Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Space/Alien/Robot Tiki Art Swap

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies

I love it all!!!

I volunteered to take a day off from work and watch a sick grandson. Partially because he's a cool little 2 year old dude. And partially because I knew he would take a nap and I would get a chance to work on my Alien Kane :wink:

I knew it would be hard to glaze behind the Kane after he was attached. So I used some underglaze like engobe and painted it first while the clay was still wet. We'll see how that works out. The indentation is for the glow stick

Kane cut out and attached

Wanted a spaceship and a planet on the back but couldn't decide which planet. Thought about using Uranus but then there would be the inevitable Star Trek jokes (How is the spaceship Enterprise similar to toilet paper? They both circle Uranus looking for Klingons :lol: ) So I went with Saturn instead.

C
cy posted on Tue, May 13, 2014 4:02 PM

Great start TU, Zero your painting is fantastic. Sandra your work is amazing! Space Moai is turning out cool TikiAno and I'm lovin' the art and colors on the Marquesan Chronicals TikiDaye. Anthonymaye that is outrageous! I really like to see the layering and how you fine tuned your piece Woodtiki, and MadDog that is too cool! I fell behind on my own work but will get going again after Caliente. A very good swap going on here!

Z

goodies!

T
TU posted on Tue, May 13, 2014 5:58 PM

WoW!

Everything is looking great! Sorry I haven't been on the last couple days. My daughter just graduated high school a year early and is going to college next year for free, so we have been doing some celebrating!!

I am starting a new piece. The first one seems to have been abducted.

I got a pm from Foamy asking if it was too late to join. I said "Of course not!" so I think we are up to 16 now.

I will post a pic of my new painting as soon as it is something besides black. For now, if you want to see what it looks like, close your eyes real tight. There you go.

Keep on keepin on.
tu

T
TU posted on Wed, May 14, 2014 7:27 PM

Here is the new one. Still can't find the first one. I thought it might be some kind of conspiracy that my painting disappeared, so this one is different. Not sure how it will turn out, because I didn't sketch, just started painting. It is really blurry, but that just adds to the space effect I think.

tu

Looking a bit more Kane-ish and yet Alien too

T

Tu, alien abductions just... happen.

Mike, looks great. Zero, I can only imagine how cool the stuff you're packing into that canvas will be! :)

I got back into the studio today and started trimming and adding detail. Originally I had planned to have antennae sticking straight up out of the sides of the mug, but decided to keep them slicked back along the back of the Space Moai's head. This is how it ended up:

W

Mad Dog I love the back of the mug, the little space ship fin! Of course, it's all crazy awesome also. Cool stuff all around from everyone!

T
TU posted on Thu, May 15, 2014 8:19 PM

Here is tonight's progress. The things in the middle are going to be ufos some day.

I love the mugs guys and wish I had that much talent!

We are off to a tremendous start!!

Everyone's work is outa sight...

tu

On 2014-05-15 20:19, TU wrote:
I love the mugs guys and wish I had that much talent!

:lol: And I wish I had the talent of you painting folks :lol:
Too bad we can't get together and give each other lessons!

I had to snap a glow stick to see how the effect was gonna look, I like it :D

T
TU posted on Fri, May 16, 2014 4:45 AM

Mad Dog, you are a creative genius! Now all we need is a recipe for a neon green drink to go in it!

I've been enjoying all the updates and terrific alien art pieces. My clay design didn't work out. When I finished it Dan and Tiki Hula announced that I'd made a snail needing to be named Slow Poke. So I'm going to start over and this year I'll do a painting.
Once I start I'll post my updates.

This has turned into a really fun swap. I like seeing all the outer space ideas. MadDogMike and Tiki Ano your ceramics look great.

I'll have to work hard to come up with a painting to meet the standards shown on this thread.

Good job everyone. Wendy

T

Wendy, can't wait to see your painting! There's (still) lots of time until the end of July... :)

Tu, I agree with Mike, I can paint a wall, but that's about it.

Mike, the glow stick looks awesome. Can't wait to see a pic with a little bit of light so we can see the mug after it's glazed WITH the glowing from the stick. Love this idea.

Ordered me some of this, I'm sure I can find a use for it :wink:

I'm so in awe of all the great art for this swap. Also scared and not of Aliens. Here's what I've done so far.

I saw this perfect photo on Professor G's facebook page. The colors just screamed USE ME!

I started with one color on my canvas.

Next I added the second.

I used a brush to semi blend them.

To add texture to the planets surface I used my finger to tap the paint.

All done.

Now it was time to work on the sky.

Oops, I forgot to turn it over.

One step at a time, Wendy

Love that sky technique Wendy, very cool!

EDIT - Whoops, that's the planet colors. I flipped it for you.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2014-05-20 11:35 ]

Lookin sweet guys

Z

YAY!

Survived the fire, now to start laying on some glaze...

Ready for one of at least two more trips to the kiln

Wonder what color that gray glaze on the Kane will turn into :wink:

T

Wendy, I love where this is going....

Mike, I also love your option/ input as to where Wendy is going... :) :)

Mike, your piece looks awesome! I didn't notice the planetary object on the non-Kane side- holy cow! Dig it.

T

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-05-21 07:41 ]

MadDogMike you always go the extra mile. That's so cool.
Tiki Ano you and Mike are the clay artists this time and that makes you two very special.

I'll try to keep up with all the paint artists who are doing such a great job.

This is always such a fun event. Wendy

PS thanks MDM for flipping it,

I chose an antique gold glaze for Alien Kane. Hard to see in the photo but it is a metallic glaze, looks like gold plated. This is Western's Aztec Gold and not a gold overglaze (which contains actual gold), not quite as shiny but gold overglaze is $840/ounce and Aztec gold is less than a buck an ounce :lol: Aztec gold fires best at Cone 05 which is a bit of an unusual temp for glaze firing, most lowfire glazes fire at Cone 06

The green that you see is clear glaze covering the chartruese underglaze. I fired the gold first so it will be easy to remove the clear that spilled over trying to glaze all the nooks and crannies behind the Kane

Sweet

BT

That's a sweet mug MDM, but I wouldn't recommend that green paint as a base for a drink.

Quick little acrylic on bristol for the swap box

"THE PNG FROM URANUS"

It and the " Take Me To Your Tiki Bar"
MAhalo

Sweet Anthony! I have to go to your thread and check out more pics of your "cell art" piece.

My mug survived it's final firing and is finished too. Will see if I can post a "glamour shot" this weekend :)

T
TU posted on Sun, May 25, 2014 6:47 AM

Nice Anthony!
Can't wait to see the mug Mike

Here is where I'm at...

Looks great TU!

I am DONE! And not a moment too soon, 13 days 'til the wedding :D

The dots on the black background are glow-in-the-dark paint.

Was looking for a signature drink to serve in Alien Kane. Something green, rum based, and somewhat tropical. I found the Green Eyes, even the name was appropriate

1.5 oz Midori melon liqueur
2 oz rum
1 oz lime juice
1 oz cream of coconut
3 oz pineapple juice
(It was a yellow green color so I added just a splash of Blue Curacao to pump up the green)

Awesome guys

First I'll post my inspiration photos

A space ship??????

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-05-25 17:13 ]

Alright, what the hell.....I'd love to get in on this. Haven't posted much up here in a while, and been holding out on doing any drawing for a while....especially after finishing off a big Commission a few weeks ago, but that itch to create is really starting to get to me. This should be fun to do.

The inspiration :)
The marking on the Goof hat reminded me of a space ship

Lookin' good Jon!

T
TU posted on Tue, May 27, 2014 4:47 PM

I like the inspiration Hang 10! The carving is coming along nicely!

Don't forget everyone...Just 2 more months until the deadline

Thanx guys
Lil more

It's only 104 out today
Cooler than Tiki Caliente was on Saturday not to long ago
:)

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-05-28 20:41 ]

T

Mike, that's awesome, hope you made some non-space tiki champagne flutes to toast from at your wedding! :wink:

Jon, great concept- way to have the Goof shoot for the stars.

Anthony & Tu, both of your pieces (Anthony, ALL of your pieces, that is) look killer.

Thanx Ano

More

I like it Jon! So does anyone have a theory as to what that is supposed to be on the Goof's hat? A grasshopper in a samurai helmet?

I said "a space ship"

T
TU posted on Thu, May 29, 2014 8:55 AM

Nice carving Jon!

Thanx TU

Mike- now can u see it, it's there, look at the space ship

C
cy posted on Thu, May 29, 2014 10:30 AM

Awesome H10! MDM your mug is fantastic, anthonymaye your PNG FROM URANUS is very cool as well as TUs painting.

T

Jon, lookin' goooood.

I think it might be the Goof's transcendental image of himself, of what he would/ could be...... of what we all could be.

Or at least that's what the Goof told me (after a few too many mai tais).

Thanx Ano

Put me down for the swap. I've got something in mind and it will be done by the deadline.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2014-05-29 22:20 ]

Welcome to the Swap MaukaHale!

That is DEFINITELY a space ship Jon, don't know where I came up with that grasshopper in a samurai helmet? :roll:

(sorry, no PhotoShop at work to combine those 2 images. Maybe you can take care of that me PhotoShop Master :lol: )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies