Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Spamboo Diddley Bow & Cocoamp pg 123 2-9-2010

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies

Chongolio,

What's up man?
I haven't seen you in a while.
Nice work, I especially like the monkey holding the shrunken head.
Are you going to be attending the Aloha Grill party next month?
Keep in touch.

will

I have been pretty busy lately with all kinds of fun stuff. Here is the latest from The Lost-isle:

This is the latest art work I have whupped up. I was inspired by the The Brady Bunch Tiki thread. So here is the "Diddle-iddle-oo" white shirt and a surf hoodie design. Trying to capture the seventies surf style on this one.

Other new is my Podcast Coconut Wired and my blog Barefoot Bloggin' Check them out and get your eyes and ears filled with all kinds of Zazz. Also, I hope to get my website makeover completed this week.

Like I said, I have been a busy lil monkey and finding it harder and harder to keep up with all the AWESOME new art coming from the newbz and Ol School. I will keep doing my best to continue on promotin' y'all one by one on my blog and podcast.

Outz,
Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

[ Edited by: Chongolio 2007-01-18 09:41 ]

B

Nice , Chongo. We are happy for Any little old piece you throw our way. How does it feel to have to struggle to Keep up with demand for your art. I'm proud!!

Mahalo Benz, your exuberance, positive vibes and awesome carvings keep me inspired to keep creating and posting. One of these days I am going to finish the carving I have been chipping at for the last year. Always good to see your work and read your posts

Your buddy,
Chongolio

Here are a few of the things I finished up last week:

This one is done with spray paint, acrylic paint and paint pens with some rope and shells for decoration. I haven't got a name for this one. Any Suggestions?

Here is a carving that I was working on for the last two years. I finally finished sanding it and gave it splash of stain. The wood is Camphor and had a really spicy smell to it when I was carving it. Unfortunately, I think the face has more of a Native American Totem pole look than South seas look about it.

Here is a painting I did on the top of it at as a last minute decision after seeing the latest Pirates of the Carribean. Originally I was going to make a small table with this tiki but it was to low to the ground and a top would of hidden the tiki. So I tried something new and painted the top of it with acryllic paints and paint pens. Not tiki you say, to the devil with ya I say! Savvy Mate?

3/4 Veiw for your gawkin' pleasure.

I had another driftwood carving of a mask and another small painted tiki portrait with a neat little bamboo and rope frame but they were sold at the Tiki Invasion and I forgot to get a pic of them. Dang it!

Cheers!

Chongolio

Hey Chongo!
That little green guy is right on the money! That huge tiki is pretty rad! Two years? What patience! That pirate on top is classic! You are a true artist Chongolio!

Nice work braddah!
The camphor looks Samoan to me. Good work on top. Are you going to get glass for the top?
Keep on carvin'!

Chongolio, the top of that tiki could be a work of art in it's own right. Front & sides are not too shabby either!

Chogolio- Your fuckin cool man!!! I'd say that there is a tiki.
The painting on the top kicks it ass!!! And the painting of the Ku on Top of the painting on top of the tiki is nice, too. I really like the idea of the shells on the bamboo frame. Can I have it? hell it doesn't hurt to ask..
Later,
Spermy

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2006-08-11 22:11 ]

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2006-08-12 08:15 ]

what's up chongo-longo? Good to see your thread up at the tippity top. You gots some mad creations! I LOVE the shrunkin' head pirate. Very DAvey-Jones-ey (pirate dude, not monkey dude). YOu should throw that one on a t-shirt! I'd buy it!

I wished I could have gone to the invasion...It looked like fun!

Killer stuff, Chongo! I like the "diddle-iddle-oooohhh" designs too, and the shrunken head especially. It's great to see new stuff from you. Very cool!

WOW. dont know what i like best there all so good.

nice work

Looking great! I really like the carving. Uniqueness at its finest. Good to see you putting it out there again. It seems like it's been awhile.
Cheers.
Matt

Whew!! Thanks guys! I appreciate you taken the time to chime in. This summer has been a little nutty. Fun as heck, but nutty. Seeing all the killer art work posted by all the great TC artists and spending this summer watchin' my freinds four kids while helpin' them out with the arts and crafts has really helped to get me inspired. The kids and I did some large poster size paintings. I gave them some rough pencil outlines of mermaids, hula girls and tikis on wood panels, and they got busy with the paint. It was cool.

Little lost Tiki- Hey thanks for the comment. After two years of luggin' that log around in the final stages I just needed to jump on the gas and finish it. The aforementioned Groms were pretty happy when I brought over some of your surf Tiki print outs.

JT- Howzit braddah? I had not thought of glass. The ends of the log was never sanded flat and level so it's a little wobbly. It is also not very tall so I am going to leave it as is.

Aaron Akua- Whats up Aaron? Good to hear from you. Thanks for the comment.

Spermy- Sorry man, but that one has a price tag on the back of $40.00 clamolas. But YOU still rock and if you PM me your address I will send you a surprise mystery package. Great to see you and Whale Rider at Bongofurys. Rapa nui.

Polynesiac- Ahoy matey, You know that I know that you know that I know that you dig the pirate style tiki. The Invasion was fun but it was way better to catch up with each other at ITD. Thanks again for the Pendant

Sam- Hey Sam thanks! Always a pleasure to get your feedback. I know you are busy as always, hope your doing well buddy.

Tiki Duddy- I am stoked to hear you like the art. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Matt- Cool brother, nice to hear from you. It has been awhile. I have still been creatin' and keeping busy with all my burners goin' Just having a bit of trouble keeping up with everything. You know the story, we are all still waitin to see some more stuff from you too when you get a chance.

Catch all y'all later.

Chongolio

C

I just finished up a skateboard that was done as a comission for da boyz at the Aloha Island Grille. This was created using a new skate board deck, acryllic and colored pencils and paint pens. I am pretty happy with the way this turned out and have to thank Lil Lost Tiki for his tips and inspiration.

I also cranked out this little sketch using colored pencils and a ship's wheel frame I picked up at the flea market. The art for this one was dinky measuring in at 3".

I am stoked to say that this one will be adorning the Captain's quarters on Polynesiac's bulkhead.

Feel free to comment and talk amoungst yourselves.
Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

[ Edited by: Chongolio 2006-09-02 08:54 ]

SF

Fun stuff Randy, I like the skull pirate and the skate deck turned out awsome.
Keep up the great work.

C

Stoked to get your comment Swampfire. Thanks for Taking the time to reply. It'sbeen nice taking a break from the computer and get paint all over myself.

Chongolio

both are nice pieces chongo, thanks for posting them!

You Rawk Chongo!
Really glad you're picking up the art bug after all the hard work you've been doing for all of us! Glad those tips helped! The board looks AWESOME! If you're ever down in OC,gimme a shout and we can paint and play at my studio in Orange! Rad find with the Pirate steering wheel! Lucky Duck! Mahaloz for sharing some great new work!

Sweet Chongolio but I'd really appreciate it if you would give them to me instead!!! In all seriousness though (ok thats hard for me to do) but anyway that skateboard looks great!!! I really like the colors and the design. That stearing wheel you did for Polynesiac is a great idea too. I know he'll be pretty happy to have that. BTW whens the next par-tay I want hang out with you again cause you is one of my favorite trippers!!!

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Sep 2, 2006 2:49 PM

I really like the skateboard too, it's a pretty good medium for tiki art. I saw a nice one in the Cook Islands with little Tangaroas all over, I wish I'd bought it now!

I love the pirate stuff. You are on a roll lately. Keep it going.

MR

Sweet! The deck looks 3 dimensional. Love your stuff. Nice, nice work.

C

Thanks for the comments everyone!!! As always, i Ihave been pretty busy tryin' to pay the bills. It's nice to be able to break away from the grinder and get some art time in that is not done sitting in front of the 'puter. The friendly comments help to make it sweeter.

Glad you like the work Tikiwahine, thanks for taking a look.

Little Lost Tiki- What can say, it's been a real pleasure getting to chat with you and check out your eye popin' dazzlers. A trip to your studio would be awesome, but you may have a hard time getting me out of it.
s
Spermy- I dig your tenacity and enthusiasm but these one are gonzo. The next Par-tay is the Hooptylau and then Forbidden Island. It's your turn to come up north. So come up and collect your goodies or send me and address and I will send you a secret surprise.

Paipo- The tangaroa skate sounds pretty boss. I would of liked to have seen that. Was it paintedby a local Cook islander? Do they skate on the Cook Isands? Thanks for the comment.

Raffertiki-Good to hear from ya. I have been diggin the pirate/ nautical theme again and there is lots of good icons to pullout of Davy Jones Locker. I hope to get some more Pirate tiki pieces finished up when I get more art time in. Have not had a chance to comment in your thread, but I am liking the new Beachcomber story line!

Matt- Mahalos for spockin' The deck was really an experiment that went right. I picked up a few paint trick using jesso and textures. I then applied the deck instead of canvas and came out with a really cool looking under painting. Then just paint penned and colored penciled over the top. the highlights and shadows to get the subtle 3D look. The headress kind of got away from me but I was able to fudge over my mistakes. Still waiting to see some new Matt Reese stuff when you get the time.

Chongolio,

Where have you been?
It looks like you are still pumping out some killer art.
We will have to connect one of these days and talk shop.

Will

Hey Will! Good to read your post. I saw the new Tiki you did for the front of the grille. SWEEEET. I saw that thing a block away. I was gonna get a few shots of it but didn't remember until I was back on the road. Yeah, I have been kinda scarce lately. I spent most of my summer in San Jose and I started a new job in downtown Santa Cruz last week. Let hook up again soon maybe the grille on a Thursday night and catch some music.

Here is the artwork I just finished up for the Hooptlau 2006 CD cover.

Great design Chongo! The colors-the style-it all has an old Matchbook feelin to it-especially with the limited colors and the stippling.It's a delight to look at!

That western tiki design is outstanding! Thx for posting it.

ST

C

Hey Ken and Sneaky, Thanks for for the Comment on the Hooptylau art. Stoked to hear my attempt at an old matchbook cover kinda look and feel came across. It was a lot fun doing that one. What a weird concept Tiki Western or Spaghetti Polynesian. Think Ennio Morricone meets Martin Denny.

Here is some art I created for my Coconut Wired Podcast Blog:

This one is called "Ruins of the Ancient Temple on the Mysterious Mountain Top" It was done with an Acryllic wash, colored pencils, and sharpies on water color paper which was glued to a piece scrap sign material (sintra) and bordered with rope. Trying to put sharpies over acryllic basically sucked butt. The pen kept cloggin' up and I had to go over and over my lines to get them nice and dark. (Little Lost Tiki, this is the art I was tellin' you about) Anybody got a tip for getting nice fine black lines over acryllic? Paint pens and brushes are to thick and india ink always gets spilled or splatters.
Thanks for lookin'
Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

Hey Chongo!
Glad you're finally over the hump! Great picture! I wanna go there! For fine black lines over acrylic-use a thin brush with black acrylic paint or easier, use an ultrafinepoint paintpen-Decocolor has them-they're about the same price as the medium tipped ones! But please, test in the corner first and beware of it "Blooping" That's when a big blob of paint shoots down on your surface.This is caused by pumping the tip of the pen,Paint pens are merciless like that-especially the thin ones-but with a lil' practice...the reason sharpies don't make the cut is that you are writing on a plastic surface so you'll always get that (go over it once or twice)kinda thing.. Here's the secret with sharpies over acrylic-recently discovered ancient tiki secret.....Draw out your outlines and color in your shadows as best you can-wait about 15 minutes for it to get totally dry.....Seal with a brush on acrylic sealer-let dry-do it again-and again- until the black is solid! It's a patience thing! On paper-if you're using gouache or ink or watercolor-you'll get a different problem because the paintpen or sharpie willpick up the medium-so you gotta wipe the tip clean every few minutes....That brushey background is rad! The coloring is nice and mellow and the black really throws it into a graphic cool feel! Keep it up! I gotta go! I got a show tonight-but I heard the call of a helpless citizen with an art problem,sooooo.....up, up, and awaaaaay!
Talk story soon! rad piece!

Here are two more completed pieces that I just gave Grandma's Macrame treatment to.

This one is called "Tiki Tunga." I did one similar to this but sold it beforeI got a pic of it. So I went ahead and recreated it in blue and added a bamboo hanger with beads. Once again I am using acrylllic and paint pens and using rope for a border.

This one was a fun and interesting one to put together.

For "Ocean Glyphs" I got busy with jesso and unraveled twine to get a very interesting texture. and covered it all with acryllic paint. I used oil based paint pens over acryllic paint to get the shapes of the sea creature glyphs. Once again used rope for a border and bamboo and jute with Grandma Chongolio's macrame technique to make the hanger.

Both of these will be at the Forbidden Island Sale-a-bration and up for grabs.

Little Lost Tiki- Many thanks for helping me get the sharpie over acryllic fiasco straight. I am going to try a "Blooping" free attempt on another acryllic background tonight and work on a little something for my new little buddy Andy Landry.

As always, thanky thanky for the peeps and props.

Chongolio

P

i've used paint markers with some success also.

Damn man! You're on a roll.

cool stuff, chongolio! i'll be at f.i. looking to score some new art. see ya there!

And here we have a few more pieces I put together for the Forbidden Island Sale-a-bration.

Once again Grandma Chongolio's macrame technique was employed along with acryllics, oil paint pens, rope, twine, reed and a transparency techniques using packing tape and laser copies on a piece of sintra. Very involved but fun.

Next up we have "Tiki Fuzz" Another macrame jobbie. Same materials used as above except no transparencies used on this one.

"Octopus Garden" same deal...acryllic, paint pens and rope.

I had another piece called "Shark bite" but forgot to get a shot of it. You can kinda see it on hangin' on the fence in this shot taken by Jentiki at the Forbidden Island Sale-a-bration. Thanks for lookin'

Hey,Chongo, did you sell Octopus' Garden last weekend?

On 2006-09-26 19:42, Haole'akamai wrote:
Hey,Chongo, did you sell Octopus' Garden last weekend?

yeah, it sold! i tried to buy it 5 minutes after f.i. opened and it was sold already. i did score 2 pieces for me and one for travelingjones. great talking to you again, chongo, and mahaloz for the fantastic art.

Octopus' garden and Tiki Fuzz are my favorite, but they all pretty much kick butt! Man, i bet those people are getting this stuff for a song1 You're on fire,man! Glad to see that you're on your way to mastering the acrylic/paintpen gig! A lot of us art guys are better at drawing than painting,so this is a good way to start with color and use it first lighting and shadow and mood! You go Chongo!

P

I love the Octopus Garden too, keep posting stuff like that Chongo!

Tight workz Chongo...about time somebody raised eyebrows with bordering hangs of macrame! Grammie would be proud!!!

Keep it fun and diggin the details in color! :D

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

J

On 2006-09-26 19:27, Chongolio wrote:

I had another piece called "Shark bite" but forgot to get a shot of it. You can kinda see it on hangin' on the fence in this shot taken by Jentiki at the Forbidden Island Sale-a-bration. Thanks for lookin'

Hey Chongolio!
Thanks for the photo credit. Glad you could use it.
Jen

Haole'akamai- yes The Octopus Garden went pretty quick! Sad part is that it only got to spend only a breif moment on my walls as teh paint dried before it was loaded up. However, I am super stoked it went to a good home with one of the TC ohana. I don't want to say who because I am not sure if I would be breaking some kind of privacy etiquette.

Hey Bullet, would you PM and let me know what the other piece you picked out was. I know you got the Painting but can't remember what he other one was. I am trying to track down who I sold shark bite too. I would really like to get a better pic of it.

LLT- You know how I feel about all the help, support and positive vibes you have brought to TC. I am proud to call ya my friend.

Paipo- I got the bug and have decided that creatin' art is much more meaningful than sitting in front of the boob tube all night. I will keep postin' pics as stuff pops. Thanks so much for taking the time to look at it and comment on it.

Travelin' Jones- Grandma Chongolio is happy her knot twistin' skills have been passed on but she doesn't quite get the Tiki angle. She still prefers to do Macrame owls and plant hangers. I hope you like what Kingstyedye picked out for ya.

Jentiki- Thank you for taking the pics and helpin' to support the Tiki arts and artists in so many capacitities. Look forward to talkin' with you again one of these days at FI. Keep singin!!

Chongolio

Randy,

Sweet paintings!! Did you see the surf this morning? I think that it was one of the best days of the year so far. I am digging all the art that you have made lately. Let's get together soon.

Will

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2006 8:26 PM

Nice work man

T

Looks so much like little lost tiki I'm going to have to read the headlines first. Both of your guys work is amazing.

CHONGO!!!

I really dig your new underwater scenes and the dot painting. I'm glad I had the chance to see them all in person and i love my new ships wheel piece. THanks for a fun day, you're one cool cat!

"Looks so much like little lost tiki I'm going to have to read the headlines first."
Actually TeaKey, we look totally different! Place us side by side!
As you can see. I am a much less attractive gentleman than Randy! A true expert would be able to tell us apart! :D
You go Chongo!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2006-09-28 19:36 ]

J

Here is a better shot of "Shark Bite."

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies