Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 2013 - HulaBilly - Official thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies

C
Cammo posted on Tue, May 14, 2013 7:56 PM

**Greatest Hillbillies of All Time

#2 Ernest T. Bass**

Born: No record of his birth or death. Somewhere around Mayberry?
Likes to: Throw rocks at windows. And yell "It's ME it's ME, it's ERNEST T!!!!" when he shows up in town.
Wants: A gold tooth.

C
Cammo posted on Wed, May 15, 2013 6:24 AM

#3 Elly Mae Clampett **

Born: Bugtussle, Missouri
Likes to: Play with her critter friends. Beat up Jethro. Swim in the Cement Pond.

(Yow! Here she is after a bleach job.)

C
Cammo posted on Wed, May 15, 2013 6:31 AM

John-O -

A doubleneck longhorn Denelectro?!?!?
Shake it, Jed!

John-O,
Great Jed Clampett pic with double neck "gee-tar". I also forgot how hot Ellie May was, even before the dye job. Almost kind of prefer it. I may have to rethink my position, seems there is room for all, although I still dig the rockabilly angle. Thanks for the cool photos.

Hulabilly

Bill Haley

The King

Big Sandy

The Hula Hawaiians

Buddy Knox

Spike,
Niiiccceee!! A little perspective.

C

#4 Elvis "The Pelvis" Presley **

Born: Tupelo, Mississippi in a two room shotgun house built by his dad.
Likes: Singing. Playing guitar. Smirking. Girls, girls, girls.

Curious Factoid: Elvis had a genetically identical twin brother who died at birth. Both were blond; Elvis dyed his hair black for his whole life. This means that in some alternate universe where his brother actually survived, there is an incredibly popular singing act of twin blond brothers - Elvis and Jesse - who took the world by storm in the 1950s and kept each other away from drugs and boozing. They are still in perfect health and have had sexual relations with 87,234,872 girls as of this date.

Elvis gone deep hillbilly...

YouTube: Kissin' Cousins trailer

And with Batgirl in a bikini! Amazing how actresses from the Batman TV show pop up on this thread.

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 17, 2013 6:45 AM

#5 Stella Stevens**

Born: Yazoo City, Mississippi
Bio: Married at 15, Mother at 16, Divorced at 17, Actress

This years theme still....not about Hillbillies.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 17, 2013 5:26 PM

#6 Pendleton Vandiver **

Born: Rosine, Kentucky or thereabouts.
Likes: Playin' fiddle on top of his hill. Raisin' kids right.

O
Otto posted on Sat, May 18, 2013 12:14 AM

Wow Cammo, I didn't realize how Hillbilly Stella Stevens really is!?!
Here's some more evidence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b2QouimNBE

C
Cammo posted on Sat, May 18, 2013 9:56 AM

#7 Appassionata Von Climax **

Born: Who cares? LOOK at this woman! Is that the first freakin' thing you would ask her - where were you born?!?! I don't think so! I mean, if SHE doesn't remember where she was born (she was awful young then) why would YOU care? Huh?

Likes: Makin' men beg for it. The red department of Wal-Mart. Diamonds.

*Tina Louise was 23 at the time of this photograph.

MT

On 2013-05-17 10:46, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Whoodjya think's gonna be drinkin' at this thar swaree down by the cement pond? :D

C
Cammo posted on Sun, May 19, 2013 6:09 AM

Granny an Jethro, thass who! Granny sez she like that Rockabilly stuff, specially the "billy" part, but its gonna a take a whole HEAP o' XXX jumpin' juice to get her feet dancing again!

On 2013-05-18 11:12, Mai Tai wrote:

On 2013-05-17 10:46, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Whoodjya think's gonna be drinkin' at this thar swaree down by the cement pond? :D

And not even 10 hours later Bill & I are soaking up the booze & heat at Caliente, Sucka's

C

#8 The Carters. Mostly Billy.**

Born: Plains, Georgia
Bio: Attended Emory unsuccessfully, joined and then left the Marines, grew peanuts unsuccessfully, ran an unsuccessful mayoral campaign, sponsored the worst beer ever made and had to sell his house to pay off his beer debts, ran an unsuccessful filling station, finally had unsuccessful treatments for pancreatic cancer.

O
Otto posted on Tue, May 21, 2013 1:11 AM

OK, thanks Cammo! Awesome background and food for thought.
Now back to our regular scheduled programming

Did you know that we have a hotel deal with Comfort Inn & Suites which is walking distance from Crowne Plaza (about 5 minutes further than Motel 6)
Their rate is $145 and includes FULL breakfast buffet (Motel 6 is $120 and includes NOTHING), If you have two people in your room you get all you can eat breakfast for $25 day!?!

So Book em here
Hotel Line: (619) 881-6200
use Tiki Oasis as your code for group rate

C

Ok, thanks Otto - "food for thought" indeed!

#9 Joanna Moore **

Born: Parrott, Georgia
Bio: Orphaned as a child, married & divorced as a teen, won a beauty contest, married Ryan O'Neal, mother of Tatum and Griffin O'Neal, then basically drank, drugged and smoked herself to death while living in communal shacks.
Likes: Marrying anything with 3 legs, singlehandedly keeping the local Bev-Mo in business.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, May 26, 2013 6:28 AM

Well, since I've got a few PMs about this, you folks are right, the subject of teenage marriage DOES come up a lot in the life of the typical hillbilly.

What exactly ARE the laws today regarding young love? Without getting too much into the county-by-county details such as having to present a birth certificate or if the girl you are marrying is pregnant (apparently making it fine to marry her) here is my quick reference guide:

2013 Lower Limit Marriage Age By Southern State
Georgia: 16
Alabama: 14
Arkansas: Males 17, Females 16
Mississippi: Males 17, Females 15
North Carolina: 14
South Carolina: Male 16, Female 14
Kentucky: No lower limit
Tennessee: No lower limit with a waiver from the Juvenile Court
Virginia: No lower limit with parents consent
West Virginia: No lower limit with parents consent
Louisiana: No lower limit with a court order
Missouri: No lower limit with a court order

So thar y'go.

How cool would a Tiki Oasis, Deke Dickerson\ SCOTS split 7” be.

Just throwing it out there. :wink:

O
Otto posted on Tue, May 28, 2013 11:30 PM

On 2013-05-27 23:00, Sofa King wrote:
How cool would a Tiki Oasis, Deke Dickerson SCOTS split 7� be.

Funny you should mention THAT.
Deke was the Friday night headliner!
Then he got an offer he couldn't refuse when The Reverend Horton Heat came a knockin and wanna take him on tour in August.

But we got Deke's favorite musical pal Chris "Sugarballs" Sprague and he's fixin up a mighty fine set just fer y'all down dar at Cheeky Oasis.

SK

On 2013-05-28 23:30, Otto wrote:

On 2013-05-27 23:00, Sofa King wrote:
How cool would a Tiki Oasis, Deke Dickerson SCOTS split 7� be.

Funny you should mention THAT.
Deke was the Friday night headliner!
Then he got an offer he couldn't refuse when The Reverend Horton Heat came a knockin and wanna take him on tour in August.

But we got Deke's favorite musical pal Chris "Sugarballs" Sprague and he's fixin up a mighty fine set just fer y'all down dar at Cheeky Oasis.

Bummer. Oh well that just means there is more room for the Hula Girls or Big Sandy on the next Tiki Oasis record :)
(can you tell I really want a new TO 7")

Still a killer line up and good for Deke.

[ Edited by: Sofa King 2013-05-29 13:02 ]

T

NEWSFLASH:

Hillbilly does not equal Hulabilly.

now..

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-05-30 09:39 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-05-30 09:41 ]

Yup!

J

On 2013-05-30 09:38, Tiki-ESP wrote:

Great Balls of Fire, Goodness Gracious !!

HAH! I used to run around singing that song when I was a kid! You made my day, JOHN-O!

C

#10 Bill Monroe**

Born: Rosine, Kentucky or thereabouts. Raised on a mountaintop by Uncle Pen.
Likes: Playin' a mando like God himself was in his fingers.

O
Otto posted on Fri, May 31, 2013 11:41 PM

On 2013-05-30 12:16, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2013-05-30 09:38, Tiki-ESP wrote:

Good job John-O
That says it all!!

On 2013-05-30 12:16, JOHN-O wrote:

Was Smuffy Sniff a Tiki Central member in the past?

Check out last post on this thread...

TikiCentral: What I've learned from Tiki Central

GN

Howdy Tiki Central!

The B-Stars are super excited to head down from San Francisco for Hulabilly! Our official set is on Friday, and we're looking forward to seein' ya all.

On 2013-06-01 09:03, G Neat-O wrote:
Howdy Tiki Central!

The B-Stars are super excited to head down from San Francisco for Hulabilly! Our official set is on Friday, and we're looking forward to seein' ya all.

And we are super excited to have you guys come play too! You guys are fantastic!

GN

awww, shucks. thanks.

SB

2013 Tiki Oasis! WHAT do you have planned for your ROOM party?!

Coming down from San Francisco/A-Town Booking Agency & Events (http://www.atownagency.com) and open for your HulaBilly Room party...
THE B-STARS - http://thebstars.com/
DJ TANOA "SAMOA BOY" - http://www.samoaboy.com/

plus I will have a full P.A. system, package deals and party time!! Please inquire within!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jun 1, 2013 10:23 PM

"Ink Free Baby" - that's funny! Love you guys, come on down!

J

Like Cammo, I love Hillbilly-Style but for now...

THIS IS HULABILLY !!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jun 3, 2013 8:11 AM

Love the Hula Girls, but as Martin Mull once said,
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

T

Why not just call it Hillbilly then?

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Jun 4, 2013 2:07 PM

:right:

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Jun 4, 2013 2:08 PM

On 2013-06-03 09:42, Tiki-ESP wrote:

Why not just call it Hillbilly then?

There's room for both, whether we're talking "Blue Hawaii" Elvis…

Who by the way was also known as the "HILLBILLY Cat".

Or "Punkin' Puss & Mushmouse"…

Or the "Hillbilly Bears"…

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-06-04 14:23 ]

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jun 4, 2013 5:08 PM

or...

#11 Janis Martin **

Born: Sutherlin, Virginia
Likes: Gettin' married young, rock n' roll, Elvis. In that order.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 4, 2013 7:19 PM

[ Edited by: grog 2013-06-05 01:21 ]

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jun 9, 2013 6:16 PM

What happened GROG?
Somebody CLOMP him on head with STICK?

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jun 9, 2013 6:25 PM

#12 Davy Crockett **

Born: Greene County, Tennessee, right beside the Nolichucky River

T

<

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-06-10 08:17 ]

J

Hmmm... it would appear that both GROG and Tiki-ESP are self-censoring Hillybilly haters who take issue with the "derailment" of this year's Tiki Oasis. :D

If you're really serious about HULA-billy as a musical genre then go to this thread I started, otherwise HILL-billies in mid-century pop culture were Gol' durned FUN !! :)

Seriously though I think Hillbillies might share even more of a zeitgeist with Tiki than the past Oasis themes of "Spy" or "South of the Border". (Actually I don't even know what "zeitgeist" means but the Bigbro uses that word a lot).

Here's my reason... I think backwoods disinhibition of Hillbillies resonated with middle class suburban L7's much in the same way the "modern primitive" appeal of Tiki did. Hillbillies were free from all of the uptight social conventions that pre-counterculture America had to adhere to. Hillbillies said whatever was on their mind, made their own moonshine, married their underaged cousins, and shot at those pesky revenuers.

I think that was part of the big appeal of the "Beverly Hillbillies"' which was one of the most successful sitcoms in television history, along with other popular rural themed comedies like "Green Acres","Petticoat Junction","Andy Griffith", and "Gomer Pyle".

And before the "Beverly Hillbillies"' there were "The Real McCoys" who hit the airways roughly around the same time Tikis starting popping up in "Polynesian" restaurants.

The Hillbilly craze was sweeping the nation !! :D

I

Ok all you Volunteers! I here to tell ya all that the wildest volunteers in the west are gonna get some confirmation emails right proper like in the next few days! So keep an eye for the email and confirm your shift! Watch your email.... Right now... Go on git!

T

On 2013-06-10 15:30, JOHN-O wrote:
Hmmm... it would appear that both GROG and Tiki-ESP are self-censoring Hillybilly haters who take issue with the "derailment" of this year's Tiki Oasis. :D

If you're really serious about HULA-billy as a musical genre then go to this thread I started, otherwise HILL-billies in mid-century pop culture were Gol' durned FUN !! :)

Seriously though I think Hillbillies might share even more of a zeitgeist with Tiki than the past Oasis themes of "Spy" or "South of the Border". (Actually I don't even know what "zeitgeist" means but the Bigbro uses that word a lot).

Here's my reason... I think backwoods disinhibition of Hillbillies resonated with middle class suburban L7's much in the same way the "modern primitive" appeal of Tiki did. Hillbillies were free from all of the uptight social conventions that pre-counterculture America had to adhere to. Hillbillies said whatever was on their mind, made their own moonshine, married their underaged cousins, and shot at those pesky revenuers.

I think that was part of the big appeal of the "Beverly Hillbillies"' which was one of the most successful sitcoms in television history, along with other popular rural themed comedies like "Green Acres","Petticoat Junction","Andy Griffith", and "Gomer Pyle".

And before the "Beverly Hillbillies"' there were "The Real McCoys" who hit the airways roughly around the same time Tikis starting popping up in "Polynesian" restaurants.

The Hillbilly craze was sweeping the nation !! :D

You take from the event what you will, or call it whatever you like. But seems disingenuous to the essence of the event when it is called a "Hulabilly" event, but yet a majority of the marketing, and posts here, are referencing the Hillybilly theme. These are distinctly two different words, with different meanings. Its like going into a restaurant that on the outside advertises as French cuisine, but once you are inside its serving Mexican, or vice versa.

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-06-10 18:34 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies