Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

How should I handle mug thieves?

Pages: 1 2 84 replies

T

Hey Lohan, get to the back of the line and wipe your nose !!!

T

Psycho, swizzle sticks and matchbooks are for the taking. Plastic cups and napkins too. But taking the mugs, and I believe that is what we taking about here, is like taking the silverware, glasses, tablecloth, or chairs.

TikiLaLe- "Xplain stealing. 'The young lady was seen placing a mug in her purse."
yeah, you explain it for us. Whether you see it happen or not, thats stealing.

On 2007-07-25 06:38, teaKEY wrote:
Psycho, swizzle sticks and matchbooks are for the taking. Plastic cups and napkins too. But taking the mugs, and I believe that is what we taking about here, is like taking the silverware, glasses, tablecloth, or chairs.

TikiLaLe- "Xplain stealing. 'The young lady was seen placing a mug in her purse."
yeah, you explain it for us. Whether you see it happen or not, thats stealing.

teaKey,

I know we are talking about people swiping mugs, hence this thread entitled "How should I handle mug thieves".

My point is that for anything you can get out to the masses with your establishment's name or logo on it is advertising. I only took pictures of those items because I was working on at the time getting them framed. Need I take pictures of the mugs I have from all the bars I have been to (which, incidentally I paid for all of them)?

Let me throw out another question in regard to "items for the taking". Is it stealing if someone comes in to your establishment and takes matches, napkins, swizzle sticks, etc. and does not buy anything?

Again, not condoning stealing...promoting the legitimate sale!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-07-25 07:13 ]

T

On 2007-07-25 06:57, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Let me throw out another question in regard to "items for the taking". Is it stealing if someone comes in to your establishment and takes matches, napkins, swizzle sticks, etc. and does not buy anything?

Yes. And it's annoying. Same with the restroom. Now if your a customer now or in the past it's ok. But if I never see a dime out of you don't come in and mess up my restroom or even take a toothpick.
People think you make tons of money. And that you are a public service.
All the while EVERYBODY is picking away at your profits.
You got to watch it all.

S

Taking a mug is stealing, period. The fact that someone saw her stealing, does not mean it was condoned. He's asking just how he should handle it. If it was the cash register, he'd know how to handle it.

The thing that I think will be telling is if she actually thought she was stealing. If she thought the mug was part of the price, then sticking it in her purse is what she would normally do. I think the easy way to politely do this is to say "Ma'am, I'm sorry but the mug is not included in the drink price." You aren't using the steal word. You are clearing up a policy. She can then say "Sorry. I didn't know." And you have cleared it up. Of course, you don't want to embarrass her, or you could say it so everyone hears and clear it up for the lot of them. But, that would be poor business.

Top of the menu: "Mugs are not included in the drink prices."

I honestly think she may not have been stealing. She may be of this popular notion that the mugs are free when you buy the drink. If it were a water glass, she'd know she was stealing. There is a confusion on the part of a lot of people.

And, you can make your mugs a part of your advertising budget as far as taxes. But, if they don't have "Thatch" on them, they are not really advertizing for your place. It's just lost money.

Robert, you could probably get someone locally to fire a permanent Thatch decal onto those mugs pretty cheap. That's a very economical way to have custom mugs. And make that advertizing costs in you taxes...

There's a trendy sushi restaurant that has custom, hand-constructed napkin holders that are super-cool and constantly walking away at great expense.. The staff now grabs them the instant you pull the napkin from them, but in an "uncluttering the table" / "I'm on top of it" sorta way.

T

On 2007-07-25 07:38, tikiskip wrote:

On 2007-07-25 06:57, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Yes. And it's annoying. Same with the restroom. Now if your a customer now or in the past it's ok. But if I never see a dime out of you don't come in and mess up my restroom or even take a toothpick.
People think you make tons of money. And that you are a public service.
All the while EVERYBODY is picking away at your profits.
You got to watch it all.

Hey I'm sorry but I had diarrhea .. I tried to clean it up the best I could !!!!
Next time I come in I'll order the Cheese Burger Platter !!!

M

On 2007-07-25 06:38, teaKEY wrote:

Exactly. I remember when places had little 'for our matchless friends' signs on the matchbook holder and so forth. Places expected their patrons to take some. Now we ask about the matches when we go out for food since we don't see them (or the signs, obviously) anymore.

By the same token, drink menus used to say which drinks would come with a mug. If it doesn't say, how does one know? The polite thing to do would be for the person to ask first before taking, but if you know this is a problem, put up some signs or add a little note to the menus.

..stealing a trader vic mug from a place that isn't trader vics...now that's priceless!!..

here's what to do:

..find a cheap mug source, ...buy in volume to get the best price, ....assume folks are gonna take the mugs on occasion, ....throw your hands up high in the air and yell "what the hell!! let the good times roll"!!!..sleep well at night and forgeddaboudit!!!

never mind

[ Edited by: gordon58 2007-07-31 07:54 ]

And if they don't want the mug, the bar's profits just went up. Win/win.

S

After mulling it over, I have come up with the perect solution:

In Hawaii, they tell the tourists that taking the lava rock is taboo and that Pele will curse you if you take the lava from the island. There is an office in Hawaii that gets lots and lots of lava rocks that are mailed back to them to remove the curse as all sorts of bad things happen when people take the lava. Do the same thing with the tiki mugs. At the top of the menu, put the Pele curse to those who remove the mugs from Thatch. Tell how many bad problems started as they got to the car with their mugs and it is strictly advised that you never remove any mug from Thatch or a bad fate will result. Pretty soon you will find your mail slot full or mugs being returned...

Read about the curse of Pele here.

[ Edited by: swanky 2007-07-30 13:48 ]

S

On 2007-07-30 10:41, gordon58 wrote:
Yup.. like Mr. McStagger said... and then increase the price of the drink by 3 to 4 clams... and if someone does not wish the mug (who would EVER do that?) then you are on your way to getting paid back. Sorry some people do this but.... it could be a misunderstanding... however, most of the places I go to send you home with a FRESH mug... all clean and wrapped.

Where are these tiki bars that are sending you home with a free mug? I have never seen them, with the exception of the Mara Amu at the Mai Kai and a few others. But the mugs ar enot free or included at most places and are not included in all drinks.

This is a nice answer, but it is not an answer to his question.

never mind

[ Edited by: gordon58 2007-07-31 07:53 ]

TK

I have two views on this.
If an item has the name and address and/or phone number, then it is advertising. personalization is one thing, but you do not need the address and phone number of a place you are sitting in, so it would seem that they assume you will take it, and while using it, be reminded to come back.

However, an item just being on your table or having the business name on it is not an invitation to take it. There is sort of a legacy perception that it's not really stealing. I think it came from people stealing stuff. You notice that hotels don’t put their names on stuff any more? that's because if they do, it gets stolen. I personally make it a habit to say, "do I get to keep the mug?"

There are of course, people who just steal stuff, and I have had to make a few decisions as to whether it was worth the possible out come to call them on it. Pretty much every time I vend, I have to say “excuse me, did you want to buy that?” as someone is walking off with merchandise. Necklaces, CD’s, Stickers…They always look surprised and say, “Oh, I thought they were free”, even though the price was clearly marked. people will, and do, take anything. I even saw a friends date slipping stuff into her pocket when she thought I was not paying attention. it can be difficult, because you don’t want to embarrass people. But sometimes you have to. Once however, a very large, half naked fellow covered in large scars and prison tattoos picked up one of my “UKE” stickers, looked me in the eye and said, “I’m taking this”. I let it go.

But in general, I think the “excuse me, did you want to buy that?” route is the best way. It lets people know that you are watching, and the stuffs not free, but if it was a legitimate mistake, you don't start a fight with someone who may come back and spend money.

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki and Ukulele Stuff
http://www.download.com/tikiking Hear the King sing!

[ Edited by: Tiki King 2007-07-30 16:27 ]

On 2007-07-30 11:22, Swanky wrote:
After mulling it over, I have come up with the perect solution:

In Hawaii, they tell the tourists that taking the lava rock is taboo and that Pele will curse you if you take the lava from the island. There is an office in Hawaii that gets lots and lots of lava rocks that are mailed back to them to remove the curse as all sorts of bad things happen when people take the lava. Do the same thing with the tiki mugs. At the top of the menu, put the Pele curse to those who remove the mugs from Thatch. Tell how many bad problems started as they got to the car with their mugs and it is strictly advised that you never remove any mug from Thatch or a bad fate will result. Pretty soon you will find your mail slot full or mugs being returned...

Read about the curse of Pele here.

[ Edited by: swanky 2007-07-30 13:48 ]

That's good mulling right there.

P

Serve drinks in regular glasses for a regular amount. Serve them in the nice Tiki mugs for a higher amount that covers your costs plus a lil somethin extra, and the guest can take it home with them. Simple.

S

On 2007-08-12 18:20, panampia wrote:
Serve drinks in regular glasses for a regular amount. Serve them in the nice Tiki mugs for a higher amount that covers your costs plus a lil somethin extra, and the guest can take it home with them. Simple.

Not simple. He doesn't want them to go home with mugs at all.

in light of todays technology, it should be relatively inexpensive to outfit all your mugs with an electronic chip and a detector at the front door, similiar to most department stores.....when the perp tries to smuggle a mug out the door, the alarm sounds, they shit their pants and then everyone in the bar gets to humiliate them!!!

First off let me say I loved visiting Thatch recently and I didn't steal a thing.

I am looking at opening a Bar as well and I was inspired by several elements. The water feature, fresh squeezed juices, sunken bar. Thatch has one of the nicest bathrooms as well, very well appointed and it would make me nervous having such a nice restroom knowing how some people act. I payed for one of your t-shirts and would encourage you to sell the signs as well. Are there any plans to juice up the outside? No offense but I drove past it twice looking for it and It's a bit.... bland, especially considering how great the inside looks. Also I would like to say the staff was amazingly friendly!

I remember there being a deposit at FI for the Fugu mugs when I was there for the pub crawl. It didn't bother me a bit. The Token thing sounds promising, also can't you just have them leave a credit card for an open tab and then when they tab out it is procedure to ask if they wish to buy the mugs. If not collect them at the time the bill is paid. If they are not finished at the time the bill is paid the mug is still collected and the drink transferred into a "roadie"/plastic cup. This gives you the opportunity to up-sell the bill and increase your profits. I will definitely be selling mugs, It's another source of revenue.

The Curse.... I love it! I'm gonna use it, thanks!

Psycho Suzie's served me my T-Shirt purchase in one of their Pizza Boxes which I thought was very cool. I don't remember having a deposit on the mugs. It may be something they do when It's busy. Another inspiring establishment.

Matches, napkins, swizzle sticks and the like are advertising, big time, and I will be encouraging people to take them, but you have to get your name on all of it.

As far as the menu, I plan on making some cool ones that are not really expensive and I will just expect people will take them. Advertising. I might even number them and change the design each year to increase the collectibility of them.

One thing is for sure, drunk people are going to do stupid shit. Regulars, of course will get away with more cause.... they keep coming back and spending money. However one approaches it, I think not taking it personally, being tolerant and nice are just good biz practices and will pay off in the end.

Wow, glad your experience was so positive.

As far as signing. My first complaint about visiting the Kona in Oakland was lack of signage. One of the following TC responses was great, and I shall quote, "A business with no sign is a sign of no business."

Since opening I've been battling with the landlord. I had a beautiful neon sign designed. He said "no." Then I had a sign back-lit with gel for the lettering. "NO" Then he approved a sign like a shingle with lights illuminating it. Then last Friday he said"hold everything, I want to put an awning up.

I'm tempted to do one of 2 things: hang a cheap ass vinyl banner that reads: my landlord won't let me have a sign" -or- black out the windows and make it a hidden treasure for those who would seek out such a place. Like a speakeasy.

Anyway, glad you liked the place and soon there will be some limited ed mugs for people to steal. I mean pay for.

On 2007-08-13 10:03, Robertiki wrote:
Wow, glad your experience was so positive.

As far as signing. My first complaint about visiting the Kona in Oakland was lack of signage. One of the following TC responses was great, and I shall quote, "A business with no sign is a sign of no business."

Since opening I've been battling with the landlord. I had a beautiful neon sign designed. He said "no." Then I had a sign back-lit with gel for the lettering. "NO" Then he approved a sign like a shingle with lights illuminating it. Then last Friday he said"hold everything, I want to put an awning up.

I'm tempted to do one of 2 things: hang a cheap ass vinyl banner that reads: my landlord won't let me have a sign" -or- black out the windows and make it a hidden treasure for those who would seek out such a place. Like a speakeasy.

Anyway, glad you liked the place and soon there will be some limited ed mugs for people to steal. I mean pay for.

or see my previous threads of "aku aku sign" and "islander sign" and let me make you a nice kick ass sign like these for your front window...no need to worry about the landlord or his damn awning with this one....

I wanted to type "...or just kick him in the nuts and run like hell." but that doesn't make sense at all. Anyway I've been watching this thread for a bit now. Definitely let us all know about the mugs so us out of towners can make the trip and purchase the mugs through legitimate channels.

Let the record know that I have never stolen a mug but I did liberate a menu up at the Bellvue TV. It was my first proper drink, a Mai Tai and alcohol inspires some interesting behavior. I won't be doing that again but I treasure the menu.

F

Hmmm... I order a drink at a place called Thatch, and the mug says Trader Vic's.

Scene 1) Wow an old collectible mug, bet they got them at a discount from some restaurant supply vendor and don't know its old. It must have been some left overs since it does not say Thatch! I'm gonna take it before it gets broken in the back room by the dishwasher.

Scene 2) mugs break all the time .. they won't miss this one..

Scene 3) I just drove for hours to get here and paid $$$ for a drink and you can not keep the mug or buy a mug!

Scene 4) My girlfriend wants one so bad.....

Many brew pubs that I have been to state on the drink board by the bar and on the menu that the pint glass is $2-4 extra with a drink. I'm happy to pay that and get my souvenir legally - and more than one! Until you can offer mugs for sale I would put up a sign and a note on the menu that the mugs are not gratis with a drink. Or perhaps use them only for really expensive drinks the will cover the cost. Maybe just trusted regulars. If they ask - sell them the Trader Vic's mug for twice what you paid. (But wait till I get one on eBay first before the $$$ goes up). Looking forward to buying a Thatch mug if it is a good design.

M

Selling souvenirs is such a no-brainer. I'm surprised that it's even debated. We go to a place every once in a blue moon in Ventura California called Eric Ericson's (spelling dubious at best) and it's pretty hard NOT to walk through their souvenir store either before or after a meal. People buy all kinds of "Eric" stuff and throw it on their credit cards without blinking. By the way their prices are pricey. The food is adventurous if not always successful. Their martinis are great. The service is efficient yet robotic. Definitely an interesting experience.

You might not think this would be cost effective,
but with the savings from mug theft deterrent
it should pay for itself in no time.

Very important. You have to get the scanner
that picks up even the most skillfully hidden mugs.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 14, 2007 7:49 AM

Back when GROG was growing up, if anybody was caught stealing, they would be tied up and dragged behind a free-roaming wooley mammoth for a day. That worked really well at discouraging stealing, it would probably work pretty well for you, too. The other option was that the the whole tribe was allowed to sleep with the offender's wife. Most women were pretty ugly back then, so we usually opted to tie the offender to the mammoth.

K

GROG's option sounds like a reasonable one to me!
Then there's always a trusty Smith and Wesson 357, it's especially effective with hollow point ammo...great for a running head shot :wink:

K.

I

At Pat O'Brien's in New Orleans, you automatically pay a deposit on the glass when you order a Hurricane. The server lets you know that you can turn the glass in as you leave and get the deposit back, or you can have your glass boxed and bagged at the door. They have a smooth setup.

Unbelievable. I got a phone call from bartender Ernie. We are down to 3 volcano bowls. I started with 20.
Robert

H

On 2007-08-22 09:02, Robertiki wrote:
Unbelievable. I got a phone call from bartender Ernie. We are down to 3 volcano bowls. I started with 20.
Robert

You've let 17 bowls walk out the door? Either it's an inside job or your staff just isn't very attentive.

H

Maybe if you start docking the wait staff for missing vessels they'll be a little more on their toes.

Oh My G-D! You better be kidding...

Word was out!
This was a easy pinch !!
Surprise you have any left !!!

This calls for drastic measures. You might have to fall back onto old Hawaiian customs!:

Ancient Hawaiian punishment for simple Tiki mug theft:

Ancient Hawaiian punishment for sacrilegious Tiki BOWL theft!:

:wink:...sorry Robert, I am not making light of your situation. That really sucks! You will have to cut out the bowl drinks and put up signs holding the thieves responsible for that, or something!

17 Volcano bowls.... Dude! WTF. I mean it's a big freakin' bowl. That is so uncool. Could you collect a drivers Lic. as a deposit and they get it back when they leave? Obviously you have to do something to prevent this from happening. I think Munktiki or someone should make a Scorpion Bowl with one of those laptop security cable receivers on it. Ptooey! a pox on their livers.

"All I need are some tasty waves a cool buzz and I'm fine"
~ Spikoli

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2007-08-23 07:22 ]

T

Some really cool/ funny restaurant lore came form situations like
this.
Why don't you have a custom bowl made with a chain and a lock attached
to it then you could lock it to the table.
People would get a laugh.
And you may save a bowl or two.

Pages: 1 2 84 replies