Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Kahaka's Tiki Lamps

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 483 replies

Nice light.
Where is the MM light?

K

Thar it be! So frickin perty. Sorry I didn't post a pic til now... just got it hung last night, but got wrapped up with Bay Area baseball. Go Giants and A's!!!!!!

Thanks again Derek!!!

K

Triplets are in the oven. One was born yesterday. The other 2 will see light soon, and then another set of triplets of a different species will be delivered. The stork will take them off to Kauai sometime after Christmas.

Cheers!!!!!
Woody

T
K
KAHAKA posted on Sat, Dec 8, 2012 1:12 PM

4-10, bud goody!

M

Love the baby pics! Can't wait to see the next set.

Your lamps are beautiful creations. You live so close to us. In the new year you should visit. Wendy

Those look great! Can't wait to see them in person.

K
KAHAKA posted on Sun, Dec 9, 2012 6:29 PM

Thanks guys. Wendy, I'd really like to see your place someday!

Here are the triplets. Now to get busy on the next set.

Cheers!
Woody

Just let us know when to expect you. Cheers, Wendy and Dan

awesome work

T

Nice lights by the way.
Love the way you do the Tapa on these.
Need to do more with Tapa, I can't bring myself to cut it.
It's like cutting up a Picasso and making a collage with the parts.:)

TIKISKIP: Maker of TIKI bar lighting, Let me make one for you.

K

Word.

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2012-12-14 16:24 ]

HT

On 2012-12-14 09:00, tikiskip wrote:
Nice lights by the way.
Love the way you do the Tapa on these.
Need to do more with Tapa, I can't bring myself to cut it.
It's like cutting up a Picasso and making a collage with the parts.:)

TIKISKIP: Maker of TIKI bar lighting, Let me make one for you.

I know how you feel, Skip. But I found a supplier of cheap, modern tapa, that I'm not broken up about cutting. Maybe that would help.

On 2012-12-08 12:42, tikiskip wrote:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43535&forum=2&6

???

These lamps are going to steal the show!!!

K

I don't know about all that, Ben, but I'm honored to be a part of it. My Uncle David grew up on Kauai, and lives in Lihue near his Mom, who is now 106 (born and raised on Kauai). He wrote a book a few years back about the Coco Palms, which was mentioned in this thread here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27511&forum=1&hilite=coco%20palms
He was an extra in South Pacific and palled around with Mitzi Gaynor back during the filming. I got extra excited when I saw that you're including some Coco Palms elements in the build out. Seems meant to be. Mahalo plenty for the kind words!

K
KAHAKA posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2013 8:17 PM

My Grandpa's first wife Anna died at 106 in Lihue on Tuesday with my Uncle David and Aunt Marion by her side, just as these lamps leave for Tiki Iniki in Princeville. I was hoping to be able to visit her and other family members on the next visit to Kauai after Tiki Iniki had opened. These lamps are dedicated to her.

Cheers,
Woody

M

wonderful stuff as always...

sorry to hear of your loss. :(

W

Woody, I'm sorry for your loss too. Those are fantastic lamps.

Chris

Your lamps are a beautiful tribute for her. It would touch her heart that you showed this love. Wendy

M
mp posted on Tue, Jan 8, 2013 10:48 PM

Anna would be proud Woody! Excellent lamps once again.

K

Thanks you all. She was a great lady. She's in a pic on page 366 of the Coco Palms book with my Aunt Marion, Uncle David, and Grace Buscher Guslander that managed the hotel for many years. Here's the pic:

Here are a few lamps I'm working on to help pay for my maiden voyage to the Mai Kai in April. I can't explain how freakin' excited I am. These will be for sale when they're done:

Mahalo!
Woody

K

Forgot to give due props to my pal Notch for supplying the carved pieces on the box shaped lamp! I split 'em to create space for the resin center parts. T'anks braddah!!

T

Your lamps and work are unmistakable. Great job as always. Anna will watch over them.

I really like that wood-framed style. The others, well they are just you're normal out-of-the-park awesome!

-Trad'r Bill

K

Thanks guys! You make some darned nice lamps yourselves!

I need to finish these things... Waiting for the resin to dry is like, well, waiting for resin to dry. Takes a lot longer during the colder seasons. Hurry up spring!

RH

Those are some very, very fine lamps. Outstanding work, Sir!

Beautiful lamps! I'm so sorry about your loss, too bad you didn't get to visit her but she would be proud of your work, it's fantastic!

I'm going to go to Tiki Iniki in August when I'm on vacation in Hawaii and I'm super excited!

Sorry for your loss, you are keeping the flames of their legacy alive in the wonderful work you do. Seriously beautiful lamps.

K

Mahalo for the kind words! Tiki Iniki is gonna be somethin' with Bamboo Ben at the helm of the bamboozling.

Here are pics of the latest lamps, completed. The boxy one is spoken for, but the pointy number is for sale. PM me if you're interested! It's hard to see in the pics, but the bottom of the lamp with the pointy shells is purple and has little green sea glass pieces in there. The shells glow purple slightly from the resin that seeped inside them.

Mahalo!
Woody

M
mp posted on Sun, Mar 10, 2013 9:57 PM

Amazing Woody! Again.

K
KAHAKA posted on Tue, May 7, 2013 9:49 PM

Aloha!

TC member Forgotten Tikiman requested a custom lamp, for which he chose elements from some lamps I've done before. Here's the finished product. Fun project!

Mahalo Steve!
Woody

N

Hats off to you my friend!
Thanks for all the support for designing beautiful lamps for all the tiki bar build outs that I work on.
Mucho Maholos.
Cheers.
Notch

Awesome lamps! I really admire your work.

Really nice work!

Some amazing talent there.

Dale

C

OMG, the blue seaglass ones! Amazing colour.

K

Thanks guys. I'm excited to try out some new styles this summer and play around with some resins and carvings. Lots of IOUs to do, then time to get ready for Tiki Oasis!!

Here are a few I finished this week.

MAHALO!
Woody

Man, Kahaka, just when I think you've made the best lamp ever, you make another one to top it! Glad to hear that your lamps are hanging at many prestigious tiki bars and home tiki spaces!

Do you keep any on-hand, or are they mostly commission pieces?

Really, Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Nice work!

This thread should be made into a book. Your lamps are probably the best that this planet has ever seen. Totally terrific, Wendy

K
KAHAKA posted on Fri, Jun 7, 2013 9:57 AM

Wendy, I'll take compliments like that all day. How can that be topped? You're the best!

Polynesiac braddah! Mahalo plenty. I don't usually have any on hand unless I prepping for Oasis. I owe several to my buddies right now, so I'm gonna get going on those this summer. I like IOUs because then I get to try out new styles, and my pals have to take what they get! Haha.

Atomictikipunk!! You are really, really, really, really nice! Cheers!

Second that motion Woody .Your lamps are to notch !

Mad skills with those lamps.

• Dale
K

Mahalo!!!

Here's a new lamp with some resin fishes on the sides for my pals, The Notebooms. They need to post new pics of their outdoor hut because it's even more insane than their most recent pics show in their thread under Home Tiki Bars. Get on it, Scott!

It's kinda hard to see, but I alternate orange and blue-green resin in the parts of the fish. I also sank small green sea glass rocks into the resin. This one does not meet TikiSkip's lightweight standards by any means. It's about 12 lbs.

Cheers,
Woody

K

This is the 4th lamp I've finished this summer, on the 4th day of July. Happy 4th, ya'll.

An IOU for Nacho:

Cheers,
Woody

Awesome lamps!!! I bet Notch is STOKED to get that one!!!

This one is the beez-neez too:

Always love seeing your lamps!!!

Just the good stuff man! keep it up!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 483 replies