Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

How to make a killer Zombie

Pages: 1 17 replies

T

Hey all,

I thought you might like this video of Val from the now defunct PKNY making a Zombie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tefCsmin7ec

A

Not a bad video but with the 1934 Zombie controversy at not using LH151 is never far away!

My question is:

Does anyone find the clovey edge overwhelming when using Taylors falernum in the 1934 Zombie?

I have homemade falernum before but would prefer to have a long life version around. I find Taylors is fine in other drinks.

Does anyone recommend another 'shop brought' falernum that they think really works in Zombies?

K

Well, with falernum I always side with BG Reynolds. I think its fantastic. Of course, I have to life by the shelf life of it, which is a few months if I add an ounce of vodka to it and shake well before every use.

I do find it rather off-putting when i see that giant bottle of Taylors Falernum. I only purchase it if I'm making a giant batch of drinks or similar mix.

I put the BG falernum in the freezer and it has lasted a very long time.

I use homemade falernum and just don't add as much syrup as recipes say to when I make it. I keep the abv high enough that shelf life isn't an issue. I do the same with homemade pimento dram. It's easy enough to compensate for the missing syrup in the drink with simple if I need to.

S

On 2014-01-26 19:00, poutineki wrote:
I use homemade falernum and just don't add as much syrup as recipes say to when I make it. I keep the abv high enough that shelf life isn't an issue. I do the same with homemade pimento dram. It's easy enough to compensate for the missing syrup in the drink with simple if I need to.

The sugar is very important to it lasting. It is the sugar content that prevents mold from forming. The alcohol may help, but it is not going to make it last longer. This is exactly why all these syrups are syrups, otherwise they might be tinctures.

Do not skimp on the sugar. It is a mold inhibitor. Even if you store it in the fridge. Yes, keeping it below a certain temp helps, but, why take one of your weapons out of play?

K

On 2014-01-26 16:57, TikiTacky wrote:
I put the BG falernum in the freezer and it has lasted a very long time.

So you have to thaw it out every time you wanna use it?

EDIT: on a side note, the videos for a mai tai and zombie by American Bartending School are absolutely infuriating. I had to stop myself from logging in and commenting, they're that awful.

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2014-01-27 07:47 ]

Good info, Swanky! This continues to point me towards the direction others have taken by leaving 1:1 simple syrup behind in favor of using only 1.5:1 or 2:1.

S

On 2014-01-27 07:46, AceExplorer wrote:
Good info, Swanky! This continues to point me towards the direction others have taken by leaving 1:1 simple syrup behind in favor of using only 1.5:1 or 2:1.

I don't know that more is exactly better, but can't hurt. There is a certain sugar-ness that is needed to prevent mold growth and 50/50 syrup mixed with your alcohol infusion 50/50 will get you there. I would refrain from going less though.

You'll find this info on sites that talk about preserves and other types of canning storage. Preserves sometimes get mold on the glass inside and you can remove it and eat the preserves. Likewise you will get mold on the surface of your syrups, but you can't use it. This is a good reason to put your syrups in clear bottles. You can easily see if you have a mold growth and toss it. Heating the bottle before you use it again will kill what was growing in it before.

The issue you run into going for more sugar in your syrup is precipitation. You get sugar crystals in the bottom of your bottle. I always put a few drops of lime juice in the mix when I am boiling them together. I never get precipitation, but maybe I am lucky. The citris is a catalyst and speeds the process and I think helps keep it stable over time.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2014-01-27 13:09 ]

I keep seeing posts extolling PKNY. If it was so terrific, why did it close? Nothing mean meant by this, just very curious.

T

It is my understanding they lost their lease when the building changed hands. The drinks were top notch, I sorely miss the place...

On 2014-01-27 15:50, GentleHangman wrote:
I keep seeing posts extolling PKNY. If it was so terrific, why did it close? Nothing mean meant by this, just very curious.

Sadly never made it to NYC to check them out before they closed, but owner Richard Boccato and his crew were great fun and made good drinks at Hukilau in 2012. I know his plan was to relocate and open a new Tiki bar more that was a more authentic recreation of a mid-century Riki establishment, but I have not heard if they have made any progress toward that goal.

D

My Taylors Velvet Falernum gets moldy pretty quick, even if I vacuum vin it, it doesn't have the abv% to stay whole

What is the shelf life of the BG stuff, I stay away from the Falernum drinks unless I plan to make a lot otherwise it is $15 bucks for 1 drink (at which price point someone else can make my cocktail)

On 2014-01-27 16:39, tripower wrote:
It is my understanding they lost their lease when the building changed hands. The drinks were top notch, I sorely miss the place...

mmmhmh

S

On 2014-01-30 19:25, Dapuma1 wrote:
My Taylors Velvet Falernum gets moldy pretty quick, even if I vacuum vin it, it doesn't have the abv% to stay whole

What is the shelf life of the BG stuff, I stay away from the Falernum drinks unless I plan to make a lot otherwise it is $15 bucks for 1 drink (at which price point someone else can make my cocktail)

I have not had mine get mold. I keep it on the shelf, no fridge. I wouldn't think it was the air making for the mold growth. Removing air makes it stay fresher longer.

I had issues with honey syrup growing mold too quickly until I kept it in the fridge. But I also use it up pretty fast.

I have seen mold in unopened bottles of Taylors Velvet on a liquor store shelf. Whispy black nasty mold. I have learned to scrutinize the bottles before purchasing.

K

On 2014-01-30 19:25, Dapuma1 wrote:
What is the shelf life of the BG stuff,

I've added 1 oz vodka in my bottle, shook it well, and kept it in the fridge and 2 months later I still used it with zero mold. After that I tossed it because I figured it just wasn't as pungent and couldn't tell if it was or wasn't bad, heh.

I've made the stuff from scratch, added 2oz Everclear grain alcohol to each of the two bottles, then stored half in my fridge and the other half in my freezer. The stuff in the fridge keeps very well, I've never had problems despite some long periods where I don't use the stuff. The stuff in the freezer never gets totally frozen due to the high content of solids and the alcohol. Even if I had to use the stuff straight from the freezer, it would take little effort to pull the bottle and thaw it a bit to ensure that it flows nicely. I have never seen this stuff separate in the bottle when stored in the freezer, but it's a good practice to ensure it thaws a bit and mix it.

Pages: 1 17 replies