Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

How should I handle mug thieves?

Pages: 1 2 84 replies

Had an incident recently. It was a Trader Vic's coconut mug, Thatch uses them for chi-chis. The young lady had already paid her bill and was seen placing a mug into her purse.
Robertiki

My question would be do you sell them seperately? If so, offer to sell her one.

If not, you probably should. Otherwise I might be tempted to take one myself.

PTD

S

I have wondered if its legal to add it to a credit card bill. Of course, if they already signed off on the charge, it does not matter.

There is a common mis-perception in the world that the mug is part of the price. I see this referred to all the time in various circles. It was not the practice, but people think it was and is. I think the best way to try to combat this is to somehow mention in your menu where it will be seen that "only if you order 'Drink X' may you take the mug with you." Or, in some way explain that if you pay this extra, you can keep the mug. Then it sets that apart and they should understand the others are not keepers.

Sometimes selling them isn't an (immediate) option.

Approach the person as if s/he is a friend of yours who made an honest mistake. No judgment (very important!), just be plain and genuinely ask her/him to return the mug.

I've had to do this several times (only once has it gotten ugly - "The Jody Incident"), and as long as you don't go in all accusitory(sp), people are really okay with it.

On 2007-07-23 11:45, Haole'akamai wrote:
Sometimes selling them isn't an (immediate) option.

Approach the person as if s/he is a friend of yours who made an honest mistake. No judgment (very important!), just be plain and genuinely ask her/him to return the mug.

I've had to do this several times (only once has it gotten ugly - "The Jody Incident"), and as long as you don't go in all accusitory(sp), people are really okay with it.

Can you please tell us about "The Jody Incident"?

PTD

M

Post a picture of the mug as: "Missing" or "Lost!" all over your place. (JK) Is she a regular? The assumption is that she might be. I would extend her an opportunity to make good with a purchase of said merchandise. If she refuses, ban her.

Mahalo

McTiki

J

In Germany, you put down a deposit for large beer glasses and bottles no matter where you are.

Example- at one place you would order a wheat beer and of course it comes in a wheat beer glass which is quite large and very tempting for the inebriated, potential thief. So when you order you must pay a deposit fee (Pfand) and you get a token. When done, you turn in the token and get your depost back.

Even at parties where beer is served in bottles, you had to pay a deposit which you got back upon returning the bottle.

They do it for shopping carts as well. Insures that people will return them to their proper place.

Perhaps a similiar scheme with Tiki mugs?

The fact that mug theft, just like ashtray theft, has been seen as a gentleman's offense, or as a sport, ever since bars and restaurants introduced themed utensils, has led to a steady decline in the quality and mostly complete abandonment of personalized bar ware by restaurant owners. Which is a shame.

In the heyday of Tiki there actually were quite a few bars that on SOME of their cocktail menu items stated "You may keep the mug with the drink". This was due to A.) The high profit margin of getting ten times of what the liquor and fruit juices cost you for the cocktail B.) the fact that mugs made in Asia just cost you pennies wholesale, back then.

As mug prices rose over the years, less and less bars could afford to let their bar wares walk out the door and phased mugs out of their menus. So mug theft was in a small way contributing to the devolution of Tiki.

I would try to impress that fact onto your clientele by putting up signs in strategic locations that say something like:

LIKE OUR TIKI MUGS ? We do too. Mug theft is not a gentleman's offense, but directly harms the economic base of this business. Please inquire about purchasing our mugs for a fair price.

oops...double post......sorry..

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-07-23 18:35 ]

Trader Vics here add £50 per mug to any bill where they have seen people take mugs. Put them back on the table and they take it off or pay it, whichever way round nothing more is said and no one loses face or gets embarrassed.
Still it's an expensive way to collect mugs.

Bigbro,

People steal ANYTHING. Saying that you can "BUY IT IF YOU LIKE IT!" does nothing.

The token thing sounds like really the best option....

T

When I did ashtrays for my restaurant I knew people would steal them.
Any time you put your name on something you are at risk, especially if
you have an old or cool place.
Or if the item is cool.
I kind of wanted people to steal my ashtrays.
If they spent their whole life in my place eventually they would break.
There would be no lasting memories of my place.
The person that takes a item from your place will treat it better than
it would be treated in your place.
What is the life of a Trader vic coconut mug in your place?
Not long if you had the dishwashers I had.
I do like the token idea that would help.
Not many people stole my ashtrays they would ask to buy them all of the time.
I would give them one.
They had "smoking is not a crime yet!" On them. Who knew.

I must admit I'm guilty of this sort of thing... I would never steel something sober, but get a few drinks in ya and you get ballsy. You just gotta know, drunk people steel shit, it's just the way it is. If you see them do it you can just ask for it back.. otherwise just keep a better look out or accept that it will definitely happen. Personally, I wouldn't serve something in a really cool glass unless the customer has already paid for it - everything else would come in plain ol boring glassware.

Although I personally don't condone this type of behavior...

It's called ADVERTISING!

What better way to get your name out there? Collectors keep coming back and with their collections on display, questions are asked by newcomers and more business is generated! Pass the cost along to me, I will pay for a mug with your bar or establishments name on it. But don't make me drive two to three hours and stand in a line hoping for a "chance" at scoring some obscure, one of a kind item!

Take a look at places past...they had the right idea. Sell mugs with or without your drinks and put your name on them...you can't go wrong. How much is an ashtray or matchbook, napkin or swizzle stick?with your name on it? Pass it along!

I have been to places that have "generic" items such as mugs, ashtrays, etc and never looked twice at them or ever thought they would be cool to collect.

What better way to get your name out (aside from selling the stuff outright)?

Many of the places I have been to have been out of curiosity was from something I saw in the way of a mug, menu, postcard or ashtray.

Build it, make it, sell it and they will come!

PTD

Sheepishly pushing my little drink menu collection further back on the shelf. :o

On 2007-07-23 17:50, VampiressRN wrote:
Sheepishly pushing my little drink menu collection further back on the shelf. :o

Vamp,

Pull your collection forward proudly!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and you rock Vamp)!

M

Long story short: If you have cool mugs in your establishment offer them for sale and when it comes time to bring the check--waiters usually ask if there is anything else the guest would like--s/he could say "Is anyone interested in keeping her mug? We sell them as souvenirs for $9.99 (insert whatever price). I'd buy a whole flippin' set of really cool mugs.

M

How about getting some coconut mugs that don't say Trader Vic's?

http://www.dynastywholesale.com/

Out with their guts and off with their heads...field collecting from old places is not cool..almost like poaching.

On 2007-07-23 17:54, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Vamp,

Psycho Tiki D

If you've got any from FI, can you bring them back, please. :wink: I think we're down to only about 12 right now. For a place that has a seating capacity of 70ish, it sucks being the hostess and you have to ask people to share...

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-07-23 18:41 ]

So you mean my menu-clepto tendancy is socially acceptable in a drunken, brazen, collectible kinda way. :lol: I am feeling better already. I was desperately wanting a Trader Vics menu and begged to buy one when I was in Emeryville....the manager took pity on me and gave me one...needless to say, that baby is gonna get framed!!!....along with some of my other cool nabs.

On 2007-07-23 18:40, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2007-07-23 17:54, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Vamp,

Psycho Tiki D

If you've got any from FI, can you bring them back, please. :wink: I think we're down to only about 12 right now. For a place that has a seating capacity of 70ish, it sucks being the hostess and you have to ask people to share...

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-07-23 18:41 ]

I've got three napkins and a swizzle stick! Do you want those back? Too bad!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-07-23 19:06 ]

On 2007-07-23 17:59, martiki wrote:

How about getting some that say "Forbidden Island"? Someone has to be able to make these for you, even in China!

PTD

Lucky for me....nothing from FI. Whew....wiping the sweat off my forehead. :lol:

Now that I have been outed...I am sure every bar owner will assign a house detective to my table. The pressure is on!!!!

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-07-23 19:32 ]

T

The Kahiki on it's last night was raped.
Stuff from the walls,big,small, they took it all.
And as far as the old menus go you would not be seeing
all the old menus you see now had they not been stolen.
Because they did not sell them.
I'm not saying taking these items is right.
What I am saying is ya got to know there going to walk.
So ya watch em and hope to keep them there.
And some of the people raping the Kahiki was
the don't rob the old places crowd.

I suggest a mug deposit. Psycho Suzi's in Minneapolis puts a $4 mug deposit on every drink they sell; the tiki mugs they use are the Orchids knockoffs you can get from Dynasty Wholesalers by the case for about $2 a mug. The bar makes a handsome profit if a patron decides to keep legitimately or walk off with the drinkware; if not they just recycle the mug. Psycho Suzi's does not seem to struggle for business, they are elbow to elbow every night of the week sell hundreds of tropical drinks that go for $6 / $10 with mug. Now if only the drinks were a little better...

The second part of my suggestion is to stop using expensive souvenir mugs like your Trader Vic coconut; get the cheapos and relax.

On 2007-07-23 18:57, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

On 2007-07-23 17:59, martiki wrote:

How about getting some that say "Forbidden Island"? Someone has to be able to make these for you, even in China!

PTD

Forbidden Island has a beautiful custom mug by Tiki Farm. They would still be a bargin at twice the price!
Aloha,
:tiki:

M

If an establishment is running low on mugs because patrons are walking out the door, they need to (1) order more mugs right away and (2) SELL THEM. Seems to me like an obvious way to ramp up profits. People want souvenirs and it seems more logical to cater to the demand of the patron than to gnash teeth that the patrons are stealing.

D

I am with the "offer the mugs for sale crowd". If it is for sale it is no fun in taking one out the back door. I am not sure about other people but if I was to swipe a mug I would make it up in the tip for the server. I know that does not help the owners but at least it may keep the server from hunting me down on my way out. As for what to do if you catch someone taking the mug. Ask them aside and offer to sell it to them. If you just say hey you stole a mug and I want it back you may lose a good customer cause they are just too embarrassed to come back.

T

I have no problem taking a mug at a restaurant. In fact, my entire mug collection once belonged to a restaurant or a bar. When we lived in Reno and Las Vegas, NV. All of our mug collection was either from a bar, hotel or a restaurant. I would say put a price tag on it or write it off as a loss and the cost of doing business. The good news is you may be able to write it off as a loss on your taxes. However, make sure you consult your accountant!

Dude, if a person is embarrassed for something they choose to do, then it's their gig for doing something without integrity. Why is that the server's problem?

If some one is going to walk in the world like that, good riddance...

wow, what a varied group of responses.

I am sorta working with Holden to do a series of mugs, and make them special and limited, and yes, they would be for sale.

Until then, I am forced to use the Trader Vic's coconut mugs bought off of ebay and this neighbor of mine who is piecing out her collection.

I hate the deposit concept. They do that at Otto's Shrunken Head in NY, if you don't want to pay the deposit, you get your drink in a plastic CUP. No other industry forces this, I don't ask for a deposit on my Reidel decanters at the wine bar, and they are worth $150 each.

I think Big Bro Tiki has it right, the polite "excuse me, is there any way I might get my mug back" method, as privately as possible.

In Portland we have the BarFly bus, a great way to visit bars safely without driving. I had to stand outside the door, confiscating the glasswear from every other person as they got back on the bus. Not just mugs, but water glasses even.

I have some items from Dynasty, they just don't last the dishwasher (hi-temp Hobart) very well. the Old TV mugs really take a beating.

Thanks for all the advise.
Robertiki

T

Touch my mug, will ya?

I say if you stole a mug, you should tell us where you live so we can come over and take back all the stolen mugs and then some.

S

mug 'em (sorry)

It's the Sweet and Low that gets you.
Those ladies would come in and fill their purses
with the Sweet and Low.
Take every last one. And that stuff is not cheap.
It's why they steal it.
If you have that stuff out at your bar I'll bet you lose
more money in Sweet and Low than you do in mugs.

Think you might had an run-in with my x ... Sticky Vicky !!!!
Guess all that rain in England brought here to the states.
You win some, you lose some, and some get stolen by Sticky Vicky :<

On 2007-07-23 18:38, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Out with their guts and off with their heads...field collecting from old places is not cool..almost like poaching.

I want to see the mug that that stirrer goes to...

How about this one?

T

On 2007-07-23 11:28, Robertiki wrote:
Had an incident recently. It was a Trader Vic's coconut mug, Thatch uses them for chi-chis. The young lady had already paid her bill and was seen placing a mug into her purse.
Robertiki

:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

Did you have on your memu $ 8.00 for chi-chi ...$ 40.00 w/ mug ....
If you don't xplain to people what the deal is ... HOW CAN YOU GET MAD AT THEM ???

On 2007-07-24 15:09, TikiLaLe wrote:

If you don't [e]xplain to people what the deal is ... HOW CAN YOU GET MAD AT THEM ???

Wait, you're supposed to explain that stealing is wrong?

Seriously? Hmmph, and I thought that was a given...

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-07-24 15:40 ]

T

Xplain stealing. 'The young lady was seen placing a mug in her purse.'

I guess at this 'joint' you could walk away with the 'till',and nobody would say a word !!!!!

On 2007-07-24 17:08, TikiLaLe wrote:
Xplain stealing. 'The young lady was seen placing a mug in her purse.'

I guess at this 'joint' you could walk away with the 'till',and nobody would say a word !!!!!

"Been Caught Stealing"

"I've been caught stealing;
once when I was 5...
I enjoy stealing.
It's just as simple as that.
Well, it's just a simple fact.
When I want something, I don't want to pay for it.
I walk right through the door.
Walk right through the door.
Hey all right! If I get by, it's mine.
Mine all mine!
My girl, she's one too.
She'll go and get her a shirt.
Stick it under her skirt.
She grabbed a TIKI MUG for me.
And she did it just like that.
When she wants something,
she don't want to pay for it.
She walk right through the door.
Hey all
right! If I get by, it's mine.
Mine all mine!
We sat around the pile.
We sat and laughed.
We sat and laughed and waved it into the air!
And we did it just like that.
When we want something, we don't want to pay for it.
We walk right through the door.
Walk right through the door.
Hey, all right!
If I get by, it's mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine"

Tiki mugs collectors "theme song"

Sorry, I know this doesn't help your cause, but it is funny!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I ain't been caught stealing...yet)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-07-24 17:28 ]

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-07-24 17:39 ]

T
T

Certainly pulling the young lady aside at the time of the incident would have been a good idea. Lot's of great suggestions to circumvent future theft and some that appear to excuse the young lady for her honest mistake in stealing. However, your full time occupation cannot be theft watch dog. I strongly agree with the suggestion of an addition to the menu regarding the mugs and some visible but unobtrusive signs. Something on the line of the pregnant woman should not drink signs, funny but it gets the point across. Other ways to possibly limit the theft of the vintage mugs is have the dynasty ones for sale. Since they break in the dishwasher and you really can't use them you might as well put the idea in everyones mind that they are buying the mugs they drink from. Also, the little souvenirs that they can keep guilt free are great. If you can get napkins, matchbooks & swizzles with your logo then they can steal those as a memento and leave your mugs alone! Oh & I agree with Tikiskip... watch out for the Sweet & Low thieves they will rob you blind!

Although I have never been to 'Thatch'... I have watched the many posts you have started and seen soo many wonderful photos from your quality and attentive recreation of a "new" tiki lounge/bar! I applaud you for your attention to detail and your choices to hire artists to create the awesome space. I equally recognize your decision to use authentic mugs even if you resort to buy originals from Ebay... That said... here are my thoughts.

Theft will always happen to some level, at your 'joint' - whether its the Park Plaza in NYC or 'Thatch'. Unfortunately , a sign of the times, this reality forces you to build the mug into the cost of the drink. Mike Jones and the Jetsetter Lounge in Lake Worth has a substantial menu of drinks served in "you Keep the" mugs... obviously none of them are limited originals but rather , he embraces the new wave of available artist mugs from Tiki Farm and Munktiki (sp?. sorry), and of course.... you pay for the mug!!!!!!

If you are so inclined to want to use limited original mugs than you have to take the loss, or approach the customer in a compromising interrogation. It's a risk that only you will know if you can afford! I say Let's save the "special" mugs for private parties with only friends; pull em' out after hours, on occasion or for home use! You can also think about adding the mainstream mass production mugs, found in the various Chinatown restaurant purveyors for the lesser expensive concotions! I know the mass production mugs suck, but .... so does losing an ebay acquired Trader Vic's coconut mug!

I was at the Polynesian Hotel at Disneyworld last month and had a Mai Tai at the Bar,.... I asked the bartender if I could have the mug and he eagerly told me, I could... if I put it in my shirt when he wasn't looking!!!!!! I didn't take it! I felt that he made it too easy - I just feel the staff should support the house a little more! Whatever...

That's my two cents... good luck Robert! Keep up the good work - I admire your perseverance and dedication to Tiki!

Again...it's called Advertising!

PTD

Tiki Central Lottery!

Who gets to cast the first stone? (or is it mug)

T

Was there a line of young women with big purses trying to get into 'Thatch' last night? Anybody know ;~>

Pages: 1 2 84 replies