Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Spamboo Diddley Bow & Cocoamp pg 123 2-9-2010

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies

Hey Chongo!

Howzit?! Wow, it's great to see some of your art again. I love your style!

It's way VOGGY over here! This keeps up, I may have to come live on your island!

I thought the Diamond shape was a play on the "Crossing" sigh. SUP crossing! So sorry to hear about coconut wired! It still stands as one of the very best podcasts on the net! An original adventure story with kicking music! You area one talented kanaka!!

Aloha~

C

Hi Chongolio! "The Kalapaki Paddler." is very cool! I'm glad your lack of computer is starting to pay of, keep going please!

Tiki Shark- Hey brah! Thanks for the looks and praise. Coming from one of the masters it means a lot. I been reading about all the volcanic action going down over on da big island! Never a dull moment ya know. I like your "SUP" crossing idea thats pretty funny.

Clarita-First off thanks for the comment and hello. It's really nice to hear from you. Secondly, I am so sorry about losing the episode of Coconut Wired that was going to feature your creative candles. The sad thing is I was just about done with it when I lost my laptop. If and when I ever get Coconut Wired going again. You will be the first person I think about featuring.

Mahalo again to everyone for taking a peek.

Here are a few new pieces from me that I had finished up just before moving out of my last place of residency. (yes, I have moved...AGAIN!)

"The Bone Eater" was done on a 10" tall wooden spoon I found at the Goodwill in Lihue. I used acrylic paints and paint pens on it.

"The Singing Leaf" was done on a piece of sintra with acrylic paints and paint pens. I bordered it with rope and made a hanger out of driftwood and macrame. I also decorated it with a piece of sea glass, beads and coral. Hanging from the bottom are wood beads and the dried fruit from a Pandanus (Hala) tree which the native Hawaiians used as paint brushes for their tapa. This one was purchased by a lady who moved into the place I just moved out of. When she came over to check the house out she saw this one and wanted to buy it for her son's birthday. Pretty cool me thinks.

As always, thanks for the peekage and all the inspiration! Aloha to da max

Glad to see you haven't lost your touch Randy.
Very cool.
You are missed over here.

ALOHA!

GO CHONGO!
Singing leaf is a Classic!
Kind of a theme,like the turtles and boats and all the wonderful inhabitants of Chongoland!
Really diggin how it's not only a cool happy piece,but all the material around it
and the stories about the materials.....
Glad you're back in the saddle,settled into the new hut
and banging out the good stuff!
I was wondering what to do with these spoons and forks i got from Dibroc and Paula...
you just inspired me to get offa my butt and just do it!
Thanks buddy! We miss ya!

J

Awww! The Singing Leaf is fantastic! If it hadn't already been purchased, I would've picked that one up for myself! I love your little singing characters! Miss you bunches, monkey boy! :D

those are really cool! sorry to hear you are moving again.

Randy!

Love both the new pieces, but especially the Singing Leaf!

Spectacular!

Updates from you are always a treat, best of luck in the new residence!

DUDE! Love the new stuff. Looks like the islands are in your blood.
This song popped into my head when I saw this thread.
"Da cool Chongolio said to Sue :music:
If I was barefootin would you barefoot too
Sue told Chongolio, :music: "I'm forty two, I was barefootin ever since I was two"
They was barefootin, they was barefootin
We barefootin, we barefootin" :music:

You gonna crawl thru S.F. in October?

Stagger Onward Rejoicing

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2008-07-23 07:10 ]

Mahalo for the looks and taking the time to comment.

Unga- It took me a while to get these guys finished. I may have kept my touch but my time for creating art sure has become limited after getting out here and settling in. More time for art should happen once I settle into the new studio.

LLT- Someday I will find the time to create all the little stories that run through my head when I am creating these lil buddies. Thanks for all the tips, tricks and sharing your art with all of us over the years. You da man, KNOW THIS!

Jen-I may have a print of it for you... some day. Glad you like um. I miss all y'all too. Send my alohas to the FI crew. (except Mai-Tai.. he is weird.)

D Hat- Good to hear from ya. yeah, moving sucks but at least I am upgrading to a better surrounding with NO ROOMATES! I just got to get through a few more weeks of limbo livin'.

Lake- Stoked to hear from you and get the compliment. I will continue to keep everybody posted on art and life in Hawaii as long as people keep asking me too. I hope your get some summer surf sessions in.

JT-Dude that song is cool! Did you write that? Very good to hear from you too. Mahalo for the comment. Are you and the goof getting any water time in? I would love to come a-crawlin' but it will depend on the work flow and how many fun coupons my financial advisor "Wally" will give me.

Here is another doodle I did that I had forgotten about that was stashed between pages in a sketch book.

This hungry tiki was done on watercolor paper using, ink as a background with gouache and markers over the top once I the ink has dried. It was kind of an experiment using new and different mediums

Myspace
Barefoot bloggin'

Yes I wrote that song. Here's another one I just started, I'm wondering how I should continue with the lyrics.
:music: Her name was Lola
She was a showgirl :music: blahblah blahblah
writers block you know, heh
The Kirk is a Water Polo goalie star. Not much time for surfing.....but back to your art.
You and LLT have a similar style. Always improving, always evolving.

Rapa Nui my Brudda Chonglio-
Hey man I am diggin on the new work!! I think it's funny that you called one of your paintings "Bone Eater" hehehehe You rock Randy!!

Two comments that I kinda figured would come up...

JT- Good to hear the goof is keeping himself wet and getting his exercise. I hope your at least getting out to you backyard wonderland and splashing water in your face. You mentioned LLT and my style being similar. I have to admit Kinny has given me loads of inspiration and tutoring. His art has the look I have long admired and to some degree try to achieve in some of my own art. It's a style and look that fits right in there with Rick Griffin, Drew Brophy and a some of the old school underground comic artists. Also, as Kinny pointed out to me "We both use unlikely objects/surfaces and acrylic/paintpen. we tend towards the fantasy angle of Tiki" I was not going to post the "Bone Eater" because it is so similar to his "Skull Eaters" in theme and style and I knew Spermy or Big Tiki Dude would make fun of the name. But as they say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Although LLT has got his chops and technique down way more solid than me, I am still much cuter.

Spermy- You think "The Bone Eater" is a funny name. What is funnier is that comment coming from a dude who calls himself Sperm Whale! hahahaha. You rock even more so! wooo hooo! Rapa Nui Brah!

J

On 2008-07-24 13:46, Chongolio wrote:
I am still much cuter.

True dat!

C

oh very very nice new ones!! Go Chongo Go!

Jen- :wink:

Clarita- Nice to hear from you! Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

I was scanning my sketch book today like some kind of a crazy fool and came across this "study" I was doing for the Bone Eater. Despite my good sense of I am posting it anyway:

OK..OK Stop your snickering! (You know who you are.) Well...for fairly obvious reason I decided to replace the femur bone the tiki was eating to fish bones. Maybe I should of called the final piece "The Fish Bone Eater."

On 2008-07-24 13:59, JenTiki wrote:

On 2008-07-24 13:46, Chongolio wrote:
I am still much cuter.

True dat!

you two are soooooo mean!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Randy ,my Main Main! :lol:
Diggin on both the drawing and study!
bone eater....haha
I like what you did on the first one
using the gouache as a highlight....
did quite a few of those with a dark ground
and used a naples yellow for the hi-light and discovered
Chiaroscuro!!!!!!!!!
(Italian for clear-dark)
it's a trip how much volume the figure can reveal with just a little bit!
The crosshatching in the mouth I'm really diggin too!
As for the bone-eater on this page....
I like how he has his whole surplus of food layed out!
Also the style is evocative of Mark Marek
with the looseness and rawness
and just damn plain FUN!
Check him out!
His "Hercules amongst the North Americans" is Comedic genius!
http://markmarek.org
There's always a humor and love in your pieces
and that's what i dig the most....
See you in September Broham!

Mahalo LLT for the stoke! I am still trying to get the hang of gouache and still struggling with getting an opaque highlight that doesn't blur my pen brush strokes. I will have to give the Chiaroscuro approach a try some time. It''s been a trip using the dark blue pens for my dark line as opposed to my usual black outline everything approach.

I checked out Mark Marek's site and dug the loose and raw style that he has. (but the site itself was a little too loosy goosy for my navigationally challenged brain.) His style reminds me a lot of Gary Panter. I am trying more and more to approach my sketches and studyies with a looser hand and then tighting up on my paintings but I am such a nit picker even when I am just doodlin' around town. That is one of the many things I admire about your studies; the controlled looseness they all have.

Here is another scan of a rough pencil logo comp I did for a client. (I will post an pic of the actual logo through the various stages if I get the O.K. to do so from the client.) After he picked one of the other comps I had given him to develop into his logo, I went in one night with the tombo pens and colored this one up one time. Here is the The Bean Doctor:

Just tombo brush pens in a sketch pad.

C

As some of you may or may not know, I been working as a graphic designer in a screenprinting shop. Most of the time I am massaging other peoples graphics and getting them prepared for printing on t-shirts. But I finally got around to recreating one of my designs that was lost when my old laptop bought the coffee plantation. Those of you who have been out to Kauai undoubtedly has experienced are thriving wild chicken population. This shirt pays tribute to the Rooster or "Moa Kane" in the hawaiian dialect. This is the back design:

And this is the front pocket and sleeve:

I was trying to get an old distressed label kinda feel. I am pretty happy with this version of "Moa Kane Coffee." The styles will vary as I play around with ink, placement and shirt colors. But I think the first run is going to be navy blue ink on a tan shirt. There are two ways to get yourself one of these fine Chongolian designed T's. You can buy one from me for 20.00 + shipping or come to visit me on Kauai and I will give you one (while supplies last.)

I was also commissioned by Tiki Centrals own TAI WON ON & Dr. Von Zombie to do a character design for their "leisurenauts" t-shirt they will proudly be sporting at Oasis this year: I present Lampman for your viewing pleasure. Any resemblance to Vincent Price was unintentional.

Chongolio.com
Myspace
Barefoot bloggin'

[ Edited by: Chongolio 2008-08-02 10:04 ]

Chongolio!!!

As always you got some big time style and skill!!! Love the old skool logo ... ultra cool.

Aloha Dirk! Thanks for the reply and checking out my art and stuff.

Here is another one I had finished a while back but just now getting around to getting pics of and posting. Probably should of used a less busy background to shoot the pics but you can probably get the gist. No tiki this time just 100% surfin' stokage.

"Green Glass Vibrations" Acrylic background sealed with krylon then hit with paint pens. The driftwood and hemp twine hanger are decorated with some wooden bead, Job's tears that I had gathered by my old house, some pieces of coral and raffia. All combined to help augment the isle vibration being sent out to the veiwer. Can you dig that? I knew that you could.

Bump!

Tons of talent!

You know the surf stoke is close to my heart... that's a sweet creation right there!

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks, and maybe we can swap out some art to take to each other's slice of paradise.

I super extra like The Bean Doctor and Bone Eater. They'd make great T-shirt graphics or mini-prints. Nice.

I can totally dig it!!!

See 'ya at FI!

Chongolio ~ Sweet tee design, and the green glass is beautiful No doubt a self portrait of you on some choice wave out on the garden isle, yeah?

Aloha friends! Mahalo for the looks and comments.

Lake- Thanks for the bump and stokage! I am so looking forward to getting together at F.I. having a few cocktails and swappin' da kine! See you soon.

Robb- Glad that you like the lil buggahs. Sometimes its the simple sketches that really capture the personality of the creatures that inhabit the little island that is my mind.

Polynesiac- You are a bro, KNOW THIS. We are gonna have a good crew of talented folks rubbin' elbows at F.I. So jazzed to see you all.

Tiki Shark- Now I just got to get busy and print the shirts. Come on over one time and I will have one waiting for you. Yes, there is always a little piece of the artist in all our work. Green Glass Vibration probably has a little more of me in it than most.

So... I been on a tentacle trip for a new T-shirt design I been thinking about. So after spockin' good ol Cysdalle's terrific take on tentacles along with a few other artist around the web. I went and did a few sketches with brush pens to find out where the bumps, twist, highlights and shadows will need to go.
By no stretch finished art just yet more observations that will get me one step closer to final art.

Chongolio.com
Myspace
Barefoot bloggin'

[ Edited by: Chongolio 2008-08-26 00:50 ]

Chongo!
Lovin the "Green Glass Vibrations"-especially the lil fish lookin up..
Your work makes my heart happy!
You got a genius MonkeyMind,my friend!
Also ga-ga-groovin on the joyful looseness of the bean doctor!
i can feel him jigglin and shakin!
He's alive! and movin! :)
Nice to see some studies and thought processes behind these!
Nice tentacle studies with the twining and twistin!
I feel bad for that lil tiki guy!
Dug up an old surfboard pic that has some tentacles for ya!
Clysdalle got it for his lady's birthday last year....
What a softie!

Hope this helps to inspire what is already shaping up to be your next cool piece!
hope to be able to see you soon,brother!

LLT- Oh man thanks for posting that pic of the surfboard. There was a loose remembrance of your board sprackin of the walls of my head and I couldn't for the life of me catch it. Now I got it. Thanks! You do good tentacles twists too and they can be troublesome. Really sorry I had to bail out on the So Cal leg of my trip in Sept. But I will be toastin' you at Forbidden Island.

On 2008-08-10 16:32, Chongolio wrote:
Aloha Dirk! Thanks for the reply and checking out my art and stuff.

Here is another one I had finished a while back but just now getting around to getting pics of and posting. Probably should of used a less busy background to shoot the pics but you can probably get the gist. No tiki this time just 100% surfin' stokage.

"Green Glass Vibrations" Acrylic background sealed with krylon then hit with paint pens. The driftwood and hemp twine hanger are decorated with some wooden bead, Job's tears that I had gathered by my old house, some pieces of coral and raffia. All combined to help augment the isle vibration being sent out to the veiwer. Can you dig that? I knew that you could.

That dude kinda looks like me except he aint falling off his board. Hehehe I am not much of a surfer but I make a excellent Hodad!! I am loving the painting Chongolio.

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2008-08-26 10:18 ]

Hey Spermy- Brah, you got all it takes to be a soul surfer. A good attitude, a smile on your face and a penchant for good times. It don't matter how many times you flail if you bring those qualities into the line up. Get wet!

Well... been doing my best to get my eggs in one basket for The Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale coming up next Sat. Here are a few of the latest items I will have for you to look at and purchase.

"Tribal Hammerhead" was made with colored markers, and a white gel pen for the highlights with an india ink background on watercolor paper. It measure in at 8" x 6"

"Puffie's Tune" was a request from Jentiki (who has dibs if she wants it.) It started as a study for a painting, that I am going to try and have done before next weekend, that came out a pretty neat. So I thought I would share it with the fine folks here on T.C. It was done with Tombo brush pens in my sketch pad. I now wish I had done it on thicker paper. This buddy comes in at 8.25" x 12" I will try to post the rest of my finished projects as they become such...finished that is. Looking forward to minglin' with some of you in a few short days!

And... check out the video that Crazy Al and I put together while he was out here on The Garden Isle carvin' up a storm. Watch it on his website

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Barefoot Bloggin'

[ Edited by: Chongolio 2008-09-09 00:15 ]

"Look at that turtle go...Bro"
Another turtle painting finished up and ready for looks. With his home and board on his back he is ready for a cruise up the coast to do some surfin' and maybe catch a fish for grill. This guy was done in the usual fashion. Acrylic background on a piece of sintra, then hit gingerly with the paint pens. Afterwords augmented with a driftwood and macrame hanger, a rope border and purtied up further with an Opihi shell, coconut and beads. This guy made an appearance at the Forbidden lsland Parking lot sale a few weeks ago but has since found a new home. Mahalo nui loa for da spocks!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Sep 26, 2008 8:33 PM

Chongbro, yer in Hawaii, you got some time, you got talent, why not try some carving???? There's all kinds of cool woods you can snag there.

Why not, it's fun and your designs are a perfect place to begin!

P

great stuff randy. wish you could make it out to vegas.

Cammo- Hey good to hear from ya and thanks for checking out my art. I have tried carving a few times and have a palm log that has been whispering to me. I just need too get in the carving state of mind and get busy.

PDrake- Aloha Perry Nice to hear from you too!. Vegas and I have a strange relationship. That place kicks my wallets ass every time I am there and I don't remember how or why.

So here are few more sketch pad scans of some studies and doodles that will be making their way to becoming something bigger someday soon:

"Eyenapple" tombo brush pen in sketch pad

"Papua New Guinea Shield" tombo brush pen in sketch pad

"Timbuwara figure study" tombo brush pen in sketch pad

"Deep Sea Calling" Another study in my sketch book using tombo brush pens over an ink wash. I may try to add some highlights to this one when I get home tonight.

So a few of these sketches are making their way to becoming paintings so keep an eye or two out. Also, I went and started an account on Etsy.com Where I have a few of my paintings and t-shirts for sale. Etsy is like the ebay of the handmade crafters world and a great way to support artists. Please give my shop a peek if you are so inclined and add me as a favorite. Or if you are an artist and create and account tell them Chongolio sent you. Mahalo Nui Loa for all the support and comments

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Barefoot Bloggin'

[ Edited by: Chongolio 2008-09-30 18:00 ]

T

Wow, is there anything you DON'T/CAN'T do? Love you art work, both the sketches and the ones on Etsy.. But your green tiki, looked more like a ninja turtle head to me. :lol:

Randy!
thanks for the present you sent!
Almost makes me wanna try some tapa painting with it!
You're the BEST!
"Timbuwara figure study" is too funny!
Simple and VERY effective!
Your sketchbook is on FIRE!
the PNG shield id KEEN too!
great texture!
EYENAPPLE!
:lol:
Keeps it up Randy!
Stoked you're in a better place
and the inspiration has arrived in torrents!

C

Mahalo LLT, Glad you liked the little Hawaiian kine paint brush. Let me know if you need more when you start our first tapa. I liked that little Timbura guy too. There are a lot of really cool images over at The Collection to find all kinds of tribal style eye treats To behold.

I been bringing my sketch book everywhere lately. I have got into the mode of doing colored ink washes on the blank pages with no idea of what the final image is going to be. I let it sit for a few day then just start sketching the first thing that comes to mind. Sometimes I surprise my self with what come out of my twisted noodle: Hence this one that I am calling "you're robot is loose again."

This one was a rough sketch that I had done for a logo that I ended up doing the wash and ink as an after thought:

"Cowboy Coffee"

And here is a design that is strictly photoshop tom foolery:

"The Oceanic Slit Gong Symphonia" I may use this design for a t-shirt. But still have some tweakin' to do and not really happy with the "Island Planet Tour" text. The whole design may be a little out there for the tourist taste. I just thought it would be funny to make a shirt to promoting a Slit Gong Symphony's tour of the planet.

C

I spent the weekend in the new studio getting my head straight and the cobwebs cleaned out of my brains. No better way than by getting into the creative groove. I started a bunch of new art pieces, worked out choke character sketches and also put a lot of grey matter grease into how I am going to revive the Coconut Wired series....

Well the last few posts have been Tiki Free and these ones don't fall into the Tiki basket either. But here they are regardless, because if I don't share they stay all locked up in sketch books and no can have that.

"The Black Forest General Donggu" A character study in my sketch book using Tombo brush pens.

"The Multitude of Mushmen Minions" Yet another character study using the brush pens.

So there you have it new characters that have manifested in the Lost-Isle of my mind. Mahalo for looking, comments and inspiration in all its various manifestations. Aloha!

T

OK Chongolio, :o your art, has an awful lot of fungus amongus.. What were you doing with those mushrooms, before you put them on paper? :lol: Just kidding.

C

Tikipaka-No fungus consumption here. Not even the legal shitakes who are the inspiration for the Mushmen.

So here is a tiki I did over the weekend. Seems I have had a thing for food and eating lately.

“The Jungle Feast” Colored india ink, tombo pens on watercolor paper. About the size of a, you guessed it, a sketch pad. You can work up a mean hunger lurkin’ in the jungle!

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Barefoot Bloggin'

CHONGO!
You're workin up my Appetite
for more of these Wonderful pieces!
This Feast and those Mushroom Minions
Kick AZZ!

T

Another great one.. You should start selling your one of a kind Sketches.. Wow, they would get the big bucks. :lol: Now I'm hungry, show us more..

C

LLT- Nothing more I can say but Mahalo for the stokage and I hope all this uploading of art doesn't lead to a tummy ache or tooth decay.

Tikipaka- And Mahalo to you too for the kind word. More art on the way for sure though it will be kinda shroomy again. I hope you still find it tasty. I will be adding the one of a kinds to Esty this week. My only hesitation is that I really would like to have them framed and ready to hang, however they are a non standard size so finding an affordable frame option has been tricky.

Two more to rest ye lid upon. First you got the return of the General Donggu's Mushroom Minions

"Minion Muster at Pana Towers" Ink wash on watercolor paper then fastidiously finessed with the Tombo brush pens and a watercolor pencil. (Mahalo for the tip LLT) The Mushmen captains await their orders.

Next up a quick sketch of some jelly fish off to the Masquerade:

Tombo pens in my sketch book, No more no less.

You know I dig the looks but Mahalo again for courtesy's sake. Have a great weekend all!

I picked up some canvas and laid down some background over the weekend. Not sure what the greenies future holds but this purple one may see some tentacles real soon.

The greenies:

Maybe I paint frogs, avocados and mint patches on these ones.
Fret not I will keep you posted on the progress

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Barefoot Bloggin'

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 347 replies