Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Spamboo Diddley Bow & Cocoamp pg 123 2-9-2010

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies

C

Wow a lot of new ones! Very nice, can't wait to see, what's going to happen on these canvas! :)

you are on a roll. Are your backgrounds done with acrylic washes?? and how did you get the "salt effect" I know that putting salt on a watercolor wash gives that look, but Ive never done it with any other kind of paint

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3734/44e0b79e.jpg

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-10-17 10:26 ]

NOICE!
Doing these drawings is a total TWO-FER!
first-the excitement of mixing big washes of ink and playing with on the paper....
second-lining em up and figgering what is gonna go on what
or what this one suggests or inspires!
Some people don't understand that drawings are just as much as a medium as painting
if the piece is done with care and love....
There's an immediacy that sometimes gets lost in the ultra discipline/planning of a painting...
These latest ones are taking you down some real groovy scenic paths,Randy....
Please record your voyage regularly!

jellyfish masquerade... :lol:

Aloha Clarita thanks for checkin' it all out. It's good to hear from ya! Let see some of the latest candle endeavors I think they are ready to blow some lids!

Hey Dawn.... the purple and the avocado looking one are done with acrylic washes, the other greenie was done with colored ink. The way I got that "salt effect" was thinning out the paint with lots of water then brushing it onto the canvas. (I will usually start with a lighter color) I then take a heat gun to it to dry it quickly. Then add another color wash let it almost dry and then mist it just a bit with a water from a spray bottle. I take the heat gun to it again for a few seconds to dry the paint in areas that are not wet from the water. I wipe of the remaining water which reveals the underlying color. I do this with more colors until I have either made something nice to look at or a canvas full of mud. Here is the link to a tutorial I found that got me started on this technique.

Yo Kini-kini... If ya don't keep it interesting it becomes boring and kinda dull. I like the freedom that doing backgrounds like those gives me and not having to worry if I am gonna screw it up with a shaky line or inconsistent light source. Backgrounds for me are very stream of conscious and in the now whereas the drawing part becomes more introspective. Doing both takes me to my happy place but both are very different areas in my head. I have lost some really neat backgrounds after painting over them and thought that maybe I shouldn't of painted over them and left them alone. But for some reason I can't look at an abstract background with out seeing something that needs to come to life out of it. I am still working on trying to let the background show through and become more of the painting as opposed to being a side dish to the main entree. If that makes any sense.

So here are the updates on the latest and a finished one:

The purple one now has tentacles vying for ownership of a much coveted mug. I am gonna call this one "The Mug Collectors"

This is a detail shot that may help to visually explain what I meant by letting the background colors and effect show through. All acrylic.

This is the avocado background replete with a robot running amuck:

"Robots Don't Belong in the Jungle" more acrylic over the avocado background. I will probably seal it today and hit it the paint pens over the next week. I am thinking white loose outlines but we will see what happens when it happens.

And the finale....

A painting of the "Ukulele Jelly Jam" Another acrylic background and paint pen combo. This one was done on a 12" x 16" stretched canvas. And will be going up for sale on my Etsy page.

Mahalo for the peeks and engaging me in conversation.

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Barefoot Bloggin'

Here is the sketch I did of the Collectors that I am using as a study. This and of course of course Cysdalle's art!

And here is some progress on "Robots Don't Belong in the Jungle" Which is no way at all influenced by LLT.

I think I will add some rust to the bot and a little more dark green to the background. Not sure what will on the sides of this one. Maybe nuts and bolts or something mechanical like.

I will post more things after Clysdalle and LLT show me what is next. I am kidding these dudes are inspirational but I really do try to put my own spin on the subject matter and not totally hog da boys to heavily

Looking good (rip-off artist). I like the way you (ripped-off) did the backgrounds. I can hardly wait to see what you (rip-off) create next.
Joking brother. Looks great.
Matt

Lay off the peyote would ya'. Your stuff is wild. Missed ya' on the crawl.

Chongo....Nobody does it better.
makes me feel sad for the rest...
Nobody does it half as good as you...
Chongo,Baby..you're the best!
:lol:

C

Mahalo for the peekage
Matt- thanks for the love brah! I can get you hubcaps if you ever need them.

JT- Glad to hear you had a good time on the crawl. I missed not being a part of the merriment. No peyote cuz just pure hawaiian kine juice!

LLT- Thanks for the tune. How did you know I was a sucker for James Bond show tunes?

Alright, I been kind of slacking on the larger pieces but finished up this little hukilau bound buggah over the weekend:

"Clamvertible" Sumi ink and brush pens, a colored pencil for the highlights over Ink washes on watercolor paper.

Dig!

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Barefoot Bloggin'

a Clamvertible!?!?!?
Besides your mastery of sumi/brushpens/colored pencils/and paper
i believe your best art supply is that
crazy brain of yours!
you're hilarious Randy!

Glad to know the humor is appreciated Kinny. The other name I was contemplating was "Clam Bake Escape". These smaller pieces really are a lot of fun to do. They don't seem to hang me up as much as the larger paintings that I spend hours staring at wondering what I should do next and at the same time not over analyze.

LT

Rename it "Bearded Clamvertible" and Frankies can have a scorpion bowl.

On 2008-11-05 12:34, LOL Tiki wrote:
Rename it "Bearded Clamvertible" and Frankies can have a scorpion bowl.

LOL Tiki-Shootz, I had no idea what you were talking about until LLT pointed me to the Frankies Thread. Still, I think I will keep the original name..no offense brah.

Here is the new Chongolio.com sticker:

A quick lil something I whupped up out of some old vector art I had created over the years. If you would like one of these stickers send a self addressed envelope to:

Chongolio
PO Box 1842
Lihue, HI 96766

and I will hook you up wun time! Offer expires Dec 15, 2008 while supplies last, So act now!

YAY CHONGO!

C

On 2008-11-03 13:09, Chongolio wrote:

"Clamvertible" Sumi ink and brush pens, a colored pencil for the highlights over Ink washes on watercolor paper.

Dig!

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Barefoot Bloggin'

The Clamvertible it's so cute! how about a sticker of this one too? :)

Hey Chongo...I sent ya an envelope for a sticker and it got returned by the USPS sayin it was "UNDELIVERABLE" Any truth to this or is it a conspiracy to keep us from having a sticker???

On 2008-12-03 12:37, IsleConch wrote:
Hey Chongo...I sent ya an envelope for a sticker and it got returned by the USPS sayin it was "UNDELIVERABLE" Any truth to this or is it a conspiracy to keep us from having a sticker???

Well that is down right weird because that is my P.O.Box Address Not sure why it was returned, unless it because it was addressed to Chongolio instead of my other name, but that shouldn't make a difference. Any one else have this problem?

PM me you address and I will send you a couple stickers. Sorry about the weirdness

Ok..you got it. I think it's a conspiracy by the US postal service to make us re-send the mail to make up for the lost revenue from the email commodity.... That's my story and Im sticking to it!!! LOL

L
Luigi posted on Thu, Dec 4, 2008 1:44 PM

Aww dude, I just a chance to look through yo pages. I love your character design :lol:

Here are a few things that I had posted for the online Tiki Art show last week

"The brother and sister who made the universe."
Paint pens on a piece of big bamboo, and lotsa Tiki bling, raffia, and rope.

"The Monkey God's Vision" Paint pens on sintra, decorated with a rope border, driftwood hanger, macrame, raffia, shells and coral.

I made this little hanging piece with sea glass, driftwood, opihi shell, macrame, beads and a piece of coconut with a lil Timbuwara figure painted on it, some job's tears and a dried Hala fruit. Happy Holidays everyone

"The brother and sister who made the universe."

Righteous!
Great colors/great surface to work with...
spot-on right on the mark with that one...
and the vision of the monkey god...
pure CHONGO_VISION!

you're really creating a unique world
and the best part is...
every new piece
gives us a peek in there!
NOICE!
:)

R

awesome batch chongz!

this one is so freakin rad! I like the Timbuwara character! kawaii desu! :D

The hanging piece with the sea glass is my favorite.
Love it!!!

ST

Chongolio, great stuff! I have a question though, what's that crazy nut-thing hanging under The Monkey God's Vision chin? He arrived safely as well, I just got to find a suitable place where he can take-up residency.

Very kool stuff .

LLT- Thanks you kindly! Yes there is a whole universe of stories myths and legends bouncing around in my head it just take some time to translate in art sometimes. The bamboo was really fun and easier to paint than I had thought. I did put a bunch of lacquer over prior to hitting it with the paint and paint pens. There were a few rough spot but I thought it added to the tribal folk art look I was after. This really was more of an experiment that came out better than I had planned. This piece of bamboo has interesting history, I found it when I first was hiking around the Sleeping Giant near Kapa'a. It was also part or my door frame when I lived at the shop and an incense burner while I was living in Kapahi. It still smells like Nag Champa. I appreciate the comment brah. Lets talk again soon.

Ravenne- Mahalo to you to glad you dig the found art beachcomber style. There is another larger one like this in the works. Kawaii desu Japanese for "its cute , right?" I been tryin to learn more about the far east and there culture. Fascinating stuff.

Sneakytiki- Stoked to hear you can dig it. I had a lot of fun putting it together with stuff I found while walking the beaches.

Tikimango- Cool Good to know it made it to you without suffering at the hands of USPS. Mahalo nui loa for da purchase and giving it a good home. That crazy nut is a from the seed of the Pandanus tree or Hala. That plant was a very important plant to the early hawaiians and provided many uses. The leave were wove together for mats, the fruit was eaten and also when dried, like it is on your new art, was used as a natural brush to paint tapa cloth. I also use them for applying shaving cream :wink:

Tyger Jimz- Thanks cuz! Good to hear from you. I hope you been finding time to keep you creative juices flowing.

B

Chongolio....Huge Bump...I love this work! Your style is really fun and pleasing to the eye. I could see a really sweet kids book coming from you. Keep RAWKIN that island over there!

Well it's been a while since I posted any art, or anything else outside of bilge for that matter, so here is a doodle straight out of my sketch book:

"The Death Bird's Visit" was done with tombo brush pens that it.
I am gonna try to get around to posting some of my finished paintings when I have some time. Mahalo for da peeks.

yea you got yur inspiration back

Sopistatiki- Well... it's coming back but ever so slowly that last doodle has been months in the making.

once the momentum starts,don't deny it!
roll with it brother!
"The Death Bird's Visit"is fun and mysterious!
that sun looks likes it was waaaay fun to draw! :)
here's something i tried with the TOMBOs
that gives cool results...
seeing as you're inspired
it's time for play!
you can run a water soaked brush along one edge
(especially on some Cold Press -rough)
it will "bleed out" a bit...
You can use that for shadows
or fog-misted jungle backgrounds
or clouds
etc...
After you let it dry
you can go back over the drawing with a proper outline...
make sure it's ALL THE WAY DRY
or you will get "fuzzspots" where the tight outline
will spread and follow the remaining water...
Stay on this inspirational roll,buddy!
It's been waaaaay too long!
and post those paintings!

Diggin the new work, Chongo! Great to see it!

On 2009-03-27 17:09, Chongolio wrote:
Sopistatiki- Well... it's coming back but ever so slowly that last doodle has been months in the making.

Well, you certainly haven't lost your touch! Little guy in your doodle looks befuddled!

It's great to see some new work chongo!

I'd have to get a fresh loincloth if that little sucker landed on my nosebone! You psycho! Nice work Chongo! I BTW.....I still bust out the podcasts while in my zen zone at work!

Wow thanks guys for the comments. I am really stoked to see you guys haven't forgot about you ol buddy Chongo even after I have been some what scarce over the last few years. I have not forgot about any of you and do miss being more involved with the artist here on T.C. and the whole tiki scene in general. The truth is I have been really busy since my move over to Kauai and my life over here has gone through many changes which has also rearranged my priorities and to be honest I just got lazy. I am still doing my best to stay on a creative tip but really needed to focus more on making a living and settling into my new home. I will always have the tiki vibe and I love life in Hawaii, however the experience has changed the way I now view the island lifestyle. It's a bit hard to explain but living in Hawaii and coming for a few weeks of vacation are two entirely different experiences. Please don't get me wrong I don't regret my move and do not plan on moving back but their has been plenty of bumpy roads and a lot of missing my friends and family. Thanks again for the comments it really does mean a lot to me.

LLT-Thanks for the Tombo tip. Those brush pens have been my weapon of choice lately as they are easy to throw into a back pack along with the sketch pad. I will try out the wet brush technique on my next sit down.

Sam- So good to hear from you braddah! I hope everything in your world is rock solid and you are keeping your creative flame burning bright.

Polynesiac- Glad to hear you liked the little buggah Mahalo for looks. Hows the beachcombing been out there? Lots of neat stuff washing up ont he shore over here but still have not found any glass floats, just lots of plastic floats, driftwood and fishing nets.

Suburbanpagan- A visit by the death bird is never a pleasant experience. I think my loin cloth would need a changing too if I got the call, but I am a big wuss and lose it over the less threatening centipedes and spiders. Glad you are still enjoying the podcasts. Unfortunately, the adventures will probably never return in a podcast format but I have been playing with a new idea to continue the storyline but not sure how it will play out.

I hear ya, Chongo.....the times we live in have caused some struggle on this end too so my output has suffered but together we will overcome and rise like a (insert tiki equivalent to phoenix) from the ashes! Too dramatic? I look forward to the next incarnation of your world!

Ok, I had some free moments this morning and got a couple shots of the last painting I finished a few weeks ago. Here is "Robots Don't Belong In The Jungle"

Acrylic paint, paint pens and furniture tacks for the rivets along the side of an 11" x 14" canvas. I may add a few more rivets to each side. As always thanks for taken the time to spock um.

Great new painting chongo! - I can hear him scream (in mono, of course) as he charges through the jungle!

Beachcombing has been fair on my side - I usually only find the lobster floats. I think I'd wet myself if I found a glass one. You actually have a chance of finding a glass one - last time I was on the big island I spoke with a serious float collector and he said that he occasionally finds the glass floats on the islands. Keep lookin! You'll find one!

I'm glad that you're making some time for your creativity to shine. You got so many ideas that if you don't let them come out, I'm sure you'd just explode.
please don't explode.

Set of 98 Tombow Dual Brush Pens - $149.99 on sale
Art paper - 27 cents/sheet

The look on that dude's face when the Bird of Death lands on his nosebone - PRICELESS!!!! :lol:

On 2009-03-30 10:21, MadDogMike wrote:
Set of 98 Tombow Dual Brush Pens - $149.99 on sale
Art paper - 27 cents/sheet

The look on that dude's face when the Bird of Death lands on his nosebone - PRICELESS!!!! :lol:

Glad you can dig it brah! Mahalo for lookin' and taking the time to comment

Robots DO belong in the Jungle
Thanks to you!
dig the tapa on him...
Hope you can get more time to paint this year....
Set those Treasures FREE!

C

LLT- I guess some robots will do OK in the jungle. This particular robot was washed ashore after a huge storm. When the locals discovered the metal dude they revered the robot like a God (kinda like C-3P0 and the Ewoks.) When the natives tried to apply the tribe's ritual tatoos to the robots rusty and weakend metallic skin the small holes began to leak oil. The natives believed this to be evil black blood. This freaked the jungle people out and they began to repeatedly beat said robot about the head and shoulders with their clubs. The robot's microprocessors did not think that these actions were logical and went into "get the hell out here mode." The natives aggressively followed their fallen god but kept slipping and falling on the leaking oil. That is why you cant see the natives in pursuit in my painting.

Feel feel free to tell this story to youngsters at bedtime.

A simple doodle I did the other day while hangin' out at the beach listening to music and absorbing my surroundings:

"Pineapple Planet" Just my Tombo pens in my sketch book and some bananas for breakfast.
Aloha

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Barefoot Bloggin'

Nice! I like what the beach inspires you to see.

On 2009-05-26 05:50, Robb Hamel wrote:
Nice! I like what the beach inspires you to see.

the Beach and some other things.
:roll:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

i think it's lack of contact with jeff BTD and other uninspiring folks
that really get Chongo's art a-pumpin!
Where do they sell tix to this pineapple planet?
love the texture in the waves,Randy!
Go man GO!

RANDY!

Great to hear from ya bruddah!

Hope all is well and chill on the Garden Isle!

Love the new piece... so full of life and bursting with color!

I'd love to hook into one of those screaming rights and fly right down the line!

C

Yes it's been awhile since I have posted anything on TC but don't think I don't love you anymore. I just been keepin myself busy and livin da easy kine life. Here are a bunch of photos of a project I finished up over the weekend. I present to you the Spamboo Diddley Bow and Cocoamp. I also have a video that I posted over on youtube that gives you and idea of what it sounds like.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies