Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rodetiki's stuff, Another sketch pg. 22 10/20/05

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies

Great job!

Hey, it's Wong - live and in the wood! Looking fine, rodeotiki! You nailed his likeness. He looks so much better with those teeth too. Great work, and thanks for posting!

http://www.samgambino.com

K

right on !! great job!!

R

I guess I have been slacking in the carving lately. Sorry Professor Benz, I may need to goto detention.

I had done this carving awhile ago and it had split really bad. So I decided to cut it in half at the split and make a wall hanging tiki from him. I also changed his face and removed the small tiki in his hands and added the electric torch I made.

BEFORE, on the far right..

AFTER...

Still got lots to do to get him finished.

Mahalo for looking .

R

Oh yeah , here is the big guy I am still working away on ....Very slow progress ..

K
kirby posted on Tue, Jul 5, 2005 8:54 PM

I love tikis that hold stuff... good work rodeo

Fine stuff, rodeotiki. That big guy lying across the driveway looks like he's going to rule the roost among the others!

I like what you're doing with the torch guy. It looks like a massive amount of sanding though.

stop slacking and carve! nice work.

C

Rodeo.....nice progress on the tiki re-do..
and I also like the one on the workbench...
doing nice work.

Great stuff Rodeo. Can you bring that one to the luau?

B

Well if you keep up the progress on this big guy, we'll waive detention This time. Don't let it happen again. Showing great resourcefulness rescuing the split up like you did. You get extra ppoints for that. Well Done!

The tiki torch adds a whole new dimension. It's hard to change a finished tiki, but you made the right choice on that one & it looks all the better for it. Looking forward to that big guy!

T

nice change!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 7, 2005 7:54 AM

Hey rodeo - cool update on that cracker of a tiki! haha :)

Keep pluggin away at that big boy too

R

Thanks everyone.

No more slacking for me.
Heres a new shot of the redotiki without his torch..

Raff, massive sanding was a understatement. I dont think I would have redone this if I knew how hard it would be to sand off the old varnish and stain.

Made a bit of progress on the big guy too:
Sorry for the bad photo

T

Looks great. No such a thing as a bad photo

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 9, 2005 11:01 PM

good progress shots. nice

B

All right Rodeo nice to see you working for a change, Ha. Botha are lookin' good. Nice.

Im digging the exagerated mouth on that last pole. Keep them woodchips flying.

So a really good friend called and told me she was bringing me a HUGE log to carve. Much to my surprise it was a 6 foot long piece of something. When it fell out of the back of her truck there were little bugs everywhere.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that it should be in the trash , So I thanked her and dragged it to the back yard. After several treatments of bug killer and some drying time I wasn't sure what to do with it. It had knots every where and was splitting bad.
Being to lazy to cut it up and haul it to the dump or burn it I decided to carve it with just my chainsaw.

So after a hour heres what I got:

I am not gonna sand it or stain it . I am curious to see what the elements will do to it. I sunk it about a foot into the ground as I didn't want it to fall on one of the kids.

Thanks for looking.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 20, 2005 8:05 PM

Hey man, way to go with the big log. Sure, it might be trash, but the next one she brings could be sweet. Knowing your luck, this will be the one that doesn't split.

Got milk?

Hey rodeo - Now you've turned potential trash into something VERY desirable and enjoyable to look at. That's a great feeling, isn't it? Great job!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-07-21 00:28 ]

B

Nice job Rodeo. You can come to my house and transform my trash to tikis any day..come on Down.

Aha! So this is what you do! I had to find out what one of your "surprises" might possibly be. Nice work, and excellent progress on the carving skills!

Thanks Guys,
Your right Sam it is a great feeling
Ben , I may have to take you up on that next winter.
Thanks Hewey , its nice when friends do something with good intentions .

Heres 2 new masks that I did , Both are waiting for varnish.

wow rodeo, those masks are AWESOME!!! Love the grain, the color, the styles, FANTASTIC!
You've been carving up a storm lately!

H

Cool masks. Looks like rat rod patina! Look good when they are stained

Really like the one on the left. Great Mouth.

Nice stuff Ro-deo. Are you going to varnish them, or keep them as they are? Either way is cool.

Cool masks! That one on the left reminds me a bit of Beavis. Or is it Butthead? Whatever, they're both pretty cool!

B

Nice work Rodeo. What wood are they and what stain did you use. lets see more of these kinds of masks.

Thanks guys ,
Maybe a bit of both beavis and butthead there. The wood is cedar that I have lots of and the stain was from minwax its Red Oak. I like them alot more with the varnish. I think that I will try and make some bigger masks as these guys are about 18 to 20 inches.

K
kirby posted on Mon, Jul 25, 2005 6:37 PM

awsome!! Are you ready to make a trade????

Nice Work Rodeo! They are beautiful masks!

Cedar nice... Varnished Cedar better!

O

the masks look good, nice color, style, and grain. Your carvings are looking good, your getting better with each carving you do.

Very COOL masks, rodeotiki. The varnish makes the details pop even more. Great job!

Just need to add some varnish and the redo-tiki is redone

It was fun to make the light and add it to the carving.
The switch for the light is hidden just under the lamp oil container.

Love that marq mask rodeo, you bringing them to Vancouver? huh? huh?
Do you have a price for him yet?
If so PM me, I really need some rodeo in my collection. I hope you're signing these bad boys!

The masks are looking fine. Redo is looking a little agro, but he'll get over it once he looks in the mirror. Nice work.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 27, 2005 1:06 AM

Cool masks. And that born again tiki is looking good too.

M

Nice work Rodeo. Your carvings are getting more refined as you move along. I haven't tried a mask yet. Yours rock!

Mahalo

Just started another new one tonight. Thought I might try and give it a head dress.

Looking fine as always, rodeo. I like the expressions you give to the tikis too - definite rodeotiki style!

nice work, Rodeo!

B

Way to go Rodeo.
This new tiki is a nice challenge which I'm sure you will do well with. The headdress looks great and actually the whole thing does too. Can't wait to see more progress pic's.

This will look nice, Collin. It's cool to see the beginnings of a tiki and imagine how it will shape up as the chisel does its magic. How did you do the "through" cuts on the headpiece, if you don't mind my asking? I started mine with a wood cutting drill bit, then followed up with chisels. Looks good, can't wait to see the progress!

Aaron

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies