Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Kahaka's Tiki Lamps

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 483 replies

nice work, kahaka! The lamp maker returneth!
Love the beachcomber feel to the lamps. I could see these hanging in Don the beachcomber or TV's for sho!

where were the pics taken? your bar?

TWO

These lamps are even better in person. Incredible work. If I may be so bold, I will offer an answer to Polynesiac's question: I believe that is Notch's bar they were photographed in. I was just there on Saturday. I could be wrong ( I didn't say I was sober).

[ Edited by: Tai Won On 2009-03-26 21:02 ]

N
NOTCH posted on Fri, Mar 27, 2009 6:32 PM

Yeah, that be me shop there... and the lamp is kick ass!
Kahaka Lamps are truly one of a Kind and hand crafted Masterpiece
=Notch=

K

Say, thanks fellers! All the work people put up on TC is motivation to keep at it. Lots of cool stuff to look at in these creating tiki forums.

Those lamps are simply killer!

Nice Kahaka - glad to see more of your awesome lamps!

Trad'r Bill

I have a couple Kahaka Lamps myself and they are great! Another nice set of lamps!

AMY

K

Sam G., Trad'r B., Queen K... thank ya!

I put these lamps up for sale in the Marketplace. Time to switch up the views in Notch's bar with some fresh lamps! Back to work...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31828&forum=12&0

K

New spin on an old idea... resin netted centered, bamboozled, shelled, torched, stained, glued, nailed, many houred.

Gor-geeeeeeeee-ous!
I'm a huge fan of your lights. Do the shells on the bottom show light when the lamp is lit?
Very inspiring.

K

Thanks Mr. Pupu Pants... your place is super inspiring! I'm always looking forward to an update on it!

The lamp is for aquarama, a TC customer that wants to hard wire it in to his ceiling, so I don't have a pic of it lit yet. I mocked it with a flashlight just to see what light would do, and yeah, it does make those shells light up. Maybe aquarama will post a pic of it when it's all rigged in his place.

Nice spin Woody . Xlnt as always .

Another hit out of the ballpark, Woody!

An absolutely beautiful piece of functional art.

A labor, but a labor of love.

T

Hey KAHAKA, Now that's a real nice one! Beautiful workmanship and a nice old looking authentic piece.
Great job!!

TabooDan

K
KAHAKA posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2009 6:25 PM

Aloha!

I've been making some lamps to bring to Oasis to sell. I should have 6 at least that are around $125 each, wired and ready to go!

I'll be hangin' with 'em in Notch's Ku Bar. See ya there!

Some fine work there, Woody!

I love how all the browns work together in harmony.

I'm sure they'll all have new home before the weekend is over!

I look forward to seeing them!

more cool lamps!!!!!!!!

Amy

beautiful lamps woody! i can't wait to check 'em out.

K

Thanks guys! Might try to crank another one or two out before the show... We shall seeeeeeeeeee (almost wish I wasn't goin' fishin' tummaruh)...

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Sep 9, 2009 9:46 PM

Here's a shot of a lamp I made a while back. It's hanging in my buddy Jamie's tiki bar.
I'll be making more lamps for the Forbidden Island sale in Alameda to make some dough so I can buy some goods from some sweet artists! Yeah!

Saw this on facebook today....very sweet Woody!

If you see Woody's lamps at the FI sale, jump on them quick. It took a couple minutes for people to see them hanging in Kubar at Oasis, but before you knew it they were disappearing quicketysplit. There were a lot of people who were thinking about buying and came back only to be disappointed that the lamps were sold. With all of the work he puts into each lamp, he is almost giving them away with his great prices. Buybuybuy!

B

On 2009-09-10 16:06, Tiki Kaimuki wrote:

It took a couple minutes for people to see them hanging in Kubar at Oasis, but before you knew it they were disappearing quicketysplit.

Rightfully so!! These lights are just AWESOME!!

Wheres mine Woody???

K

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the compliments! It was my first Oasis so I didn't know what to expect sales wise, but I was pretty darned happy with the result. Every dime I made went back to tiki artists... Never seen so much amazing stuff for sale all in one spot... I couldn't resist! Luckily my wife loves the stuff too.

61surf... You're next on the list my brotha!

No worries Chad..I was just busting your balls.Your lamps all well worth the wait.

New pics posted on page 10 featuring red and green bulb varitations I was experimenting
with for Christmas holidays .They look so good I may have to switch the bulbs more often.

K

Happy New Year to Tiki Central! I'm hoping to get busy on more lamps in 2010. I've been pretty lazy, but I've got the itch step it up a notch.

Here's one of my most recent lamps. I made 2 for Smuggler's Cove like this. The first was too big for the A-frame, the 2nd is an exact replica, and seemed to fit a lot better. (The original is for sale if anyone is interested... According to Notch and Martin, it hung in the A-frame for roughly 3 hours, so it definitely has some of the Smuggler's Cove Mana!).

Thanks to Anita from "Married with Dinner" for granting me permission to use her photo...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marriedwithdinner/4157579778/in/set-72157622931498286/

Here's to a solid new year!

Mahalo,
Woody

N
NOTCH posted on Fri, Jan 1, 2010 8:34 PM

That's A fact folks! Kahaka made two lamps for us and the one up for grabs was indeed up at the Cove during the build out, so snag this on up quick before its Gone,Gone,Gone!
And have An Awesome New Year!
Cheers!
Notch

T

Awesome, awesome stuff, Woody! Your lamps are just incredible!

K

Thanks Eric! Good to see ya at the Tikiyaki show. Man, that Islander painting you had there was more than amazin'!

I just finished this one today. Made a run to OA and couldn't wait to get movin' on a new one.

I love the shape of Sepik drums, dig that cool hour glass shape (Babalu, I know you do too!). It's about 22" tall, and 12" at the widest. I think the tapa is Fijian (atleast the parts with the print look Fijian)... the center of the tapa is a nice shade of brown, and the outer edges of the tapa are white with designs, which I trimmed down to triangles. I used the same tapa for the lamp I did for Smuggler's Cove. The ribs on the side are rattan, wrapped with rope and tapa. Had fun with this one.

Mahalo for lookin',
Woody

T

Nice design!!

I would love to be able to "Make a run to OA"

K

Thanks Skip! Well, it's a 5 hour drive, not just down the street like it is for some TC folks! I'd love to have scored all the Kahiki goodies you have, so I guess there's a trade off for everything. Ha.

Sick as always Kahaka - you are a master!

T

Very true!!

I saw a piece in a magazine about an old Samoan lady
that made Tapa.
Wanted to go on vacation there and see how she does it.
Can't be that hard.
Its getting that hand made look of pounding each image into
the cloth, thats the trick.

Love the rattan accents.

K

Hey, we should have a tapa making gathering like the tiki carving "Chops" that TCers have. We could call it a "Beat"... and wear dark shades, berets, recite poetry, and call each other 'cool cats'.

Or not.

I still like the idea of making some tapa, though!

Just about done with another lamp... will post pics later.

T

"The Double-Stuff Oreo of Creativity" :lol:
Maynard G. Krebs would be proud.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2010-02-19 18:54 ]

T

:lol:

K

Oh, wow, that was a gas (and/or gave me some...). Wow to the wee, Skipper. That's just it. I suspect we can lay it out with slightly less bongos and poetry. All that sorta gave me a "I wanna click the stop button" impulse (even my black cat Grandpa is riled up right now... He's more of a Rocket from the Crypt fan. Ha.). Ok, no more shimmy shake, let's just do some shtuff! Pound it out, and they will come (like the Field of Dreams with Kevin Coughsner, but koooler). Let's make some TAPA! Oasis 10?

K

I used up just about the last of the white edges of my Fijian (I think) tapa. Kinda sad. Ya just never when the next good piece like this one will roll around.

This new one is about 18" wide, and about 12" tall. The curved ribs are rattan, the flat pieces are bamboo.

Cheers,
Woody

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2010-02-20 14:01 ]

M

I love my new light! I paired it with one of Tikiskip's fishing float lights.
Thanks, Woody!

K

Wow, you got that one up quick! I think it's already seen more ceiling than floor. Good work... Looks good next to Skip's! Mahalo Stacy!

K

Found some cool baskets at the Goodwill and put them to use. More lamps for Notch's ceiling.

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2010-07-18 08:37 ]

That first one is awesome. How 'bout some more pics of that room?

K

Thanks Big Kahuna! Check out Nacho's shop and tiki bar on this thread. The finished bar pics are on page 2 or 3. His place is bitchin. It's the Friday night hangout for our San Jose crew. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=26252&forum=6&start=15&hilite=notch%20shop

K
KAHAKA posted on Fri, Jun 4, 2010 7:10 PM

Who needs a lamp???

I'm gonna have to unload this one quick because I'm growing attached. Finished it yesterday after about 20 hours worth of work.

Tried to get a good shot of what the sea glass actually looks like, but it didn't capture it all that well. Looks more like chunk resin in plain view.

The bottom ports have sea glass in them too.

The sea glass was fun to use. Lottts of resining and waiting, resining and waiting.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 483 replies