Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

MAY 3rd. nooner at bamboo ben ...with Smokin Mini's, tikiyaki o!, exotiki ! and the hula girls!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 447 replies

NAMETAGS!
put yer TC name and real one underneath
It's gonna be a Split personality Day!
:)

and another thing...
This is a NOONER!
it BEGINS at NOON!
Please allow us time to relax
and breathe deeply
and set-up
until then....
Seeing as I'm on Rant jag lately....

Seems like every event
Civilians
(ie:UN-vendors and UN-band members and UN-staff)
show up early and start to wander around
interacting with the folks
TRYING to set up their booths and gettin their gear together
so y'all can have a fun time...
not appreciated...really

EarlyBirds WILL BE PUT TO WORK
heavy lifting/menial and often degrading tasks
to keep y'all out of our hair til NOON!

Thank you.
Wear your nametag...

TS

Maybe y'all should have said this shindig starts at 2pm.....That way, the people who don't know how to tell time would wind up there at noon...problem solved for future events.... :lol: :P
Btw, how is parking down there? If I go, I'm thinking of taking my classic for a cruise...

Park just south of Yorktown on Beach Blvd.

2 big buildings with lots.

Sorry, but no room for a car show this time..

...all tiki's!

On 2009-05-02 09:28, little lost tiki wrote:
and another thing...

EarlyBirds WILL BE PUT TO WORK
heavy lifting/menial and often degrading tasks
to keep y'all out of our hair til NOON!

Thank you.

BUMP!!!

L

Not only BUMP but please everyone take pics..esp of the artist's work for sale.

I am super bummed that I can't see Lake Surfer's pieces in person.

Have fun y'all!

X

my lady and i will be there! whether or not we'll have nametags on is yet to be decided. (couldn't find any at the corner rite aid!) can't wait though!!!

S
squid posted on Sat, May 2, 2009 6:52 PM

I'll have some extra name tags if'n y'all fergit.

P
pete_b posted on Sat, May 2, 2009 7:27 PM

Ben you crazy F**K who is the band! Civil Disobedience would play but Pat has to take his daughter to OPENING DAY at the yacht club. Beek will probably be there in a blue blazer and Khakis!!!

remember me...

[ Edited by: pete_b 2009-05-02 19:29 ]

M
mieko posted on Sat, May 2, 2009 7:52 PM

Getting everything finished up now, this is going to be a great event! See you all tomorrow!!

The Pineappleman plans to drop by
http://www.myspace.com/Pineapplemanmrdiff

TS

Planning to do Schooner or Later in the morning for brunch, then most likely off to Benjammins nooner with some smart beer...

I'm gonna sleep in the pet cemetary across the street
JUST so i can be ready to get up and go in an instant!
I'll be between POOPSIE and NANA if you need me!

TOMORROW!

NO EARLY BIRDS!

WEAR YOUR NAMETAGS!

On 2009-05-02 21:15, little lost tiki wrote:

TOMORROW!

NO EARLY BIRDS!

I would really like to see YOU stop me, :D

We were going to have Ku Ku aka Kevin from Santa Cruz, band play at the end but....it's pushing the envelope a bit. They were the Squares back in the day. Or, still are! Saw Ku Ku today and he was stoked that he and his old friends got back together and were able to practice and said they probably would have never got back together. At least something great came out of it.

.....then the rest of the Nor Cal Tiki Freaks showed up.. An awesome bunch!

Cars are cleared out of the lot. Sawdust down on the oil drips.

See y'all after NOON tomorrow!

p.s. if everything goes right tomorrow, maybe we'll do another one mid summer.

AF

Could the 'Nooner" bar scene be any better than it was at Beal St. in Memphis??

Darn right it will be. It's in So Cal @ Bamboo Ben's!

[ Edited by: A frame 2009-05-03 06:48 ]

Is it noon yet?

CJ

Is there any good breakfast spots around Ben's. I need to get some food prior.

Major mahalos to The Boo's for hosting such a fun afternoon. What a great way to "kick off" Tiki season. (Then again, isn't EVERY season, "Tiki Season?" I like to think so...)

Great music, great people, great stuff to buy...

And, is it just me, something in the air, or what? Tons of hugging going on. I'm feeling the love, people. How about you?

BK

Pictures you lunkheads! Pictures!!!!! PLEEEAAAASSSSE!!!!!

What a beautiful day! The weather, art, folks adorned in name tags! And I got a hug from about 12 Kinnys! I'm on Kinny overload, as there was a surplus of Kinny.

And my kids wouldn't stop talking about how cool he is. Even inspired the Professional Loafer!

But THEN...Come to find out about Ravenne's resume. Forget it!! Tim and Eric all the way home! I'll be lucky if I can exploit them for their artistic talents after that.

"I feel like I've met a real celebrity!!"- Klare Weeeeeeber

(someone grab a wooden spoon, cuz I look like I'm about to swallow my tongue)

What a fun time! Met some great people, had a few beers, and even snagged that elusive Island Hopper decanter!

What a great way to start tiki season off!

Mahalos to Ben and Mrs. Bamboo! Awesome day with lots of Aloha and SO much fun to meet and talk story with The Ba and Aunty Mare. Music was fab, amazing art, beautiful people, and Hale 'Ole is just...WOW! A perfect day!

The Boo Tribe wants to THANK EVERYONE!!!

For, EVERYTHING!!!!

I'm speachless!

(serious! :)

T

Here are a few pictures from Ben's nooner. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The vendors & the bands were great! & the weather was perfect.

Ben & Family, thank you for a great day.
Mike & Karen

Ben and Mrs.Boo,
Thank you SO much for thinking of me for this event. It's a total honor and it could not have been a more perfect day. Grace and I were overcome with the sleepies on the way to the Beachcomber, so we just turned around and headed home, totally exhausted. GREAT event, man. Thank you to Moss, Kat, and everyone who bought EVERY SINGLE ONE of my wifes paintings and contributing to the"Get Patsy out of jail Fund" for my impounded and vicious Doxie. I'm burnt to a crisp, but going to bed happy as hell.

It was a very nice surprise to see the North Bay crew out in such force as well, you guys are Tiki TROOPERS! Since I missed the Beachcomber this time around, I'll have to have two Mai Tais with you next time(poor me!)

TIKI CARVERS! Lets have a freakin' CHOP already!

The Daves, Toe, Thomas, Mieko and family, Big Ed, Buzzy&Christine, Soccer&WooHoo, Boris, Grog(thanks for the hopeful Futurama news, my fingers are crossed!), Mecula, Picture Show Mike and family, Ravenne, Holden, and anyone else I may have missed, it was great as usual to see you all.

PS, Squid, Bella is totally stoked to finally have a tiki I don't take away from her. Thank you very much for her little Moai, she loves it.

AF

Before the "Nooner", I stopped by this other noontime event just South of HB!

Though not much Tiki, they had buckets of finger lickin' good food. But with the swine flu deal going on, me and Herb decided to jump in the Tijuana Taxi and head North to Bamboo Ben's!

We asked the Colonel to go with us but he chickened out...

The new decor at Ben's shop ROCKS!

F#@$ I'm sunburned!

I saw more beet red lobster people by the end of the day...

Thanks so much to all who came out and said "hey", bought some stuff, or wore a nametag.

Thanks to the bands for playing.

thanks to Notch for bringing the bar.

and special thanks to the Boos for doing all this!

Buzzy Out!

in retrospects, sunscreen would have been a good call. other than that it was a great way to spend a sunday!

There was SPF50 in my toolbox, nutsack. You're Peruvian, anyways. Hundreds of years of mall parking lot Pan-flute playing in the blazing sun has made your people impervious to the suns' damaging effects.

Thanks for the postings and pictures for those of us :cry: who couldn't be there in person. Can somebody tell me who's booth this is?
I am in love with a couple things in this picture and would love to contact them! Thanks.

On 2009-05-04 01:46, Bewitched By Tiki wrote:
Thanks for the postings and pictures for those of us :cry: who couldn't be there in person. Can somebody tell me who's booth this is?
I am in love with a couple things in this picture and would love to contact them! Thanks.

That's Big Ed Glotfelty, Tiki Broker. Orange, CA. Very cool guy!

TM

It was a GREAT event, Ben!

Thanks so much!!

Great seeing and meeting (and re-meeting!) everyone!

A big thanks to the Mr. B Ben's for their hospitality and warmth! And for the constant running around, making sure everyone was hydrated, fed and had a car to drive home! (thanks for the heads up on the immanent towing) Big mana from the whole Fam... The Aunties told me they love how this group always has such fun and how nice they all are. I told them this group could make a party out of a glass of water and a cracker! Laughing pretty good, they said that pretty much summed us up.

The warmth of the sun was nothing compared to the warmth of the awesome TC kin(ny) and tribe! Great to meet (or re-meet-sorry for the swiss cheese memory!) Mrs. BB, BB, Kiki (and your daughter, is it Little Blue Tiki she’s going by?) and Rav, LLT, Grog, and great to see the everyone else I DO remember Soccer (No Woo Hoo…boo-hoo!) and Squid and Mieko and Stacey and Gene (been a bit since I last saw you!)

And what a trip you made, Mai Tai!! I forgot to ask if Coco was with you?! Awesome to see you again! If your still in town tonight, let’s (all-anyone-everyone) meet up at Don’s!

MAN. I GOTTA come to more of these things so I don’t feel like I’m playing catch up each and every time. It’s like seeing Aunt Gladys at the family reunion every 10 years or something.

The Mr. says he had a swell time and thanks to all who encouraged The Boy and young daughter. And he was laughing so much at LLT and Squid and yous guys!

The Boy (aka Pro Loafer) loved watching Billy carve-got him motivated. By the way: Who’s the genius that told him he should make tiki crack pipes?! How am I going to explain THAT one to my parents?

The music was, obviously, awesome. Not just the live guys, but Ben’s son’s mix! My 14 year old daughter was pleased.

I wanted to buy everything I saw! Talent in spades, all.

Sorry I took so long in the facilities…I was mesmerized by the Buzzy pics. Like a train wreck, I couldn’t look away!

All in all, such a lovely time! Thanks to ALL who work so damn hard to put something like this together!

M

As i stood with a cocktail looking at Doug Hornes "Jesus loves Tiki" print i realized i was doing the lords work by being at Bens nooner!!! Mahalo to the Boo's for organizing and hosting. Tikiyaki and Smokin Menehunes never get old! (Marty Lush had some pretty good new one liners) Vendors were offering some good bargains and met some TC people who i had never put a face to before, the nametags helped make that happen. The Tiki Central ohana is really a good solid group of people that never cease to amaze me with their aloha spirit!!

T

Self Portrait.

Ouch !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-05-04 08:11 ]

TL

Ben, A big thanks to you and Mrs Boo for a wonderful day There was alot of Ona in the crowd and vender's. I know how hard it is to pull something off like this. Thank again.

JL

Ben and Family,
Thanks for your tremendous generosity and hospitality. The family and I had a wonderful time and we picked up all kinds of new goodies. Our daughter, Gwen, thinks she and Kinny are now BFF. Until next time...

T

What a great event . It was great to see everyone there and Cindy finally got a Doug Horne for a pre mothers day gift . Sorry we had to leave unexpectedly but I had a little bit of family drama to attend to with my son . When they need ya , ya gotta go I guess . But my vote for the best booth contest goes to Ben . The new place is jaw dropping and it was an extra treat talking to his mother about her famous black and white photoshoot pic that Ben sells so many of . Great times and mahalos.

On behalf of Exotiki....

Thanks again for everything Mr. & Mrs. Bamboo Ben!!!

We all had a blast!

Boy what a weekend.Trader Vics on Friday, Purple Orchid and Tiki Ti on Saturday night,
and Bamboo Bens on Sunday.It will take me a few days just to recuperate.
Mr & Mrs Boo-This event was so much fun .You did your self proud.The bands ,the vendors ,
warm beer were are all spectacular.Really enjoyed meeting and talking to people that I
see their threads and postings but really did not know who the people were behind them.
It was great meeting DC(Scott), Lucas Vigor ,Tiki Shaker and the list goes on.Thank you
Ben for a fun show.I think you should do this type of event twice a year if possible.
Thank you to all that came up and introduced yourself to me , it was great to meet you all.
Heres a little something to get your Monday morning started with some beatnick harmonica..
yah dig!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jUiKFIlYQ

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-05-04 11:18 ]

C

We had a blast yesterday! Thanks Bamboo Ben (and everyone)!

Brent

BB

I had a great time too!

Thank you Ben and Vicki. You always know how to have a good time.

For those of you of you who didn't wear a hat or sunscreen, I think Jonpaul shares your pain ~

OUCH!

Poor Suffering Bastard. :lol:

Just a quick drive by to say THANKS! Ben and Vicky, thanks for organizing and all your hard work to take care of everyone - my daughter Little Blue and I had a wonderful time! Thanks to all the bands for the tunes. Great seeing friends, old and new, and sharing some sunshine, fantasitc music and much great tiki art.
Special mahalos to Squid for the nodder- the girl insisted we put it on the dash immediately! Kinny has another new fan, too; she says "he's cool!". See you all soon!

X

Thank you Ben!!!! My lady and I had a great time!! Can't wait to see everyone again soon!

Pretty much what everyone else has already said - thanks to the Boo Crew...Ben, your kid has awesome taste in music! Unfortunately I had to leave right after the Tikiyaki O played (is Little League season over YET?), but it was good times in the sun. Thanks again guys!

Oh and one more thing: so I leave the nooner, haul ass up the 405 to get to the baseball park, find a parking space, run into the stadium, and sit down...only to notice a few minutes later that I am wearing a name tag that says "Jason Wickedly"..complete with oh-so-clever pointed devil tail on the end of the Y. Thanks a lot Kinny :)

myspace.com/anotherdayinthelbc

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2009-05-04 10:56 ]

T

Mr and Mrs Boo....

You guys rule !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 447 replies