Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 427 replies

Cy my man
Wow
Somebody had a blast of energy
Way kool
Another great piece from Frog Island
Two enchanted thumbs up

Jon

Cy you should show this to Disney. They should have these for sale in the gift shop. WOW that's unique. Wendy

I sanded my swap piece.

Dan blew off the dust.

I put it in the kiln to bisque fire.

It finished firing and cooling.

Got out the wash tub.

Scrubbed it well.

Next comes the glazing! Wendy

Wendy- that's going to be awesome

Time for a nose job

R

CY - that is amazingly good. Great design.

Wendy-Lookin great as always

Hang10-great progress, love the way it's looking so far

Too bad we don't have a place to show all this swap work...Everyone is doing such great work

WOW!!! So much activity! I have been way too busy this week but one more project is out of the way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2thuEclIC6c (Jenna and Jeff are my kids. Jenna wrote the script, they are both so talented :D )

Josh - Awesome spinning activity, finished project looks so cool! Have fun moving :/
Zero - Whip it! Whip it real good!
Jon - That slit drum is lookin' great
RVICTOR - I'm hoping I get a chance to drink from the chalice
Cy - Love those layers - bitchin!!!
Wendy - You are always so industrious! Yours looks cool, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do for glaze.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2015-06-27 12:13 ]

This project has turned out to be more engineering than art. I mentioned before that I wanted to do a painting on black velvet using black light UV paint. For this to work there needs to be a black light source. I looked for the smallest affordable light I could find and its 18 inches long so that determined the frame size and the size of the art work.

The light will be attached to the top with a deflector panel covering the front.

Instead of stretching the felt I glued it to a canvas board.

Here's the sketch of the painting.

Like everything else I had no idea in the beginning how to do this so I needed to do some testing. The body of the painting will actual be oil pastels with UV paint over the pastels. The first attempt was on paper that's for acrylic paint but the pastels didn't adhear that well.

Here it is with the UV paint.

My next test was on a sample of the black velvet fabric.

And here it is with UV paint.

I only have 4 weeks to work on this so its going to be tight. I don't have time the last week of July.

I sent a personal message to TU to see what he's up to. He told me he had to drop out of the swap because he had to take a second job this summer. Has someone else stepped up for leadership. I would do it but I'm not available the last week.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2015-06-28 19:17 ]

Oh Oh Oh this swap is just too much fun. You guys just rock. Thank you all for the fun comments on my piece. Oh Yeah! Wendy

RVictor- :)
MadMike- :)

Mauka-

That's going to be sweet

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2015-06-28 07:39 ]

MaukaHale, that is very impressive!

Hope you guys don't mind if I get a bit philosophical here. I have trouble with the phrase "inspired by". When I do an "inspired by" I don't want to copy the original but I do want to remain true to it. To me that means similar form, colors, textures, etc. Maybe a different media, different size, and a different use; a 7 foot wooden slit drum turned into a 9 inch ceramic bottle. That's where I have run into a bit of a problem with this project. The original has a great size presence and texture but a bit monotone in terms of color. I don't want to glaze mine rainbow tie-dye, but I don't want it to appear drab. What are your thoughts? This is NOT a critique of anyone's work. I am relatively new to art, just want to learn something here :)

Mike,
If Sven was here he'd say
paint it brown, give it the black[glaze] treatment
& call it wonderful.
It would look like an old wooden drum.

C
cy posted on Sun, Jun 28, 2015 3:10 PM

My first idea was to do a black velvet Mauka but I chickened out as it is difficult, time consuming and frustrating. Bravo for the impressive effort!! We are all free styling within a certain frame work MDM, and I believe you would tell everyone not to over-think and do something that draws from your own personality.

I confess, I feel like I'm cheating making a scale recreation (to the best of my abilities) of a figure without putting much inspiration into it, unlike some of the other creations which are at least artistic reinterpretations if not completely original. But anyway...

A couple of thoughts on colors, which may or may not be practical:

• Inspired by MaukaHale, are there glazes which fluoresce under black light?

• Most of the Tiki Room denizens share a common palette of muted colors (rust, mustard, teal, ...). Using those colors will stay "in theme" while going beyond brown/gray.

• The gods in the garden also used to have more color - at least the ones in Disneyland are more drab than they used to be. Vintage photos may be more inspirational (they were for me when painting my Ngendei).

Thanks guys, good advice. I really like this Enchanted Tiki Room theme (and would have chosen it if TU didn't) but I think someone had mentioned earlier that there are difficulties in using existing artwork as a theme. Some of the themes are more wide open such cannibals, headhunters, sea creatures, birds, etc. But this theme is a bit more restricted. I hate to admit that I am wrong but I may have learned something here :wink:

[ Edited by: maddogmike 2015-06-29 07:52 ]

Mike,

If your not happy with just recreating the Tam Tam then maybe you could take some inspiration from the:

75 InspEARations
at California Adventure

http://www.yesterland.com/mickey75.html

75 people painted on the surface of Mickey Mouse what pleased them and not what Mickey looked like in the cartoons.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2015-06-29 06:26 ]

R

Posting some glazing progress photos...

As a refresher, The SHAG (tm) photo I am using was:

The chalice after antiquing/wipe off...

In process during glazing...The mauve color is really a DC purple, so it should darken during firing.

Its funny how many mistakes you pick up upon closer inspection. Have to get the glazing done by Wednesday so I can bring it into the workshop for firing.

MDM - I think I'm going to have to use a kiln god on it.

maddogmike the copy write law says it's ok to copy someones work as long as it's for your enjoyment or your families enjoyment and that you are not profiting by it. We are one big Tiki Central Ohana doing a swap so anything is OK. I've tried to make my piece as if it were done by Disney and sold at the park. I feel no shame!

RVICTOR magnificent. hang10tiki and the rest of you artists, CHEERS!

==================================

Glazed and ready to fire.

Wendy

Thanks for the input MH and Wendy :) I'm not worried about copyright laws, I think Disney probably has bigger fish to fry. But actually, I will profit because I will exchange my piece for priceless art from one of our esteemed TC Swap artist :drink:

I guess I'm just sore at my choice of inspiration. I picked the only one without any splash of color except a little turquoise at the bridge of the nose (and some snot running from his nostrils :lol: )

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2015-06-29 11:52 ]

Great progress RVICTOR and Wendy! I made a test tile yesterday so I can do a little experimentation.

maddogmike grooooooooooooooooose! I'd not noticed. Wendy

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just got caught up on the thread. Everyones stuff is looking great.

As far as the "inspired by" "artist restrictions" "colors" talk, I guess I don't think about it because I'm not an artist. I can't draw. I copy images onto boards and carve them.
While I may take images that aren't normally together and combine them or create a new setting for them, I get them as close as I can in style and color. I do this because I love them for what they are..sentimental images I've seen since my childhood.

When I sit in the tiki room at disney I say "How cool would it be to have that".... of course I can't have it, so I attempt to make it as close as I can, or recreate the image to fit in a certain space or be more practical.

The Mad Dog Mike slit drum bottle is a perfect example of my thinking, I'll never be able to have a real one, so a small replica one to sit on the shelf is the next best thing.

Once again, I'm enjoying everyone's pieces.

Erich

RVic- wow, looks great....
Wendy wow, looks great....
MadMike- u be Krazy
If you want you can use the colors on my inspiration piece
And I'll keep mine grey :)

R

Goes in for firing tonight...may the kiln gods look favorably on this Shagged out chalice.

M

RVICTOR - your work just keeps on getting better and better. This should look great when its done!

RVic- wow. Stunning colors

Lil more nose work
Way to hot out
:(

RVictor & Jon, way cool!

Speaking of way cool, my kiln is now the opposite of way cool. I turned it on low this morning before going to work. When I got home I went to turn it to high but it was GLOWING HOT from the peephole and it should have only been about 600 degrees in there. Turns out I accidentally set it on high morning and left it there for 10+ hours! It was 2400 degrees in there (cone 10) instead of the 1900 (cone 04) it should have been. Overfired by 13 cones! I guess I will find out in the morning if my test tile is a melted glob at the bottom of the kiln :lol: At least now I know I could do high fire in my electric kiln.

hang10tiki not too many nose jobs or he'll look like poor Michael Jackson.

MadDogMike I'm horrified. When Gecko'z got his new kiln he melted two entire kiln loads of art. He didn't know that 4 is 10 times hotter than 04. I don't think your bottle stood a chance of surviving. Maybe an outline will still exist and you can take a photo and frame it for the swap. Fingers crossed that it's ok.

Wendy

T

Is it too late to get in on this? I have an idea for a piece and think this is great!

MadDog- :)
Wendy- :)

Tikitonyd- jump in....always great to have people jump in...
As long as you have a completed piece done by 31 July (the cut off date per page 1)
:)

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2015-07-02 20:27 ]

R

Hang10-carve fast brother....I want a shot at that tiki.

RVic- as u request
Wow took an hour to slow carve one line around mouth
The 100 degree heat didn't help
Hence the five beers in the pool afterwards
:)

Habanero and beer? Hmmm... bet it would make a hellacious beer bread :wink:

Well I opened my kiln and sure enough, it was all melted to the bottom of the kiln

It ruined the kiln shelf, my test tile, and a fish mosaic I was working on but hopefully didn't harm the kiln :D

EDIT- Welcome tikitonyd! Just make sure to have your piece done and a finished pic posted by the end of the Swap (July 31)

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2015-07-03 12:56 ]

T

Wow, I haven't been on TC in a long long time (work/ kid/ more work/ family) but took a bit and got caught up here. I'm still out for this Swap, but impressed by all of the work everyone's done- including Jon's 5 beers in the pool- everyone should know, these are fairly heavy duty SD IPAs- Jon, I'd recommend the Grapefruit Sculpin if you can get it out there, a little easier going than the Habanero. The Indra Kunindra (a curry beer, for those that don't know) is one of my faves from Ballast Point). Jon, very cool carving, sad I won't be winning your piece this time around! :) :)

Cy, love the screenprinting, killer idea and I love how you thought outside the box. I'd actually love to see some of your original carvings screenprinted onto a similar piece of art (without the "Enchanted Tiki Room" back, of course!) Wow. Cool stuff.

RVictor, great execution and you definitely have more glazing patience than I will ever have.

Mike, kiln wash should save your kiln shelf, no? That's handy stuff.

Wendy, gorgeous as ever! Dan's not so bad looking too. :wink:

I'll try to peek in in a bit. I like following along even though I'm not participating in this here Swap. I have to make it back to the clay studio to see about finishing up some pendants I'm working on for the SD Ohana for T.O.

Hey Dave, glad to see you are still around even if you can't participate this time around. Yes, kiln wash might have saved it if I had any on that shelf LOL It was a broken shelf so it was no big loss.

David- still time to jump in...lol

S

This is the start of my project.

Looks interesting Janelle!

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 5, 2015 2:50 PM

A beauty silhouette for a start SewT!

S

Mike: It's kind of hard to imagine what I am going for.
Cy: Can you tell who's silhouette it is?

Here are 3 pictures of who I am making.
The little guy on top.

Next step

Very cool! Wall hanging? Pillow?

S

A wall hanging.

T

This is my first art swap, so be gentle. This is a sneak peek at my piece. The final product will include an orignal sketch drawing and the digital version framed together. It's a little vague, but I don't wanna reveal all of the little touches in the drawing just yet. There are layers that I have specifically left out of this version.

Thoughts? This type of thing okay for an art swap?

T

Here's another update... I threw in some quick placeholders to give you the idea of the layout.

S

Your swap piece looks awesome.

Very cool tikitonyd! Lots of ETR elements

T

My first swap... I just don't wanna be "that dude". Ha! Some great work and I want mine to be up to par!

SewTiki- lookin good lil lady :)
TikiTonyD- looks great...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 427 replies