Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Caliente May 9th-May 11th 2008 in Palm Springs

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 477 replies

Beautiful frames Monkeyman!
And Ms. Crehore's work is always AWESOME!
Dropped off Three new paintings for the mModern Show
AND the wife and I booked Thursday and Friday night at the Caliente
with our dog Phoebe!
Here's what I'll have up on the walls there...

"the Night Rowers" 15 x 60"
(sorry-it's already sold....)

"Night Journey" 3x3'

"the Magical Tiki Tree" 60 x 15"

This should be one Swanky Event!
and the Caliente Tropics is right up the road!
Gonna be TIKITOWN this weekend!
See y'all in Palm Springs! :)

CA

friggin... lit'l lost... always ahead of the game..

well if I get it finished Tiki#144 will show up Sat!!

guess the name win mug here
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27618&forum=1&start=last&68

Vendors of Wildsville,
This is the Ad/Flyer that was placed for the Tiki Caliente weekend....It will be in the local paper/Radio spots onKx96 and Kq92 also was handed out at the classic car show this last weekend. 1,000 flyers were given out at Wang's in the Desert,Snip-snip-Buzz-Buzz,Street Fair,Local area residential,Koffie, and word of mouth.....and more

See you this weekend.............tell a friend

T

Wow Kenny, " The Night Rowers " looks like stained glass . Youre an inspiration . Anyways , theres a party in the desert and actually at the place it all started for me during Tiki Oasis 2 . Crazy Al was only a little nutz then and Holden was selling mugs out of the back of his car . I was taking orders off a card table and just felt I belonged . Those were some crazy parties out there and now we are returning to roost .This hotel has such an intimate charm . I cant wait to return . See ya there....

That neck charm look bigger and bigger every time I see it!!!!!!!!!! It looked smaller when It was in your hand vs. all the miniature furniture in the background.

M

Here is another little something that Swampfire and I have been collaborating on.... Original #1 print.. courtesy of Doug Horne.. custom frame courtesy of Monkeyman. The top and bottom are solid mahogany. Its heavy...

This will be on display at the M Modern Gallery Friday night.. swing by and check it out.. its for sale bring your piggy bank.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-05-05 16:45 ]

B
Babalu posted on Mon, May 5, 2008 6:06 PM

Mr. Monkey,

It was cool watching that frame go together. Top self crazy good stuff! Swamp Fire must in a state of stoke.

R

Monkeyman-
So, when is "Frame Building Day" gonna be?

P
pablus posted on Mon, May 5, 2008 7:32 PM

Incredible, awesome work.
Derek, this this your best piece that I've seen. How dare you, I thought my shelf frame would be the pinnacle. :wink:

Doug's work is already great and that frame seals the deal so nicely.

Hey Monkeyman,

Love the frame, but if you are willing to give it away for the amount in my piggy-bank, your gonna have to live off of some canned beans.

TMF

It's been a long time a coming! But, looking forward to get back into the swing of things again!

Monkeyman,
I am very impressed!!!!!!!! Looking forward to some Awesome fun in the Sun with the best that Tiki has to offer......Being a fan myself makes it very fun and not to profitable. But my house is becoming quite Tikirific!!!!!!

I will be around Thursday for the early birds coming to town!!!!!!!!!!!

Catch ya on the flip-side!!!!!!! DIG?

Be good or bad kitty will get ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek, that frame is rad.

The stone pattern is incredible.

Great concept and execution!

Love the other little carvings also.

Teamed with Doug's print, that is one hell of a nice work of art.

P

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-05-05 16:45 ]

monkeyman, thant's just too sweet. you just keep getting better and better.

yes, i'll be there and yes, i'll be vending. i worked on a project with alohastation and made beautiful, limited edition pendant for this weekend. it's a cannibal tiki on a necklace with tibetan, bone skulls. it's pretty cool. i'll also have other jewelry and some jade things. i'm very excited.

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 5, 2008 11:40 PM

Those frames look great Monkeydude!!!

Peep's of Wildsville,

On Friday night from 8:30p.m. til 10:30p.m. we will have Tradition Dancing and Music by the Pool area at Hawaiian Bills. This afterparty from the M Modern show is for Guest with wristbands only!!! During this time you will have the ability to buy a traditional Hawaiian meal or basic B-B-Q.

This is a little information on the nights entertainment........you can hang out in the pool and watch the show if interested.

This is our Kumu, Kekoa Yap. He is a native
of Maui, HI from Lahaina. Our Kumu is the
most decorated male solo hula dancer in the
world with six (6) hula championships.
Kumu Kekoa dances with the inspiration
attributed to his mother the late Lily K. Yap.

Kekoa Yap has danced with the Men of
Waumapuna under Kumu Hula Darrell Lupenui,
Kumu Hula Holoua Stender. He also credits
his training from other distinguished Kumu
Hula such as Cliff Pali Ahue, Akoni Akana,
Keali'i Reichel, Uluwehi Guerrero, and not to
mention hula workshops with Hula Master
George Naope and Aunty Hokulani Padilla and
the late Leilani Sharpe Mendez.

http://www.owailehua.com/about_us.html

B

That frame is so bitchin' Derek. You have really integrated Doug's poster nicely.

Just to let you all know the t-shirt separations are all done, and we will be printing within the next few days. I will post the actual pics of the printed samples when we have them done. Each shirt will have a bar coaster with Doug Horne's info on one side, and Team Tiki Tee's info on the other. Also a neck label will be on the the back neck commemorating the event.

Due to lots of requests we will also be doing a girl's shirt with the blowfish from the poster on center chest. They will be black and available on Tanks and V-Neck shirts. The guys is on a chocolate brown color and sizes s-xxl. The price for both will be approx $20. Both shirts are high quality 100% cotton Allstyle shirts with a high weeve so they breath very nicely.

We are planning on have Doug selling them with the rest of his goods all weekend. He can even sign the bar coaster if you'd like.

I'll keep you posted!

Very cool shirt Biff!!! And a coaster hang-tag to go with it? Nice!

I used to work with Andy,the Team Tiki printshop genius
during my days with Hawaiian Island Creations
and i can vouch for his abilities to make an image POP on a shirt!
His attention to detail,and desire for perfection are TOPS!
...the man is a meticulous Master!
and he built a Tiki Bar in his printshop!
How cool is that?
The teaming of him with Bif,another genius on the technical/graphic end
guarantees some way exciting tees from these guys in the future!
Congrats you guys!
:)

A

Beautiful t-shirts!

B

Shameless Self-Promotion Alert!

Well apparently Jay over at M Modern had a blank wall-space in the back somewhere, because he asked the ol' BigToe to shlep out some art-woiks.

I am bringing the re-framed "Ruby's Dilemma" and a couple smaller 'Haole tikis'.

Hope to see y'all on Fridee night!

Alohas, Toe-fu

CA

nothing like glazing and firing mugs two days before delivery!!

oh' crap it's 11:AM already.........

shit... carve or glaze.. carve or glaze..carve or glaze..carve or glaze..carve or glaze..carve or glaze..carve or glaze..carve or glaze..carve or glaze..carve or glaze..carve or glaze..carve or glaze..carve or glaze..

Getting Biff and Andy involved with the tee's was a no brainer. When we were first setting up the idea of Tikiville now Tiki Caliente we had a tee guy lined up already. But when Biff invited me to his home and showed me what a fan he was, and what he was able to do I had to make the phone call to change vendors.

Biff and Andy are true Tiki Fan's and these are the people we want to support. These first shirts are limited art...........like getting Shag's first print.

How can you say no to guy's with a fireplace like this....

Hey lil lost, thanks for the props. I need to get the pics of the "Congo Bar" posted huh? looking forward to the weekend. See you out there!

R

On 2008-05-06 10:48, crazy al wrote:
oh' crap it's 11:AM already.........

shit... carve or glaze.. carve or glaze..carve or glaze....

Al-
Congratulations on being so regular. I didn't know that you were a member of Team Metamucil.

T

Yeah!! A tank for the girls. Love the blowfish against black. Very Cool, I can not wait to get one.

....still tryin' to go :( ..... could see me there yet................

M

there is no TRY.... just DO

:) hehe

O

Everyone planning on attending the Rat Pack tribute is invited to try the Diplomatico rum courtesy of David Stare of Dry Creek Vineyard.
After trying this rum at the wine tasting, I wanted to purchase a bottle but they wanted it to be shared by all at the Rat Pack tribute so they made it a gift. Stop by at midnight and join us in the toast. Thanks again David and Kirk

On 2008-05-07 15:53, Monkeyman wrote:
there is no TRY.... just DO

:) hehe

whelp ... I'm outta the work situation for the weekend, anyone looking for a room share?

"it's cause I'm fat. Isn't it"

Wanna-be Vendors to Tiki Caliente,
Please pay your vending fee by Thursday night. I will be on grounds of the Tropics first thing in the morning on Friday and away from my PC to check my account. I had several vendors express interest in the past couple of days and was unable to find some of the contact information (Sorry)

Love to have some more vendors as part of the Show.

Now can you DIG that?

P
pdrake posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 8:09 PM

more and more stuff is piling into my head. there's not enough time to make it all before this weekend.

i'm finishing up some jewelry with exotic hard woods and thought this looked really cool. that's the natural color of the wood on the sand paper. can't wait to see everyone in the springs!

Peep's of Wildsville,
When you come down Palm Canyon to get to the Caliente Tropics stop at the old Don the Beach Comber's.
It's now a place that sells Bronze Statues. But look close and you will see the metal Tiki head torch's
on the top of the building

Now can you Dig that?

M Modern Palm Springs

On Friday, May 9th, 2008 @ 7:00pm

Our "5th Anniversary" Group Exhibition
& TIKI Event
DEREK YANIGER solo ehxibition
LYLE MOTLEY solo exhibition

http://www.mmodern.com/

Be there or be square...... I'll be there!

B

This Just in: I dropped off 5 paintings with the fine folks at M Modern last night, so don't be surprised to see a few familiar (tiki) faces of mine... Although Frame-Fetish has done an AMAZING re-frame on "Ruby", and i have done an extensive rework on the "Lucky Hula Girl".

look forward to seeing y'all!

Alohas, Toe-jam

WOOHOO! Viva Tiki Caliente!!! The SoccerTiki Mobile is packed to the max (with what I do not know)and we are ready to leave. Looking forward to seeing everyone at Caliente Tropics. We are staying in Room #135

Just a reminder....

ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ALL TC TIKIPHILES STAYING AT THE CALIENTE....

WHAT: Continental Breakfast
WHERE: Vamp & Corona Contessa's Room #149
WHEN: 10 am on Sunday morning
SERVING: A pastry & your choice of a FORMICA (that is a Vamp/Corona Contessa Formosa concoction)

YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAW :tiki:

SF

On 2008-05-08 12:39, VampiressRN wrote:
Just a reminder....

ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ALL TC TIKIPHILES STAYING AT THE CALIENTE....

WHAT: Continental Breakfast
WHERE: Vamp & Corona Contessa's Room #149
WHEN: 10 am on Sunday morning
SERVING: A pastry & your choice of a FORMICA (that is a Vamp/Corona Contessa Formosa concoction)

YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAW :tiki:

Wow! Continental Breakfast! Count us in. What a gesture, thanks Vampiress!

Below is a piece I did for the M Modern show. The inspiration came from our friends Ron (Bongo Fury) and his wife Mickee. Stacey and I stayed at their beautiful home a few weeks back. The tiki in the drawing is in their dining room. I asked Ron where it came from and he lead me to the following thread. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12478&forum=1&14
A great piece of Urban Tiki Archelogy if you have not seen the thread check it out.

See ya Friday night, good times ahead!!

SF

Stacey will have some of her fantastic jewelry at the show. She's unveiling a new watch and necklaces
she created specially for the event with the poster art.
You can see more of her jewelry at
http://www.happychijewelry.com or better yet, see it in person @ the show this weekend!

Room 135 is open! Happy hour at 7???

A few early partiers...

Anyone seen Derek around??? Wheeew!!!!!!

"Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2008-05-08 17:32 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, May 8, 2008 5:33 PM

Nice work Swamp. Your style with the black paper is as defined as your well-known digital work

The Wildsville Family will be in #135 right at 7p.m.

EVERLAST GIRL

MARTY THE PARTY

THE MAN WITH THE WRONG SHIRT ON!!!!!!!!

B

Well Folks,

I just got back from the press check for the shirts, and they came out awesome!!
Here's some pics of the printing process.

All the shirts are bagged and have a bar coaster hangtag. After discussing with Doug & the printer we havent settled on the cost yet. But because of all the extra colors & love we put into this one, I know it will be between $20-$25. This will be the maiden voyage of Team Tiki shirts. We hope to bring you many more with all your favorite tiki artists soon!

See ya in the sun!!

Biffachu

[ Edited by: biffachu 2008-05-08 18:00 ]

[ Edited by: biffachu 2008-05-08 19:23 ]

T

Hey Rory , did you get a free bowl of soup with that shirt ?

Are we talking ROOT bowl? Because I wish I got one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now can you dig that?

Now stop troll'in around,your becoming like Ben!!!!

T

Hey , you dont have to get shitty about it . .....hahaha

GT

Looking forward to all the fun! Dani and Gogo

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-05-08 19:23 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 477 replies