Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 2013 - HulaBilly - Official thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies

CA

looking for Palmtrees and a horse...... and a shirt....

Whooooooooooooo Doggy... Come By THOR's Jumpin' Jee Ho'z A Sassafras Show-case & Shoot'en Up Review...Cast yur eye on these...

the mugs are hand signed by Sammy Hagar and myself, one of a kind glazes... info: http://www.tikimania.com/docs/ALmug_Sam.html

Only 12 of the Bolo Ties where made, many as one of a kind also.

Come by our Mysteries of the South Seas vending spot next to TikiTony and say hi.

Debuting our new mug based on a Papua New Guinea drum. We will only have 10 for Oasis.

Different glazes plus our Pygmy Skull mug. Only 5 for Oasis.

Plus some hard to find vintage plastic leis

A bunch of lamps.

Plus vintage Black Velvet Paintings, Tiki, and Hawaiiana from our collection. Looking forward to seeing you all soon! Aloha

BV

Here it is folks! The 2013 Tiki Hell Mug. Another Top Notch original. Available at the 14 foot Tiki out by the cement pond!
Don't forget to stop by Tiki Hell, Room 1749, for some dancing and fun!

Hell yes!

On 2013-08-15 12:29, Big Vic wrote:
Here it is folks! The 2013 Tiki Hell Mug. Another Top Notch original. Available at the 14 foot Tiki out by the cement pond!
Don't forget to stop by Tiki Hell, Room 1749, for some dancing and fun!

Trader Morts only has the 151 Lemon Hart...

I think you bought the last of the 80 Hang10! :)

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-08-15 21:44 ]

Mr n Mrs
Luna

Look who is Lost in Paradise

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-08-16 08:56 ]

Let the good times roll, with E Numi Numi and Tiki Vato!

All dressed up and ready to go! Tiki Broker Party about to begin...

S

On 2013-08-16 16:53, Tiki Mysterioso wrote:
Let the good times roll, with E Numi Numi and Tiki Vato!

Two of my most favourite people.

T

On 2013-08-15 07:28, bongofury wrote:
Come by our Mysteries of the South Seas vending spot next to TikiTony and say hi.
A bunch of lamps.

Nice tie job on this one.
Love the mugs too!

Party pics from Tiki Broker and Doug Dorrs party through the eyes of the GoPro party cam!

Hey look who's here!

Full house in the Grotto...

Overflow out of the Grotto!

Smile Ladys!

Hey what's shrunken head corn hole anyways?

Is this thing turned on?

Tiki Oasis get's mentioned by the mainstream media....

San Diego U-T: TIki Oasis 13

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Aug 18, 2013 8:05 PM

Best.

Oasis.

Ever.

Personal faves; Roy Rapid and the Rhythm Rock Trio, the watermelon carve-off that became a giant watermelon picnic, the ukulele jam, Colonel Saunders' Flying Fried Chicken, the pool, Jason Lee's amp turned to "12" on the reverb, Diplomatico in the black bottle, Charles Phoenix, Cheryl Crane, and...

EL VEZ!

Lots of great bands this weekend.
But Surfer Joe at the Swank Bastards room,
Stole the show for me.

The Tiki Oasis crowd was amazing! You guys were SO good to us! Thanks everyone!!
And seriously, I have the best band in the world. Doug, Christian, Gary, Judy Luck, Dinah DeRosa and the ones who weren't with us tonight, Shorty, Neva Moore, and Audie Lorainne. Love you guys!

Thanks again to Otto and Baby Doe for having us play and for making 'Hulabily' the theme this year. It was perfect! Can't wait for the 'Beatnik' theme next year!

The absolute highlight for me at TO was Rick Miller from Southern Culture coming up to me and saying, "The Hula Girls, right? Man, you guys were really, really cool!" Amazing. SCOTs was absolutley part of the inspiration for me to start The Hula Girls. I figured that if people could be into their weirdo 'nitch' hillbilly surf band, then I could make my tiki/ rockabilly thing work.

Here's a video I came across of us performing our "Curse of the Tiki!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axMyi-MIyZ0

What a blast!!

J

Yeah, I know 2012's Spy Oasis was wildly popular but I liked this year better. The whole Aloha wear mixed with cowboy hats, Nudie suits, and farmer's overalls was a much better aesthetic. And rather than the expected PBR-drunk Rockabilly alpha males wanting to beat up non-confrontational Tikiphiles, we got lots of vintage pin-up model chicks instead. :)

I think I'll wear my overalls again next year. I just hope it goes well with a beret.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 19, 2013 5:29 PM

GROG have mucho fun. Great hanging out with artists and friends. Here's some photos. GROG add more later.

Marina the fiery mermaid!

Elvez!!

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-08-21 11:44 ]

Good photos Grog! I'm glad to be home but what a fun 4 days!

Thanks to all the TO13 crawl-party hosts for good drinks and music, especially the COTE for having the Ding Dong Devils and Jason Lee and the Riptides. Great sets from each.

Great photos GROG and hag10tiki. I can't believe my goal to hug GROG did not make it into a photo. At least I got the hugs and this photo. Wendy

MadDogMike Dan GROG

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-08-20 07:48 ]

The Three Musketeers

Sums it up for me.

(Sorry, no idea how to re-orient images on here...)

:)

I didn't want all the PBR to drip out

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-08-20 14:48 ]

O

Baby Doe and Otto, thank you and your entire crew for a unforgettable experience at Tiki Oasis 13. It was awesome! Here are a few highlights starting Sunday night and going backwards through Friday morning when I got there and more photos and video soon. Can't wait for 2014 Daddio!

Big Sandy and the Fly Boys at the Sunday main event with Excene Cervenka from the Punk rock group X who joined big Sandy in singing.

King Kukelele and his ukulele jam

The wilder side of TO

This was one side of the Hanalei during the room parties.

El Vez
img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5344/5213068e.jpg[/img]

Miss Tiki Oasis 13 finalists

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2013-08-21 14:23 ]

Yes indeedy!

Lost In Paradise: Tiki Oasis Hulabilly at the Bali Hai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6b9pnUEJ_M

On 2013-08-16 08:53, hang10tiki wrote:
Look who is Lost in Paradise

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-08-16 08:56 ]

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2013-08-20 19:34 ]

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2013-08-21 11:39 ]

TT

Thanks for the pics Ojaitimo!

O

Doc Shocker's COTE 1am show

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2013-08-26 11:13 ]

Aloha and thank you to Otto, Baby Doe, and all the staff and volunteers that pull this thing off each year. Val and I once again had a great time. It may be the thing we look forward to most each year. Each one goes by quicker than the last, but only because we meet so many more fun and interesting people to spend time with each year. There's just too many highlights to itemize them all, but a few personal standouts were:

• Creepxotica at the Bali Hai and the Thursday welcome night in general
  • Learning about Moonshine and white whiskey with Matthew Rowley
  • Martin Cate's presentation on Steve Crane
  • The Purple Orchid, Boozin on The Bayou, COTE, and Thee Swank Bastards room parties. Thank you to the hosts, bands, and bartenders that make these happen.
  • The Hula Girls set on Saturday night - they killed it.
  • Charles Phoenix for helping get everyone up and awake on Sunday morning after everything that happens on Saturday night.
  • Fisherman smiling and playing vibes in the atrium every chance he could. That was great to have outside the front door.
  • Big Sandy on Sunday was a revelation for me. I'd never seen him perform before and wow, what a showman.

And, as the cliche goes, So. Much. More. It's the year's best exhausting vacation.

As for photos, I have a few. They're wildly inconsistent in terms of documenting the entire event. Mostly they were just taken when I remembered to take the camera off my shoulder.

Starting with Thursday, and more to come later this week as I sort through them.

Higher resolution versions can be found on Flickr.

Mahalo!

kevin

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 21, 2013 11:20 AM

Some more photos from GROG (posted some on the previous page).

DEREK!!!!! Awesome artist and friend. Love that guy!

Gigantor. Doug Horne.

Gigantor. Doug Horne.

Muy talented Brad Ableson. Worked with him on The Simpsons.

Kitty Chow!!

Tiki Magazine that WAS. Kari and Nick. GROG Love you two.

Got hair made up and fake eyelashes at the car show.

Danny (Tiki Diablo) and Notch. Awesome guys. Aweosme talent.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-08-21 11:34 ]

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-08-21 12:01 ]

On 2013-08-20 14:46, hang10tiki wrote:

I didn't want all the PBR to drip out

Thanks Hang 10!

TT

Thanks for the pics Heylownine and Grog!

C
cy posted on Wed, Aug 21, 2013 10:15 PM

Thanks to Otto , Baby Doe, Christy and all for putting on such a great show. The hotel staff were exceptional as was my vending location. Favorite memory was the guy dressed up like a hillbilly that fell into the hotel lobby display and had to be extricated amid the jumble of wood, tiki, straw, and copper tubing. Musical highlights include the Thursday Creepxotica show at the Bali Hai (along with action packed shuttle rides to and fro) Jason Lee and the R.I.P.tides, B Stars, Acapulco Radio, and Big Sandy and his Fly-Rite boys which features one of the best guitarists I have ever heard. Great pics from Ojaltimo and heylownine, how were you everywhere at once? Here are a few shots, many taken before the action started.

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/54811/52159a73.jpg[/img
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/54811/52159adf.jpg)

[ Edited by: cy 2013-08-21 22:17 ]

Thanks Cy! You'll see a distinct drop-off in my photo coverage as the weekend progresses. :)

kevin

Time for Friday. Two advance apologies to the artists in the art show - I didn't come close to getting all the pieces photographed and I mostly forgot to also take a photo of the title cards. Something for me to work on next year.

Higher resolution versions can be found on Flickr.

Mahalo!

kevin

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 23, 2013 10:55 PM

Alright. Now which one of you bastards gave GROG a cold? GROG better not have to postpone heart surgery because one of you bastards got GROG sick!

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-08-24 08:22 ]

Never a contender for best drink or party, but that's why we do it right? Deadhead Rum sponsors;
Tiki Broker, and Doug Dorr's Party on friday...

Lady's and Gentlemen let the party begin!

The ladys...like Deadhead Rum

Doug's Mom, all the way from Ohio and the first one sampling the 'Honey Boo Boo' appetizer.

The first one to try the 'Honey Boo Boo' shot.

Git er Done!

Doug Dorr setting up the menu for the night, the 'Honey Boo Boo' appetizer and shot!

More of Doug's kin folk...

Proper attire...

The real deal here, the Tiki Mafia!

Big Ed,and Chris knows how to party you'all!

What's a Honey Boo Boo'? Things are looking a little funny...

Keep them coming you'all...

Moonshine anyone?

Finally some takers!

Another 'Honey Boo Boo' shot?

What's in that drink anyway?

How you'all doing?

Thank you for the fun, you'all come back now ya hear?

So Many great pics......I love seeing all the things I missed out on at Tiki Oasis. Of course I had my own adventures, but there is always something you didn't see.

Here are my 3 photo blogs about Tiki Oasis 2013

The Worst Things About Tiki Oasis

The Worst Things about Tiki Oasis (Don't let the Title Fool You) Part 1
http://pineapplemantiki.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-worst-things-about-tiki-oasis-dont.html

The Worst Things about Tiki Oasis (Don't let the Title Fool You) Part 2
http://pineapplemantiki.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-worst-things-about-tiki-oasis-dont_25.html

The Worst Things about Tiki Oasis (Don't let the Title Fool You) Part 3
http://pineapplemantiki.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-worst-things-about-tiki-oasis-dont_2163.html

B

We are finally home and recovering still from the 2013 Tiki Oasis! The kids go back to school tomorrow and we go back to our day jobs – it all went by too fast! Here is the one photo our family from the weekend – a little bit of a flub but it was a rare chance getting us all together! I have included below the thank you that was also printed in our program plus a few additions!

++++++++++++++++++++

WOW the Tiki Oasis weekend went by faster than greased lightnin’!!

Good gosh, we are much obliged to sooooo many fine folk for makin’ Tiki Oasis such a doggone jumpin’ event! We want to say thank ya kindly to all of our sponsors for helping to make Tiki Oasis 13 possible, and hopin’ ya’ll will come on back next year! We picked a right smart o’ beans for pardners, especially Mount Gay Black Barrel Rum for kickin’ it all off at our Opening Night Par-tee! We’d be in a fine kettle o’ fish without our boy-howdy pardner Aaron from Tidbit with his website design & program design & the overall keepin’ us in line design. Thanks a’ plenty to Christi Crowe of FLAG Marketing, the yodelin’ country-girl, and her big yeller dog Shermie...she might be sweet-lookin’ but the little lady can corral up a herd o’ sponsors and vendors like they’s cattle in tornado season! Sending sweet sugar to the multi-talented Lee Joseph...master e-blaster, press wrangler, public relations man and dang...he plays a mean bass gee-tar! Our cutie Claudia Garcia for burlesque and go go roundup. Martin Cate, Matt Rowley, Clint Lanier, Derek Hembree and Kelly Patterson for schoolin’ the masses and sharin’ their expertise at our Cocktail Symposiums. Robert Gonzales from Zacapa Rum for tastings straight outta the barrel! Hats off to King Kukulele for Singin’ and a Strummin’ all weekend long! Our Co-Emcees: El Vez and Big Sandy. Deadhead Rum, Galliano, Nudie Mobiles and Devils Darlings for revving up the car show with their cool lookin’ cars! Pinup Girl Clothing for struttin’ their stuff at the Tiki Oasis poolside fashion show. Our Media Sponsor Imbibe Magazine. We’ve got a big ol’ pile of gratitude for Our Staff: GM Jim Giddings, Ikabod and Kit Kat for roundin’ up 150 volunteers, Mateo the Tiki Oasis Executive Manager, Cammo Likkor Locker, Jaye and Joe Symposiums Managers, David Egan Stage Management, Mister Lanious for Stage Assisting, Bill Graff Car Show Coordinator, Casey and Michelle Enders Vendor Manager, Reesenik, Heath, MP and Cobain for decor. Then thar’s Belle, Thomas and Megan at Registration, SoundWizard Bob, Patrick on AV, Shiela Starr Tiki Tot Room, Jen Tiki and Eric Musick on social media, Gene McDonald for merchandise. Can’t leave out Woohoo Wahine and Soccer Tiki Room Party Organizers, Dr. Shocker Special Events, Malcolm on Security, Jason Weckerly for Kick Ass Graphic Design all weekend long, Charlie Moore and Scott Harrison, Sassy Monique French our Ms Moneypenny, Albertine, Mitch and Jerry on Photography, The Pulse media our video team and Lost in Paradise Chris Bonomo. A hoot and a’ holler o’ thanks to our entertainment, all the live bands, dj’s, burlesque dancers, burlesque emcees Mo B. Dick and Patrick the Bank Robber ‘em smarty educators throughout the weekend including The Ambassador of Americana himself Mr. Charles Phoenix. Luxuria Music for keepin’ it a rollin’ in the Sushi bar on Saturday! The Walt Disney Museum for keepin’ the kiddies entertained in the Tiki Tot Playroom. Our 100+ vendors, the Beauty Bungalow, the over 20 Artists in the Tiki Oasis 2013 Art Show, and in Artist Alley. All the contestants and finalists in the Miss Tiki Oasis Contest and special smooches to our 2013 Miss Tiki Oasis Tana the Tattooed Lady. All You Sippers, Shoppers, Room Crawlers, Cat Callers and Purdy Hula Girls (You Know Who You Are)! Of course the Tiki Oasis Weekender only works due to our outstandin’ relations with the Crowne Plaza Staff: Steve, Joel, Kirk, Jim, Ashley. And Larry, Tom and Grant over yonder at the Bai Hai. We couldn’t get ‘er done without y’all! THANK YOU for letting us host Tiki Oasis at your fine establishments for all these years! Above all we want to thank our sons Vander and Dashiell who don’t seem to care too much that ma and pa drank too much moonshine and spent all year plannin’ this Hootenanny!

Baby Doe & Otto von Stroheim
Tiki Oasis Producers

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 26, 2013 2:49 PM

On 2013-08-23 22:55, GROG wrote:
Alright. Now which one of you bastards gave GROG a cold? GROG better not have to postpone heart surgery because one of you bastards got GROG sick!

Well, now it's official. GROG' open heart surgery has been postponed from this Wednesday Aug. 28 to September 11. Heart surgeon wants to make sure GROG 100% over the cold before surgery.

CA

is this the first or second time the Crown charged to remove sweat stain from ceiling?? third?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies