Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rodetiki's stuff, Another sketch pg. 22 10/20/05

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies

Hi, RT.

Each one's lookin better & better. I'm really looking forward to seein' that full body tiki. It's so fascinating to learn a little more every time you put chisel to wood. I really love that photo, it's cool how you captured the flames jetting from that guy's mouth. Definitely worth framing.

Aloha,

Aaron

T

Very nice RT, like the design, grain came out great.

That really is one cool tiki!

http://www.samgambino.com

B

Boy, this is Slow.
The Final product is Much better than a 3rd or 10th carving. You are learning Well. Keep it up. Now lets see the next one. Full body? OK>

R

Well I know I said #4 would be a full body, But the wood dictated different.
So I started this guy instead...

This one has some flames on the back and I may turn his nose into flames , Kinda a hotrod tiki... still alot to do but I thought I would share..

Here is shot of #2 , he sits by the garage door and we throw keys and everything in the top of his head.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-10-01 21:21 ]

That is sweet, RT! Nice design, very nice side profile. And the flames are gonna look really custom. More progress pics please!

Aaron

lookin good rodeo!

I dig those flames...seems to be common thread among your tikis...:)

R

So here is some progress, doesnt look much. But I have been sanding like mad. I am torn about the eyes. Wondering if I should carve the flames into, or carve around. Or if should pinstipe them on later or leave them off all together. Kinda does have a theme going.
Let me know what you think.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-10-05 16:59 ]

T

What a FLAMER! j/k man, looking REALLY sweet though, I like your design touches RT.

T

i think carving them in would look good.

I agree. Carve them in or you will sacrifice some of the eye protrusion, which is looking good right now. It is gonna be pretty tough to get the "carved in" flat surface smooth, though (tight spot). I agree, sanding kinda sucks. You can spend hours and it doesn't look much different (in pics). I think up close and when you finish the piece, it will make a huge difference though. I'm also spending hours & hours sanding mine right now.

Carve the flames! Carve the flames! Do it! Do it!

R

Hey, thanks for the advice guys. Heres how it looks so far. You were right Aaron about not wanting to lose the eye profile. Now back to sanding.

Nice choice! The eyes look great. This will be a pretty unique design.

B

YES< You made the right choice. The Knot looks cool on the nose too, Cool.

Thanks guys for the kind words
I decided to paint the insides of the eyes red. It really makes them show at a distance. I am going to sand and and then restain one more time then on with the varnish. In the meantime I started #5

this is a great thread... "The Birth of a Tiki"

(Hmmm... could have made a great Cecil b Demille flix)

[ Edited by: Beatnikini on 2004-10-11 11:02 ]

Great eyeballs-o-fire, nice job on the tiki peepers. The whole thing looks pretty killer. Next time you have your camera out Can you get a shot similar to the one you took before the stain. I would like to see a close up of the painted eyes and a little more profile if you have the time and gumption that is.
Thanks for the post and pics,

Chongolio

M

My first log. You folks are so artistic and this stuff is hard. How'd I do? Just glad to have the spirit in the yard. Only 24 more to go before I can get more.

[ Edited by: McTiki on 2004-10-12 09:11 ]

[ Edited by: McTiki on 2004-10-12 09:28 ]

[ Edited by: McTiki on 2004-10-12 09:30 ]

Hi McTiki,

Number 1: I'm sure your intentions are right on, but you really should start your own new string with your pics. Folks will be glad to jump in and help you out. That way your responses won't be all mixed up with RT's.

Number 2: Your images are not gonna work for most people with this link. Here's a link to how to get your images imbeded properly here at TC:

http://www.tikicentral.com/faq.php#embed

I'd really like to see your first Tiki, So start a new string, ask all of the right questions, and keep posting as you go.

Good Luck!

A-A

WE NOW RETURN TO RT's FLAMING TIKI GOD...

On 2004-10-11 13:12, Chongolio wrote:
Great eyeballs-o-fire, nice job on the tiki peepers. The whole thing looks pretty killer. Next time you have your camera out Can you get a shot similar to the one you took before the stain. I would like to see a close up of the painted eyes and a little more profile if you have the time and gumption that is.

Chongolio

Here ya go , Thanks again for the kind words

Hey Rodeo,

Nice work with number 4! I quite like the eyes. It does give it unique character.
Also, number 5 looks very promising...a full body cannibal tiki! I love the cannibals... (I very much wanna make a cannibal soon too!).

B

I'm just reading posts to try to get a feel for this new community. I wanted to address something that was said about starting out copying and then establishing a style.

I've been making tiki mugs for two years now. When I first started out, all I had was the Book of Tiki to go on. I took elements of tikis, went to the sketch pad, and added my own style.

After two years, I can no longer see other's work in my own. I have also gotten a feel for the type of nose I like to draw, the look I want to see in the eyes, and what mouths will "speak" to me.

I'm in agreement about respect for other artists, though. It's really hard to "copy" other artists, even out of respect or training, as it just feels so WRONG. Also, there's the challenge to add a fresh angle to the art form.

I love what I do, because not too many people handbuild ceramics anymore, and I can get personal with each new personality I create. I keep the original of every piece I made, and find myself talking to them (yes I AM crazy) as I attempt to make duplicates! My agent thinks I'm a nut, but it keeps my work real.

In this world of copyright law being violated at every step, it's nice to see the respect for artisans on the internet. It brings a tear to my eye.

Good luck with the carving. Can't wait to see how the next ones turn out. (I tried carving plaster once - ONCE - and don't think I'll be doing that again! Think I'll stick with clay!)

[ Edited by: beachin on 2004-10-12 00:44 ]

B

It gives new meaning to "The fire in his eyes..." Looks good, can't wait to see more.
Beachin, Welcome to TC, with your outlook, it seems you will fit in Nicely here.

Well, I got a little bored tonight and heres the results. I have a even greater respect for benzart and tikitony for thier small carvings. That is a hotwheels for size comparison. Or it could be one giant tiki.

B

Man That log's gotta be 6 feet around. How dod you stand it up? Aren't you afraid it will fall on your car? Or is that your Matchbox car? Ha. Pretty neat. Smaller Does make a difference.

No really it's all your fault, If you never said the kind things you do . I never would have gotten so hooked on this . Oh sure i take some of the blame. But my garage is getting full and the 10x20 shed in our yard is stocked full.

Thanks to everyone for their encouragment , Its trully the most fun I have had in a long time.

If I have to explain it, You still wouldnt get it.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-10-14 13:04 ]

T

RT I love that pic, but where is the rest of the tribe man? And just think, there is a tiki in everyone of those logs just waiting for you to bring him to life.

Now that's funny, Rodeo. You've gone full-tilt tiki. Pretty soon you'll living in a bamboo hut...

If I show up with anymore wood , my wife may make me live in a bamboo hut.

Keep it up! Carving is a lot of fun isn't it. Once you get started, you just can't stop, you start seeing tikis everywhere; stains on the cement, water spots on the window, patterns in fabric, and on and on. Carving the necklaces got me better at the big stuff, since I got to work out designs quicker. aloha

Hi Rodeo -

Great to finally see a picture of you with your family. Your tikis are improving by leaps and bounds. They look great. It looks like tremendous fun too.

Sorry we haven't connected on Shout lately. Are your leads to those old Calgary tiki locations paying off yet?

Keep up the good work!

Sabu

Here is number 4 . Finally finished with 4 coats of polyurethane. He may be shipping out soon to a new home at a surf/skate shop here. It would be the first that I have sold. I didnt really want to sell any yet as I am still learning and feel a I have a long way to go. The guy that wants him is stoked and wants to see more.

Congratulations, rodeotiki. It's a great feeling to create something and to know that others are getting pleasure or enjoyment from it. May this be the first of many you sell.

Congrats, RT. Don't spend it all at one hardware store. That one really came out nice. The grain has a cool Witco look.

Aaron

Thanks Sam and Aaron , you guys are too kind. Well I decided to give the full body a rest and started playing with a odd shape of wood laying around. Heres what has developed so far:

Let me know what you think? Any feedback is good as I am still learning. Thanks

rodeotiki...love the dark tiki with the
big mouth and red eyes...super job...

T

RT, bro I like the look of that mask man, I think we need to talk about a trade for that one, I think he is going to be a prize!

RT, you're a wild man! You're so prolific. I like the mask. Your style is definitely progressing. But don't put No. 5 aside for too long. I like the looks of that one & want to see how it comes together.

A-A

Still a long way to go till the stain comes out. Just thought I would share a progress shot.

T

drooooooooooooooool, droooooooooooooooool

LOVE your tikis rodeotiki, That last guy is just fantastic!

Mahalo for posting!

Great going, rodeotiki! I can't wait to see it done.

Thanks Toa, Tikiwahine and Sam for the kind words . I hope to start laying on the poly in the next couple of days .
I made a bracket across the back to hang it by. Hereswhat i got so far....

This is definately looking good.

B

Definately looking good. The bracket was a good Idea too, why not show us a picture since ways to hang masks are always needed.
More more more???

How's the poly coming, RT?

SF

Rodeotiki, looks great. I think it would look even better hanging a thatched wall. Very Cool!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies