Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Spamboo Diddley Bow & Cocoamp pg 123 2-9-2010

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies

C

Let's give our support to Chongovision and fulfill our dream of giving it all up and take of to Hawaii....
Best wishes Chongolio! and thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Chongolio , Glad to help and have asked everyone here to go to your site as well :)

Amy

The forgotten rocketeer is reeeealy great! I can't beleive you are making art, making a web show AND moving to Hawaii! Good Gosh, what do you do in your spare time?!?!?
U loving Hawaii???

Big aloha from the Big Island!

Mahalo, mahalom mahalo,
Dogbytes, Jentiki, Marcus, Clarita, DAVE DID IT, Queen Kamehameha, Clarita and Tiki Shark for takin' the time to check out CHONGOVISION. I really get a excited when I think of the potential of technology like this. It quite simply blows me mind.

Queen Kamehameha- thanks for spreadin' the word and the encouragement.

Tiki Shark- What do I do in my spare time you ask...Sleep and dream of the next adventure and creative endeavor I am going to jump into. Am I lovin' Hawaii you asked also. I am still having a hard time believing I am finally here and lovin' every second of it. I want to start crying everytime I see a coconut. Furthermore, you my freind are going to have to be one of the artist interviewed on Chongovison if not the first.

Chongolio

chongooooooo...your pics of the islands make me jealous!! Get your stream up sucka!

HI HO CHONGOVISION!

Here are some pics of the Ohana Hut I painted over at the Munktiki studio. This Ohana Hut is going to be available! To find out about hoe to win it and the cool story behind it, bleeep on over to my thread in tiki marketplace.

ALOHA and thanks for spockin'
Chongolio

Very Nice Chongo!
I finally was able to see a real one (Hiphipahula's) and to see the delicate ,well thought out colors you added...Perfect! I'm gonna go cheggout your BLOG during lunch! What a treat to have the actual designer of the hut embellish it!!!! Someone's gonna grin reeeal big!

Details for the raffle can be found on the thread in tiki marketplace.

Thanks for the props Kinny. Hey good to talk with you today! Lookin' forward to seeing some more of the new stuff you been gangbustin'

Chongolio

Hey Chongo- Very nice work - from the colors to the detail! Great job on the embellishment.... a cool one of a kind piece!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-06-30 10:40 ]

Thanky Sam! Stuckie was a big help gettin' me dialed in using the glazes. They are a weird deal to work with and it felt more like frostin' a cake than paintin'

Chongolio

C

I spent a quiet afternoon just relaxin in the studio, creatin some art and listenin' to Java's Bachelor Pad. And just for the heck of it I also fired up CHONGOVISION. I managed to finish up this peice I am calling reunion:

This was very much inspired by my good buddy LLT who finally convinced me that I need to try out Gouache. This piece took me back to the my earlier days of crosshatching except this time I was using color and a brush instead of black ink and a pen. The background was done with wet colored tissue and the I went over the top with the goauche. My light sources kinda got away from me but overall it was a fun one to experiment with.

Wow! Cool and Organic-Alien Looking tikis! looking good Chongo!
Happy 4th!

C

Mahalo Tiki Shark and a happy fourth to you also. You are right about them tiki lookin' otherworldly. You guys blow me away with how well you handle your mediums and lightin'.

Chongz

Very cool Randy!
Welcome to GouacheLand!
I love the third guy from the left,with those eyes and stuff on his helmet!
Also diggin how you used different colors for different outlines...
Your work always has a Happy flow and movement to it!
Glad to see you're finally settled enough to spill some great pieces out!
:)
We miss you Chongo!

On 2007-07-04 20:36, Chongolio wrote:
I spent a quiet afternoon just relaxin in the studio, creatin some art and listenin' to Java's Bachelor Pad.

Looks like my little radio show was able to give you some big ideas. Thanks for tuning in!

Keep Swinging!
Java

Hey Chongo- Nich gouache work! I've yet to sling any of that. This piece is cool...

Here are a couple progress shots of my new Tiki Room that is being put together upstairs at the screenprintin' shop I am workin' and stayin' at here in Lihue.

Lookin' into the room which was previously a darkroom that was crammed with old equipment parts ink and junk. The sliddin 'door has been removed so a regular door can be installed.

Lookin' back out the door

Reed fencing for the walls. These rolls came from Walmart of all places only 16.00 bucks a roll! Quite the deal.

You want more before pics? I got more just click this link Barefoot Bloggin'. I hope to get more progress shots this weekend.
Thanks for the peeks and comments.

Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

Much love for you, bruddah!

Hurry and get that done! I need a place to crash when i finally get there! Are you gonna get a Gilligan's Island hammock?

And away we go....

Haole'akamai- Thanks for sendin' da luv. Totally missin' all y'all and really lookin forward too hangin' out at the end of this month. Also, I have a drink ingredient that I wanna share with you and see what you come up with.

LLT- No Gilligan Hammocks my friend. I am a sleep on my side kinda guy which is not condusive to deep hammock slumber. No banana hammock either!

So following LLT's lead, here are a few of my studies for some of the paintings I will be doing for Tiki Magazine's Tiki Island at the Bali Hai Art Show. (Yeah I know Chongolio is not listed as one of the artist because I am sneakin' in all cloak n' dagger style.) These are sort of snippets of a lil story I have been workin' on. With out giving to much away it involves Tikis and turtles on an adventure in the South seas.

On this one I used brush pens, a sumi ink pen and a bit of goauche. The background was done with wet colored tissue paper on water color paper.

Honu and the Volcano god was done with brush pens, my sumi ink pen and colored pencils for the background on watercolor paper.

And now onto my new tiki room progress pics...

A shot from just inside the door. Reed fencing has been stapled to all the walls, Ukulele holder has been mounted, homemade light plugged in and carpet put down.

This pic was taken from the other side of the room. Take note of the $16.00 fold up popasan chair and the free cane coffee table that was a kick downfrom a new island friend.

My "closet" and look at the big ol peice of bamboo that I found when I hiked the Kuamoo-Nounou trail. The 'boo was halved, sanded down and laquered up. The other half can be seen in the first pic next to the uke hanger. I have more big ol bamboo out back curing and a-waiting to used to hide the seams on the reed fencing.

My sleeping cubby replete with a $50.00 mattress with the $40.00 kmart fold up aloha foam pad, that I was sleepin' on for the last 2 months, on top until I get find some cheapo sheets, freebie end tables compliments or craiglist and the ubiquitous room fan.

And here you have the homemade light fixture I put together for under $5.00 using a planter basket and a Spongebob Squarepants light that had seen better days that I picked up a thrift store.

Poor Spongebob lost his eyeballs but did have the light pulled out of his butt.

The view of the back of the shop from my room's window. The back is another area I have been slowly zazzin' up. Pics of the back coming up in a later post. So there you have it Tiki room on the cheap cheap! Thanks for the lookz!
Aloha,
Chongolio the frugal decorator

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

Chongo!
This turtle/Tiki/Island concept is Pure Tropical Genius! Love both those pieces,but the first one is extra special with all the little details including the turtle face beam for the hut! Can we get a timeshare on the back of this fellah?Love the Glph/texture on the turtles! Your work is playful and full of personality as always! Can't wait to see paintings of these at BaliHai in November ! Your pad is slowly gettin there! sorry about the SpongeBob back-end extraction!
Made a great lamp tho! Miss ya Bruddah!

F

Chongolio,

THose turtle-scapes are great, I love the detail in the turtles flippers. Very Cool

C

Looking good!! Congrats!

I heard in the air that there may be some more Chongolio Turtle Island drawings....
Anyone else get wind of new drawings and studies by Randy Bain?
Maybe he'll post them if we all shout reeeeeeeeeal loud...
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
CHONGOOOOOOOOOOOOLIOLIOLIOLIOLIOLIOLIOLIOLIOooooo!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
CHONGOOOOOOOOOOOOLIOLIOLIOLIOLIOLIOLIOLIOLIO!
Wheeeeeeeeeere are you? Let's see dem purdy pitchers!
:D

C

Thanks for the enthusiasm LLt. I am getting pretty stoked about the Tiki Magazine's Tiki Island at the Bali Hai Art Show too. Here is what I have just recently finished but need to figure out a frame for:

"Sunset Travelers" was done using an acrylic base I then went over it with more acyllic paint, sealed the whole thing and then went after it again with paint pens.

I did lots of sketches on the plane and while traveling around over the week. Here is the sumi pen sketch I did while flying back to Hawaii from Oakland. This is going to be another character in the series I am thinking about.

This is just a sketch I went over with the sumi ink pen. I scanned it and purtied it up in photoshop.

So I have these characters and kind of a storyline going. Anybody want add something or give their thoughts. I would be interested to hear what you are thinkin'

Chongolio

Stackable Ohana Huts. You're a fucking genius Cornholio....er Chongolio. Just think how much drink you could put in there. Of course they would be self-contained, but stackable. That's what I think. heh

C

On 2007-09-05 20:34, Jungle Trader wrote:
Stackable Ohana Huts. You're a fucking genius Cornholio....er Chongolio. Just think how much drink you could put in there. Of course they would be self-contained, but stackable. That's what I think. heh

You are out of yor mind ya troublemaker. I will ask Stuckie what he thinks. :wink:

"Sunset Travellers" is splendid,Randy,simply splendid! I like all these turtle island and stackable hut concepts pouring from your brain! Beautiful! On the Sunset piece,you got thatmood and the gently swimming motion of the Tortuga nailed! Bravo! and it looks like you've fully mastered the elusive sumi-brush-ink-pen! Rad! that was worth the wait and all dat shoutin!!!!! See ya in two months buddy! :D

All I can say is WOW!!! I luv the turtles....they are wonderful. :)

Here is another one of the characters from the turtle series I was doing for the Tiki Magazine Bali Hai Art Show which was a blast by the way. These guys were done using a acrylic wash for a background on a canvas that I had sitting around for awhile. After I had most of the background and shapes blocked in I sealed it with polyurethane and went at it with the trusty, yet temperamental at times, paint pens. The final had a sea grass frame around it which along with the painted canvas was mounted on a piece of masonite board to help give it some girth. I gave this one to my sister for her birthday. You may still see or better yet hear more about the Turtles and Tiki Travelers Once the Coconut Wired Under Ground Testing is complete. So for now please get eye full of The Searchers.

Thanks for peeks.

VEEEEEEEEERY COOL!
Your whole turtle island/narrative/series is friggin groovy!
Keep the volume UP!
The concepts and colors and happymonkey approach is all over these!
Stoked to know you!

T

I like how the little guy on top is looking the other way. The turtle with just one hut looks like it would be an island sized turtle, but the fish (with the standard -sized bubbles) bring the size back down. The fuzzy backs! The above water/below view has been a favorite view since I was a little kid. The DNR had this poster with # near the animals all hidden wit a key at the bottom. Great, warm and fuzzy style.

I dunno how I missed this thread for so long! Turtles carryin'
their homes on their backs is anything but wack, brilliant sky treatments give my eyeballs lip smacks.

If I were to psychoANALyze your pix, I'd say the turtle is a metaphor for a guy (you) that carries his home on his back, or back pack, freewheelin' an, footloose, an' on the move, an' all that...

Sweet series.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-11-18 01:53 ]

LLT-Dig your input, inspiration and all around guruism. KNOW THIS!

teaKey- Thanks for the view. The littlest turtle is a kid always enjoying the view while the older (wiser?) turtles move forward with resolve and dignity yet still with weary eyes half shut. I have always dug the split view too and I guess the turtles woulb be a bit oversized for turtles but not in the Gamera scale

Sneakytiki- Psychoanalyze at will, me and all my personalities get a long fine and are not easily offended. Yeah man, The turtle has been a definite theme for me personally over the last few months. Home on my back, on the move, searchin' etc. not to mention they are seen in the water almost daily where I have been surfin'

Although not intentional a very insightful observation regardin' the Honu

C

Looking forward to hear more about this! My eyes are full of The Searchers for now :) !

C

It's been awhile since I have posted a pic so here is one that gives a good idea about what my mind has been on lately... the stand up paddle boards floating around Kalapaki. Hence the name "The Kalapaki Paddler." Not really Tiki but da kine is tribal and that is close enough for me. This one measures in around 6" x 6" and was done with acrylic paint and paint pens along with the rope boarder. As always thanks for the looks and comments.

Myspace
Barefoot bloggin'

COOL! Seahorse hair?

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2008 4:28 PM

Dude! That is cool! Love the colors and the design.

Randy!
So smooooooth!
that diamond shape is right on...
and the dude is certainly cruisin!
This makes me happy
because i can tell you're happy!
:)

Fine surfer art, Chongo! I miss your stuff here.... we need more of that cool blowfish art of yours too... Maybe a hammerhead or 2!

ST

Arrgghh!! Now SUPs have even invaded the tiki world. Looks great but make sure he understands that if he sits (stands) way out back and snakes every wave I won't like him anymore.

Need more Coconut Wired!! Have you checked out a band called The Chop Tops? They're a surf/rock/psychobilly band from Santa Cruz; very cool, very good.

JT- Howzit! Seahorse hair yup thats what happens when you spend to much time in the water. When are you and the Surf Goof gonna load up and come to Kauai? I know now isn't the best time with the airlines all in bad shape but hopefully something will brighten up.

Kahu- Thanks for checking it out and the comment. I am going to try and get more items posted over the weekend or sooner if time allows and I get my taxes done.

LLT- Yeah the diamond was an effort to get out of my square thinking patterns. I was also playing with an idea that is based on those god's eye things you make in summer camp out of yarn. Furthermore, much of my artistic happiness can be traced back to you and friendship, mentoring and support. You are a good dude and have done much for so many here on T.C. MAHALO MANG.

SAM!-Always a treat to read your kind words and it's always nice to see the latest slick offerings from your artistic garage. I will keep in mind the request for more blowfish and hammerheads. Hope all is going well Brother.

Surf tiki- The Kalapaki Paddlers lives in harmony with all who share the oceans charms. I am still a surfer at heart, However, the "SUP" gives me something to do on flat days and crowded weekends. Sorry to have to tell ya that Coconut Wired is on indefinite hiatus because of a technological misfortune. I had heard of and seen the Chop Tops a few times and they are good.

Aloha Chongolio!
Very cool art! Your one creartive person,I dig the surf influence,That's part of my Tiki Stoke and flow, Aloha, Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2008-04-10 12:02 ]

Chong! Nice to see something from you I always felt that surfing and art went togeather, both good ways to enjoy a nice day at the beach. wish i could be there playing in the water too! Makes me happy just thinking about being on the beach in Hawaii Dawn

Aloha Randy!

Love this new piece by you!

The waves are great! I love how they've got a graphic look to them and the one corner overlaps the paddle a liitle bit. Great detail!

The paddler is wonderfully rendered... a determined look on his face and a strong upper body leaning into a powerful stroke.

Rope always adds that bit of organic to a piece and it compliments this one perfect.

Tons of mana flowing around this one... stay stoked!

Mahalo nui loa for all the kind words, Y'all are no ka oi! to da max!

Mooney- Ah yes the tiki stoke and flow I couldn't live with out it and stoked to know it coming across in my art. Thanks for the comment and encouragement. Aloha!

Sophista-tiki- Aloha my VW drivin' Sistah! Very nice to hear from ya! I agree nothing makes a day sweeter than a day of sun, surf and art enjoyed on tropical beaches. I been bringin' my sketch book and pencil down to the oceanside and enjoying all the inspiration that surrounds me. I really dig the new art you have posted as well... very colorful and rich with the tropical vibe.

Lake-Buddy! Mahalo for the peeks, props and nice critique. It's good to know that the spirit of the Kalapaki Paddler is coming through loud and clear. I hope all is well with you and the water is warming up a bit. Has the stand up paddle board craze hit the lakes yet?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies