Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rodetiki's stuff, Another sketch pg. 22 10/20/05

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies

Rodeo, your yard's gonna look great. What style tikis will the ends be?

Looking good, rodeotiki! That's right, put those tikis to work... Let 'em make themselves useful and hold up a bench instead of just standing there... :wink:

Thanks everyone, comments from such talented artist like yourselves inspires me.

heres a couple of new shots.

detail on the edge

first carving started. A really bad angle shot.

Thanks for checking it out.

T

Hey, nice bench! I did one just like that for a surf shop in Nor Cal last year!

The bench looks great Rodeo makes me wanna kick off the slippahs and take some time to sit in the sun. The color came out real nice too.

Chongolio

The insperation for my bench came from that pic of tiki tony's. I didnt realize it was his.
I hope its cool with him that I made one too.

Well the wife went out for girls night. And instead of cleaning the garage I got bored. So a couple hours later and some scrap material heres what I came up with. My first attempt at a sign.

And I dont know why I started a new thread just for my bench

Thanks for looking.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-05-13 22:38 ]

H

Pretty cool. Its better than watcing crap TV

Maybe thicker bamboo would stand out more?

T

Looks great! And if you clean like I do the wife would of still nit picked it!

Here is my latest attempt .

Its just under 6 ft tall and is going in my backyard when done. I am going to attempt a detailed headdress on this one.

To once again try and combine function and tiki , I am going to drill a hole thru the back of his mouth and run a piece of copper pipe. With a fitting on the bottom to attach the garden hose and a sprinkler head afixed at the top in his mouth.
Once done he will be able to entertain the kids and water my grass at the same time.

Thanks for looking and any CC is welcomed.

nice start again R-T...but you better rethink
that idea of running a hose through it to
water the lawn...that will only mean more
grass mowing...less tiki!

Damn Rodeo that's gonna be wicked! Post pics as work progresses... I've been tempted to pick up the chisels again and I need a refresher!

You've dug into the Pole Farm stash. It looks like he's going to be a happy dude.

B

AllRight! He's lookin great already. Another fresh tiki start for TC'rsCan't wait to see the folow-up pic's on this guy.

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 18, 2005 7:09 AM

Cool. Can't wait to see more pics in progress

Very cool so far, rodeotiki.

Oh I love him!
Fantastic Rodeo, I can't wait to see how he turns out!

-Tw

K

lookin good RT. Whats the diameter about 18 inches? Looks like a fat one.

Thanks everyone , I get inspired everytime I read a thread here or see what everyone else is upto. This guy is just under 20 inches on the top and tapers down to 18.
Must have been the top or bottom end of a larger pole.
More pics to come soon..

They just keep getting better! Nice start!

That cedar log will be sweet smellin' and sweet lookin'! I like the sprinkler idea. I also have some vague plan in the back of my mind to run a gas line up through a tiki so flames could shoot out the top of his head.

Post lots of pix, don't keep us in suspense...

A-A

A sprinkler tiki! Once again someone has taken an art form several centuries old and found something new to do with it.

Looks great and a fun idea! Can't wait to see a photo of your yard with all your work in it. Calgary's very own South Pacific oasis!
I second 'Aron's Akua'....photos, photos!

R

Well after much screwing around and taking care of other projects around the house I have finally been able to get back to carving.

Here is a progress shot of my latest carving. Since this photo I have done more work on the face and head dress.

Thanks for looking . More pics to come soon
And thanks to everyone for your replies. It really helps motivate and inspire me.

Hey rodeotiki- I'm liking this guy! That expression on his face is priceless too.

Okay, not a brief hiatus - you were just holding out on us! Great to see more of your work in progress.

8T

Superb. Great size and expression. The hands look awesome. Can't wait to see this one finished! Keep on it.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 10:56 PM

cool little fellow you get there. Nice design

B

Hey Rodeo, 'bout time you updated us with pic's of your latest! He's really looking Good. Love the hands and the expression also. Thats one BIG Log. Gan't wait to see more progress shots of this Bad Boy!

O
Octane posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2005 4:09 PM

looking good, nice full tummy on him, good expression as other have said, and good detail. Please keep us updated, i love seeing shots threw out the whole process.

nice rodeo! I like him!
glad you were able to do some carving.
-Tw

I can already tell that this guy likes to party. He's really looking good.

He looks six feet tall! I like how you did the fingers. Nice.

I've been on and off this computer all day, you all have me hooked and I'm getting nothing done....LOL's... Love your tiki....I would love to have one like that in my backyard ; )......

F

Now that is the look of a tiki who has just polished off a bottle of rum and is about to get into some mischief! Nice work!

Thanks everyone for your comments , they help inspire me.
Finkdaddy, I am thinking of adding a rum bottle into his grip now.
After dealing with flood clean up for the last week i finally found some time to carve. I didnt have the energy to lift the big guy onto the workmates so I started something new.

With Sams permission I decided to carve Wong Tiki. Sam's incredible clean lines and style made it a fun carving session.
Just have to add the teeth and a final sand and stain and Wong will be done.

I tryed to capture it as best I could to Sams artwork

Thanks for looking.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-06-18 17:56 ]

B

Cool beans, Rodeo. Sam's work is inspirational, isn't it? Lookin good in 3-D.

[ Edited by: beachin on 2005-06-18 18:01 ]

Hey rodeotiki- This guy is looking downright FINE!! You're going to end up making 2D Wong Tiki look like a slouch. You've sure captured his demeanor. I couldn't think of a better compliment I could get either. Thanks!! Can't wait to see him when he's done!!!!!!!...

Thanks too for the kind words, beachin.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-06-19 10:44 ]

My last comment meant to read that when the tiki is done, don't waste any time--- post him right away!!!!

B

I Dunno Rodeo, theres sumthin wong with this one(couldn't help myself) Really it is looking great. What size is it again. The previous one is coming along super well too!. I know you have other stuff to do, but cut all that out and concentrate more on carving, we just can't wait! C'mon, step it up here.

Well??

S

I've just been looking over this whole thread. I can't believe how far you've come in under 1 year [8-2004 to 6-2005 right?] Amazing progress, man!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 19, 2005 8:54 PM

cool dude. Cant wait to seem him stained up good and proper

Hey, nice job, RT. Sam's work is very carvable, isn't it? It's kind of a cool thing to carve a painting! Looking forward to a nice completion!

Aaron

Rodeo,

Great stuff.

Try taking a V tool to make some surface cuts in his face to simulate the cracked grain in a peice of wood. That would really capture the aged essence of sams tiki

All Stained up.
I am still undecided wether or not to varnish him. I am leaning towards varnsish.

Thanks MM for the tip on the V-chisel. I probably could have added more.

Thanks to everyone for thier advice and critiques. Thanks to Sam again for the go ahead. This was lots of fun.

Wong Live Wong!

B

Actually there's nothing Wong with it. Nice job Wodeotiki.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2005-06-23 11:40 ]

Nice Wong, Rodeo!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies