Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 2013 - HulaBilly - Official thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies

THIS is what the theme is all about. The definition of hulbilly right here. The merging of hapahaole and rockabilly. A GREAT song by a great rockabilly singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ZT74-78EE

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2013-08-02 11:08 ]

YES! what Spike said, bitches! "Hula-Billy"
palm trees not backwoods, you bucktooth loving inbreds.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Aug 3, 2013 11:08 AM

**Greatest Hillbillies of All Time

#19 The Darlings AKA The Dillards **

Born: Salem, Missouri
Likes: Playin' banjo, mando, big fat bass, dobro, geetar, but mostly keepin' out of Andy and Barney's way

For those who have been waiting for it to be posted and or
Hasn't noticed.
The schedule of events and times are up now
On the Tiki Oasis web site.

Quite the full itinerary for 4 days n nights.
I'm tired just reading it.

Jeff btd

O
Otto posted on Sat, Aug 3, 2013 1:04 PM

So will there be any booze at this thing?

O
Otto posted on Sat, Aug 3, 2013 1:29 PM

On 2013-08-02 11:08, Luckydesigns wrote:
THIS is what the theme is all about. The definition of hulbilly right here. The merging of hapahaole and rockabilly. A GREAT song by a great rockabilly singer.

Lucky, you hit it on the head. This one's a classic. The true Hulabilly period is really short 1957-1960
Smokey Joe Baugh and Bill Haley being two of the bigger acts putting out "Hula" singles in 1957, then Elvis Presley with "Rock a Hula"
BUT
That won't stop us here at Tiki Oasis headquarters from making signatured corn cob pipes for attendees to enjoy while sittin on their porch!!

S

On 2013-08-03 13:29, Otto wrote:
BUT
That won't stop us here at Tiki Oasis headquarters from making signatured corn cob pipes for attendees to enjoy while sittin on their porch!!

Well that will look mighty nice next to the squirt gun from last year's party.

12 days to go!

Luckydesigns thank you for the posted poster. Based on it I've decided to add a top to my hula woman I'm doing for the show. Cheers, Wendy

Nooooooooooo!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 4, 2013 2:35 AM

On 2013-08-03 13:29, Otto wrote:
Lucky, you hit it on the head. This one's a classic. The true Hulabilly period is really short 1957-1960
Smokey Joe Baugh and Bill Haley being two of the bigger acts putting out "Hula" singles in 1957, then Elvis Presley with "Rock a Hula"

Please God, let #20 be Cammo's last HILLBILLY post! Squid and Ruzic did the HILLBILLY theme at Oasis several years ago.

Well, here's Pappy and Junior rite now!

And that city slicker, Big Toad stopped on by for a friendly visit.

Our proud heritage!

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Aug 4, 2013 2:34 PM

GROG thinks he's discouraging the "Hillbilly" theme with that last post but actually he's encouraging it !! Thanks GROG. :)

Anyway here's Acapulco Radio at Purple Orchid on the first stop of their So Ca tour, all the way from Berlin. What a fun set it was.

They are Hulabilly...

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Aug 5, 2013 6:24 PM

**Greatest Hillbillies of All Time

#20 THESE GUYS!!!!!**

Born: On a Mountaintop in Tennessee

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Aug 5, 2013 6:25 PM

Can I get 23 of those corny cob pipes please?
No special reason.
Make that 24.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 6, 2013 6:27 PM

GROG stop reading now!

Stop!

Don't read anymore of this post!

Go over to Bilge or something!

Go write something funny for a change!

Cause this post obviously AIN'T FER YOU!!!!!

We know you won't like it cause you don't like this kind of thing.

That's OK cause I respect your special lifestyle. And I hope California allows you to legally wed soon.

Anyway, the rest of this post is nothing but...

HILLBILLY GIRLS!

Here's a present for everybody making it to the bottom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtQNnlQLlwk&feature=player_embedded#at=42

T
THOR's posted on Tue, Aug 6, 2013 6:30 PM

Well...HELLO friends in Tiki~~
It's been way too long since my last post...LIFE got in the way and I returned to my foundation career designing rides and attractions last 3 years...am having an awesome time!! Much of it is over seas but a lot coming to our coast as well! I put my Tiki Brushes in the drawer for a bit, and took a little break from my Tiki Passion to "reboot". However, I have ideas like mad and starting to create again in my spare time...even some mugs!! I have a kiln that is groaning at the thought of all I have queued up!!

I left a great position recently, a hard choice but a good one...to accept an offer to support visualization and creative direction on the soon to be new, ''Clifton's Brookdale' in downtown LA...WHICH WILL BLOW MINDS when we get this open in the next year or so. The developer/owner is a truly terrific guy named Andrew Meieran, who also is owner and creator of the "EDISON"...an incredible place in Downtown LA as well. He and I were introduced to each other by no other than Holden Westland, who's mug genius will no doubt be part of the creations. Lot's on our agenda this year...and my plate creatively on Clifton's and several other ventures with Disney as we grow this new company and think tank.

Anyway, Please come by the pool suite this Year and say hello! I am mainly here this year to actually just enjoy myself for a change...will be bringing a few prototype mugs I am creating that are super fun..looking for feedback, but thats all. I plan to have a new website soon to cover my Tiki Art items soon to come. Sharing the suite with me are my fellow partners in craziness, Kinney (little lost Tiki), and Al (that crazy one!). We hope to host a super fun open house atmosphere of socializing and artistic banter...plus rum! Come hang...it will be certain fun!

Looking forward seeing old friends and meeting new! OH!! I busted a little arce last weekend to paint up an 8' by 8' photo backdrop for Otto for all you to get your pics taken in front of...a sure Hillbilly meets Tiki thang! I am posting the rough sketch I did as to what it will be like..but the actual one is far more developed and in full color! Imagine yourself sittin' on a hay bale like a couple of hooch brewing mongrel's!! See yah at Tiki Oasis!

Magic and Aloha, THOR

Best way to reach me for art or questions directly is this link: https://www.facebook.com/tom.thordarson.3
OR Search on Facebook for : THOR ART

[ Edited by: THOR's 2013-08-06 18:32 ]

B
BigToe posted on Tue, Aug 6, 2013 9:16 PM

Yahooo!!!! Loooking forward to hoisting a cocktail and hearing about your projects THOR!!

O
Otto posted on Wed, Aug 7, 2013 1:17 AM

an iffin' ya'll still don' git it! then you gotta stick around for the INtire weekend and see Elvis impersonator El Vez and hillbilly band Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys

V

Yaaay THOR! I cherish the memory of you sharing your ono-licious pizza & talking story with us by the pool after Ms. VanTiki and I were freed from our booth at 5pm at our first Tiki Oasis (2011?). Can't wait to see you!

ON that note, I am finding it almost IMPOSSIBLE to focus on my day job responsibilities knowing that Tiki Oasis is literally DAYS away! I can't get on that plane soon enough!

See you all in (gasp) 8 days!!!

Henrik "VanTiki"

I

Hey free tickets to Tiki Oasis sound nice? Well I gots the way for you to get em!

Howdy Parnders! We had a few folks cancel due to life situaions.
Which means we have 7 of the wildest volunteer posisitions
in the Wilderness open! You think you have what it takes to be a
Tiki Oasis volunteer? Now if you do fill out the app below.

If you have said you where open to volunteer but the shift
you wanted was closed, here's your chance to get the shift
you want at the time frame that meets your busy Tiki Oasis schedule.

Theres a reason we have volunteers on our crew year after year, its fun!
Plus you meet a whole bunch of people.

http://tinyurl.com/2013-tiki

[email protected]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 7, 2013 12:17 PM

Sorry Cammo. But most of those photos are just pretty women wearing daisey dukes. Hillbilly women are more like this:

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-08-07 12:17 ]

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Aug 7, 2013 2:36 PM

GROG say "most of those photos are just pretty women wearing daisey dukes."

That's the point! (I told you to stop reading!)

Is this better? No Daisey Dukes!

Barbi Benton, one of the Hee Haw Honeys.

Hula-Billy, you inbred bastard! :)

Agree with ATP, too much billy, not enough hula.

Now to restore some balance to this thread with some Hula!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 7, 2013 5:02 PM

ATP, you are GROG' hero.

Cammo's Canadian, 'Nough said.

T
THOR's posted on Wed, Aug 7, 2013 7:20 PM

I have a question I can't hold in... WHY is it that women in these pics look like it was about 3 degrees in the room when they took off their tops? Is it it global warming that changes things these days or is it me????? ~~~THOR

Why Tom, those grass skirts are naturally cool & breezy....

D

DONT FER GIT ALL YOU TOOFLESS HULABILLYS CUM ON BY A SIT A SPELL AN VISIT WITH THE DEADHEAD KIN FOLK AT THE "DEADHEAD ROLLIN TIKI BAR" AT THE CAR SHOW... NO MOON SHINE CUZ THAT SHERIFF WIL BE A LOOKIN FER US ... CUM BY AN GIT YERSELF A TIKIT FER OUR RAFFLE AT OUR FUNTASTIC ROOM PARTY ON SAT NITE .. BRING YER KIN FOLK AND CURB YER DONKEY WE IS ABOUT TO BURN THE BARN DOWN!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

[ Edited by: Deadhead 2013-08-08 09:14 ]

[ Edited by: Deadhead 2013-08-08 09:15 ]

[ Edited by: Deadhead 2013-08-08 09:17 ]

THIS is what HULABILLY is all about. The definition of hulbilly right here.
The merging of hapahaole and rockabilly. Another GREAT song by a great rockabilly singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZYTgVrZzgc

Too much off topic non-sense on this thread...

S

On 2013-08-08 13:13, Luckydesigns wrote:
Too much off topic non-sense on this thread...

It really doesn't matter....everyone who comes to Oasis has a blast regardless of the theme or how they interpret it so who cares if people go off topic. Its 4 days of boozin'....the whole weekend is off topic :)

Its not like people will be booing The Hula Girls off the stage and stomping their feet demanding a bunch of people playing washboards go onstage instead :)

Looking forward to Oasis so much...from the crazy outfits, room parties, the rock-a-sillies who think its a fashion show, the vendors, symposiums and of course the bands....esp The HGs opening up for SCOTS.

It is going to be such a great Oasis!!

1 week to go!

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2013-08-08 16:13 ]

No, you're right, Liz. I'm just sayin'...

Say it loud & Proud, Brother!
It's a genre you brought back into the light!
and what is the point of having a theme then?

Spike is correct about one thing though...

This thread definitely needs more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DTLPOXYOU4

And less http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

O
Otto posted on Fri, Aug 9, 2013 1:48 AM

On 2013-08-09 01:04, Bruddah Bear wrote:

Spike is correct about one thing though...

This thread definitely needs more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DTLPOXYOU4

And less http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

the second video has 2.3 million views!!

just sayin'....

O
Otto posted on Fri, Aug 9, 2013 1:57 AM

Well, there'll be none of THIS there cause it's HULABILLY, not hillbilly. ; )

thanks THOR !

That painting has a big tiki tie-in. That's not what I was complaining about. Great painting Thor!
I'm not saying hillbillies aren't part of it, I'm just saying its TIKI Oasis. Shouldn't any hillbilly thing discussed here relate in some way to tiki?
Blue Grass Skirt is a great song! And a great example of tying country/ hillbilly music to Hawaii/ hula!

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2013-08-09 08:11 ]

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Aug 9, 2013 8:12 AM

This is what I'm talkin' 'bout...

1. Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A by Moon Muligan (Here's a version by Eartha Kitt)

2. Everybody Does It In Hawaii by Jimmie Rodgers (Love that yodeling !!)

3. Hawaiian Cowboy by Roy Rogers (More yodeling !!) (Edit - Video removed ?)

4. Hula Rock by Bill Browning

5. Bop-A-Hula by Jimmy Newman

6. Hillbilly Hula by Jenks "Tex" Carman

7. Hula Boogie by Tommy Durden

8. Hawaiian Boogie by Elmore James

9. Hula Bop by Smokey Joe Baugh

10. Me Rock-A-Hula by Bill Haley & the Comets (I think this is a song that The Hula Girls are covering now)

11. Lula Rock-A-Hula by Teresa Brewer

12. Hawaiian Rock by Tommy Sands (Better than Elvis !!)

13. Hawaiian Rock & Roll by Morgan Clarke & The Hulawains

14. Chimpanzee Rock by the Hula Hawaiians (a 1957 Rockabilly tune by a Swiss group !!)

That said, I do think that Hillbillies are Tiki !! (Sorry Spike) :)

"...the backwoods disinhibition of Hillbillies resonated with middle class suburban L7's much in the same way the "modern primitive" appeal of Tiki did. Hillbillies were free from all of the uptight social conventions that pre-counterculture America had to adhere to. Hillbillies said whatever was on their mind, made their own moonshine, married their underaged cousins, and shot at those pesky revenuers."

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-08-09 08:35 ]

Totally agree, John O! See ya Sat.

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2013-08-09 10:30 ]

Oh and I forgot to say that I like the mobile Deadhead rum camper/trailer! I missed coming out to your booth at Tonga Hut's anniversary party....great you guys will be at TO!

RL

The Ding Dong Devils are playing two room different parties this year!! It's like a tour where we just have to haul our gear up the side of the hotel walls two floors. Let's do it!!!!

C
cy posted on Fri, Aug 9, 2013 3:57 PM

Great news Rama Lama, I was hoping you would be there- see you then!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 9, 2013 4:45 PM

"The only reason we have this party is because Otto and Doe throw it."

Absolutely.

And I think Otto obviously did an freakin' amazing job this year putting together the band lineup, this is gonna be one fine hell for leather party!!!!!

I hope Southern Culture On The Skids does some major sections of their Zombified record; Chris Sprague, Big Sandy, El Vez, the Lucky Stars, Jason Lee, the B Stars, Roy Rapid, Marina, the DJs and every single other performer looks top notch and itchin' to GO GO GO.

I got no complaints, it just can't get here FAST ENOUGH!!!

O

I am a Man of Constant Sorrows- Oh Brother Where Art Thou
http://youtu.be/YZtgZ5fHOuU

On 2013-08-09 17:50, Ojaitimo wrote:
I am a Man of Constant Sorrows- Oh Brother Where Art Thou
http://youtu.be/YZtgZ5fHOuU

Great song, Great Movie.....not Hulabilly!

On 2013-08-04 02:35, GROG wrote:

Please God, let #20 be Cammo's last HILLBILLY post! Squid and Ruzic did the HILLBILLY theme at Oasis several years ago.

Well, here's Pappy and Junior rite now!

And that city slicker, Big Toad stopped on by for a friendly visit.

Our proud heritage!

What exactly needs to happen to have a repeat of this set up from TO 2009??

Squid come out of hibernation and bring your overalls xoxoxox

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies