1/4 cup melted butter
8 ounces cream cheese
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons orange flavored liqueur
1 (6 ounce) can unsweetened orange juice concentrate, thawed
1/3 cup light rum
1 (4 1/2 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
Orange slices

Combine coconut and butter, mixing well. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 300 degrees F for 25 minutes. Cool.

Beat cheese until fluffy. Add milk and orange concentrate and beat until smooth. Add rum and liqueur. Fold in Cool Whip. Pour into cooled pie crust and refrigerate 6 hours.

Garnish with orange slices.

Serves 7.

M

Mmmmmmmmm... that sounds awesome Tweedtone. Thanks for posting it. Makes me wish I knew how to cook on something besides the BBQ.

T

Has anyone made the Mai Tai Pie in Taboo Table or any of the other desserts in the book?

No lime juice?

This makes for a wonderfully yummy desert and is fun to make and share.

Having made a few of these I offer the following suggestions:

Add a bit of lime zest to the coolwhip. Or sprinkle some lime zest in the bottom of your pie shell before you add anything else.

DO NOT DOUBLE the recipe to make two pies. Make two batches, trust me on this one.

The darker the rum the better, there isn't much and it will get overwhelmed by the other flavors quickly. Do not use your best rums for this, but you knew that already.

Share and Enjoy.

I Like Pie!

J

On 2008-03-23 22:10, TikiSan wrote:
Has anyone made the Mai Tai Pie in Taboo Table or any of the other desserts in the book?

I haven't made the one in Taboo Table yet, but am I dying to test it out.

This recipe sounds pretty good though.

I wonder if substituting almonds for the coconut in the crust would be good (bring that orgeat flavor of the Mai Tai in)? I have to bring something to my book club tomorrow; maybe I'll try making this today!

Crushed amaretti for crumb base?

M

I once did a Mai Tai cheesecake - rum and orange curacao for flavoring, lime zest for garnish and a crushed almond crust. It was fabulous.

T

The recipe in Taboo Table calls for 1 ounce fresh lime juice.

On 2008-03-24 02:38, GentleHangman wrote:
No lime juice?

Well, my version is chillin' (and setting up, hopefully) in the fridge. We'll know the final results tomorrow.

The recipe in Taboo Table calls for 1 ounce fresh lime juice.

Whew! I knew you couldn't have anything called "Mai Tai" without fresh lime!

Here's the results, kids...

I changed up the recipe a bit, partly for personal preference (can't stand Cool Whip), but also to incorporate a more Classic Mai Tai feel (downplaying the orange, addition of lime, almond, and hint of mint flavors). Here's my alterations:

Mai Tai Pie (with changes by Haole’akamai)

1 ½ cups sliced almonds, crushed
¼ cup melted butter
In a ¼ cup container mix:
1Tb mint syrup*
2 Tb lime syrup*
Fill with orgeat**
Zest from one bearss lime, split into 2/3rd and 1/3rd
8 ounces cream cheese
12 oz can sweetened condensed milk
4 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice, mixed with 2Tb mint syrup* and 3Tb lime syrup*
2 tablespoons orange flavored liqueur***
1/4 cup dark rum****
1 pint heavy cream, whipped to very stiff peaks

Combine almonds, butter, ¼ cup of syrups, mixing well. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Add 2/3 of lime zest (set aside rest to garnish top of pie). Bake at 300 degrees F for 45 minutes, or until almonds are browned and toasted-looking. Let crust cool completely.

Beat cheese until fluffy. Add condensed milk and lime juice and beat until smooth. Add rum and liqueur. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into cooled pie crust and refrigerate 6 hours.

Garnish with lime zest.

I used:
*Sonoma Syrup Company's Lime and Mint syrups.
**Monin Orgeat
***Hiram Walker Orange Curacao
****TV Special Dark Rum

T

On 2008-03-25 10:09, Haole'akamai wrote:
Here's the results, kids...

So how was it? Did it taste like a Mai Tai? Would you make it again?

That is a thing of beauty.

How did it taste with the almond crust?

It came out with tart tones (fresh citrus) and sweet tones (the syrups) and just the right creamy taste that didn't overpower. And the recipe went together very easily (I used a Kitchenaid).

The recipe I wrote up has a couple of changes I felt would make the pie "set-up" better. I loved the almond crust(only change would be to crush the sliced almonds first, so it laid a tighter crust).

I would definitely make it again (and again and again...), until perfected. This might become my signature pie! :D

On 2008-03-27 00:24, TikiSan wrote:

Did it taste like a Mai Tai?

I think the fact I used dark rum, and possibly because of the creamy aspect, it didn't taste "just like" a Mai Tai, but it did inspire a Mai Tai taste (if that makes sense). It had an element that makes up a good cocktail, the balance between sweet and tart.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-03-27 15:20 ]

One idea for the crust might be to crush up some almond biscotti, mixed with cocoanut. This might give a firmer, more traditional crust, but with the right flavors.

Otherwise, yours looks mighty tasty.

Angry Idol

Oh, almond biscotti; that's a great idea! The crust is definitely part that needs work still. That, and the consistency of the filling. I need to stiffen it up, but I'd like to find a thickener that's veg-friendly.

On 2008-03-31 17:25, Haole'akamai wrote:
Oh, almond biscotti; that's a great idea! The crust is definitely part that needs work still. That, and the consistency of the filling. I need to stiffen it up, but I'd like to find a thickener that's veg-friendly.

Almond biscotti = the 'amaretti' that I suggested in my earlier post.

It must have got lost in translation!
From EU/Italian-'English English' to 'American English'-Italian :lol:

I'm convinced these will work perfectly and the addition of coconut would be really nice!

How much alcohol is actually left after cooling for 6 hours? My husband doesn't drink and I'd sure like to make this pie for us. It would be a shame to make it and he couldn't have any.

On 2008-04-05 21:08, JanetMermaid wrote:
How much alcohol is actually left after cooling for 6 hours? My husband doesn't drink and I'd sure like to make this pie for us. It would be a shame to make it and he couldn't have any.

Unfortunately, even with only using the 1/4 cup (and 2 TBS), there's still alcohol in it. So, if he's a strict tea-totaller, the pie is a no-no. BUT I have seen rum-FLAVORED syrups on the market, so you could try that (and orange juice instead of orange liqueuer?) instead. If you do make a non-alcoholic version, make sure to post about it.

Made the pie again and a couple of tablespoons of tapioca starch did the trick with "setting up" the filling! Crushing the almonds (and a little almond meal) made the crust work great, too. WooT!

Pages: 1 22 replies