Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 2013 - HulaBilly - Official thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies

T

On 2013-04-30 11:04, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2013-04-30 08:49, SandraDee wrote:
Seems like Facebook is the place where all the Tiki Oasis discussion is mostly happening.

If you are not on FB just so you know symposium tickets went on sale yesterday.

Get them before they sell out!

So let's just not bother with "Tiki Central" anymore
it's off to Facebook everybody.......

Hardcore TC'r only post here.
Now..you know what to do!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BV

Facebook, Tiki Central, smoke signals, etc. DO everything and check everything for the latest news. How hard is it really? Your already gonna get in trouble at work for being on the internet. What's five more views. :drink:

SpyRateRadio is pleased to announce the Tiki Oasis pre-release mix part 2! We put some hulabilly/rockabilly/spaghetti western music into this here mixaroo! ENJOY!
http://www.mix.dj/mixes/4749422/spyrateradioTiki_Oasis_13_Pre-release_Part_2

Booked and ticketed. Counting down from 106.

I want to muster the energy to go for a jog at Tiki Oasis, but I always want to give myself that weekend off just a little more...

Kevin

C
Cammo posted on Sun, May 5, 2013 4:25 PM

Love the theme, love the PINUP CONTEST (!!!!) love the lineup I've heard about so far, and any party that you can make a costume for by simply cutting away your clothing is a GREAT PARTY.

Oh, and by the way I nominate Ernest T. Bass as Tiki Oasis President for 2013.
He already looks a lot like Otto, right?

Holy crap, could somebody carve an Ernest TIKI?!?!?!

B

sun night: hotel sold out
damn them

O
Otto posted on Mon, May 6, 2013 6:39 PM

On 2013-05-05 21:35, belinda wrote:
damn them

Sunday and Thursday are not sold out

Fri and Sat are tho.

We have a deal w Comfort Inn and Suites. They are the next closest Hotel. I will post booking info tomorrow night but if you are anxious you can call them and talk to Lisa directly
619-881-6202

O
Otto posted on Mon, May 6, 2013 6:42 PM

damn them

Fri and Sat are tho.

We have a deal w Comfort Inn and Suites. They are the next closest Hotel. I will post booking info tomorrow night but if you are anxious you can call them and talk to Lisa directly
619-881-6202

O
Otto posted on Mon, May 6, 2013 6:44 PM

damn them

Fri and Sat are tho.

619-881-6202

R

Time for a new venue????

R

Time for a new venue????

T

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-05-07 07:38 ]

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, May 8, 2013 6:41 PM

A bump for Tiki Oasis.

Has anyone ever been to this place ??

In a neighborhood full of cheesy tourist bars, this Kuhio Ave hole-in-the-wall is a real Hulabilly anomaly...

It's probably the only "Shit-Kicker" bar where you can order a Mai Tai without getting your ass whooped. I remember stumbling into this place several years ago but I only drank beer.

So are Urban Cowboys "Tiki" ??

They are in Hawaii !! :)

Looks like Travolta is in Texas, according to his Lone Star.

My friend Bill just moved to Nashville. I told him to check it out and let me know how it is. Funny!

Before you go two-steppin' at Nashville Waikiki you can go shopping at Aloha Cowboy in Makawao.

http://www.alohacowboy.net

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, May 8, 2013 7:24 PM

On 2013-05-08 19:12, lunavideogames wrote:
Looks like Travolta is in Texas, according to his Lone Star.

My friend Bill just moved to Nashville. I told him to check it out and let me know how it is. Funny!

Nashville Waikiki isn't "Waikiki" in Nashville, it's "Nashville" in Waikiki.

This will be a great year for closet cowboys. :)

There is a Chicago based called band Tiki Cowboys. They post their shows on TC.
http://www.tikicowboys.com

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 9, 2013 5:51 AM

When in Maui visit Piiholo Ranch, check out their horsemanship photos:
http://piiholo.com/history.html

or Ulupalakua Ranch -
http://www.ulupalakuaranch.com/

It's next to Tadeschi Vinyards, who make an amazing all-natural pineapple wine:
http://www.mauiwine.com/pineapple/

We actually visited these on our last trip there, the wine was killa, brah.

Yeehaw!!! Git along little pineapples!!!!

B

ooops what i meant it was sun night may 5 when i checked the availability.
oh well. next year.
nothing compares to having your own room at the host hotel...
but motel 6 aint too bad..... very very close & EMPTY pool last year....

On 2013-05-06 18:44, Otto wrote:

damn them

Fri and Sat are tho.

619-881-6202

O
Otto posted on Fri, May 10, 2013 11:18 PM

Book into our partner hotels and get good eats!
We just posted the info for our partner hotels on our website:
http://www.tikioasis.com/2013/hotel_booking/the_kings_inn/
http://www.tikioasis.com/2013/hotel_booking/comfort_inn_&_suites/

King's Inn $104-$119
Comfort Inn & Suites $145

King's Inn offers tons of free parking, shuttle to Crowne Plaza, and 10% off at The Waffle Spot diner for hotel guests from the "Tiki Oasis" group

Comfort Inn is less than a 10 minute walk from Crowne Plaza and includes a free full breakfast buffet

By contrast, you can stay at the Motel 6 and get absolutely no food service and pay $125 / night.

I have stayed at Kings Inn a few times and can recommend it
it is a cool Mid Century Motor Lodge and much nicer then the Motel 6
at the same price.

BV

I have returned to the Kings Inn every year. Now I know the manager and also the front desk gal. They have been there for years. It's nice to return to a place that remembers you and greets you with a big smile and asks what's the theme for your room party this year! Oh and the waffles ROCK!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, May 12, 2013 7:40 AM

The King's Inn waffles are known all over town, they use a malted flour and you can get them full size or "mini" which go great with a cup o' joe first thing:

They also have a GREAT mexican food restaurant called the Amigo Spot that serves some of the best tamales in town, super sizzling high-rise fajitas, and happy hour specials. The food comes with little mexican flags on it. You arrive at the Amigo Spot from outside across a drawbridge.

It's a mid-60's motel maintained perfectly. I find it bizarre that people coming to Tiki Oasis complain that the King's Inn is an "old place" with "strange headboards" on the beds but they'll "stay there anyway." ?!?!?!?!?

They dress up someone in a Waffle King costume on weekends who walks around waving at his subjects.

The heck with the St. Louis Arch, THIS should be a national treasure.

I know I have high standards when it comes to food & I am not trying to start anything
with Cammo, but none of the food in the "Hotel Circle" area is good, some is just OK
(we are talking on par with Dennys)

your best bet is to head to "Old Town" (just 1.5 miles away) for good eats.

J

Albie's Beef Inn (on Hotel Circle) is not just good, it's Mid-Century / Rat Pack / Old-School / Lounge Culture AWESOME !!

So there. :evil:

J

Also Adam's Steak & Eggs right next door !!

C

John-O's right (as always) - Albies has steaks done to order, a pianist playing requests and...

like I said about King's -

Malted. Flour. WAFFLES. Mini and XXX.

C

OK, Albie's Beef Inn is good, Adam's (at least the last time I ate there they could not
make good scrambled eggs, how hard is it, not hard I say!)

Cammo is there an " Original Pancake House " in the area?, because that's a good breakfast place in my book
I eat at the one near Fallbrook.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-05-13 16:44 ]

J

Enough of this food talk. :evil: Save it for Breakfast Oasis 2014 !!

In the meantime here's an interesting Hillbilly Pop Culture factoid...

What fictional hillbillies share almost the exact same time line as Mid-century Tiki (and pre-Tiki) style ??

Li'l Abner !!

This daily comic series debuted in 1934, the same year Donn Beach opened his Beachcomber Cafe in Hollywood.

The strip was written by Al Capp and continued to be published in newspapers for an astonishing 43 years, ending in 1977. The previous year we saw the opening of Trader Vic's Atlanta, the Bahooka in Rosemead, and the Chef Shangri-La in Chicago. I think it's safe to say those were the last establishments of the original Tiki period.

So for every day you could imbibe in a Zombie cocktail, you could enjoy the daily exploits of Li'l Abner and the wacky denizens of Dogpatch. I never really paid attention to the strip during its original run, but I have discovered its satirical loopiness in reprint collections.

I understand the characters even traveled to tropical islands. I wonder if they encountered any Tikis there ?? In over 15,000 published adventures, I would have liked to think so.

And I'm looking forward to one of the T.O. room parties serving up this iconic concoction this July...

EDIT - And here's your mixer...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-05-13 16:40 ]

Interesting post, Grog. And this has nothing to do with it, but I though it was worth mentioning.

Just want to remind everybody that "Hulabilly is an American music style derived from the blending of ROCKABILLY and Haole Hawaiian music."

I feel like the enthusiasm for this theme is heavy on the HILL-billy side of things. Don't get me wrong, I love hillbilly. It co-exists and pre-dates rockabilly... Just wanted to make sure people realize that ROCKABILLY is the big theme driver for this year's Tiki Oasis.

Don't make me take your Top shelf, well crafted, positively wonderful vintage cocktail
away from you John-O (Hey that's tasty!), you know that Hulabilly & Hillbilly are not the same thing!

Anyone who says different will be getting a visit from poltergeist Elvis (Polter-Elvis? Elvis-Geist?)
and he shall be a rock-in & sway-in in anger!

Look Spike posted at almost the same time, same message of fact vs fiction
so git back in yer storm cellars, blasted Hillbillies!
Your inbreeding is showing.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-05-13 16:51 ]

T

On 2013-05-13 16:41, Luckydesigns wrote:
Interesting post, Grog. And this has nothing to do with it, but I though it was worth mentioning.

Just want to remind everybody that "Hulabilly is an American music style derived from the blending of ROCKABILLY and Haole Hawaiian music."

I feel like the enthusiasm for this theme is heavy on the HILL-billy side of things. Don't get me wrong, I love hillbilly. It co-exists and pre-dates rockabilly... Just wanted to make sure people realize that ROCKABILLY is the big theme driver for this year's Tiki Oasis.

Thanks Spike for getting this out there, as my initial reception was Hulabilly is not the same as Hillbilly, yet that is where a majority of posts are going with the latter theme. Know your themes!

Now you know what to do...

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-05-13 17:27 ]

Preach it brothers, Preach it! Like Jimmy says, "Everybody Bop-A-Hula!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGp6Gzg_jRc

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2013-05-13 17:39 ]

BV
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.