Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rodetiki's stuff, Another sketch pg. 22 10/20/05

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies

THis poly is great, thanks for asking aaron!

Rodeo - I dig the marquesian look of that mask, very cool, very cool...

Here are a couple of shots of my first masked all finished. I took these last week before we left for Vegas and didnt get a chance to post them. I hung him on a small wall at the bottom of the staircase. He'll stay there for now, unless someone wants him. Thanks for the kind words before, I am working on another mask and still detailing the cannibal.

That one really cleaned up nice! Most excellent!

I really like that mask! Unfortunately my purse is a little light these days, I'll just have to wait 'till after christmas for a rodeotiki original :(

Nice work, keep it up!

Great Stuff Rodeo! Can't wait to see the cannibal!

Well today I picked up some tools for the first time in just over 2 weeks. Hope to have this guy done and staining started this weekend. Let me know what you think.

coming on great, mate
its good to see the "work in progress shots"
keep up the carving & the photos.

cheers
BoB

Thanks BoB , I wish i could carve as nice as you paint.

I wish I could paint as nice as you carve, RT. :)

How's the staining coming? That tiki has a canadian tan.

I likey! You must be done by now...
Pics Pics!

I made this little guy in 3 hours , not a lot of detail but i used a chainsaw for most of it. I think I am going polyuerthane it,

"A idle mind is the devils gokart"

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-11-30 13:37 ]

Nice Tikis and I like the placement...
overlooking the stairs...looks like your
tikis are doing the same thing that mine
are....moving out of the tiki bar and
taking over the rest of the house!

it is amazing to see the progression from your first pic through the latest, I like them all, but I found the masks to be really neat, I'm gonna have to try my skills (or lack of!) on one soon! Thanks for taking the time to show us yer work!

I decided to post my most recent stuff , I was on the bottom of pg 4 in creating. The hardest thing I have trouble with is staining. Anyways here they are, Any feedback is greatly welcomed.

Hey rodeotiki. I love the kitschyness and 2-tone. Keep up the fine work!

I love 'em both. Glad to see you're back at the top of page one!

Looks great Rodeo. It also looks quite warm outside...

B

Looks Good RT. I know, staining is always the hardest part cause you never rally know how it's gonna turn out unless you do a trial stain on a piece of throw away wood. You can also use a stain sealer or Pre-stain sealer thet will make the stain a bit more consistent. But, no matter, you are doing some nice stuff, keep it up.

Good Stuff. What kind of wood are they made from?

very cool stuff rodeo. I like how they turned out!

wHat's that little guy holding in his mouth?

After a few hours here and there over 4 days , heres what I got.
I am thinking about adding a tapa band around the bottom and the top. Also thinking of dishing out the top of his head to hold stuff (like keys, etc). Still have more to carve and then the sanding.
Let me know what you think good or bad. Opinions are always welcomed

Thanks, Rodeo.

Heres some new pics . Almost ready for stain. Any ideas ? I was thinking of cherry.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-03-11 12:25 ]

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-03-15 14:59 ]

B

This is a Mean looking tiki Rodeo. Sharp detail, you are realy stepping up the ladder.

I've gotta agree, that is looking too cool. I like the mouth, teeth, all of it. Nice combination. Sand it up good & post some shots when it's done.

I think this one is the best yet! I love the mouth. Make sure to post the results when yr done!

Maybe it's the photo, but this one already has a nice lived-in look. Like it washed up on the beach.

I can't wait to see how you finish it.

Thankyou everyone for your kind words
I hope to get him done soon, The wood was aged from sitting out in the elements for awhile, I dont want to stain this guy to dark. Any suggestions?

Do you have any scrap material from the same log that you can test? I'd try straight varnish and see what it looks like.

Also, I think the Paint Dept. people at Home Depot or Lowes will open some cans if you want to see what a particular stain's gonna look like before you buy. Just start with "natural" or some other light color & see how it looks. Or go darker from there if you like.

They will usually let you test the stain on some of those free wooden stir sticks or if you have some wood scraps they'll give them a dip instead.

B

Waiting on the next one RT. I bet itz coming any time now??

That looks so nice. I love the mouth, which to me always makes or breaks a tiki. Very cool.

I'm always partial to lighter stains. To me they bring out the grain without hiding it or hiding any of the carving detail.

Can't wait to see it done!

I decided to stain the teeth too. They didnt look right left lighter. I also dished out the top of his head. I like the idea of functional tiki.

Still have to varnish it.

Here it is with varnish applied .

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-04-01 14:11 ]

Rodeo, she's a beaut' & I like the tiki too!

Really, it looks like your staining has improved quite a bit. Did you use that stain preconditioner stuff the Benz suggested? The detail & features on this tiki is really cool. Is the 6 footer coming up next?

A-A

nice one rodeo, that stain adds a ton of character to the tiki. I'm a big fan of grain patterns.

well done!

is this one going to that store too? or is it for home decoration?

Cool work! He's got a kind of "dark glasses" look to him that makes him unique with lots of character.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-04-03 21:45 ]

hmmm, i checked your work on your first tiki rodeo. from the beginning sketch to the finished product..looks good, and i agree, i really like the stain. gives even more depth and character. you should keep going with this. i think you are developing a great talent. and the eyes are different, i like that. you made it your own.

B

Defitanely a keeper Rodeo. Stain and finish techniques have Really improved a LOT. The girl looks pretty real too, what kind of stain did you use on her??

Looks great Rodeo! Love the finish, the mouth...nice work overall!

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Benz- no stain on the little one thats is unfortunatly natural, my kids are pasty white like me.

Here is a little 2 footer I made last night for a friend to give his dad as a b-day gift. I put on the back "to dad from ty and 50 years young" I hope his dad likes it. There is also a hollowed out spot for a citronella candle( since this is for a deck)

Thanks again

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2005 8:33 PM

I would have never thought the back would look soo good. Everyone would have carved in and you carved out. I save the out for speacil cermanics but its easier to add letters then carve nice dimensional letters in. Thats clay and this is not. Cool.

I'd love to get that as a gift - the dad should be pleased! Oh, by the way, my birthday's in a couple of months..... :)

Thanks for the kind words. I got word that this was a very well liked birthday gift.

Here's my newest project: Tiki bench

Its just something fun I threw together for my kids to sit on in the yard. Still have to carve the ends and then lots of sanding and staining.
Let me know what you think.

good start on the bench rodeotiki...
can't wait to see the finished product...
don't let the kids drink rum or they'll
tip off the backside.

[ Edited by: congatiki on 2005-04-19 11:24 ]

B

Looks great, cann't wait 'til it's finished. Neat idea. I'm sure even the grown kids will love it.

Thats what Im talking about.... Intertwining tiki into otherwise useful home/garden furnishings.

Sweet. I might have to steal that idea. I need a bench by my pond. Did you use 2x4s for the seat?

Thanks for the kind words. It really helps keep me going.

I really like the idea of functional Tiki.

Raff, I used 2x2's and then screwed them together with .5x1 spacers. You could use a 2x10 also.

heres some more pics ...

T

Should be great when uoi are done!

neat-o mosquit-o, rode-o! That's gonna be cool when you're all done!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies