Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Spamboo Diddley Bow & Cocoamp pg 123 2-9-2010

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies

The other goodies:

Here is a crazy pic that came into being because of my inability to hear and remember a certain TC members username when we first met at the SF crawl. ( I say loud music, others say rum. )

Here are a few of the names I refered to him as during the crawl:

Tikihat
Tikihead
shrunken head
and drunken head

Although still not the correct name, we all thought it would make for a funny image.
So without further babblin, I give you the Drunken head:

Anybody want to guess the name of the TC member whos name I couldnt seem to get right?

And.......
here is a lamp that I recently finished:

Bamboo, coconut , rope and some very cool looking pieces of sea glass

Lights out.

See more of my stuff on TC here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6861&forum=7

More coming as time permits.

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio 2009-05-26 13:41 ]

[ Edited by: chongolio 2010-02-09 22:07 ]

What the heck,
First person Who can tell me the correct user name of that aformentioned TC member gets the artwork.
Cheers,
Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-21 00:17 ]

O

Drunken Hat is my guess....
:drink:

B

damn! You beat me to it! :( If you're right...CONGRATS, that's a cool piece-o-art!

Correct! NIce work and record time, I guess that was to easy. Onatiki, Ifa you like, send me your info and I will get the art out to you.

Second chance deal for the rest of you. Whoever can spell the Drunken Hat's real first name backwards gets a copy.

Hey DH, are you o.k with that? If not...Uh-oh.

Onatiki you go chill out with your bad self, you are already a winner.

Chongolio

... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-21 00:25 ]

O

Finally, we were in the right place at the right time.
The artwork is awesome. We'll PM you with our mailing info.

"ttocs"

Did some quick digging around TC... found it with a picture...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=2253&forum=1&vpost=67459

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-04-21 00:31 ]

Ma goodness, you fellas are quick this Tuesday. Lakesurfer you got it. Send me your info and I will drop it the mail.
Thanx for playin along on Tiki Central Tuesday.
eek-eek
Chongolio

P.S. Any resemblance to any TC member is strictly coincidental...hiccup

... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-21 00:43 ]

KK

What about those glowing floats? Apparently you have cracked (no pun intended) the secret of lighting sealed glass; please share! Or are they lit from behind? Anyway they look great.

ACUTALLY..... the drunken head's REAL first name is dean. he goes by his middle name, which is scott.

hence, naed?

and daaaamn....you guys are quick! i thought i was bad about being on here all the time.

chongo...i LOVE your first lamp. i think i have a lamp obsessive compulsive disorder. tikitony's lamp is fairly lonely.... heehee.

would you consider making a light fixture tiki light....like to replace a dining room light fixture? any ideas for something like this? i hate our 1980's ugly hexagonal light unit, it needs to be put to rest.

[ Edited by: tikicleen 2009-05-07 12:20 ]

Excellent work as usual Randy.
I can't wait to come over some day to check out your studio.
Let's plan on the Jungle Trader, Tikicleen, Drunken Hat, Unga reunion.

Kava King, those floats came from good 'ol twowheel'ntiki. He has the skills with the drills. Check out this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=1872&forum=1&start=0

Tikicleen, I guess I should of checked my Drunken Hat facts a bit more carefully. So you can have a copy for setting the facts straight. I will bring to the JungleTrader's Tiki Art Shindig or mail it to ya. Which ever you prefer. I hope the D-Hat digs it.
Regarding lamps. I could be interested in trying my hand at making a ceiling lamp. Let me know what you have in mind.
Takes a look at some of these other lamps created by some of the TC crafters Al makes some great lamps.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=3003&forum=1&vpost=26815

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7482&forum=7

On 2004-04-21 11:29, Unga Bunga wrote:

Let's plan on the Jungle Trader, Tikicleen, Drunken Hat, Unga reunion.

I am not afraid! A Monterey Bay Micro Tiki Crawl why not? Anybody else want to come along?

Bunga you come out this weekend for Uke Fest West?

Chongolio

... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-22 08:55 ]

End of July for a North Beach Mini Crawl?
I'm in baby, I'm so in.

Chongo, Dude! that is sweeeeeeeeet!! I love it. i've got to have one. you can definatly count tikicleen and myself in on the north beach mini crawl/unga reunion. however jt why is it you picked the only weekend that we are in so-cal this year? what are you doing between now and july!? you don't have one free weekend between now and then? we dig all of the lamps too. thanks for the links. but we are looking for more of a carved tiki chandelier (as much of an oxymoron as that statment is). Chongo we can't wait to see you at minnies on the 22nd of may. unga if you want to come down that weekend to check out the festivities you got a place to crash. besides that would give you the opportunity to drink that rum you let us borrow for the 606 party! ydnar why you got to mess with a man's name!!! HEHHEHEHEH

That's really cool as usual, Chongo! That drunken head reminds me of someone I knew (now deceased).

http://www.samgambino.com

Hey Drunken Hat, glad you think its cool. After talkin' and laughin' about it with you on the bus, I had to draw it. Too funny. Good to hear from you again, lookin' forward to havin' some more good times at Minnie's.
As for our Micro Monterey Bay Crawl. Chongolia said she would drive us all around in her VW bus. It seats seven room for one more and dog. :lol:
What about sometime in June?

Suicide Sam, Thanks for lookin' and complimentin'. Always nice to hear kind words from an artists who keeps putting out top notch work.

The Drunken Head was not meant to look like anyone. Really, I was just trying to get a pickled shrunken monkey head look.

... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-22 09:46 ]

On 2004-04-22 09:40, Chongolio wrote:
Hey Drunken Hat, glad you think its cool. After talkin' and laughin' about it with you on the bus, I had to draw it. Too funny. Good to hear from you again, lookin' forward to havin' some more good times at Minnie's.
As for our Micro Monterey Bay Crawl. Chongolia said she would drive us all around in her VW bus. It seats seven room for one more and dog. :lol:
What about sometime in June?

Give me a heads up on the next Minnies quest.
Once we set a date for the mini crawl, I will arrange a visit for a Munktiki"s studio tour.

Okay, what about the weekend of June 12th for the Monterey/North Beach Crawl?

L

I would like to be included in some form of local mini crawl if you will allow me into your cool norcal tiki clique. Also jungle trader will you point me to where I can see your carvings?

I dig that shrunken head art. Very cool.

Hey Limp, sent you a pm. damn right you're included, and this ain't no clique, every member on TC is invited.

hmmm...now we need an itinerary. im down with june 12th though....how about everyone else? i know i will be celebrating....school ends on the 10th. hence, drinks will be a'flowin...
YAHOO!

Limptiki, c'mon and join the fun!

Bongofury, thanks for the art appreciation. Maybe next time I am in Ventura, we can get together with Tikitony, talk story and tip the tiki mug. Also, I have been known to bring gifts of art when invited to T.C home bars..hint hint.

June 12 sounds good to me too. Stops could include a brief tour of a few of the tikis I know of here in town and my humble studio/ tiki pad, plate lunch at the Aloha Island grill, shopping at Aloha Santa Cruz and drinks across the street at a small bamboo bar on the boardwalk.
We can then head towards Monterey for a tour of Munktiki's studio and his Mom's shop, dinner at Hula's and then a drunken brawl aand egg toss at Unga Bunga's bungalow. Sounds like a good time to me.

Chongolio

Hey Friends,
New mixed media art project and frame on page one! Give it a look here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8617&forum=7

Thanks for peekin'
Chongolio

T

Chongo we need to talk man! I want that mixed tiki media piece! That is cool, one of the most orginal things I have seen, MUGS PRINTS what will it take??

Chongo-
Love that piece. That color choice/combination is cool, and has a good vintage feel to it. As always, very cool work!

B

Damn where have I been. This is really great chogo. Love the Drunken shrunken Head. Plus the Mixed media is something new to us from you. Do some more, moremore

Mahalo for the feedback.
Tiki-Toa, ya flatter me! PM or email me. Perhaps we can work something out. However, right now I think it is looking pretty good hangin' on my wall.

Sam, thanks bro. I hope to shake your hand someday. Thanks for the brush and ink info. Good to have friends willin' to share the expertise.

Ben, Yeah the mixed media bag is fun, but take a little more time, head scratching and labor. But it is a good exercise for the creative process. I got another one in the works that is coming along.
Cheers to you all and keep up the creating.

Chongolio
Chongolio

T

PM sent

C

New illustration on the top of page one.

Hey Tiki-toa, check your email for stuff from the lost-Isle.

That's very fine work, Chongo. I was looking to see if you worked in your trademark blowfish anywhere- :)

T

Got the email man! Great profile! I love the picture of you and Chongolia. Hey any chance you have a pic of Sam's? I always wonder what a place looks like that makes it a persons place to go.And reading your recipe made me hungry boy I tell ya. By the way I love the business card! Great job.

C

Thanks guys!
Sam- The blowfish is inside, you really really have to squint to see it. A couple shots of your favorite go-go juice may help you see it. Oh and check your PM's.

Tiki-toa- Glad you liked the profile and pics. I look forward to seeing the book. Let me know if I can help you out with anything else.

O
Octane posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2004 9:40 AM

love the drunken/shrunken head guy. good job

more great stuff from a great artist. Love your website too. THanks for sharing with us! (and for revealing the location of your blow fish!)

C

Hey All,
Here are some shots of another recycled surfboard I saved from the landfill. This one is currently hangin' at the Aloha Island Grille in Santa Cruz. This one is called: "Surfer X at Mystery Spot"
Check it out:

The whole deal

Surfer X on the nose

God of the green room in the middle

The mystery Hale on the tail.

Thanks for eyeballin'
Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

edited to fix broken links

[ Edited by: Chongolio 2007-01-18 09:27 ]

That is so nice! Glad you posted the close up pics, cause this one does NOT NEED to be appreciated from across the room.

Excellent work, Chongolio!

A-A

T

Great stuff as always C-Man!! And you mean to tell me that people just throw out surfboards!?!?! Heathens! But man what a great way to keep them alive.

CHONGO!!!!

Love the painted surf board - you are one creative and talented man!

Through many troubles and tribulations I finally got my tiki crawl shirt (sf) - MAN that's nice!
you rock!
still got the smokin' m shirts?
Maybe I'll have you do my logo...

That is awesome. What type of paint do you use? and do you seal it with anything. I really like it .

Good stuff Randy! What kind of paint are you using on those boards? Looks real good!

F

Very cool! I love all the movement and the clean lines. Nice work.

Chongolio, bring that board out here to the Hooptylau please. I want it, if it's not already sold.

A simply smokin' board, Chongo. It makes me wanna surf, even though I never have. Great work as always!

B

Unbelivable new stuff Chong. Love the MaiKai Coctail and where's the menu for the Aloha Island Grille, Think I'll have one of those Coconut/Pinapple burgers.Ummmm...

C

Wowzers! Thanks for all the great feedback on the board. Personally, I am really charged on the way this one filled out in the last few weeks of workin' on it. I am also really stoked that da boyz at the Grille wanted to have it hang out at their place for awhile.

Aaron's Akua- Glad you dig it. Your props really go along way in keeping my creative urges from stagnatin'

Tiki-Toa- This board was thrashed when I got it. The fiberglass on the bottom was completely ripped off. There is really not much you can do with them when they get that beat up. You can fix em and ride em, but they never surf the same. The one I am working on now is in even worse shape. I am on my forth batch of resin and I am still fillin' holes and fixin dings on the thing.

Polynesiac- Thanks bro, I appreciate your kind words! Where and who did you pick up an SF Tiki Crawl shirt from? My feebling mind will not allow me to remember if I sold it to you and what the circumstances were. Shoot, I hope I am not responsible for them troubles. :-?

Rodeotiki and P-Pop- Big thankies to you to my brothers. I use acryllic paint on the boards, then add details and highlights using paint pens and colored sharpies. I then seal it with a krylon matte sealer. I am still experiment with different mediums, but I am really happy with the way the paint pens worked out. However, I still ran into a few problems with tips drying out and clogging.

Fink daddy- Mahaloz, Those clean lines are from the paint pens. I could never get the lines I wanted using a brush, so I decided to give something else a try that gave me more control over the lines,

Jungle Trader- Sorry Dude. this one was sold before I even got the board. I only get to keep it until the end of the year before it get hung in it's new home. It is going to a good friend so at least it is staying in the ohana. I do have another one in the works. But it is part of a double secret project I am working on. The theme is going to be a bit darker then my past recycled board projects. As I said earlier, this next one has been pretty abused so it is going to take me a while just to get the board ready for painting. Fortunately, I like the smell of resin. I am always watchin' for more boards to be saved from the trash heap. I will let you know when I come across another.

Sam- Cheers buddy, when you come out to CA, I will make it my personal mission to get you out in the water for some wave slidin'.

Bruddah Benz- Thanks for peekin' Funny you mention the menu because I have been working on the Grille's new website and just finished the menu pages a few days ago. Sorry no pineapple burgers, but I can tell you this, their Loco Mocos are ono! I am pretty sure those extra pounds I have put on are because the A.I.G is only a few short blocks away.

Thanks again everyone. You folks definately help keep the stoke alive! :D

Chongolio

... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-10-06 20:24 ]

C

Alright, here is one for all you tiki surf finks. I am calling this one:
TASTEE WAVE

I used acryllic and paint pens on a masonite panel. The original measures in at 10" x 8'' I will have prints of this painting available. If anybody is interested zap me an e-kablam.
Mahalo for giving it some eyeball time.
Chaka Brah,
Chongolio

... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-10-09 22:55 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies