Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

MAY 3rd. nooner at bamboo ben ...with Smokin Mini's, tikiyaki o!, exotiki ! and the hula girls!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 447 replies

A HUGE thanks to the Boo Tribe, the bands, all the artists/vendors, the Ku Bar and all the smiling faces that made the Nooner frickin awesome

what a great day!!!!! The boo's were the perfect hosts and everyone had a great time! I met many Tiki Central people and what terrific artisans! Shopped till I dropped!

Ben, Vicki, thank you for hosting such a great event!

Amy

Flowing beverages. Hearty grinds. Crankin' tunes. Happy vendors and shoppers. The spirit of "ALOHA" running rampant. Mr & Mrs Boo have once again given back to the tiki and local community! For that you will be rewarded with good mana and more success! Mahalo for your hospitality!

Now, Ben can you come over and build me a cool tiki bar like the one in your shop??? :P

Ditto, ditto, ditto to the MAX!

What the heck can I possibly add???

Oh yeah...

These PIX!

Whoa! What a difference LIGHTING makes, eh?

Ahhhhhh.... Now THAT'S more LIKE it!

And now -- last but not least -- our host-with-the-most! That's right...

The Big B hisself!

Thanks, Benboo Bam, for one mofo of a great event!!!

Cheers & Mahalos :drink: :tiki:

[ Edited by: KreepyTiki 2009-05-04 11:48 ]

On 2009-05-03 23:24, tikithomas08 wrote:
in retrospects, sunscreen would have been a good call.

Can you say "Farmers Tan"

That's a pain that's gonna linger. Ouch!

Wow, what a great time and what a great event!!

A big Thank you to Ben and Mrs. Boo!! You guys rock!!

Now I have to go attend to the sunburn on half of my face.

Ben and Family, I had a blast. Your Bar Looks GREAT!

What everyone else has already said X 2.

Thanks again.

my stupid kid brother forgot to bring the sunscreen...

Thank you Boos for making this wonderful event happen!
OHANA OVERLOAD!
the space looks awesome
the hotdog i had....Superb!
the Music...wonderful all around!

Great to finally meet some of youse...
especially Gwen and Chloe-the junior generation of Tiki!
and to see all youse regulars too!
So many great laughs and hugs!
and a big thank you to all the kind folks who adopted kinny pieces...

Ben and Vicki-you kids ROCK!
Thank you x 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!

Unfortunately Ernie Shanghaied the Nametags
so i didn't get to meet as many of you as i wanted!

By the way, the nametag thingy was a stroke of brilliance. I got to meet and talk to a lot of people I wouldn't have otherwise had the courage to speak to. I'm planning on wearing mine to every event now. It helps with learning to be a little less shy (I'm working on it). Still didn't get to meet Grog (was he there?), but I think that was because there were so many "Kinnys" and I wasn't sure which Kinny to approach! Also, I didn't see anyone wearing animal fur and carrying a club. Maybe next event you can point him out to me!

See Ernie? Your shenanigans prevented sweet TikiShopPua from meeting you!
Talk about Tables turning!No Nametag shenanigans next event!
Let everyone have a chance to meet everyone!
and thanks to everyone but Hinano paul and Birthday lurker who were EARLYBIRDS!
:lol:

Who got squished by the Ku Bar?

H

[ Edited by: hottiki 2011-03-16 22:57 ]

Wow!!!
looks like an Amazing event,
I am really sorry I missed it.

BUT.
I would like to extend a huge Mahalo/Thank you to Ben.
for Inviting me after we had been having some differences.

I really wanted to be there.
but had to be at the HB pier, as I am a volunteer for the HB surf museum,
and help the bands with their gear on and off the stage.
it really sucked to be that close to the Ben event, but not be able to be there.
I went to the one back in the early 2000s and that was fun, this one looked way better.

So Ben,
thank you again,
that meant alot,
sorry I missed it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-05-04 14:09 ]

R

OH MAN! THE NOONER RAWKED!!!

This is the first tiki event I ever took my mum too and she LOVED it!!!

Thanks everyone for being so sweet and making her feel welcomed! :D

I have pics from that day, but right now I have midterms this week! I will try tonight or tomorrow to load the pictures from the Nooner!

THANKS AGAIN TO BAMBOO BEN, MRS BOO, AND THE REST OF THE FAM FOR THROWIN SUCH A RAWKIN EVENT, THE BANDS FOR PROVIDING AWESOME TUNES, AND THE VENDORS FOR PROVIDING AMAZING WORK!

:) it reminds me why I love TC so much, the Ohana spirit lives!

Mahalos!

K

Yet another Thank You, Bamboo Ben! We had a great time and got some great deals! Your mom is such a sweetie! I'm already halfway thru the book!
Great times, even with the sunburn!

Mr. and Mrs. Bamboo

Great party, Great people, Great Time - Well Done.

Nice to finally meet some of the TC folks.

Here are some shots from the "After-Nooner" party that continued into the evening at Don the Beachcombers.

Bamboo Ben has done a great job with the entrance and the bar area.

There are some red faces in this crowd!

Driving out to Orange County to participate in an underground/grassroots/DIY scene to listen to bands that most people have never heard of but the few who do know them are fanatical about the bands. That could describe going to the Cookoo' Nest in the 80's or Bamboo's Ben Nooner last Sunday.

Thank you Tikiyaki Orchestra, Hula Girls and Exotiki,and other participating artist for the great sounds.

More Thanks to you B.B. Ben for the great time.

By the looks of those Donn the Beachcomber photos, the real party started after the party or something like that.

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2009-05-04 23:08 ]

Thanks Ben, Vicki and family for putting so much work into this event. It was one of the best!

I took a few photos:

:up: Nice interior shot of Ben's new digs

:up: Lucky Tiki & Lapu Rocker

:up: bitchin' surfboard

:up: Rebecca from Purple Orchid and Bigtikidude

:down: A few of the vendors and their items

:up: $1 PENDANTS!!!

:up: Kinny and Ravenne

:up: Bigtikidude and Grog

:up: Crazy Al's new line of more generic "tropical" mugs for the non-tiki crowd

:up: Exotiki

:up: Here's a nice model.
Smart lines and a fine polish
indicate she's well-pampered.
Practically exudes pep and power.

:up: Poly Pop and Bigtikidude

All in all it was a nice way to get a sunburn.

CJ

I didn't recognize Jeff with the sunglasses on

Oh man.

Ruzic get's the award for worst sun burn. (check out his arm!!)

He was beet red when he left!!!

For all you sun burned tiki freaks...

Aloe vera straight from the plant works the best.

Slice off a spear and fillet' it and rub it on you asap!

Repeat several times.

NEWS FLASH

We're thinking about it.

Another Sunday in the future ?

p.s. everyone rocks!

Another Sunday? I'm your huckleberry!

Damn, that was a blast! Thank you Bamboo Ben & Mrs. Bamboo Ben. And thank you to Marilyn! She couldn't have been sweeter. I was really blown away by this event. Great atmosphere, great art and great music all around. I got to meet people for the first time, like Ben, Dustycajon, 1961surf and Buzzy. It was great seeing you again, Al and SoccerTiki and everyone else. It felt good to spend my hard earned money are great stuff from Tiki Farm, Squid, Buzzy and Ben. I got to save up so I can spend even more at Oasis! It was awesome to see Tikimecula's art in person, for the first time. Damn his stuff is incredible. And once again, the music was great. How awesome is Exotiki folks? Hope you guys can start playing more tiki gigs!

Great fun I blogged about it on my regular Myspace

Go here to see all of my pics
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=83922186&blogId=487278121

The Great Tiki at Bamboo Ben's

On 2009-05-04 20:32, RevBambooBen wrote:

NEWS FLASH

We're thinking about it.

Another Sunday in the future ?

p.s. everyone rocks!

That would be awesome! We got there late ("Nooner Hawaii Time!)
but managed to burn a hole in our pockets in seconds flat!
Great time indeed! Thanks to all for putting this together!
Bamboo Ben & Co. Rocks!

Wow, alright, cool and I am "speechless" cause I've actually lost my voice....but it was soooo worth it!

Many Mahalos to all who participated in what started out as a small suggestion of having a few people into our shop to enjoy the re-invention.....Holy Cow, what a great day! I thank the most talented artists I know, who came from near and far to display their beautiful work. All of you, including my husband, Bamboo Ben, are the heart of this scene, and you should know none of this could happen without you.

"My bAnNdS!" I took bands, Ben took Vendors. I was kinda nervous cause I thought they'd all start doing the stardom crap, and I wouldn't be able to handle the 20 or so I'd been assigned. "My Bands" are the most wonderful people you'd ever meet. Smokin Menehunes, Tiki Orchestra, Exotiki, The Hula Girls pulled it off without a blink.

I can't thank you enough...You are all so into your gig, it ran like the finest silk.

Aloha, Mrs Boo

Thank You Again Ben & Vicki for Hosting a most perfect perfect Sunday I had a great time. I thoroughly enjoying the sunshine, good company and found all kinds of goodies to take home too. Thank You artists & Musicians alike for coming out to play! Oh & thanks again Doctor Z for the Tony's glasses yay!

Thanks for the great afternoon Benboo, Mrs. Boo and family!!! I had a great time catching up with the Ohana, listening to some awesome bands and picking up some great tiki art/mugs/carvings.

Ready to drive down from the North again for the next one!

AF

...so after bailin' on the Colonel...Wow!!!

Thanks for the custom cup Squid!

Inside Ben's is too cool!

The detail of the Tiki Grotto is Amazing!!!

Great day, great times...
Thank you Ben and Family!!!

SD

WOW BEN Great times were had !!
Sure was great to leave the shop and see friendly faces that are normally only seen in the dark of a tiki Bar. You were a great host !!

Only thing I would change for the next Nooner... collect a little from each vendor and rent a Porta Potty

Scott

Toe and I just peed in the waterfall...
Beat waiting in line! :lol:

TM

On 2009-05-04 21:07, Tiki Shaker wrote:
How awesome is Exotiki folks?

VERY awesome!

On 2009-05-04 19:42, Coco Joe wrote:

I didn't recognize Jeff with the sunglasses on

Damn I guess I was there.
funny I don't remember any of the people/art or bands.
man I must have drank way too much.
odd I'm not sunburt.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-05-05 05:40, Skinny Dog wrote:
Only thing I would change for the next Nooner... collect a little from each vendor and rent a Porta Potty

Oh sure, add some more of society's burden on the backs of small business owners...

I have a better idea:

Why don't you collect a little from all the drunks who got the free booze all day and needed to use the bathroom?

Buzzy Out!

at the HOBO VILLAGE
we just went wherever....

TM

I had no need for the latrine.

I always do it "astronaut style" at these type of large events!!!

Good for those 1000 mile road trips as well!

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 5, 2009 10:45 AM

GROG just whizz on Ruzic' artwork when him not looking. It was a definite improvement.

the water color ones of course, right?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-05-05 10:45, GROG wrote:
GROG just whizz on Ruzic' artwork when him not looking. It was a definite improvement.

NO WONDER THE URINE TEST ANALYSIS
STATED "SEXLESS AND BALD" FOR THE URINE TYPE!

Thanks Ernie! for the help with THAT Scooby Doo mystery!

and they're ink,genius!

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 5, 2009 11:12 AM

On 2009-05-05 11:00, little lost tiki wrote:
NO WONDER THE URINE TEST ANALYSIS
STATED "SEXLESS AND BALD" FOR THE URINE TYPE!

That's funny, because the ones you sent to the lab for testing were ones that GROG didn't whizz on. Does this mean that funny mop on your head is just a Mr. Heat Miser wig?

N
NOTCH posted on Tue, May 5, 2009 12:06 PM

I'd like to thank BambooBen and Mrs Boo & Family for Throwing this Party for all of us, I had a great time, even being stuck behind the bar serving beer all day was fun( sorry fer the few warm ones!)... And thanks to all for the donations to pay for the kegs and a few who picked up a Bloody Roberto Loco mug! It helps out allot on gas to get KUBAR to So-cal and back, It was a bumpy ride but we got it back home in one piece! and we are ready for the next trip....I Had fun hanging with all the Tiki Ohana( to many names to type)and I cant wait for the next time..
And sorry to the guy that KuBAR Smashed! hope hes all right
Good Time's!!!! and Big Mahlos
Notch

TWO

I am still reliving the memories of last weekend. We all had a BLAST. Ben and Mrs.Boo did a kick ass job throwing this one.
There were so many great vendors I ended up spending quite a bit more than planned (sorry Honey). The only regret is that whole sunscreen thing that has been thoroughly covered. It was also great to see Dave "Lake Surfer" and his lovely wife Jen. They are great people from a great distance. Tikiyaki blows my mind every time, you guys rule.
Thank you to Notch and Dano for serving the beer all day.

Biggest Thanks of all to Ben and Mrs. Boo it was incredible. Next time we'll have to bring the van, Tikitastic's car was stuffed to the gills with the great stuff we bought.

SD

I don't know why Scott is so uptight. I pooped in Kinny's space!

Jen

R

Mmmm-mmm!

the "street margaritas" in the hobo village were great!

:D

On 2009-05-05 09:42, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Oh sure, add some more of society's burden on the backs of small business owners...

I have a better idea:

Why don't you collect a little from all the drunks who got the free booze all day and needed to use the bathroom?

Buzzy Out!

I'm with ya there, man. I think I peed twice all day. The rest was all sweat and I had nary a sip of a Painkiller. Beer=peeing. They should just all wear depends next time!

GT

Thank You, Bamboo Ben and Mrs. Boo, Dani and I had a Great time, What a fun event, Thanks for letting us participate, Cheers! to you and all the Ohana that showed up, Mahalo! Gogo

SD

Free booze ?????

Why the hell was I running across Beach Blvd to the store for 40's every 1/2hr.

On 2009-05-05 15:34, Billy the Crud wrote:

On 2009-05-05 09:42, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

I have a better idea:

Buzzy Out!

I'm with ya there, man. I think I peed twice all day. The rest was all sweat and I had nary a sip of a Painkiller. Beer=peeing. They should just all wear depends next time!

Yup.....there was free beer and stuff in the Ku-Bar, man!

I was gonna say how did somebody miss all the free Beer/keg talk on this thread?
but then again, anybody that came to the thread late in the game, might have got caught up in all the name tag/hobo village madness and not noticed the beer stuff before.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

MB

[i]On 2009-05-05 17:05, Skinny Dog wrote:

Free booze ?????

Why the hell was I running across Beach Blvd to the store for 40's every 1/2hr.

See, you coulda pee'd every 1/2 hour. :P

Glad everyone had a good time. We thought about renting a porta potty, but, honestly, there's nothing worse than a 100 degree non-flushable bathroom. And, the fact that Kinny and Grog would have spent the day amusing themselves by tipping it over while occupied, we decided against the idea. Four other shop owners agreed ahead of time to open their restrooms to our guests. One shop owner had to finally close his down because someone was rather buzzed and kept leaning on a classic car he's in the midst of restoring. Party foul!

So, other than this issue and the issue with the free (occasional) warm beer that Notch didn't even sign up to pour and did the best he could to ice the kegs on a hot day because we were too busy serving the free food getting the free bands parked in the lot making sure the vendors who vended for free were getting some lunch making money and having fun..... I think it went pretty well. :D

Who complained about warm beer?!!!?

I didn't even get any Ku Bar beer!!!

Thank all of you Ku Bar beer Warriors

for the tips! Paid for 4 barrels, 6 hours of constant pouring and some gas

to get him home!

Notch and Dano Rock!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! It was a Nooner! Fo' Sure!...and a parking lot too!

p.s. as Marie and Jon Paul were driving away, Marie said, "See his sunburn? Woo hoo! It's the beginning of summer!!!!"

Maybe a parking lot gathering in June, July and August.....

...of course not to top the last one. We'll see what happens.

p.s. I was blown away by Pua's Blessing of the Hale Ohe' too!

Here's somthing that just popped up on google.

http://thehighpriestess.blogspot.com/2009/05/why-is-there-no-rum.html

Maybe next time a lil' rum with/for Pua! :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 447 replies