Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Spamboo Diddley Bow & Cocoamp pg 123 2-9-2010

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies

either that shark has tikit aste buds...or that surfer is surfin' with some odd things on his board!

COOL PICTURE!!!! certainly a perdicament most surfers would not want to be found in...

A commission? or jus' fo fun?

Are those giant-squid tentacles? I especially like the tiki torch staying lit.
The tiki's expression seems to say, "Get me outta here!" Way cool.

You always take a chance when you hang ten. I really like this one. I want to see more in this style.

Very cool work, Chongo. I can't help but hear Dick Dale's lightening-fast, left-handed, ear-piercing, surfin' Strat licks when I look at this one.

Yikes, got so busy I forgot to reply to my own post.

On 2004-10-10 12:42, Polynesiac wrote:
either that shark has tikit aste buds...or that surfer is surfin' with some odd things on his board!

A commission? or jus' fo fun?

Thanks P.Nesiac, This idea came to me watching too many shark movies. Remember in Jaws when they cut the shark open and found all sorts of weird things.
I did this one for fun, but anybody who is interested in owning the original is encouraged to contact me. It comes in a deluxe bamboo frame.

On 2004-10-10 21:56, ZebraTiki wrote:
Are those giant-squid tentacles? I especially like the tiki torch staying lit.
The tiki's expression seems to say, "Get me outta here!" Way cool.

Yup, giant squid tentacles and all kinds of other fresh seafood. The whole hukilau in fact.

On 2004-10-11 05:57, Raffertiki wrote:
You always take a chance when you hang ten. I really like this one. I want to see more in this style.

Thanks Raffer-T, I hope to have more posted later as time permits.

On 2004-10-11 08:25, Sam Gambino wrote:
Very cool work, Chongo. I can't help but hear Dick Dale's lightening-fast, left-handed, ear-piercing, surfin' Strat licks when I look at this one.

Yeah!! something staccato with a synchopated mysterioso minor chord will help with digestion.

Cheers,
Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-10-25 23:17 ]

Aloha Tiki peeps,
Here is another painting I just put the final touches on and popped into a bamboo frame:

This one is on a 10' x 14' piece of masonite. I used acryllic, paint pens and seaweed! I am calling this one:
"Island Vibrations"
Thanks for looks,
Chongolio

Love it, Chongo! It's great how the muted colors in the background mix with and move into the foreground. Nice composition.

Aaron

Now, that is something else, Chongo! Even better than the one before it. I like how you worked in different elements, and the hammerhead is simply baaad... Keep up the cool, original work.

Aloha, here is another recently finished acryllic painting on 20" x 16" canvas:

I am calling this one "BOMBORA BEACH"
Thanks for the peeks,

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-12-05 12:52 ]

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-12-05 12:59 ]

Good stuff as always. You've really developed a nice style. Keep 'em coming.

THat mixed media piece is excellent - I like your use of algae. Sam's right - that hammerhead speaks volumes...plus hammerheads are just cool in general.

That's one helluva wave on the bottom one! I think that tiki might be goin' fo a swim!

The colors you get are so cool...almost as if you were vewing the world through a dream...or a trance...or rum goggles. Nice work, thanks for posting

Great painting, Bro! That reminds me of the sirens on poles around Kaanapali to warn of incoming Tsunamis. Head for high ground! (The tiki looks unconcerned).

A-A

Another fine work, Chongo. Yes, the colors are great, and I really like that splashy sun. Very cool!

C

Thanks Braddahs,
I think we all know and appreciate the wonders that input and encouragement can bring. The creative process is really a cool thing when shared.

Raffertiki- It is funny, style is an ever changing thing especially across mediums. Yet certain quirky little things characteristics always seem to follow.

Polynesiac- The seaweed part was an interesting experience. That stuff really stinks when left inside before it is completely dried. PEE-YOO!
That tiki will be alright it his home break, its the tourist you have to be concerned about.

A2- That's a cool perception of the tiki going off like a warning siren. I like it. Like I told Raffertiki, the tiki has been through it many times and the beach bar has been rebuilt countless times.

Sam "da" Manbino- Splashy sun, like a big juicy orange in the sky. The sun and juice go well together. I always liked the way Rick Griffin and countless other surf artists extended the sun ray off the page.
Kinda gives it a psychedelic flavor.

Cheers,
Chongolio

... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-12-09 07:04 ]

B

Chongo, you are really pouring it on. 3 dynamite pieces in such short time. The heart can't take it. The tasty treat is my favorite

M

monterey tiki crawl photos from 2004:
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMXDFk2bt3tQ

Chongo Bra!
Got those creative juices goin again.
Excellent work. Lovin it.
Where are the Wahines? :)

randy~ the new stuff is lookin as sweet as always! i'm diggin all of em! keep em comin bruddah!

R- looks cool - Maybe not as cool as the Baribault Creationz stickers but cool! - Ok just kidding the closest one to this post is my favorite - the wave. I like em all!

C

Hey Thanks guys! I was stoked to see my thread get bumped up by someone other than myself for a change. Even if it was Senior Smiley trying to hijack me post with Hooptylau propaganda ARRR.
Just kiddin round Smiley man, your pics are always welcome.

Aloha Sneaky J! Hows things on your side. Are you getting in some snowboard time in? I still would like to check out some of your clips. Anything online yet? Thanks for the reply and props. Glad you like the latest art. Let me know when you are ready for new colors on your stickers.

Unga- I got more art in the works, but I really have been slammed lately with work from all sides. My tikis needing sanding, and paintings need more color. All the while doodles overflow from my sketchpad. I really need to train me some monkeys to help out.

As I said, Things are pretty hectic around my parts right now. The Kamapua'a Project is very close to being sent to the press, so Chris and I have been pretty busy getting it all polished up. We both are really happy with the what we have put together. Definately watch for our post and check it out sometime in February.

Sporadically yours,
Chongolio

... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2005-01-07 16:17 ]

B

Hey Chongo, are you hiding somewhere? You OK? Haven't heard from ya in awhile. Miss these great paintings......

K

On 2005-02-02 13:41, Benzart wrote:
Hey Chongo, are you hiding somewhere? You OK? Haven't heard from ya in awhile. Miss these great paintings......

Aloha braddah Ben! I been in plenny contact wid Chongolio dis week. That braddah stays bizzy! Right now he's addin' da final touches to da Kamapua'a illustrated series dat he's been workin' on wid Tiki Chris. I got a sneak peak earlier today at da first volume of da series! Da artwork is smokin'!

Shootz,
Kamapua'a

C

Thank for checkin' in Benz. The pig tell it like it is. We have spendin lots of time together. Things have been like crazy over here, but the dust is settling and I am looking forward to get back into the T.C. Swing and getting some more art posted soon.

Cheers to you matey,
Chongolio

C

Aloha folks,
I thought it a good time to post an older painting that I had done a few years ago.
It is a portrait of Kamapua'a before Chris and I had met and collaborated on our illustrated series:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13320&forum=12&0

Once again I am blown away by the friendship and projects that have come my way through this forum. I am really looking forward to seeing some 'ol buddies and meeting some new ones at the upcoming events.
I will have copies of Volume one at the S.F. Crawl. If you want to take a peek at one, just ask!

Thanks again Hanford for the banner space. Very cool of you!

Aloha,
Chongolio

UB

Excellent work Randy!

Hey Chongo, I like this painting - the character and the colors - and it's a few years old??? Don't hide 'em so long!

And here we have the art from the unbelievably fun San Francisco Tiki Crawl 2005.

The idea was to have Characters who "supported" the Crawl carrying the alter to Tiki Bob. Hanford and Martiki in the front and Mig in the back. Had I known how much work Rebbecca had done also, I would of used her as the forth. Originally the Moai represents all the people who made the crawl possible. All the other characters are loosely based on some of the characters we have on TC.
Mig may have shirts still available if anybody is interested tap him a note on the coconut wire.
Thanks for the peeks,
Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

[ Edited by: Chongolio 2007-01-18 09:36 ]

B

Excellent poster Again, Chongo. We've missed seeing the steady stream of your work. it is Always sooo good.

S

nice, bro.i went to your site and all your work is sick.

Somebody needs to post an image of the "monkey holding the shrunken head" painting. dogbytes bought it at TO5. I want a print Randy.

OH, just saw it on your website, "Midnite Trader"

To appreciate beauty is to live in bliss!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2005-05-15 11:55 ]

D

i am so in love with this painting!! i stole this pic off Chongo's website.. when i get mine framed, i'll take a snap ~ but really its much more awesome in person.. so JT, come to seattle for a better look!

That is a cool painting - not only do I always dig Chongo's style, but he always has such cool subjects.... what could be cooler than a painting with a monkey, a blowfish and a shrunken head in it at once??

Mahalo dogbytes. I'll be up next year to see that. I am really looking forward to Seattle and Portland.

Chongo!!!!

I missed this thread with the updates...awesome stuff. I totally dig your style...and what's a chongo without a pufferfish?!?!?!?! I am totally bummed that I missed both the crawl and oasis. ONce again your shirt ROCKS

Great score dogbytes, that is an impressive painting. I love the composition.
Reminds me of several nights I had not too long ago.

B

Yeah, that Monkey picture has All the good things, monkey, blowfish lamp, Bright eyed pendant,shrunken head, Fez, palm tree, and did I say Monkey already?

Now its my turn to blush. Thanks folks.
I am so glad that painting went to a good home. Elicia and Todd are super people :D
I hope to get a couple new one posted after I get a photography lesson from a buddy-o-mine.
Stokin on yer input,
Chongolio

Here is one I finished up in time for Oasis V. I have been pretty busy the last few months but hope to get caught up with some unfinished projects soon.

"oceanman" Mixed media on a sintra ( a type of plastics sign material)

Thanks for the peeks,
Chongolio

... Mark Twain

Kamapua'a the Hawaiian Pig Godhttp://www.piggod.com

On 2005-07-19 18:23, Chongolio wrote:
"oceanman"

Randy,

Very nice work! Was the title/idea inspired by Ween's song "Ocean Man"?

Aloha,
Tiki Chris

Hey wait a minute.....long ears, long nose, no eyes just a brow. HEY, you copied those big things on that island place out in the middle of the ocean.
I should wear a huge mask like that and boxing gloves when I surf at your beach, then maybe I could get a ride. Those mean surfers would get out of my way.

Just what I needed, a Chongolio fix. Haven't seen enough of your stuff lately, Bro! Nice composition, brilliant colors - signature Chongo style!

Aaron

what can I say...I dig fez-wearing monkeys...nice work
Chongolio...

Hey, Chongo - That Oceanman is the bomb! I like the texture looks you got on this one - I used to paint signs on Sintra. It doesn't seem like it would be that easy to get such cool texture effects on that surface. As always, very cool stuff!!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-07-21 00:01 ]

Mahalo to all of you....

Yeah Chris, Oceanman is named from the Ween tune. For those that don't know, it is the song played on the credits at the end of the Spoungebob movie. A really cool song.

JT-forget the gloves and get a speargun.

A2- How you been bro? How them logs drying out?

Sam- yeah the Sintra was a scrap I had laying around that I cut to fit a frame that was also laying around. It really worked pretty good.The texture was really just a lot of stipling with paint pens.

Conga- True that, you can never go wrong with monkey with a fez

B

Nice one Chongo. ocean man looks like Bart Simpsons step brother so he's gotta be a crazie dood. It's nice seeing more of your works.

M

Great job Chongolio. I like the humor behind these pieces.

Awesome Chongolio!!!
I was just telling my wife that I thought the title of the painting from was "Ocean Man" by Ween. I really think you cought the vibe of that song on your painting. Anyway I like your new masterpiece as much as I love that whole Ween album "The Mollusk"
Keep up the great work!!!
Spermy

On 2005-07-21 12:33, Chongolio wrote:
A2- How you been bro? How them logs drying out?

Well sort of... I stashed them under my porch, but they're sprouting all these crazy green stalks. I guess redwood never really dies. I think I better carve 'em soon!

Gotta do another Santa Cruz trip sometime. And plan in a little more party time for sure!

See ya,

Aaron

Mahaloz-a-plenty to all ya, thanks for takin' the time to comment.
Good Guess Spermy. Ween is pretty cool. I got see them play once in S.F, it was awesome they were really tight and obviously havin' a good time. I think it was at the fillmore..I can't remember. I do remember being blown away by their show though!

For anybody interested, from this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10246&forum=11&vpost=127134&hilite=ocean%20man

Here are your lyrics and chords to ocean man. Its not to bad a song for the uke either:

(E7)Ocean man, take me by the hand
Lead me to the land (B) that you understand
(E7)Ocean man, the voyage to the corner of the globe (B) Is a real trip
(A)Ocean man, the crust of a (B) tan man embibed by the (A) sand. Soaking up the (B) thirst of the land

Ocean man, can you see
Through the wonder of amazement - at the oberman
Ocean man, the crust is elusive when it casts forth
To the childlike man
Ocean man, the sequence of a life form braised in the sand
soaking up the thirst of the land

(I have subbed an E7 for E on an uke to make for an easier play-o-long)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies