Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rodetiki's stuff, Another sketch pg. 22 10/20/05

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies

FA

Dude! He rOcKs!!!!

Great job, he looks great do you have any other photo's?

Damn that's sweet, RT! So that's what happens when blood is offered??!! I like the whole layout. The face around the eyes reminds me of a chopper style cross. The board looks really clean too.

K

great design..Thats one hell of a tiki,cant wait to see it finished...

Hey rodeo...I was just down at a surf shop in Hermosa (ET "just longboards") and noticed that they had a very small resin version of one sorta similiar to yours. I think I've seen it on the surfing trophies too? Is that where you go the idea? I think yours is TOTALLY AWESOME with the north woods rodeo distinctive stylin'!! and he looks pretty big too- about 2 feet? or bigger?

is this one for you or is it goin' to a surf shop?

Nice work, looking forward to your next update

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2005-10-11 19:56 ]

TG

Saaaahhhwwweeeetttt!!!! Nice job Rodeo. I have been asked to carve one similar for a surf contest trophy next year. Nice to see one taking shape from start to finish. I'm sure it won't turned out as nice as yours, but I have to do it. Looking good, Pics, Pics, Pics..........

G.

Woah he's looking freakin' GREAT!

How the heck did I miss this recent photo?

-Tw

He's coming along fine, rodeo! I'll be looking forward to the finished piece..

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 12, 2005 2:10 PM

NICE! I agree with everyone else...we want more pics! Also, is he going to be flat faced or will you round him out?

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 12, 2005 6:02 PM

Man that guys a killer rodeo! Cant wait to see more pics.

Cant wait to see that hot rod tiki either... :)

I get a kick out of the "belly-laughing" tiki in the
background....looking forward to seeing both of 'em
finished....do they get jealous when you spend your time
with the "other one?"

Thanks everyone for the super kind words .

Ben, Raffer . I am just trying to keep up to you guys . The bar has been set pretty high here lately.

Flacookz, Surprisingly it isnt top heavy at all. Its just under 12 inches at the base in diameter.

Polynesiac, The idea did come from a old surfing trophy. I believe there is a pic in BOT and I saw one online somewhere once.

TikiG , thanks for the comps. Who ever wins your surf trophy will be one lucky dude. Im just trying to catch up with your skills.

Sam , Tikiwahine , Herby , Fezape, Gman , Kirby, AA and everyone else Thanks.

Here is a little update from the other days session.

Rodeo that tiki really does it for me, if'n ya know what I mean.

Lemme know what you intend to sell him for, if you feel that you'd like to sell him that is.

nice one, Rodeo... i was just looking at that one in the BOT last night..

RODEO-
I love the Tiki, and the board is so cool!!
Pictures, pictures we need more pictures!!
Great work
Wes

B

Awesome Rodeo. Love the board, love the white tips, and love the carving. He is COOL. I think you have a supreme Winner here.

great work Rodeo owesome stuff.

RT....nice work!! I'm really liking this piece!!

Raffertiki,

Nice board!!

You know, high end wooden surfboards sell for serious bucks to collectors over here on the W. coast. Great tiki, I love the way you are always striving for something new and different it keeps things interesting.

Will

Rodeo-
You have been working hard lately and it shows!! Your stuff keeps getting better and better!! Thank you for sharing your progress with us. The new Surf Tiki Kicks Ass!!! It's cool that you even included the fin in the back.
Later,
Spermy

Rodeo,

Sorry for calling you Raffertiki, I just can't seem to keep it straight today. You are both excellent carvers.

Will

Rodeo, you're cranking your bar way up. It's going to be tough keeping up with you.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone.
Here is my first sketch on paper, usually its on a log.
Nothing seroius but I thought I would share. I am itching to try painting something on some canvas.

B

Rodeo, Thats pretty wild for a First sketch. I'm Envious cause I can't even draw stick peeps and here you are doing this, And Carving Too! Damn

Rodeo, we've never seen this side of your art. The sketch is way cool! I like the bug-eyed hot rod dude near the bottom... and the Gambino influenced tiki in the middle. I can relate to that one!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 16, 2005 2:58 PM

Cool sketch man, its pretty wild. I thoroughly encourage you to have a go at some proper painting. Awesome

Nice Carving Rodeo! I like the ink sketch too! Lemme know if you wanna have a canvas.

Thanks for the comments guys.
I have had a wicked head cold for the last week. I have no energy to carve or think about carving.

In the mean time here is another ink drawing.

I give you CARVE-O-TRON 2005 . A half monster,half robot sent to deforest the world and carve a army of tiki

Slacks , I got a small canvis but no idea where to start for painting it. Any tips from the painters out there.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2005-10-19 13:04 ]

8T

Hey Rodeo, Your robot stole G-mans chainsaw!

B

Hey Rodeo, I Need one of those. Does he come with his own tools or do I have to let him use mine? Does he already know how to carve, or do I have to teach him? Does he need to be oiled and recharged often and how long is his warranty? Nice job on this guy Rodeo.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 19, 2005 7:51 PM

Cool sketch rodeo!

Painting ideas? How do you come up with ideas for carving? I reckon the process is the same...

1. Sit around, drink multiple Mai Tais, flick through the BoT, and old creating threads on TC. Exotica in the background always helps. Use google image search and punch in "tiki art".
  2. Somewhere in this process, ideas will come to paint. Scribble down a quick sketch so you dont lose it. Keep drinking/flicking until you are A - too pissed to hold a pen, or B - got a plethora of ideas.
  3. Chose the best ideas and paint em! Usually it is reccomended to become slighlty sober to assist in the painting process, but this is not always neccessary.
  4. Once the paint has dried, post your pics for us to ogle and celebrate!

Have a go!

W

I like it he reminds me a little of Plankton...who I adore!

are you looking for technical tips?
( NOT that I am an expert.)

if you cover the back of your sketch with graphite ( use a soft pencil like a 2B-4B) you can transfer the sketch onto the canvas by going over it with a hard point...like a pencil or pen..alternativly if you want to keep your sketch pristine, use tracing papaer..trace your image , you can leave out details, the rub the graphite on the back of that and tape it to your canvas and again trace over the lines with a hard point to transfer it to the canvas.
there's also graphite paper if you can get it.

well thats how I like to transfer...but again I'm not sure if thats the kind of information your looking for.are you wanting painting tips per se' ?

F
foamy posted on Thu, Oct 20, 2005 1:19 PM

Nice work rodeo. It's slightly bizarre and I like that.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 20, 2005 4:52 PM

Rodeo,

I'm diggin' the tribal Gman chainsaw on your robot. Nice job.

-Gman

Lookin' good, rodeo - I like the campy, 1950s feel to it! I hope you feel better too...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies