Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

The Dead Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,605 replies

L
laojia posted on Tue, Feb 2, 2010 9:26 PM

Really sad too...
A tribute was broadcast on French radio as two programs dating back to last year. It was at this period is also where I read his "People's History of the United States". Ken is right: A MUST READ!

J.

Capt. Phil Harris Died

Discovery Mourns the Loss of Captain Phil Harris

To leave condolences for Phil's family and friends, please visit our message boards.

UPDATE: February 9, 2010: It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad - Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. - Jake and Josh Harris

Statement from Discovery - Discovery mourns the loss of dear friend and colleague Captain Phil Harris. He was more than someone on our television screen. Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart. We share our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil's every move. We send our thoughts and prayers to Phil's sons Josh and Jake and the Cornelia Marie crew.

February 3, 2010: No one ever said Captain Phil Harris wasn't tough. Today, dad showed some good signs of improvement, squeezing our hands and even summoning his trademark Captain's bluntness by telling the doctors and nurses, "Don't f*ck up." We are encouraged but still very cautious. It is a long road ahead, but its made more bearable and comforting knowing your thoughts and prayers are with us. We are strong because of you -- our fans. Thanks and we will continue to update you as best we can going forward.

February 1, 2010: Josh and Jake Harris thank everyone for their heartfelt thought and prayers. The Deadliest Catch community has always been more like family than just fans, and Discovery Channel joins the Harris boys in thanking everyone for their wishes of support. Captain Phil is resting comfortably and is in the care of excellent doctors and nurses. We will update everyone on his progress as best we can.

January 30, 2010: Phil Harris suffered a stroke while in port off-loading from the F/V Cornelia Marie. He has been transported to a medical facility and is receiving the best care possible. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and we will make more information available as we know it.
To leave condolences for Phil's family and friends, please visit our message boards.

:(

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2010-02-10 08:44 ]

Fred Morrison
Inventor of the Frisbee
1/23/1920-2/9/2010

Washington Post: Fred Morrison

L

I was so sad to hear about Captain Phil :( I love Deadliest Catch and my ex-man friend worked in Alaska for the Coast Guard and knows those guys well. He told me that more than any other loss the Captains are mourning the loss of Phil the hardest.

Boo.

Doug Fieger, The Knack lead singer who co-wrote the new-wave band's biggest hit, "My Sharona," has died. He was 57.

Fieger died Sunday at his Woodland Hills, Calif., home after a battle with cancer.

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/415419_tvgif15.html

And Dale Hawkins...

Rockabilly founder Dale Hawkins succumbed to his long-drawn three year battle with colon cancer at the age of 73.

The pioneer American rock singer Dale Hawkins who made a priceless contribution to Louisiana music left for his heavenly abode on last Valentine’s Day. Despite being diagnosed with colon cancer in 2006 and undergoing chemotherapy the rockabilly pathfinder continued to perform occasionally. Hawkins, the songwriter and rhythm guitarist who breathed his last on Saturday in a Little Rock, AR, hospital became a household name and achieved a national mark with his 1957 chartbusting single “Susie-Q”.

http://www.entertainmentandshowbiz.com/susie-q-singer-dale-hawkins-succumbs-to-cancer-2010021636628

ATTLEBORO, Mass. -- Mosi Tatupu, a fan favorite who played 13 seasons for the New England Patriots, died Tuesday at age 54.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4940988

A good footballer and a great name for a cocktail

Nan Martin, veteran stage, television and film actress
July 15, 1927 - March 4, 2010

New York Times: Nan Martin

She played Mrs. Louder in “The Drew Carey Show.” and
Freddy Krueger’s mother in “A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors”.

L

Corey Haim

No surprise that he overdosed but still sad

B

He truly was a "lost boy." Too bad. Sucks to be an addict.

One of the fearsome fourseme, defensive lineman, Merlin Olsen has left the field.
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PLAYER_ID=168

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_Olsen

‘Father of Bossa Nova' Johnny Alf
May 19, 1929 - March 4, 2010

New York Times: Alfredo José da Silva

An influential Brazilian songwriter, pianist and singer whose delicately swinging music was a precursor to the bossa nova.

Peter Graves died of a heart attack at age 83. I guess this was his last "Mission: Impossible"

http://www.seattlepi.com/movies/416620_graves14.html

This thread will self-destruct in 5 seconds...!

Alex Chilton
Songwriter, guitarist, singer and producer.
Best known for his work with the Box Tops and Big Star.
December 28, 1950 – March 17, 2010
New York Times: Alex Chilton

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 19, 2010 1:47 PM

Phil Wood, master of the hub since '71.
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/3856.html

Robert Culp, who shot to fame as an actor thanks to his Kelly Robinson role in 'I Spy' in the 1960s, died on Wednesday after the 79-year-old actor hit his head during a fall near his Hollywood home.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Culp hit his head after falling while walking on Wednesday morning and was found by a jogger who then called 911 shortly after 11 a.m. Culp was pronounced dead shortly after at Queen of Angels hospital, Los Angeles Police Department Bob Binder told the LA Times that the actor's death "is accidental and there appears to be no sign of foul play."

From 1965 to 1968, Culp's Robinson character on 'I Spy' brought him to the top of Hollywood, as Robinson's globe-trotting detective prowess took viewers on trips around the world. It was also a socially important show, as it became the first dramatic TV series to feature an African American actor. That actor... Bill Cosby.

"He's the brightest man I ever knew, and God knows he has the fastest mind of anyone I've ever come across," Culp said of Cosby during an interview with the Archive of American Television in 2007.

He went on to describe the social significance of 'I Spy, saying that "when it came to race relations... that there were stations in the South that wouldn't carry us," and that he said to Cosby: 'Do you want to do anything about that?'" Culp continued, saying that Cosby told him "'Our statement is a non-statement. That's what it is, and that's where it lies and that's what's going to make it funny.'

Culp's response? "'Dead-on, partner."

During the 1980s, Culp also logged 44 episodes as Bill Maxwell in 'The Greatest American Hero.' In recent years, he acted sporadically, including a role as Warren in 11 episodes of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' during the show's tenure. Culp also had a role in 1994's hit movie 'The Pelican Brief.'

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2010-03-24 17:16 ]

Robert Culp was in two of the very best Outer Limits episodes & also starred in "Bob & Ted & Carol & Alice"
he was married to Vietnamese actress France Nuyen.

Culp teamed with "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry, playing occult investigator William Sebastian in the 1977 NBC "pilot""Spectre."
France Nuyen was also in the original Star Trek.

What many people do not know is he was first considered for the lead role in "Space 1999" The role went to Martin Landau.
He was a real presence with those of us who grew up in the 1960's

R.I.P. Robert Culp

We've lost Johnny Maestro, lead singer of the Crests & The Brooklyn Bridge. As a die-hard Rockabilly & a Doo-Wop fan, this one hits hard. I had the pleasure of seeing him several times & he was a fantastic performer right up til the end. I'm seriously heartbroken about this one. He played every year at Lead East in NJ & was really dynamic. He never stopped singing & could still hit every note. Off the stage, he was just a wonderful, genuine person who's really going to be missed. Godspeed my friend & thanks for the great tunes. :cry:

J

Bud Cockrell, original bassist and vocalist for Marin-based band, Pablo Cruise.

He wrote and sang lead vocals on "Place in the Sun" and sang co-lead on "Watcha Gonna Do (When She Says Goodbye)". We dated for a while in 1984, during which time he (and a couple of his original Pablo band mates) were responsible for one of the most perfect days of my life in what was formerly Jerry Garcia's house on the Stinson side of Mt. Tam. We reconnected for a short time about 12 years ago when he was living in San Juan Bautista. He moved back home to Mississippi when his dad got sick, then stayed when his own diabetes started to cause him serious health problems.

Bud died in his sleep on March 6, 2010, at the age of 59. Rest in peace, my friend.

http://www.budcockrell.com

H

Hula legend Dorothy Thompson passes on.

On 2010-03-26 21:44, Hakalugi wrote:
Hula legend Dorothy Thompson passes on.

Never heard of her.
Thanks for the heads up.

Broadway star and film actress June Havoc
November 8, 1912 - March 29, 2010

St. Louis Dispatch: June Havoc

The younger sister of burlesque queen Gypsy Rose Lee.
She Appeared on vaudeville stages when she was 2 as Baby June and went on to a successful acting career — but saw her accomplishments overshadowed by the fictionalized portrayal of her in the 1959 musical "Gypsy" .

Guitarist Herb Ellis
August 4, 1921 – March 28, 2010

BBC News: Herb Ellis

Performed with what is regarded as the classic line-up of the Oscar Peterson Trio. Also worked with jazz greats Ella Fitzgerald, Jimmy Dorsey and Louis Armstrong.

M
BB

Ugh! That stinks but 92 is nice run, he was really great in Scrooged.

"I don't mind you shooting at me, Frank, but take it easy on the Bacardi!"

Al Ross
1917-2010
Founder of Doggie Diners which were probably more beloved in San Francisco and the Bay Area for their giant fiberglass dachshund heads than they were for their food.

Official Doggie Diner page

San Francisco Chronicle: Al Ross

Meinhardt Raabe, the Wizard of Oz's Munchkin coroner
1915-4/9/2010

UK Daily Mail: Meinhardt Raabe

L

Dixie Cater just passed away...I always wished I could tell off people the way she did on Designing Woman.

And yes..I watched DW!

On 2010-04-11 22:35, leleliz wrote:
Dixie Cater just passed away...I always wished I could tell off people the way she did on Designing Woman.

And yes..I watched DW!

True Southerners know how to make an insult sound like a compliment...bless her heart! I watched it too - hey, we all have shows we hate to admit watching! Like Doctor Who!

Supergrass 1993-2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXL_Xb0zT5g

Catch the moais at the end...

RIP Peter.

On 2010-04-17 09:58, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
RIP Peter.

wow bummer,
what was the cause?

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-04-17 14:03 ]

Zack Thomas of the 1400 Thomas's, the Standard Poodle,
has crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
Git the ball boy, git it.

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2010-04-23 20:19 ]

Lynn Redgrave
Actress, nominated for Academy Awards for "Georgy Girl" and "Gods and Monsters"
3/8/1943 to 5/2/2010
The Times of London: Lynn Redgrave
Lynn Redgrave: Official Home Page

Frank Frazetta 1928-2010

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2010/05/10/frank-frazetta-rip/

Fantasy art will never be the same.

:( Frank was the king of 70s van art and rock & roll album covers

Lena Horne
singer and actress
June 30, 1917 - May 9, 2010

YouTube: Lena Horne

New York Times : Lena Horne

Dio.

Metal legend Ronnie James Dio dead at 67 after battle with stomach cancer

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=10662055

TM

Can't say I was ever a huge fan, but rest in peace, Ronnie!

B

On 2010-05-16 15:52, lucas vigor wrote:
Can't say I was ever a huge fan, but rest in peace, Ronnie!

Dick looks like a relative of Connan O'Brian's!

On 2010-05-16 13:36, bamalamalu wrote:
Dio.
Metal legend Ronnie James Dio dead at 67 after battle with stomach cancer
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=10662055

Here's what a friend of mine wrote me:

The man that invented the "devil sign" (which ironically was actually a gypsy gesture to ward off evil) has died. I am so sad to hear that Ronnie James Dio - one of my personal all time favorites has passed away at 67. I actually met him once at a meet and greet and got to shake his little hand. He was a real gentlman and had the best pipes in the business.

I am so glad I got to see him some 12 times fronting Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell and Dio - he was only three feet tall and as ugly as a horny toad, but man he could sing! :(

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, May 17, 2010 11:29 AM

Horny toads are kindda cute...

Dio..one of the greatest of the greats! :(

Sing me a song, you're a singer
Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil
The devil is never a maker
The less that you give, you're a taker
So it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hell, oh well

The lover of lifes not a sinner
The ending is just a beginner
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming
So it's on and on and on, oh it's on and on and on
It goes on and on and on, heaven and hell
I can tell, fool, fool!

Well if it seems to be real, it's illusion
For every moment of truth, there's confusion in life
Love can be seen as the answer, but nobody bleeds for the dancer
And it's on and on, on and on and on....

They say that lifes a carousel
Spinning fast, youve got to ride it well
The world is full of kings and queens
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
Its heaven and hell, oh well
And they'll tell you black is really white
The moon is just the sun at night
And when you walk in golden halls
You get to keep the gold that falls
Its heaven and hell, oh no!
Fool, fool!
Youve got to bleed for the dancer!
Fool, fool!
Look for the answer!
Fool, fool, fool!

TV Host Art Linkletter
July 17, 1912-May 26, 2010
Hosted the opening day of Disneyland with Ronald Reagan on live TV.

Business Week: Art Linkletter

Mouseplanet Blog: Art Linkletter

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1605 replies