Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Caliente May 9th-May 11th 2008 in Palm Springs

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 477 replies

Yes Mr S loved his Mr J!!!!!! There is alot of Rat Pack history at the twin palm home off of Alajo.
This is were the falling out between Frank and Lawford happened and yes,the frank Sinatra freak out with
JFK.......Frank helped JFK get the votes in Chicago with his mob connections and used his celebrity in California to help here.......but when JFK stayed at Bing Crosbys house instead of Franks that was it!!!!!
The reason I have read had to do with Sammy Davis Jr's marriage to white actress Mia Brit,JFK didn't want to get to close to that issue back in the 1960's!!!!!

I am still looking for more photo's of the cellar at the caliente tropics.

this is a great book to read on the subject of Frank Sinatra from Franks live in servant and friend.
(this book is the one that they based the movie "the rat pack" off of!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam Gambino will be doing an original piece of art for the M Modern show that is called "THE CELLAR"
I sent him the picture of the match book and some history and he is doing the rest!!!! some examples
of sames work!!!

I also added the Nancy piece because she lived at the Caliente Tropics for at least one summer!!!

SATURDAY NIGHT MAY 10th WE WILL USE HAWAIIAN BILL'S AT 11P.M. TO SUMMON THE SPIRITS OF FRANK/DEAN/SAMMY!!!
10:30 P.M. WE WILL BE PLAYING RATPACK MUSIC AND DRINKING FINE AGED RUM'S.....I ALSO BROUGHT IT A CIGAR GURU TO SELL AND EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENT CIGARS...

Nothing Say's RATPACK better then killing our self's with good old drinking and smoking!!!!

AT THE SAME TIME THE TIKI ROOM CRAWL WILL BE TAKING PLACE SO THERE IS STILL SOME OPTIONS!!!!

Let that Freaky Tiki Flag Fly,

wildsville man

Rory Snyder (A.K.A. Wildsville Man) Palm Springs Bartender Services

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-04-12 07:40 ]

Wildsville Man ~ Do you have the schedule of events for Tiki-Caliente Weekend yet?

On 2008-04-14 06:19, WooHooWahine wrote:
Wildsville Man ~ Do you have the schedule of events for Tiki-Caliente Weekend yet?

I will have a General Schedule up by the end of this week. Sorry for the wait,but this event thing is
is allot of calls and then waiting around to get replies. For me this is the only show I'm focused on, but
for most of the guy's they are so busy driving to Vegas or L.A. to think about May already. The General Schedule should do the job for you,but there will be more to come.................

This show will reek of awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT????????????

Peep's of Wildsville.
We have less then 25 days before Tiki Caliente and the fun is just about to start for us here in the Springs!!!!!!!! We have put up a General Schedule for the Events on the Tiki Caliente website today
and will be adding the information for the Wristbands by tomorrow.

GET YOUR ROOM TODAY!!!!!
http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

Also, Keep an eye on TIKIBLOG, they seem to have the heads-up on all TIKI CALIENTE activities.

http://tikiblog.typepad.com/

Also, More Vendors added to Tiki Caliente.........If you would like to be a Vendor let us know

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/vendor.html

As my closing gift to you,I will leave you with the first look at Derek Yanigers "the Gift" that
will be shown at the M Modern show on May 9th

NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT????????????????????????????

With Tiki Season officially kicked off after the Tiki Farm Parking Lot Sale, I'm sooo looking forward to Tiki Caliente!!! Three more weeks!!! See everyone there!!!

T

My niece must have looked at all the events going on that weekend and decided that was the weekend she was going to get married. So sorry I won't be able to be there.

It looks like a lot of people are heading to the Springs for Tiki Caliente!!! How about posting here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27864&forum=17&20 to let people know you're coming?!

Peep's of Wildsville,
Keep your eye's open for a Rock'in time in the Spring's May 9th-11th. We have some of the Greatest Vendors and Music lined up for all you freaks of Tiki!!!!!! Rooms are selling fast and please remember
with every room you will be recieving 2 wristbands to get into the afterparty and discounts on all Drinks.

Kid's are Free.............and the wristband's will be $20 dollars each for all people outside the package.

Wristbands for Tiki Caliente
Every room booked through tiki caliente will receive 2 wristbands to get into the events. Extra´s will be $20 dollars each, if needed.

We will be selling them at all entrances to Hawaiian Bill´s.

Do you need a wrist band? If you are just coming to see the vendors and enjoy the live music during the day, No.

If you want to see the live music and hang at the pool for the night time party,Yes!!!!

What do you get with the Wristband?

10 % off all food at Las Casita´s in the Resort
$1 off all Drinks (except special tiki mug)
Access to Events at Hawaiian Bills on Friday/Saturday/Sunday Night.(Hawaiian Bills will be closed at 7p.m. to general public)
Women with the Wristband will get free Champaign on Mothers Day

NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT?

This is a list of our awesome Vendors so far!!!!!!!!!!! We can fit in another 5 or so!!!so let me know

Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com
Happy Chi Jewelry
http://www.happychijewelry.com
Derek Yaniger
http://www.derekart.com
Tiki Magazine
http://www.tikimagazine.com
Tiki Ray Carving
http://www.tikiray.com
M Modern Gallery
http://www.mmoderngallery.com
Wildsville Man
http://www.wildsville-man.com
Swangulo Design
http://www.swangulodesign.com
Dirk Yates
[email protected]
Flat Earth Trading
http://www.flatearthtrading.com
Monkeyman Design
http://www.monkeymandesign.com
Smokin Tikis
smokin tikis
Tiki Broker
http://www.tikibroker.com
Back To Home Page

This Party is one for the ages!!!!!!!!!!!

wildsville man

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-04-21 12:28 ]

Just to keep blow'in your mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just in.........

Friday Night Pre-M Modern Party 5p.m.
We will be having the first ever BLIND TIKI MUG AND SWAP SPECIAL!!!!!!!!

What does that mean?

Anyone who has a wristband can come to Hawaiian Bills after 5p.m. and buy a cocktail for $10 and receive
one of 14 different TIKI FARM mugs to drink it in.....Soda's will be 8 dollars with the mug....

you can not pick the TIKI MUG, THE TIKI MUG WILL PICK YOU!!!!!!!!! MUGS WILL BE BEHIND THE BAR AND PICKED BY ME OR THE BARTEBDER........

DON'T LIKE YOUR MUG? THEN SWAP IT OUT WITH SOMEONE ELSE.......that's why it's a swap special also

We have 14 different mugs styles(some hard to find), and only 100 to promo with.

If we have any left we will do the same at the afterparty starting at 8:30 p.m.

The after party will feature...........Kekoa Yap and his dancing Hawaiian Girls

we will also have a B-B-Q going at Hawaiian Bills

Please remember this Event is only for Guest of Tiki Caliente with wristbands.

Now can you dig that?????????????????

do vendors get wristbands?

Great question Monkeyman,
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The wristbands are covered by the roomrate not the Vendor fee. But now that
you mention it, I would have to say that a deal on a record frame would probably do it for me. If not,
I want Twenty large in non-numeric bills or back to the dumpster area for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to frame this awesome record

Now can you dig that? See ya at the show!

wildsville man

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-04-23 11:18 ]

this is going to be good.......

Holden is now in the HOUSE!!!!!!!!!! Very cool stuff

I would like to leak but not to confirm that TIKI BAR TV looks to be coming to Tiki Caliente.
They have stated there interest but have not locked-in there rooms yet so it is just an educated guess
at this point.

P.S. there are about 30 rooms left but only 12 more of the Double Queens left,so if you want that room you
need to get in now!!!!!!!!!!!

Now can you DIG that?

Peep's of Wildsville,
Tiki Farm does not fool around.
I talk to Holden yesterday about the blind tiki give away and I come home from a late lunch and what do I see?

100 Tiki Farm Mugs........18 different kinds I believe

See ya in the Springs!!!!!!

WooHoo! Only 17 more days.... This is going to be such a fun weekend. Mucho Mahalo to Wildsville Man for all the time he has spent planning this event :)

Damn it!!!!

I'll be working in Bermuda Dunes starting the 5th but
will most likely miss this one by THAT MUCH!

( just like the Tiki Farm sale!!!)

No rest for the wicked!!!

Have fun without me Wilds.

Arrrr!!!

I was browsing around a used book store in Palm Springs last week (Yes, I am a browser,on my mothers side)
and purchased this AWESOME 1946 book by TRADER VIC......... I started reading and realized this guy had some great one-liners and real truths to tell. As a Mixer of the spirit's myself, I have to say this dedication page says it best about enjoying life and keeping a little class in the proses.

Look forward to serving the citizens of Wildsville soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Now can you DIG that????????

T

Hey Rory , have you had a chance to layout the vendors locations yet ?

For those of you who unfortunately cannot attend Tiki Caliente, we will be throwing up (hopefully not too literally) pics on Tikiblog so you can see what your missing.

It's looking like its going to be one happening weekend!

http://www.tikiblog.com
"The Official Blog of Tiki Oasis"

[ Edited by: tikiblog.com 2008-04-23 15:53 ]

On 2008-04-23 15:21, TIKI-RAY wrote:
Hey Rory , have you had a chance to layout the vendors locations yet ?

Thanks for the Question Ray,
You will be located next to the tiki by the pool,so you can see it has a ROOT-BALL on it!!!!!!

I have not lay-ed it out yet,But we will be using the back lawn area behind the pool!!!!!
Some vendors will be using the cabana's that are 6foot X 10foot (we have 10 of them)
and the rest will be on the lawn areas besides them. We are hoping all vendors will be staying
in an area around 10footX10foot.

Vendors: please keep your areas controlled. This lawn area is the Prime Location for the Event so
please don't try to block or takeover an area without the O.K. From Myself.
Vendors working from the rooms will be right next to this area too......

Ray,You and DougEFresh get first choice Since you were first to sign on and your doing the official stuff!!!!

Now can you Dig that!!!!!!!!!

What is missing from the top picture?

Ray is a hater of root-balls!!!!

wildsville man

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-04-23 20:22 ]

we are glad to be on the show at tiki caliente! we perform sunday may 11th from
2pm till 5 pm.see ya in palm springs!

T

First of all I have nothing against rootballs !!!!

Second, when you are lucky enough to get to a tree slaughter, its usually chainsawed at the ground level. Rarely do you get lucky enough anymore to find someone actually digging the whole tree up . Thats what stumpgrinders are for . And then they want to cut them in 2 foot sections to throw in the truck . You have to throw yourself between the chainsaw and the tree and say "Ill take it like it is ".Ive been looking high and low for one to add but havent found one YET . Rory's friends say they are all over the dump in Palm Springs but he hasnt mailed me one YET . If anyone knows where I can get a rootball with about an 11 inch diameter , please PM me . Better make it 2 . One for the tiki and one to shove up Rory's ... !

In answer to your question about what is missing from the top picture .
You in a Jimmy Buffet shirt . hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Now, can you dig THAT ?????

[ Edited by: Tiki-Ray 2008-04-23 19:47 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2008-04-23 19:47 ]

First of all,If you can't jump in front of a chainsaw for your Art, that shows a lack of commitment on your part. Second of all,Don't talk dirty to me or I will put your booth next to Doug's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Wait, I all ready have.

P.S. Love the Bald Tiki and I love that the "Martin Kings" are back in action at Tiki Caliente
were tiki has never been so hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT???????????????

wildsville man

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-04-23 19:52 ]

Wildsville Man, after giving it much thought, perhaps the reason the Tiki Caliente tiki is "missing something from the top" is due to it suffering from male pattern baldness??

On 2008-04-24 08:05, Tiki Kiniki wrote:
Wildsville Man, after giving it much thought, perhaps the reason the Tiki Caliente tiki is "missing something from the top" is due to it suffering from male pattern baldness??

Probably True!!!!! The problem is,that if he takes Propia for hair loss he will be having problems with his little tiki!!!!!! Or so I heard

What would you rather have, Something missing from the top or the bottom?

Now that The Martini Kings are back in the picture will Caliente Tropics be letting people do a late checkout so they can stick around to see them play at 2:00? (I know a lot of people need to head home early for Mother's Day Festivities)

Peep's of Wildsville,
More information to throw your way!!!!!

1. We had Four more vendors sign-up (they will be added to the list later this week)
    If you are interested in Vending on the Grounds pay your vendors fee soon!!!!!!! I am looking
    for maybe 4-5 more vendors!!!!! That's it!!!!

The Ad's will hit Kx96 radio/KQ92 Radio,and the local Desert Sun paper during the week before the show.
The Ad's are not to sell rooms they are for people to listen to music and see vendors.

Martini Kings on Sunday!!!!!!!! Great Question Karen (WooHoo)!!!! It's up to the Resort to do a late
check out not me. If not pack the car and then enjoy the Kings. I will see If I can get them to play alittle earlier,but Tony thought this was the Best time he could make it.
Sorry, this was a last minute change and this was all we could do........I will take the Martini Kings
anytime they want.

Last.......as my girlfriend and I were hand washing about 100 tiki mugs (Tiki Farm) for the blind tiki
exchange I seen a UPS truck pull up.....What was it?

Derek Yaniger gave us some cool promo stuff for the fan's (stickers,postcards the were hand signed from
TO back when they were in Palm Springs) and a little something for your friend WILDSVILLE MAN!!!!

It is a blast setting up this show as a fan!!!! When things become a little to business like, something like this makes it all worth while........Thanks Derek

NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT??????????????

wildsville man

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-04-24 15:21 ]

On 2008-04-24 09:07, Wildsville man wrote:

On 2008-04-24 08:05, Tiki Kiniki wrote:

Probably True!!!!! The problem is,that if he takes Propia for hair loss he will be having problems with his little tiki!!!!!! Or so I heard

What would you rather have, Something missing from the top or the bottom?

Hard decision.......I'll have to think about this one.......but the best thing about dating a tiki carver is that he has an endless supply of wood! ;o)

TMI !!!!!!!!!!! Do I have to Disinfect My Tiki before I get it from Ray? You lovebirds need not have relations in front of my tiki!!!!! It could scar it for life!!!!!!But since I hear you guy's are a newish
couple I will have to put Ray's room next to mine and listen in with a tiki mug against the wall.

HUBBA,HUBBA,HUBBA!!!!!!!!!

Okay Rory, I'm blushing now.......... :oops:

aloha friends-
jus got the word that squid will be layin down some tiki rhythms with the martini kings at caliente on sunday from 2 pm till 5pm poolside.
we welcome him to the drum chair!

photo by jonpaul balak

A little history for you all about the Caliente Tropics!!!

Caliente Tropics History:

Built in 1963 and opened in 1964, by Ken Kimes, Sr., the tropics was number 38 out of 45 motels Kimes developed in the U.S. Five of the motels were Polynesian styled. Sister Polynesian properties were located in Indio as well as Modesto, Blythe, and Rosemead. At some point in the early ‘60s, 50 condominium units were annexed on Twin Palms Drive (across the street). Those units were spun-off and turned into apartments and are no longer part of the Resort.

Our Polynesian personality is reflected not only in the architecture of the Resort, but in the accoutrements as well. Oceanic Arts, considered by many tiki-followers to be the “Grand Daddy” of Polynesian pop-culture, designed and manufactured most of the tiki gods and artifacts throughout the Resort. It is primarily these artifacts that are considered to be the most valuable to the tropics lineage. Oceanic Arts still dominates as the primary source for this pop culture niche and, in recent years, has enjoyed a major rebirth in business. Oceanic Arts is currently a primary supplier to Disney, worldwide.

In addition to Sambos (coffee shop), The Reef (cocktail lounge), the Congo Room (steakhouse), and the Cellar (basement cocktail lounge for 100!), the central building also housed the main lobby. According to locals, the tropics rocked-and-rolled during the ‘60s and ‘70s. It was frequented by members of the Rat Pack and professional ball teams (Palm Springs was a major training venue). Elvis and Nancy Sinatra liked to hang out at the pool, and Victor Mature had “his” table in the Congo Room. The tropics was to the south end of Palm Springs what the Racquet Club had been to the north end.

In the ‘80s, as Palm Springs lost its allure, the resort became an abused relic and a favorite spring break hangout. It was the scene for parades of cars cruising the parking lot, fence jumping, broken furniture, holes in walls, unruly behavior, illegal activity, and numerous visits from the Palm Springs Police. At the same time it became the site of (if not the first) Miss Hawaiian Tropics Pageant and the Reef did a booming business—to the tune of about $250,000 gross, a year.

The Resort changed hands in the late ‘80s and continued to slide until 2000. Starting in the ‘60s, as a Hyatt Lodge, then becoming a Best Western at its peak, then a Days Inn, and eventually a Rodeway Inn, the property was headed for the wrecking ball by the mid-90s. The old tropics was kicked out of Rodeway Inns, the Palm Springs Visitors Center, and the Palm Springs Desert Resorts Convention and Visitors Authority.

When it was “rescued” by the current owners, in 2000, unsavory characters were staples to the tropics “scene.” The Resort currently enjoys life as an independent property operated by Townhouse Development, Inc., and Conde Nast Johansens. It is marketed as an alternative to big “box” and chain hotels with no personality, caters to pets and non-smokers and has become a popular venue for photo shoots and cinematographers.

Fun fact: Ken Kimes, his wife (Sante) and son (Kenny), were the subject of a movie released in 2001, “Like Mother, Like Son,” starring Mary Tyler Moore and Jean Stapleton. Portrayed as a world-class con team, Sante and Kenny are currently incarcerated for murder.

S
squid posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 5:15 PM

On 2008-04-28 08:31, martini kings wrote:
aloha friends-
jus got the word that squid will be layin down some tiki rhythms with the martini kings at caliente on sunday from 2 pm till 5pm poolside.
we welcome him to the drum chair!

photo by jonpaul balak

Looking forward to it!!

Peep's of Wildsville,
Thank you for everyone who is on board with the tiki Caliente weekend. It is looking to be one awesome
party............ In this case the early bird did get the worm.....Everyone who has ordered the rooms
from the Tiki Caliente website are locked in and ready to roll. Unfortunately for people who waited til the last minute, you will have to purchase your tickets from the caliente tropics directly...at a Higher price...This will not include the price of the wristband either....

Recap: tickets are no longer on sale at the TIKI CALIENTE website except for Vendor Fee's

Look forward to seeing you in the Springs!!!!!!!!!

W

On 2008-02-08 08:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
Dig? Did you say dig? Well, that reminds me of yet another facet unique in Tiki archeology regarding the Palm Springs Tropics:
It used to have the (most likely only) basement bar in Palm Springs, THE CELLAR.

After it flooded, the whole place was filled in with dirt. Now THAT would be an archeological dig. The stairs down to it are behind the wall on the right, in the hallway between what used to be Sambo's (now the Mexican Restaurant) and the Reef Bar. It's a closet now, go and look in it, you see the access.

Now Doug, I am really curious if there is anything left of the Blythe Tropics, you might just encounter tropic blight. It used to be pretty nice, also had an A-frame porte cochere and a Sambo's:

It seems like the had a tall Tiki too, you can make it out on the right of the A-frame, it looks like the one on page 115 of Tiki Modern, with the stick thru the nose.

Here's a map of the Tiki Tropics locations, (plus the Mecca Motel in Anaheim which seemed to have been owned by Ken Kimes also):

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-02-08 19:31 ]

BigBro this one is for you and the history you bring to us here at Tiki Central.

I called our good friend Sam Gambino and Commissioned him to paint an original piece of Art showing
the Cellar in all it's glory.

The art will hang in Hawaiian Bills at Midnight Friday/Sat/Sun when we turn Bill's into the Cellar with
some RatPack Music/Movies/Cigars.

This is the original Masterpiece!!!!!!

Peep's of Wildsville,
To add more fun to this bag-o-tricks,we at Tiki Caliente would like to introduce you to our newest Guest!!!!!

TIKI BAR TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr Tiki and Lala will be at the Tiki Caliente on Friday and Saturday.

T

Send Lala over to my booth . I wanna say hi and get her in a tiki pinup shoot .

Someone needs to go into the Cellar Closet and put a plexiglass shield over the painted " The Cellar" sign.
A few years back (4?) they had a bunch of boxes jammed against it.
You all should do this before it gets scraped off.

It looks like a fun weekend coming up! Loose schedule! Lots of music and drinks! Lots of tiki vending going on! Limbo at 1am??? Craziness! http://www.tiki-caliente.com/event.html

A

Hello-

I just shipped 3 paintings off to M Modern Gallery in Palm Springs for their 5th Anniversary Show
which opens May 9 at 7pm and will be open on Sat May 10 from noon-7pm.
(Show will be up through mid-June, I hear).

These are 3 oil paintings on linen from my original Monkey Love Series:
"The Nibbler","The Examiner" and "The Teaser". So, you will get a chance to
see them in person or buy them through M Modern Gallery during this special show.
They each have beautiful black carved frames. All the same size -14 3/8" square framed.

Happy Tiki Time in Palm Springs!
http://www.amycrehore.com
http://www.amycrehore.blogspot.com

WOW!!! Those are breath-taking Amy. I can hardly wait to see them in real life. :)

O

On 2008-04-30 20:51, RevBambooBen wrote:
Someone needs to go into the Cellar Closet and put a plexiglass shield over the painted " The Cellar" sign.
A few years back (4?) they had a bunch of boxes jammed against it.
You all should do this before it gets scraped off.

Wildsville, how about a shot of the entrance and sign to the Cellar entrance?

O

Amyaloha, your paintings are so cool!

Peep's,

Just a heads-up!!!!!!!!!!! Bring CASH!!!!!!! Most of the Vendors will be set up for CASH ONLY!!!!!!
ALSO!!BLIND TIKI EXCHANGE AND WRISTBANDS ARE ALSO CASH ONLY!!!!!!! We will have directions on hands for local ATM's to help you replenish your wallets........but please remember with the amount of people who are scheduled to attend those may run out also.....

We still have room for 2 more vendors if anyone is interested....pay below

http://www.better-online-business-opportunity.com/wildsville-reservations.html

At this time most vendors should be able to get lawn areas if wanted.....

Side-note.......I am hearing from several sources that some guest are bringing things to sell from rooms
or by hand without paying the vendor fee!!!!!!!! This is a BIG NO,NO without an O.K. from myself...It isn't fair to the vendors or myself........if you have any questions please e-mail me or Pm me....Thanks

Have fun at Tiki Invasion II all,

Wildsville

A

Thanks so much for the compliments.
I think it's nice that so many Tiki people will get to see
these paintings in person.

For the names of other artists in this show:
http://amycrehore.blogspot.com/2008/05/amy-crehore-in-5th-anniversary-show-at.html

Amy

P.S. For the month of May, in celebration of Tiki, I am
having a 20% off sale on my limited edition signed
Monkey Love prints. 6 Different prints.(Free shipping)
http://www.amycrehore.com/page10.html

Did I hear someone say, "Room Parties?"

I so excited for Tiki Caliente!!! I'm leaving to come back over on Friday morning!

M

I just finished these yesterday... will be bringing for the vending portion of the event. These are two identical frames.

Note: I will only have 2... early bird gets the frame. :) $200 each

interior measurement is 16 x 24. Doug Horne will be selling a complimentary sized print for your product pairing enjoyment.

The exterior edges are all chiseled finish (hard to tell from these pics). I used a new technique (for me) on these frames.. combining router work and hand tools.

before stain and finish work

After stain and finish work.. still drying in these pics

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-05-05 09:14 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 477 replies