His uncle had made it. Now the thing is, I don't know if it was 100% corn whiskey or how long it was aged or if it was part-sugarcane or any of that fancy drinkin' talk that flies pretty fast around these parts. It was MYSTERIOUS.

But it was GOOOOOD. It was so good I drank around three big gulps before the first one caught up with me, and it was the smoooothest liquor I've ever drank. I had to give the rest away cause it was dangerous.

So - anybody ever had any of the commercial stuff?

Even though they call this a Bourbon, notice that it's 100% corn. Looks pretty good, actually, even though Northerners make it:

Howdy y'all

To all those who have been emailing me over the last few years I am finally travelling to appear at Tiki Oasis this year for the first time with merchandise from the newly opened Tiki Beat Bar in Freemantle Western Australia - designed and carved by Tiki Beat - there will be a few limited edition pieces. Hope to see you all there come and say hi.

MR

Yeah, Marcus Thorn in attendance!! Looking forward to seeing you.
This just in! Gonesville Gorilla has been spotted up to no good with some sort of beautiful Fire-Maiden!! He must be gearing up for Tiki Oasis13!! Stop by and see him and the rest of "The Goons From Gonesville" at the indoor vending area. Besides Gonesville Gorilla's alter ego REESENIK there will be plenty of hi-jinks and art from everyones favorite Yeti, the one and only MP!! Also on hand will be the lovable Bumpkin among Bumpkins, mug-maker and artist extraordinaire, John Mulder!! Please come by and say hello, but keep your hands inside the ride!

(pic courtesy of Vestige Photography)

Marcus Thorn & Matt Reese!
Hellz Yeaa!

CA

AND NEXT EDITION OF 25 Tiki#34 MUGS!!

Debut Release at Tiki Oasis on a cash basis/discount
Look for me in the Thor Shop!!

B

On 2013-07-05 10:35, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa hold it right there now. PONIES???? There are going to be PONIES at the Oasis??? And hillbillies???? DUDE. This is right up my alley (OK- rutted washed out muddy road)!! I may come back!

Can I bring MY ponies??

Don't know about ponies, but according to the flyers posed near the elevators there were donkeys... in the parking lot... late at night.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 8, 2013 10:34 PM

Can I bring MY pony?

First time post, but some of you know me from the surf scene. This will be my 3rd TO, looking forward to it. Not sure if there's still room for another music act somewhere, totally forgot about these guys, the Cadillac Angels, would be a great fit with this years theme. Look them up on Facebook or youtube.

Just thought I'd put that out there, not even sure if they're free that weekend, but I mentioned the event to them and they seemed interested.

I

TIKI OASIS VOLUNTEERS!!!:
For those of you on the Facebook (Or not), you (or not) may have noticed a meet and greet for all you Tiki Oasis Volunteers. Well its Friday July 19th for the SoCal Volunteers and Saturday July 20th for all you NorCal Volunteers. We the Volunteer Staff will be there to say hi, answer questions and hang out. See Details Below.

The volunteer management staff (Bona-Fied):

Ikabod: Volunteer Manager (Bona-Fied)
Kitty Kat: Volunteer Coordinator (Bona-Fied)

Tiki Oasis Meet and Greet Particulars and agenda:

Tiki Ti July 19th 6pm-10pm (We head straight to San Francisco)
4427 W Sunset Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90027
http://www.tiki-ti.com

VenTiki July 19th 11pm-??? (Crazy? I know!)
701 E Main Street, Ventura Ca 93001

We head up to San Francisco in the dead of night to visit with the Nor Cal volunteers! During the day (after a little snooze) we plan on doing a tour of the St. Georges Distillery in Alameda.

Trader Vics July 20th 6pm-10pm
9 Anchor Dr Emeryville, CA 94608

Forbidden Island?
Smugglers Cove?

Other News: We still have some folks who have not confirmed, which means those slots are in danger of being opened up. Don't miss out! If you do get bumped from your shift for not confirming, you will be put into the wait list. If that happens well you run the risk of not getting a shift at all.

Feel free to contact us to hang out!

I

Also there are few volunteer spots open for Tiki Oasis 2013!

go here and fill out the application:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHU5QkhFU21ZMFJLX0otM0tmSXhTVnc6MA#gid=0

B

MISS TIKI OASIS CONTEST!

Please vote this week!! You can vote once per day all week!

http://www.tikioasis.com/2013/special_events/miss_tiki_oasis_pageant/

O
Otto posted on Wed, Jul 17, 2013 10:29 PM

The car show is going on for two solid days this year. As in past years, participants receive a fancy dash plaque.
Check this beauty out!!

[ Edited by: Otto 2013-07-17 22:30 ]

SpyRate Radio will once again be broadcasting at Tiki Oasis! Look for our flyers at the event and tune your hotel room radio into us!

I

1st Annual Tiki Oasis Volunteers Meet and Greet!

The Volunteer management staff will be at Trader Vics (EMERYVILLE) at 5:30 this Saturday! (07/20/13)! Come and hang out have a drink and make your plans for the Wildest Tiki Show in the West!
Not a Volunteer? Since when does anyone from Tiki Oasis need an excuse to have an adult beverage?
You just pay no never mind about that! Come on down and say hey!

Dont forget tonight its the Tiki Ti in SilverLake! 7pm. (yeah I know its going to be busy)

Yes we are driving tonight to meet and greet ya'll tomorrow!

ALOHA!!! ... Today is 'National Daiquiri Day'... so don't forget to ask for the 'Tiki Daiquiri' at the Tiki-Ti .... Mike Sr. still makes them if you ask (nicely):-) Enjoy! ....(remember)"Rum is always just around the corner"

Adventures in Tiki

[ Edited by: the TikiTraveler 2013-07-19 10:55 ]

BV

Hi folks.
It's getting closer! I hope your considering going up to room 1749 and joining us in hell! Here to remind you of what Tiki Hell is like:

http://youtu.be/5TayzlH8R-8

Submitted for your consideration and planning of future debauchery.

Looking forward to Tiki Hell!!!!! Always a great time!

Our latest podcast is a musical tribute to Tiki Oasis 13. You can also catch this podcast and others from Zen Tiki Lounge on SpyRate pirate radio at Tiki Oasis. Cheers and Mahalo.

Click the link to listen

http://www.zentikilounge.com/podcast/282

D

WEll all you Tiki Hillbilly's .. It Be OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fish al .. Deadhead will be hosting a Suite Room fer yer drnking and hi falutin fun!!! Theres gonna be Likker in the front and Poker in the rear!! ... we got some surprizes fer u all ... so bing yer drinkin face .. and dont ferget to curb yer donkey!! Ifn any of u r lookin for a room to perform just giv us a holler and lets see what we can arrange .. UMM without gittin the local Sheriff involved !!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ALO0OOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

GN

Available for your hulabilly room party: DJ Tanoa Samoa Boy and/or The B-Stars. Sound system included! Inquire within.

I

Hey Ya'll!
Wanna get into the Tiki Oasis this year? FOR FREE?! Well give me a holler at [email protected]! Your going to meet a lot of folks and get a free ticket to boot! FREE! Yep that's a bargain at twice the price!

Here are some of the shift still open!

Friday August 16 2013
9:30 am to 3:00 pm Tiki Oasis Information Booth (2 spots left!)Gotta know your Tiki Oasis!

Saturday August 17 2013
8:30am - 5pm - lots of breaks. Car Show and Vendor Day-Of Manager
9:30 am to 3:00 pm Tiki Oasis Information Booth (2 spots left!)Gotta know your Tiki Oasis!

Sunday August 18 2013

[email protected]

On 2013-07-22 08:51, Deadhead wrote:
WEll all you Tiki Hillbilly's .. It Be OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fish al .. Deadhead will be hosting a Suite Room fer yer drnking and hi falutin fun!!! Theres gonna be Likker in the front and Poker in the rear!! ... we got some surprizes fer u all ... so bing yer drinkin face .. and dont ferget to curb yer donkey!! Ifn any of u r lookin for a room to perform just giv us a holler and lets see what we can arrange .. UMM without gittin the local Sheriff involved !!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ALO0OOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Check your PM's :)

On 2013-07-22 08:51, Deadhead wrote:

Check your PM's :)

We've updated our website, http://www.spyrateradio.com, with a ton of information about our broadcast schedule.
Remember, in addition to the special broadcast presentations we will broadcasting a great mix of Classic Country, Exotica, Honky Tonk, Hulabilly, Rockabilly, Steel Guitar, Surf and Western Swing tunes 24/7!
If you want to hear a sample of what to expect check out our test show reels at http://mixlr.com/spyrateradio/showreel/
We a really excited for Tiki Oasis, and we have a few more things in the works that we can't announce just yet!
Please tune us in! Look for our flyers at Tiki Oasis!
We will be broadcasting on the internet this year too!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jul 27, 2013 3:18 PM

#17 The CLAMPETTS!**

Born: Ozarks, or thereabouts
Likes: Gettin' the better of Mr. Drysdale, curing Mrs. Drysdale's "condition," avoiding Miss Hathaway, doing Gazintas, going for a dip in the cement pond, getting a boy friend for Elly May, (HOLY TURNIP GREENS WHY IS THAT SO HARD?!?!?!?) having XXX hooch for medicinal reasons only, you know, crawdads, possum pie, heck, just about everything good an' tastee that they don't got much of here in Californee!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jul 27, 2013 8:29 PM

New Elizabethan-Shakespearian-Hillbilly Word For The Day:

Whittle! (To carve)

From Middle English Whyttel (knife), Old English Thwitan (to strike or carve down)

As in -
Crazy Al whittled this:

Wow Cammo that's wonderful. Wendy

Tune it to Go Kat Go the Rockabilly show right now for their special Tiki Oasis Hulabilly set of tunes!

http://www.live365.com/index.live

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 2, 2013 10:07 AM

#18 EARL SCRUGGS**

Born: Flint Hill, North Carolina
Likes: Playin' banjo like God himself was in his fingers itchin' to get out
Also: Founded the greatest band name of all time: The Foggy Mountain Boys!
And: Played banjo on "The Ballad of Jed Clampett"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies