Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies

Flea market find in Connecticut. They said they got it at a place called the Islands/The Island/The Islander, but at no point did they identify it as "tiki" so I was able to snap it up for a song. It has "Rubens Originals" and a Made in Japan © Los Angeles sticker. They couldn't remember. Any ideas? I've trawled the threads for all three, but have found nothing. Hoping the resident geniuses here can help!

Hoping this is the correct thread for this. Commemorative Siesta Ware with “Florida Yacht Club” and “Trader Vics Party” embossed on the wood. Does anyone have any backstory on this? I know the Florida Yacht Club is here in Jacksonville. Did TV “cater” or host private events? I haven’t been able to find anything on Ooga-Mooga, online or using the search function here. Maybe some of the smart folks here have seen something similar. Thanks!

Found this tall, slender amigo in San Diego this past weekend. Anybody seen him?

No makers marks, seems old. Scoured Ooga Mooga by ticking Tiki, Tiki and Green, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated!

C

On 2018-03-29 07:31, Cavemoai wrote:
Here you go:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=3639

You're amazing. Thank you!

D

Any one recognize this manufacturer? It looks like this an Otagiri Ku Tiki knockoff covered in some sort of metallic glaze. (It's thick enough that I thought it was metal at first.) Found it in a random pile in a NY junk shop.

H

On 2018-03-11 11:14, TikAndDestroy wrote:
Flea market find in Connecticut. They said they got it at a place called the Islands/The Island/The Islander, but at no point did they identify it as "tiki" so I was able to snap it up for a song. It has "Rubens Originals" and a Made in Japan © Los Angeles sticker. They couldn't remember. Any ideas? I've trawled the threads for all three, but have found nothing. Hoping the resident geniuses here can help!

I can place The Islander in Manchester, CT in 1977. Not much info out there on this one...

H

On 2018-03-14 12:52, coldwarspacemonkey wrote:
Hoping this is the correct thread for this. Commemorative Siesta Ware with “Florida Yacht Club” and “Trader Vics Party” embossed on the wood. Does anyone have any backstory on this? I know the Florida Yacht Club is here in Jacksonville. Did TV “cater” or host private events? I haven’t been able to find anything on Ooga-Mooga, online or using the search function here. Maybe some of the smart folks here have seen something similar. Thanks!

Trader Vic did indeed host tons of events both private and public, like his Tiki Trophy Races. This one is kind of interesting, though - the "Trader Vic's Party" is actually an annual party that the Florida Yacht Club has been throwing since at least 1964. This year's party happens this month!

Furthermore, in the FYC's August 2012 newsletter their Commodore makes a very specific mention:

Though there were no pics, I would be really, really surprised if those weren't the same cups.

The one thing I am unable to suss out is if Trader Vic himself was actually, legitimately involved initially or if they simply used his name, i.e. Trader Vic's Party to signify Tiki Party. I do like that the "Trader Vic's Party" lettering on your cups is reminiscent of the lettering on other TV's stuff like the record with Bing Crosby and various Honolulu items.

P

Among the mugs I found today in an antique store is this one:

No markings of any kind. I'm searching through Ooga-Mooga! to try and identify the mug, but maybe one of you can provide a lead?

C

On 2018-07-02 18:14, Pelorus wrote:
Among the mugs I found today in an antique store is this one:

No markings of any kind. I'm searching through Ooga-Mooga! to try and identify the mug, but maybe one of you can provide a lead?

Here ya go: http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=604

P

Here ya go: http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=604

Thanks! I think I had looked at every handled mug on the site, but missed that one.

UT

Here’s another thread with some info on the coffee grip mugs.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43390&forum=5

HopeChest - Thanks so much for the intel! I really appreciate the research and background information, and the article actually mentioning the 1964 cups is amazing (these guys must know how to party). Many apologies for not thanking you sooner - I spaced it and missed your post. (I find myself suffering from that A.G.E. disease more and more these days...)

Pelorus - Neat mug!

Got This in the UK a week ago, Has markings on bottom (BD inHLTA ??) looks very New Zealand Maori, was sold as Malta totem mug?

E

Hello all, I scored a great Primo Beer tiki clock yesterday on Craigslist. The story was that it was purchased in an antique shop in Honolulu in the mid 90's. The buyer brought it back to San Diego and had it in his home ever since. I found a restaurant in Bakersfield that had one back in 2009. (Bloggers are great) Does any one know the history of these clocks?

[ Edited by: tamminjoe 2018-07-18 14:06 ]

Great clock

T

Anybody seen one of these before? Any idea where it might have come from?

U

Mexico?

T

On 2018-07-19 16:08, ukutiki wrote:
Mexico?

Your guess is as good as mine!
;-P

I’m with UkuTiki. Mexico or Mesoamerica.
Nice piece. Mahalo for sharing

A friend found this in his father's garage. I'm guessing it's a Witco. I've never seen this particular carve though. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I found a couple things that I haven't seen before. First is a split bamboo "mug" from Waiakea Village made by terra ceramics Hawaii. I cant find anything about this. Second is a carving I found at a garage sale in So Cal. Is this carved by anyone known or just a random generic carving? Thanks for your help!

On 2018-07-22 06:25, AlohaTexasTikiCo wrote:
A friend found this in his father's garage. I'm guessing it's a Witco. I've never seen this particular carve though. Can anyone confirm or deny?

LOVE this guy! If your buddy wants to re-home it and you for some reason don't want it let me know!

I would be happy to tell him but I already bought it ! Lol...

Witco confirmed. 1966 catalog:

[ Edited by: AlohaTexasTikiCo 2018-07-22 12:01 ]

T

I'm trying to identify or find more information on several things I have found recently.

The first is this cool Sascha Brastoff jar. Anyone know if there was a line of tiki stuff that Sascha did, other than the Aloha Jhoe's candle holder?

Also tying to find out what this logo is for on this Maddux of California ashtray. I've seen several versions of this ashtray with different logos on it. It looks tiki, but I have no idea where it might be from.

Last up, I found some of these little bowls with a "Luau" logo on them. Which Luau restaurant might they be from? I searched ebay and TC pretty thoroughly but haven't turned up anything.

Thanks!!

Most of the Brastoff pieces people call tiki are actaully NorthWest Native/Alaskan pieces.

He did make some Hawaiian pieces. All of those pieces, including the tiki ones are labelled "Hawaiian Inspired" on it.

According to the Brastoff collectors I've talked to, If it doesn't say Hawaiian Inspired on it, then its Northwest/Alaskan.

T

On 2018-07-23 15:08, ErichTroudt wrote:
Most of the Brastoff pieces people call tiki are actaully NorthWest Native/Alaskan pieces.

He did make some Hawaiian pieces. All of those pieces, including the tiki ones are labelled "Hawaiian Inspired" on it.

According to the Brastoff collectors I've talked to, If it doesn't say Hawaiian Inspired on it, then its Northwest/Alaskan.

Interesting.... nope, no Hawaiian Inspired on this one. It's marked "027" on the bottom, that's it. It looks more tiki to me, but it's also so abstract that it could be Northwest inspired or even melding of those two influences.

T

On 2018-07-23 12:18, TheBigT wrote:
Last up, I found some of these little bowls with a "Luau" logo on them. Which Luau restaurant might they be from? I searched ebay and TC pretty thoroughly but haven't turned up anything.

Found it!! I should have put 2+2 together when I noticed the Mexico stamp for the ceramic maker on the bottom. Just assumed it didn't have much significance.

Luau Restaurant, Mexico City

Found this wood carving today... Meso-American, Polynesian, other? Either way, I bought it for 8 bucks to add to the collection of "stuff". Any insight is welcomed. Cheers!

U

Great piece wherever it is from.

On 2018-06-04 08:49, HopeChest wrote:

On 2018-03-11 11:14, TikAndDestroy wrote:

I can place The Islander in Manchester, CT in 1977. Not much info out there on this one...

Wow!!! Very likely. The people were convinced the name was "Islander" adjacent! Thank you!

Found another mystery mug, dated '71 but I've never seen it or the signature. Feels very well made. Any ideas?

C

On 2018-08-15 06:21, TikAndDestroy wrote:
Found another mystery mug, dated '71 but I've never seen it or the signature. Feels very well made. Any ideas?

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/search.cgi?terms=strikow&des_id=any&man_id=any&img_id=any&shp_id=any&clr_id=any&details=yes&mode=search_process&x=0&y=0

I don't know what that maker's mark on the bottom is, but the mug was cast from a mold made from a Strikow decanter. That mug in particular is one of the cooler hobbyist mugs I've seen. I really dig the embellishments on the face.

On 2018-08-15 07:21, Cavemoai wrote:

On 2018-08-15 06:21, TikAndDestroy wrote:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/search.cgi?terms=strikow&des_id=any&man_id=any&img_id=any&shp_id=any&clr_id=any&details=yes&mode=search_process&x=0&y=0

I don't know what that maker's mark on the bottom is, but the mug was cast from a mold made from a Strikow decanter. That mug in particular is one of the cooler hobbyist mugs I've seen. I really dig the embellishments on the face.

You are amazing! Thank you. I knew it seemed familiar somehow, but I was too fixated on the paintjob! Plus I'd only seen the decanters and didn't realize there was a mug. I'm so glad you were on the case!

Anyone know where these are from? Purchased from a dear friend who told me they were from a Tiki bar in Edmonton Canada. I can't seem to find anything like them. They are approximately 9 1/2" tall without the glass shades. The glass shades are marked "Mason Candlelight". Made of a composite cement material.

Mahalo in advance,

Psycho Tiki D

On 2018-08-24 11:13, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Anyone know where these are from? Purchased from a dear friend who told me they were from a Tiki bar in Edmonton Canada. I can't seem to find anything like them. They are approximately 9 1/2" tall without the glass shades. The glass shades are marked "Mason Candlelight". Made of a composite cement material.

Mahalo in advance,

Psycho Tiki D

Aloha PTD, nice to see you posting.

Nice score on those. They were used at several locations in Canada. One was the Tropical Isle in Surrey. Taboo Dan found the mother-load of treasures (including those lamps) from there as seen on this post:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24554&forum=2&vpost=355919&hilite=outrigger

The were also used at the Outrigger in Prince George as seen in this post.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18090&forum=2&start=15&hilite=outrigger

DC

Dusty,

Yes not as frequent as I used to. I have still been adamantly collecting and need to get back here more often. I knew you would know, so thank you for the response. Gonna be posting another story that needs to be documented soon. I have been so very lucky lately.

PTD

F

Aloha, does anyone has any clue about this giant mask? Where is made, etc? Mahalo in advance, Fran.

Fran, looks Indonesian to me ,fwiw. Seems that their carvers are influenced by the many styles/kinds of tikis seen today and sometimes cram em into one mask. Let’s hope our resident experts chime in with their thoughts. Mahalo for sharing

What can anyone tell me about these three resin friends? From the 70s, no markings on the bottom

Mad Dog Mike... I can’t confirm their identities or where they hail from, but I found a trio lounging around a thrift store in Reno, NV a few weeks ago. Now they are guardians of booze and mixers (for those lazy days).

C

On 2018-08-29 21:58, MadDogMike wrote:
What can anyone tell me about these three resin friends? From the 70s, no markings on the bottom

Mike,

Those or possibly replicas of them were available from the Dollar Tree back in the early 2000s. Here is a thread about them and one showing what ZuluMagoo did with them to kind of make them pop.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=8219&forum=5&start=0&hilite=

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16021&forum=20&hilite=wreck%20kona'

Thanks for the info. Cavemoai... never woulda thought that the dollar store was in the tiki figurine game. I got a helluva deal at .49 cents haha.

I bought this from a mid-century house that's for sale (thread). I talked to the owner's niece but she couldn't tell me anything about it. She thinks maybe it came from Hawaii. The owners travelled to Hawaii frequently, but they were in the airline industry and travelled all over the world, so it could be from anywhere. Does anyone recognize this or know where it's likely to have come from? I really want it to be from Hawaii or somewhere else Polynesian but I have no idea - I couldn't find anything similar.

The lei is a nice touch - made of Leilani rum miniature bottles (full).

Detail of the base:

I’ve passed on buying this figure for months but today the price was right. African, PNG, Maori? I’m not really sure of what the origin is supposed to be. Regardless of the outcome she is going in the bar. I am calling her a “she” due to an anatomically accurate feature in the nether regions but she has no breasts. She is 17” tall and heavier than all get out. Seems to be made of heavy pottery made to look like wood. It has an imprinted mark on the base and I’m not sure if it is numbers or a signature. The form of the figure seems familiar to me and I’m thinking Maori but I can’t pin it down. Anyone have any ideas?

[img]http:/

Unka TraV

Looks rougher but similar to pieces made by:
Hawaiian discovery
Aka
Tonga trading co.
But numbering is different

Sad
Now they only make furniture :(

If I saw it
I’d get it if going for a good price

Cheers
Jon

3 fingered hand.
Tongue out in a Haka.
That is Maori influenced.
Nice.

I picked this shadow box up the othe other day. Any idea of where it is from?

Thanks!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies