Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rodetiki's stuff, Another sketch pg. 22 10/20/05

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was Benzart and AA that inspired me to try this carving.

AA- to make the cut outs I drilled a small hole and used a air powered saw ( meant for autobody work) to cut it out. I drew it out on the back of the carving and then used a chisel to clean it up. It is not exactly even on both sides.

Thanks again and I will get more progress shots soon.

H

Some nice work you got happening there Rodeo. The masks are very cool, that redo look awesome, and that new one shows some promise too. Unusual to see a head only tiki with a headrest too. Cool work dude

Got some more of the roughing out done .
I was thinking that once it was stained and varnished to add some twine around parts of the headdress. Still not sure about it.
What do you guys think?

Thanks

That's looking awesome! Next you'll be carving a 5 foot headdress on one of your 6 foot poles.

cool! Mask is coming along so nicely!

I like the twine, it'll be easier to tell when it's on both sides, but it's a neat idea!

Way to be all original!

yayyyyy!

-Tw

yes - twine and ROPE (especially) always look great on the carvings, and it already looks cool on your carving.

great headress mask, rodeo. You've pumped out some awesome carvings lately

PS - even, schmeven - he looks great (none of mine are ever even)

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2005-08-23 19:38 ]

Cool, rodeotiki! This guy is shaping up nicely.

Nice work RT! I like the twine detail!

I can't wait to see what you've been up to!

Are you gonna post some pics or do I have to come over there and rough you up a bit? :wink:

Dont ya hate when life gets in the way of carving.
Getting close to done. I have some other stuff but only had this pic on a memory card. When I get my camera back and things start to get normal around here I will update some new pics.

Thanks everyone, Rodeo.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2005-09-16 11:07 ]

Wow that mask turned out beautifully!
I really love the twine in his head dress, really, really nice work Rodeo. Thanks for posting :)

situation averted

Nice work, Rodeo. The stain really brough out the wood grain.

FA

Truly awesome piece BRAH!!

RT, it looks great. The twine worked out well and makes a nice contrast with the wood.

like it all RT...agree that the roping effect is really
nice....cool headdress.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, on bad days they bring a smile to me.

This guy has been taking up space for way to long and I had lost all interest in working on him. So today I put chisels and grinder to task and made some progress. I am hoping that when he is finally done to donate him to the fund raising auction for my sons school. Its a school for kids with disabilities. (he has a speech impairment)

Thanks for looking

K
kirby posted on Sat, Sep 24, 2005 5:49 PM

Lookin great,love the face,love the mullet.now git er dun...

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 24, 2005 6:28 PM

Nice! Now that is different. I dig the face and long legs.

I like the way he is having a real belly laugh. A very pure emotion. Way to capture it.

FA

Brah!! He rocks!! Mr.Tiki had some quality time with Mrs. Tiki. >:)

When did you set this one aside, RT? Man, this could be your best yet.

H

Hes a happy lookin fella thats for sure. Nice work

R

Thanks everyone.

Kirby , I never realized that it was a mullet tiki.
AA , He was hiding in the corner for awhile but promised to be good so I let him out. I showed the chairman of the fundraiser and she is very excited to see him all done.

Here is something new I have started . Its a 6 ft tall surf board and later I will add a tiki guy to the front.

Comments and critiques welcome

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2005-10-04 16:49 ]

Rodeo-
That guy is looking great!!! Keep it up!!

C

good start rodeotiki....the great pics...great big pics
on my computer...keep em coming

Big Tiki, big pics. Makes sense to me.

R

I dont know why the pics are showing so big for you guys , i will try and change them back to shutterfly from photobucket. any ideas why they are so freaking big ?

Sorry about that , pics are fixed now.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2005-10-04 16:49 ]

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Oct 4, 2005 4:56 PM

Lookin sweet Rodeo! Now finish him up and post before you leave for Hukilau!!!

Mahaloz

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Oct 4, 2005 5:01 PM

Can't wait to see the tiki you're gonna carve in front of that stick...bring it on!

Are you going for the tiki-mullet look here too? :)

-G

B

Way to Go Rodeo, It's about time you did some work (cough cough!) At least it is Nice work. I really like this guy, you should finish him up and breathe some life into him. Excellent. (Like the Mullet too!)

While trying to do some detail work with the dremel and a small burr . I some how managed to catch the tip of my work glove with the bit. Before I knew it , it had chewed right thru and onto my finger. I think if I wasnt wearing gloves I may have stuck it thru my nail. I am glad its chilli in my garage today.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2005-10-05 14:24 ]

B

Oouch, that Hurts. If you had Not been wearing the glove, it would Not have caught and chewed on your finger. Oh well, I guess the tiki was Hungry.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Oct 5, 2005 6:45 PM

ooohhh a booboo...thats a small price to pay for making such cool tikis dude...

R

Got some more work done tonight . I wasnt sure if I was going do to just a face or the whole body. Once I started to sketch it worked itself out.

Thanks for the comments and critiques.

Funny how they like to work themselves out. I think you're on a roll, RT. Keep us posted. Somebody's gotta do all the hard work while everyone else is at Hukilau (arrrrr!). I'll try to do my part too.

A-A

It's cool that you're not going to Hukilau, so you have moe time to work on this guy, and post more progression pics. He's looking sweet already. One of the toasts (at Hukilau) on my extra-long toast list will be to Rodeotiki.

8T

It may be chilly in the garage but that carving is gonna be so hot that it will warm the joint right up! Sorry about the finger but I think you got off lucky. Keep the update photos coming. (of the tiki not your finger)

Man, rodeo...that's turning out to be a fine looking tiki.... Great work on this guy. Post em' when he's done!

M

Rodeo great work you always do.
I now think I should start wearing gloves.
Wes

H

Yes. A very dapper gent indeed! Bravo!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Oct 8, 2005 8:04 AM

Man keep those fingers safe, you got a really cool carving to finish!

B

Rodeo, this guy is looking Great. Isn't it about time for an Update? Missed you at Hukilau so we had some fun for you. Hope the finger is doing OK.

RODEO! that's anice nick in your finger there. Don't worry, that's only 1/10th of the package....you still got 9 more :)

NIce looking tikis - I dig that full body one that lurks in the background...

Here is the newest shot of my latest carving. Since taking this I have done a lot of sanding with a bunch still to go.

Thanks for looking and thanks for the comments , they are always a big inspiration to me.

Mahalo.

I think you've just reached the next plateau. I'm looking forward to the finished pics.

B

I agree with Raffer, this is a Big step up and you are handling it nicely. Neat, original idea.

F

very nice can we get some additional shots. also is is top heavy or is the base really secure?

8T

Man, rodeo he's almost stepping right out of the log!
This is gonna be awesome!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies