Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hot buttered rum

Pages: 1 42 replies

K

HELP!!

I'm in need of a really good recipe for Hot Buttered Rum. No ingredients so obscure that I won't find in my local liquor store or grocery store.

Mahalo

:drink:

Take a look at this site:

http://www.2020site.org/drinks/index.html

K

Ok, I bought some Hot Buttered Rum batter and some dark Myers rum and can report the results are only so-so. I read one recipe that called for adding apple cider. Opinions?

T

Making it from scratch yeilds much tastier results. I don't have a recipe with me at work but I'll post one later if I can remember.

Here's the Trader Vic's Hot Buttered Rum Batter recipe. Good stuff in the wintertime!

1/4 pound butter, softened
1 pound brown sugar (2.5 cups firmly packed)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch salt

Beat sugar and butter together until thoroughly creamed and fluffy; beat in nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Store in the fridge until needed.

A friend from way back had a recipe that was far better than any other I tried, and the main ingredient was crushed butterscotch candies, you know, those round yellow hard candies in the golden wrappers. These are dissolved in water on the stove at a low temperature. A bit of ground ginger and cinnamon can be added here. It was all done to taste, as I recall. I suppose you could use a bottled syrup instead (if not butterscotch syrup, then maybe hazelnut).

After you have your watery syrup, you throw the rum in there, pour it into mugs, and drop a little dollop of butter on the top. It sounds too simple to be good, but it's very tasty and almost impossible to mess up! Unless you're, well, really drunk.

T

While the batter is fine for a large amount or if you'll be making it often through the season, sometimes you want to make just a drink or two.

From the Esquire drink book (1956):
Combine 1.5 oz gold rum, 3/4 teaspoon brown sugar, 1 stick cinnamon, 1 clove, 1 pat butter in hot whiskey glass (or tiki mug). Fill with boiling water, sprinkle with allspice.

From the Playboy's Bar book (1971):
Put 2 cloves, 2 whole allspice, 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch long), and 1 teaspoon sugar into a mug (tiki or skull) with a tablespoon or 2 of boiling water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add 1.5 oz. hot light rum and 0.5 oz. hot dark Jamaican rum, 2 oz. boiling water, and 1 teaspoon sweet butter. Stir until butter dissolves. Add more sugar if desired.

Mmmmmm... this thread is making me wish it wasn't disgustingly hot in my apartment right now. Sure sounds yummy. I wouldn't have thought to use crushed butterscotch candies, but it sounds interesting... you used to be able to buy butterscotch chips (just like chocolate chips) for baking cookies, I bet they'd be much easier to deal with, but who knows how it would taste -- probably over-processed. Hmmm... maybe there should be a TC hot-drink recipe contest for the holidays?

T

Speaking of butterscotch, Uncle Billy's Hilo Bay Hotel on Hawai'i have a specialty drink made with butterscotch syrup, rum, and other stuff. I can't remember all that was in it but is tasted a bit too sweet to me. It was served in a bamboo ceramic mug.

K

Okay, here's my slightly altered recipe which has been yeilding some tasty results. I got this from Sauceguides Cocktails vol. 2

1 oz. Myers dark rum
1/2 oz. sugar syrup
3 oz. apple juice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. butter
top w/ boiling water
add lemon wedge and cinnamon stick

The only thing I'm not too sure about is the amount of butter. The recipe calls for 1 "knob" of butter but I have no idea what a "knob" is.

I'll be looking for some butterscotch syrup. That sounds REALLY good.

T

*On 2003-09-29 16:25, Juno wrote:*The recipe calls for 1 "knob" of butter but I have no idea what a "knob" is.

It's hard to resist responding to this one but I'll try my darndest.

K

It's hard to resist responding to this one but I'll try my darndest.

Ha ha..I knew that didn't come out exactly right. The book with the recipe was published in the U.K. so when they refer to a "knob of butter" it's hard to understand how that corresponds to the American "knob" since all "knobs" are not created equally...or so I'm told.

Here's two more you might want to try. WARNING: go easy or you might wake up looking at a hospital ceiling!

From The Gentleman's Companion by Charles H. Baker(1939)

"HAROLD PETER'S HOT BUTTERED RUM
Anyone who has sailed with Pete-whether around the world on PILGRIM, to EUROPE on the schooner LLOYD BERRY, or south to Florida from Cape Cod on some ship like our own MARMION, as we did, remembers his magnificent tattooed masterpieces, haunch, paunch, back and chest, and his Hot Buttered Rums at the end of a cold, wet, Fall chance. Our first introduction to them was running from Woods Hole to New York, one late October day, with the wind whipping up a dry nor'easter, and our new main trys'l pushing us along close to nine knots

Into each average sized glass put a teaspoon of brown sugar, a twist of lemon peel, a teaspoon lemon juice, four to six whole cloves, and a spoon. Take a "futt" dish and heat water on the galley stove-and in case we don't remember Pete's definition of that time-honoured bit of New England addenda, a futt dish is the flat tin handless sort of pan we see on top of bullet heating stoves down east, to keep the air humid. Actually any pot does as well.

To each glass donate two ponies of Barbados, or any stout rum - two ounces full - adding boiling water to taste, stir, and with the spoon which has kept the glass from cracking, slide in one teaspoon of butter on top. Drink as butter becomes wholly melted...When getting really fancy for Harbour Furl Company, Pete may float a spoon of rum on top, and set aflame, but not for anyone less than a full Commodore!

WORDS to the LIQUID WISE No. IX, on the EXCELLENCE of ALLSPICE in HOT RUM DRINKS
To vary the usual clove and nutmeg add half a teaspoon of allspice to the next hot toddy. The results is quite aromatically happy."

From The King's Bread-2nd Rising: cooking at Niagara 1726-1815 (1989):

HOT BUTTERED RUM
2 Gallons Cider
1 Pint Maple Syrup
1/3 lbs. Butter
2 Quarts Dark Rum

Mix cider and syrup. Bring to boil. Add butter and remove from the fire. Add rum and serve. DO NOT ALLOW TO REBOIL. Makes about 50 6 ounce servings.

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-10-03 15:38 ]

Here are some more. I'm getting thirsty!

OLD MR. BOSTON DE LUXE OFFICIAL BARTENDER'S GUIDE(1935):

HOT BUTTERED RUM
Put a lump of Sugar into Hot Whiskey Glass and fill with two-thirds Boiling water. Add square of Butter and 2 oz. Old Mr. Boston Imported Rum. Stir and grate Nutmeg on top.

The BARTENDER'S BOOK (1951):

HOT BUTTERED RUM
1 1/2 oz. Jamaica rum
1 teaspoon sugar
1 egg
dash of brandy
pinch of allspice

Separate yolk and white of egg and beat yolk. Beat white until fairly still, them add sugar, and beat to a stiff froth. Combine yolk and white and add allspice. Put the mixture into a scalded Tom and Jerry mug. Add rum, then fill with boiling water. Stir well. Top with the brandy.

RED JAY BARTENDER'S GUIDE (ca. 1934):

HOT RUM PUNCH
2lumps sugar, in hot water to melt
One-half teaspoon butter
1 wineglass Jamaica rum

Place in hot water bar glass; add nutmeg, fill with boiling water and serve.

MIXTURES DE LUXE (ca. 1930's)

1. HOT GROG

One teaspoon of Sugar, Juice of one-half lemon. Dissolve with a little hot Water, then add one glass of Brandy, one glass of Rum, two Cloves, one small piece of Cinnamon. Fill up balance with hot Water, put a slice on Lemon into it. Stir up well, grate nutmeg on top and serve.

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-10-03 16:29 ]

I made a couple of Hot Buttered Rums for my Dad and I the other night, very tasty!

I used some demerara brown sugar, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, with a pat of butter and a shot of rum. Boil some water and away you go!

Another drink for the Huki Lounge menu!

K

Say, you all be careful dumping boiling water into glasses, and especially into tiki mugs. Those often aren't meant for hot drinks and will crack and maybe even dump boiling water on your feet.

Please take care and use a sturdy mug.

Cheers!

Ahu

K

The melted butterscotch candy recipe intrigues me, but seems more complicated than it has to be. Why not just use butterscotch schnapps? Say maybe...1/4 ounce of Buttershots to two ounces of rum, and then all the usual ingredients.

I've got some in the bar, perhaps I'll whip one up this weekend and give a report. If they're really good, perhaps I'll whip up four or five of 'em and to hell with the report.

:wink:

Ahu

[ Edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-11-12 17:09 ]

T

Now that the weather is cool again, does anybody have any updates to share?

J

For what it's worth, I think the premade Trader Vic's batter makes a great drink. I also recently mixed up the "batter" from scratch from the TV book of food and drink (the recipe is above in this thread). I used all organic ingredients for that. It came out different from the packaged product, more buttery and not quite as sweet. I like both. Though the Trader calls for using light PR rum, I personally have taken to mixing thse with Rhum St. James. If I'm feeling spendy I use Hors D'Age. Now that's a hot buttered rum!
-Sam

BM

..just can't 'warm up' to the HOT BUTTERED drink concept of any kind...for some reason, I always equate a rum drink with cold & refreshing or sweet /sour/fruity. Have TRIED the TRADER VICS batter and that MAY have been the thing that threw me OFF them FOREVER. It just was like HOT LIQUOR with a gross taste---kinda like when they used to push HOT DR. PEPPER back in the 70s...to my tastes, its an ABOMINATION that just wasn't meant to BE...just an opinion though

C

I was watching Rachel Ray on food TV recently and they were in some ski bar in the mountains showing how they make hot buttered rum, and it looked really good.

Rachael Ray: Hot Buttered Rum

Bam! here is one from Emeril Lagasse

Another Food TV Hot buttered rum recipie

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2006-12-07 04:21 ]

I made up a batch of batter last year:

1 pound brown sugar
1 pound butter
1 pound powdered sugar
1 half gallon vanilla ice cream
cinnamon and/or nutmeg to taste

Basically you melt all that stuff together then you can freeze it into smaller batches. When it freezes it is still scoopable, so you don't need to thaw it out.

When you want a hot buttered rum, you add two tablespoons of the batter to and ounce or so of rum and add hot water to fill the coffee cup.

This is by far the finest richest hot buttered rum recipe I have tried.

[ Edited by: Tiki Flange 2006-12-07 08:23 ]

All a bunch of very intriguing buttered rum recipes! I'm not sure which one I should try. That buddy of mine with the crushed butterscotch candies...I think that may have been because the candies were inexpensive and one didn't need to purchase another liquor to make the drink, just the rum. But I recall the intensity of flavor was unusual.

I gave some to someone who basically doesn't drink ever, just a little bit to taste, and his response was..."Gimme some more of that!! Give it here."

Hey Tiki Flange... I was hunting all over for that recipe!! It is the most decadent and thickest hot buttered rum recipe I have ever made. And it's even good by the scoop like cookie dough from the freezer (but your teeth will ring)! I had non-drinkers at my Christmas party drinking those by the gallon. We hosted the dessert / coffee portion of our neighborhood progressive Holiday dinner, and people just wouldn't leave. :P

Thanks for posting that recipe!

• Myke

Does anyone have the recipe for the Mai Kai's h.b.r.?

That was honestly the best I've ever had (although I did just came over from the Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures! thread and could be waxing nastalgic at this moment - but I doubt it...).

I just bought a bunch of fresh spices, and it looks like it's time to work on some new hbr recipes! Great ideas on this thread, a lot of ideas I never saw before.

Anyone got a line on the history of this drink? What are its origins? How far and to where can it be traced back? Just seems as though there's got to be an interesting story behind it, and I'd love to know it.

-Weird Unc

M

we miss you wierduncletiki........

On 2006-12-07 20:17, Monkeyman wrote:
we miss you wierduncletiki........

Likewise. I hope to make it down your way sometime soon. Tiki Oasis for sure!

-Weird Unc

P

It's a chilly, relaxed day in Nebraska and I decided to make myself a hot buttered rum. Turning to page 152 in Beachbum Berry Remixed, I found two recipes, but, I swear there's only rum in one of them. I ended up making the Pub and Prow version anyway, but I don't see how much rum is supposed to go in the Volcano House version. I assume an ounce?

H

On 2011-12-10 14:50, Potato. wrote:
It's a chilly, relaxed day in Nebraska and I decided to make myself a hot buttered rum. Turning to page 152 in Beachbum Berry Remixed, I found two recipes, but, I swear there's only rum in one of them. I ended up making the Pub and Prow version anyway, but I don't see how much rum is supposed to go in the Volcano House version. I assume an ounce?

The Volcano House Hot Buttered Rum recipe in The Grog Log has the rum portion listed. One and a half oz Myers' Rum. Other than that the recipes are identical.

I haven't tried the Volcano House one yet but I sure do like the Pub and Prow version. Super easy to make too.

I have been having these the past few times I went to Don the Beachcomber.
mmmmmmmm

Sometimes I will ask them to sub. Zaya or Zacappa instead of the Lahina rum they Normally use. actually I think the dark thickness of Lahina is better.
where the 2 Z rums as good as they are thin it out a bit too much.

I am not a big fan of Myers rum strait.
but I may have to try it in a HBR at home and see how it goes.
but to me the Myers rum is harsh, even though its a dark rum.

ymmv
Jeff(btd)

D

I posted my recipe on ProfessorCocktail.com:

Hot Buttered Rum

I'd never made one before this year. What was I waiting for?

Mele Kalikimaka! to everyone on Tiki Central.

Here's The Atomic Grog's take on The Mai-Kai's version of this holiday classic ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/25/mai-kai-cocktail-review-hot-buttered-rum-is-a-heart-warming-winter-classic/

D

Does anyone have a recipe that is similar to the one at Smuggler's Cove

I cannot find my Sippin Safari book either, I only have the Remix handy and neither one of those two recipe's appeal to me at all

I want to make the batter on Saturday so the flavors can gel overnight, but I do not want a huge batch

I can halve this one fairly easily - but it doesn't have allspice in it, so i think it will be missing a bit of something...

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Hot-Buttered-Rum-Recipe

I got this hot buttered rum recipe from Delish.com back in Nov/Dec 2011 in a very long and nicely photo-laden article/feature titled "95 Chic Christmas Cocktails." I have made their version of hot buttered rum, and I really liked it. I am not any sort of expert on hot buttered rum, so this was my first effort. It turned out great and I liked it. Also, it does include allspice which I think may be considered by many to be an important traditional ingredient to the drink. The batter keeps very well in the freezer.

Delish.com did not repeat this cocktail feature in 2012 or anything which even came close to it. Fortunately I copied the pages from their web site and saved ALL the recipes in a single MS Word document "just in case it disappeared." If you send me a private note I'll email my Word document or a PDF (or both) to you. The Word document has a clickable table of contents for convenience.

Hot Buttered Rum
In a preheated coffee mug combine 2 heaping tbs batter with 1 1/2 oz. Mount Gay Eclipse Rum. Top with boiling water and stir well to mix. Serve with a spoon.

Hint: It is best to make the batter in advance so the spices have an opportunity to mingle. Be sure to remove batter from refrigerator at least 6 hours prior to serving to allow it to soften.

Batter:
1 lb light brown sugar
1/2 lb unsalted butter (softened)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl beat together softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and spices until well combined. Refrigerate in an airtight reusable container for up to a month, or place in your freezer until ready to use.

D

On 2012-12-27 09:59, AceExplorer wrote:
I got this hot buttered rum recipe from Delish.com back in Nov/Dec 2011 in a very long and nicely photo-laden article/feature titled "95 Chic Christmas Cocktails." I have made their version of hot buttered rum, and I really liked it. I am not any sort of expert on hot buttered rum, so this was my first effort. It turned out great and I liked it. Also, it does include allspice which I think may be considered by many to be an important traditional ingredient to the drink. The batter keeps very well in the freezer.

Delish.com did not repeat this cocktail feature in 2012 or anything which even came close to it. Fortunately I copied the pages from their web site and saved ALL the recipes in a single MS Word document "just in case it disappeared." If you send me a private note I'll email my Word document or a PDF (or both) to you. The Word document has a clickable table of contents for convenience.

Hot Buttered Rum
In a preheated coffee mug combine 2 heaping tbs batter with 1 1/2 oz. Mount Gay Eclipse Rum. Top with boiling water and stir well to mix. Serve with a spoon.

Hint: It is best to make the batter in advance so the spices have an opportunity to mingle. Be sure to remove batter from refrigerator at least 6 hours prior to serving to allow it to soften.

Batter:
1 lb light brown sugar
1/2 lb unsalted butter (softened)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl beat together softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and spices until well combined. Refrigerate in an airtight reusable container for up to a month, or place in your freezer until ready to use.

It seems like all recipes either have clove or allspice but not both, it is very interesting

Also muscavado light brown sugar would be interesting...seems like it is going to be a lot of trial and error, also figuring out which rum will go the best with it...LH 151 heh, perhaps a bit strong

On 2012-12-31 19:27, Dapuma1 wrote:

On 2012-12-27 09:59, AceExplorer wrote:
I got this hot buttered rum recipe from Delish.com back in Nov/Dec 2011...

Also muscavado light brown sugar would be interesting...seems like it is going to be a lot of trial and error, also figuring out which rum will go the best with it...LH 151 heh, perhaps a bit strong

Another example of what makes cocktail mixology so much fun for us... Trying new things as experiments, tasting, sharing with friends, relaxing... What a great interest we all share!

T

Hey guys,

I though you might enjoy this hot buttered rum video I made.

Thanks for watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TFyEcKMpM4

J

For anyone interested, I've blogged my Hot Buttered Rum recipe over on Rumspiration.com.

It's a mashup of a couple different recipes I've seen with a lot of tweaks based on my personal preferences. I like it spicy, and I like it creamy.

Cheers!

http://www.rumspiration.com/2016/12/19/my-favorite-cold-weather-beverage/

That recipe looks excellent, Jen. Close to mine but more spice - the addition of ginger and black pepper is particularly intriguing. I was going to be making a batch of batter on Christmas Eve anyway so I think I just might try yours.

J

On 2016-12-20 15:53, HopeChest wrote:
I was going to be making a batch of batter on Christmas Eve anyway so I think I just might try yours.

Awesome! Let me know how it goes.

Hot ruttered bum? Interesting.

Sobriety is a terrible disease.

Pages: 1 42 replies