Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

the only Las Vegas TIKI BAR ....Frankie’s Tiki Room 24/7 baby!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 430 replies

Down towards the botton of the page....

http://www.providingnews.com/conde-nast-traveler-unveils-its-13th-annual-hot-list.html

Conde Nast Traveler .... Now, tiki is getting somewhere! :)

my Rubys Dilema ! Thanks BIG TOE and FRANKIES!

tried to come as close as I could afford to the propper framing, worth the wait ! lol

A

Finally saw the inside this week after a 5 month wait from seeing just the outside. Nice work Ben and everyone! Full immersion. Tiki fog machines are where it's at.

Now all it needs is a strategic yet subtle sprinkling of zazz buttons.

-Randy

B

Right on Tikiville!!!!

thanks for the support!!

if ur in So Cal, go to Crazy Mike at The Picture Show Gallery in Seal Beach. Best deals on bamboo look frames. and a really fun place to visit!!!! tons of tiki!!!

On 2009-05-21 14:09, TIKIVILLE wrote:
my Rubys Dilema ! Thanks BIG TOE and FRANKIES!

tried to come as close as I could afford to the propper framing, worth the wait ! lol

haven't been to the sandy state in a couple years but that sounds like a great reason!
well ....that and the OASIS...( keeping my wallet closed aint easy)

The WILDMAN From WILDSVILLE will be in Vegas starting the 26th. If you want to bend some elbow I'll be your wingman!!!!! Now can you Dig that?

Took my little brother to Frankies last night for his 21st birthday. Carmello the bartender knew his first drink as an official legitimate of age and first tiki bar experience was to be a Zombie. He drank that with the bravado of a matador fighting a bull. He finished that one and requested an Irish car bomb. I looked at him with dissapointment and reminded him he was in a tiki bar and that there is no Guiness in Frankies. He decided to go with a Bender Ender, which he drank out of his new tiki mug and sipped on that one a little more cautiously and began to feel a little warm and fuzzy. We did a tour of Frankies and admired all the artwork and carvings and i gave him a little background on the artists. Mrs. Mongoloid did the Shag hidden vice game and it was revealed she was into Smut! Carmello set off the fog machine in front of the massive Crazy Al tiki and we watched Camp Burlesque on the flat screen and listened to Exotica and surf music from the juke box. He finished with a mai tai and looked at me and confessed that he was drunk. I smiled and hugged him and wished him Happy Birthday! Frankies is an amazing place with the collaboration of all the top notch artists and carvers that has a cozy feel and the drinks are excellent. I wish it was in my backyard, but my brother who lives in Vegas told Carmello that he will be seeing him again soon. Before we left this morning to come back to So Cal i woke him up to say goodbye and he sat up and said he was still drunk. I told him to check into rehab or go back to Frankies.

Moss wanted me to tell all the Tiki Freaks that Frankies is now Tweeting?

twitter.com/FrankiesTiki

Also Facebooking and Myspacing too.

Enjoy.

bump...

Just back from Las Vegas... made it to Frankies... WOW!

Absolutely love the place-- this is what tiki bars are meant to be! First, as you get to the parking lot, you notice that this is a small, unassuming building. (Perfect!) Then, as you enter you see nothing. That's because your eyes need to adjust to the dark interior. (Perfect!) Then you see how every square inch is great tiki, no attempt at pleasing everyone. (Perfect!) Then you taste your Zombie... Perfect!

Tiki fans should not miss Frankies!

2 or 3 times every week we will send out a tweet with a secret word of the day. Be among the first 3 people to stop by Frankie's Tiki Room and say the secret word to the bartender and your first drink is free.

Check us out at twitter.com/FRANKIESTIKI and every week you might be drinking on the house.

Mahalo

P. MOSS

via Bamboo Ben

M

SWANGULO DESIGN will be there!
I (big mike) will be playing in our Punk-DEVO-cover band at the double down Sept 18th and plan on visiting the one and only Tiki Bar for sure (possibly every day from 16th-20th. We have been looking forward to seeing/drinking at this place since it opened and we have a perfect opportunity to do so now.
Cant wait!

S

We're finally making it to Frankie's this weekend! Boyfriend is playing Double Down during ROLLERCON (with Pat Todd & the Rankoutsiders) and we plan to hit Frankie's beforehand.

Allegedly 108 degrees on Saturday, so I can't wait for a frosty tiki cocktail in what looks to be an incredible setting.

Woohoo!

This was taken last month. I love my mugs. The bearded clamshell hit the spot.

Liddle Lola

[ Edited by: LiddleLola 2009-08-21 14:49 ]

I finally made it out to Vegas and got to see Frankie's. Wow, what an awesome bar. Ben and all the artists did a fantastic job. It's the kind of bar most people wish was in their hometown. Here are some current pics of Frankie's.

my brother

this is what it looks like your first 15 minutes in the place.... took forever for my eyes to adjust!

Looking forward to my next Vegas trip even more than usual now...

J

Wow it looks like you were there pretty early. The place looks empty.

That's the great thing about Frankie's, you can have Zombie's for breakfast !!

Tuesday, around 2:00 pm.

KT

I'm sure Frankie's is a great bar, but until I make it over that way I'll have to make do with the mug I ordered from the website. Thanks guys, for firstly having a webstore that ships over to the other side of the world at the click of a button and for secondly doing it so promptly. I really don't now why more bars don't do the same thing. And thanks for the bonus swizzles and matches!

Here are a couple of shots I took a few years ago (pre-tiki)...

TK

i'm dying to get to here and trader vic's. trying to talk my wife into a trip for our 25th anniversary.

J

Nice pre-Tiki pics. BTW, your Flicker photos of Las Vegas signage are GREAT.

(Also TV is dust - http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31425&forum=1&vpost=497619 )

Here's a review of pre-Tiki Frankie's that I posted earlier....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30590&forum=1&vpost=426613

The great thing about Frankie's is that even though it's Tiki Revival, it still has a mid-century Las Vegas soul. I'm glad that P. Moss left the exterior and original signage intact.

I had an interesting conversation there this last weekend. A weathered older gentleman came in on Saturday afternoon and ordered a Long Island Ice Tea. He commented on how much the place had changed. I asked him how long he had been coming in. Here's how our conversation went:

He: "Let me ask you a question. Who were the first people in Las Vegas?"
JOHN-O: "That would have been the Indians."
He: "OK, who came next?"
JOHN-O: "The Mormons."
He: (impressed) "OK, and then after that?"
JOHN-O: "I would have to say organized crime."
He: "Wrong, it was the Railroad(ers)."

He said he worked on the railroad and that Frankie's had been a former hangout for those workers. He had been coming in for decades. He insisted that the bar (under a different name?) had been in operation since the 1940's. I told him that would make it the oldest operational bar in town. I was skeptical since I thought Frankie's dated back to 1964 and Atomic Liquors has the first LV liquor license from the early 1950's. At any rate, he seemed pretty sure of this fact.

He then went on to complain how the former management fired one of his favorite bartenders because she was getting too old and that the place went to hell after that. I would have kept our conversation going but then some young hipster dude came in and sat between us.

"Hipster dude" was a downtown bartender who had come in for the first time, always wondering what was inside the funky building. He was ordering shots and beers, but I then suggested one of the Tropical specialties. He ordered a Zombie and after the first sip, expressed a "Whoaa !!". Another Tikiphile is born. :)

Gotta love Frankie's. Along with keeping former decades-old customers, it's a major discovery for a new generation. :D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-21 11:16 ]

Uhhhhh! Sorry! Trader Vic's is already history. You didn't miss much, except the half price mug sale at the end. Don't worry, Frankie's makes up for it, both with drinks & decor.

On 2009-12-21 10:11, talo ka wrote:
i'm dying to get to here and trader vic's. trying to talk my wife into a trip for our 25th anniversary.

J

On 2010-01-14 09:27, RevBambooBen wrote:

http://www.nightclub.com/nightclub-bar-show-toast-2010-nightclub-bar-awards-finalists

Great press !!

However I gotta say the rest of that list is the 2010 Nightclub & Bar Awards "of douchebaggery". I fear it will only lead to more of same frequenting our beloved Frankie's.

We as Tikiphiles are then left diminished.... :(

Frankie's Rocks! The place has a perfect atmosphere of classic Tiki bar ambiance,yet a time machine vibe, like it is 1960's cocktail time.
with the few updates i.e. jukebox, that feel just right.

Ben,Moss and everyone else who put the place together did a great job, Frankie's is my favorite Tiki Bar, Bar None!

TM

On 2009-12-21 10:53, JOHN-O wrote:

He: "Let me ask you a question. Who were the first people in Las Vegas?"
JOHN-O: "That would have been the Indians."
He: "OK, who came next?"
JOHN-O: "The Mormons."
He: (impressed) "OK, and then after that?"
JOHN-O: "I would have to say organized crime."
He: "Wrong, it was the Railroad(ers)."

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-21 11:16 ]

I was just watching a DVD series about the Mob and Vegas, and it said the same thing: The railroad workers.

I am the bass player for Thee Swank Bastards and DJ Beelzebozo Partidge. Just Letting all of you know that every First Friday I will be spinning records in Frankie's from 10pm till at least 2am. On the platter will be surf, exotica, garage, and a tad bit of soul and funk. Call me at 702-324-3848 or email me at [email protected] I expect to see you all there.

I am the bass player for Thee Swank Bastards and DJ Beelzebozo Partidge. Just Letting all of you know that every First Friday I will be spinning records in Frankie's from 10pm till at least 2am. On the platter will be surf, exotica, garage, and a tad bit of soul and funk. Call me at 702-324-3848 or email me at [email protected] I expect to see you all there.

"...

MIDNIGHT MOSS

My latest read is a collection of short stories written by a long-renowned Las Vegas saloon owner that begins with the sentence: "Two naked girls."

This is how "Blue Vegas," by P Moss, is ignited. I got my mitts on an advance copy of this collection of 17 based-in-Vegas short stories during a late-night visit to Frankie's Tiki Room on Friday. The "Blue Vegas" official release date is March 2, its listed price is $14.95, and its published by CityLife Books, a division of Stephens Press (owned by the company that owns the Review-Journal). The amassed stories, with such titles as "The Curse of Frank Sinatra," "Plastic Jesus," and "The 8:16 To Nowheresville" promise to reflect Moss' obtuse observations of a city he adopted as his hometown when he opened Double Down Saloon in 1992.

Moss said Friday that his plans to expand beyond the two Vegas taverns and Double Down
in New York are on hold, for now.
Be happy with what you have, is how he termed it.

Always inventive with his cocktail selection, Moss also mentioned that Frankie's offers one of the city's most extensive rum collections. An example: Just one case of the 30-year-old Appleton Estate Rum has been distributed in the state of Nevada. Frankie's has two bottles, which retail for just under $500 apiece, and is sold at $79 a shot at the Tiki Room. The other 10 bottles are owned by Manardin Oriental at CityCenter. It's a pretty heady inventory for a man whose most famous drink is either Ass Juice or the Bacon Martini, both served at Double Down.
(I was tempted to try this 30-year-old rum,
but it would have cost us a lot more than $79.)
..."
http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/2009/feb/10/21668/

TS

FINALLY, I am headed to Vegas, nearly after 4 years and my first stop without a joke is Frankies. I am really looking forward to it... I havent been this excited to go to Vegas since Taboo Cove, and earlier VLV years! Thursday night and maybe Friday night, time permitting. No need to report back, as I already know its going to be great!

W

I've got Tiki lovin friends doin Vegas (As I type!) and I want to pass along some recommendations for drinks at Frankie's.

So recommend. (Please.)

On 2010-06-23 09:32, woofmutt wrote:
I've got Tiki lovin friends doin Vegas (As I type!) and I want to pass along some recommendations for drinks at Frankie's.

So recommend. (Please.)

the drinks with the most sculls....

T

The new mug is super cool

Is Frankie's closed?

On 2010-08-24 00:24, christiki295 wrote:
Is Frankie's closed?

NO WAY! Why do you ask? Frankie's is going strong and even had two room parties last Saturday and Sunday at Oasis. Frankies is still open 24/7 !

T

Is Frankie's closed?

I'm curious too. What would make you ask that?

On 2010-08-24 07:08, TikiPug wrote:

Is Frankie's closed?

I'm curious too. What would make you ask that?

I saw an internet posting last night that said it was, and feared the worst.
But, now that I actually called, I received an answer.

Maybe next time you could call first before posting panic inducing questions? :o

On 2010-08-24 07:39, Bora Boris wrote:
Maybe next time you could call first before posting panic inducing questions? :o

The sad truth is that in about 5 years, I have seen so many Tiki bars close (Hawaiian Hut, Holokai, Luau, Taboo/Venus, Tahiti, Tonga Room, Mr. Tiki's, Trader Vic's, etc.) that when I read that, I was not even surprised, as I have been conditioned to expect nothing less.

M

On 2010-08-24 08:27, christiki295 wrote:

On 2010-08-24 07:39, Bora Boris wrote:

The sad truth is that in about 5 years, I have seen so many Tiki bars close (Hawaiian Hut, Holokai, Luau, Taboo/Venus, Tahiti, Tonga Room, Mr. Tiki's, Trader Vic's, etc.) that when I read that, I was not even surprised, as I have been conditioned to expect nothing less.

I undertand. Sometimes businesses secretly close. Why I'll never know. The Kahiki blowout (thanks to Otto) gave alot of us advance warning that we better go see it fast or be left out. As for Pug and I, we go pretty much once a week so we would have heard if there was trouble. Plus, at least with Frankies, you could call them 24 hours a day with any questions!
As for that false internet posting, hopefully you can either reply to it-or contact the poster to have them correct it. Bad info like that can cause trouble if left uncorrected! Thanks!

J

The sad truth is that in about 5 years, I have seen so many Tiki bars close (...Tonga Room...)

FYI, the Tonga Room in San Francisco is NOT closed.

I was there a few weeks ago and it was very much open and booming with business. Go now while you can.

On 2010-08-24 09:37, JOHN-O wrote:

The sad truth is that in about 5 years, I have seen so many Tiki bars close (...Tonga Room...)

FYI, the Tonga Room in San Francisco is NOT closed.

I was there a few weeks ago and it was very much open and booming with business. Go now while you can.

Good point.

December 15th! 2018!!

Frankie's Tiki Room 10th Anniversary!

See you there!!!

T

"I undertand. Sometimes businesses secretly close. Why I'll never know."

They do it that way because if they sell they want people to think everything is the same as it ever was, business as usual.

BUT especially tiki places cuz of the cool stuff, Once people hear it is closing they start taking stuff to remember it by, and or the workers start taking stuff and don't do much at the end.

They also don't want to go through the many questions of "why are you closing" " man we are going to miss you" a lot of times the owner might think, man we are going to miss you? then why did you not come in enough to keep us open.

Lastly the owner may not be sure he or she could keep from breaking down and crying facing the people he served and the loss of the place he loved.

Glad it's still open, cool place.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 430 replies