Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies

^
Don The Beachcombers.

Kool
Thanks sir

Hi. I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question. I did hop all over Ooga Mooga first and do some searching here and on ebay, but there just wasn't much to go on.

I recently bought a lot of 20 tiki mugs. I like a grab bag...you never know what you'll get! It was a mish mash of Orchids, Tiki Farm, Westwood, Daga, Chiki Tiki, and the run-of-the-mill Accoutrements set (no Jake, though).

But there were two that had no manufacturers markings that are a mystery. There's a little Moai, about 4 inches tall that takes 6oz. And there's a large-ish matte-finish handled mug with an expressive face and a kind of a red diamond bindi. I have no delusions that they're collectible or anything, but I'd still like to know where they came from, even if it's Target or Walmart! The genealogist in me just loves to know the origins of things :)

So any hints are much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Tara

W

I think this is a war paddle, have had it for years. I'm trying to get a bead on it's place of origin***** but after taking a 3 hour tour around most of the islands on the SS Google Imagesearch I couldn't find any particular design that looked like it. It's made of a very dense tropical wood and there are no markings of any sort. (pic taken in a dim basement with an old iPhone)

*****FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm planning to sell this. I know some people don't like to give info on an item to someone who's selling it. But if you're the sort who likes to share info with anyone for any reason, thanks for your help.

On 2015-06-13 08:59, hang10tiki wrote:
Anyone know where this lowball came from?

As PTD said, it is from Don the Beachcomber. More specifically, it was from the Fog Cutter drink that DTB had teamed with Christian Brothers Brandy to produce.

DC

On 2015-06-15 19:33, woofmutt wrote:

*****FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm planning to sell this. I know some people don't like to give info on an item to someone who's selling it. But if you're the sort who likes to share info with anyone for any reason, thanks for your help.

Wolfie, no one here has any problems with folks selling items on TC
with the exception of those who misrepresent themselves & are disingenuous
in their actions by feigning an interest in "Tiki" to do so.

Good luck in your sale & wish I had some info on your item.

I had a revelation last night regarding the mug I asked y'all about a few days ago.

I was looking at pics of all of my favorite tiki bars--home and commercial--trying to figure out how to solve a couple of logistical problems in the planning and design of ours. And, of course, as part of that I was looking at the thread of Poly Pop's fabulous Desert Oasis Room. Then lo and behold, a little guy jumps out of the pic at me! That's him! Center section, top row of mugs--the light brown guys. That's him in the middle, with what looks to be 3 similarly-designed "brothers." Cool. Anyone know who these guys are and where they came from? Thanks!

I don't have any of those but they do look like Westwood from Japan mugs
mostly from the 1960s era, but Poly-Pop or Sven will be able to give us the right answer for sure
unless anyone else has some to confirm.

C

I don't think they are from Westwood. I used to have the set until I gave it to Goodwill. From what I remember mine were unmarked.

Konakaibaby, those mugs are on ooga mooga but there isn't much info about them. (Click the link and scroll about half way down)

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/search.cgi?terms=;des_id=any;man_id=any;img_id=2;shp_id=9;clr_id=5;mode=search_process;x=81;y=6&show=50&details=yes

I know they have been discussed on here before, but using the search to find it would be a long process unless you can think of some really good keywords.

Oh, excellent! That's him :)
I had searched on Ooga mooga, but with no manufacturer, it felt like a needle in a haystack. So, thanks so much for the link!
There was obviously a very small, rectangular sticker on the bottom. But there's nothing legible left anymore.
Thanks!
T

A gold triangle sticker on the bottom with the letters OMC, Japan
was from the Otagiri Mercantile Company.

Is the sticker gold?

No, it's white and rectangular. But not the size of a price tag--quite little, like a manufacturer's tag. But nothing left but white. I have a couple of Otagiri things and Westwood/Artmark, and the sticker isn't shaped like those.
He's my mystery man :wink:

T

Usually rectangular stickers looked like this:

T

Here's the label on a mug of your type:

Ah, thanks for the image. It could indeed have originally looked like that. Much has rubbed off and a portion is missing.

KonaKaiBaby, I'm not positive but I think the manufacturer is Wespac. If I recall there are 2 sizes, I think both have handles, and the 4 large ones were sold as a set.
Yes, I have 2 just like yours, and one of my 2 is on OM for sale or trade,
Handeguy

Slowhandtikiman nailed it. Good job. Its westpac. One of the 4 in the set sold on etsy and in the pics it showed the Westpac sticker on the bottom.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/225028293/vintage-1960s-rare-westpac-ceramic-tiki

Scroll down on the link to see it.

Wonderful! Many thanks slowhandtikiman! I'm super happy to know the origin and manufacturer. Now I can start tracking down his "brothers" and reunite them as a set!
Many thanks, everyone!
T

KonaKaiBaby, the mug(s) were made by WestPac. There are small 4 1/2" ones and larger 5 1/2" ones. A total of 8 if you count both sizes, It seems like the smaller ones are a little more common. I like design of the one you have the best. I really love these mugs and have been fortunate enough to find all 8. They are listed on page 47 in Tiki Quest. If you google them there is a site that claims that they were sold in Adventure at Disneyland in the day. I don't know if this is true but it's a nice thought.

Here is the WestPac sticker label. They are rarely on the mugs, Only 2 of my 8 have this label still attached to the bottom.

I just got this from eBay. It has two eaters and two full bellies tikis on it/

The bottom says made for Kahuna.

Any information would be appreciated, thank you, Wendy

I have no idea what it is, but I love it! Especially the first pic. What a great face! I'll be very interested to hear the origin of such a fun piece. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Tumatauenga who posted just above my post is the person I bought it from. Now that's a real coincidence. I hope there is some information out there. Wendy

Wendy, you got that to show how much better your work is! :)

N

is this really from south pacific in florida?

got it on ebay 9.99...seems like a steal

ATP, thank you. Someday I'll make a cannibal mug. Meanwhile we needed a few for Dan's collection. Wendy

On 2015-06-23 17:14, nomeus wrote:

I think it's from here:

South Pacific, Arlington, VA

I sold a few of them in the past for $20-30.
Buzzy Out!

Had this guy for awhile. Any ideas?!

Here's the reverses. Even weirder.

Eyebrows?

N

On 2015-06-23 22:57, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2015-06-23 17:14, nomeus wrote:

I think it's from here:

South Pacific, Arlington, VA

I sold a few of them in the past for $20-30.
Buzzy Out!

thanks man!!

[ Edited by: nomeus 2015-06-30 20:13 ]

I got this at a yard sale. The twine was wrapped around it by me for hanging. I don't know anything about it, other than it was carved by "one of the guys that works for Disney." I'm pretty sure it's not too old, but I have no way of telling. Any ideas out there?

Looks like Oceanic Arts Catalog #310 Tahitian Ceremonial Paddle

http://www.oceanicarts.net/oa_cat-wall-decor-all.htm

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy hits the mark.

Thank you!

Alright... found these at an antique store. These carved shot / cordial glasses have no markings at all... any info about 'em? Can't find anything at all online...

W

On 2015-06-27 11:13, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:
Had this guy for awhile. Any ideas?!

Pretty sure I came across some of these years ago being sold with similar sized idols and symbols as good luck charms or pieces to put in fetish bags which were sort of a new age/pagan trend in the 90s.

S

A friend picked this up today when we went to an antique store in Chandler, AZ. Approx. 4' tall with no markings and looks quite weathered. The store rang the seller to ask if he had any information about it and all he said was that it was local. Does this look familiar to anyone. Who may have carved it and/or if it came from a now defunct bar at all?

S

Ok, so no response/help on my last post. Maybe someone can help with this one.

Another antique store find, this time in Flagstaff, AZ, and a different friend. This one is confusing as the carving detail/pattern around the top and the figures body/stance look very Polynesian, but the face just doesn't look right, so to me i think it is of African origin.

Also, going by the way the bottom of the "tiki's" are rounded and worn it certainly looks like it was used for something, i'm guessing grinding up grains or something similar, so definitely not a tourist piece. Any one have any ideas?

[ Edited by: swizzle 2015-08-10 14:14 ]

On 2015-08-10 14:13, swizzle wrote:
Ok, so no response/help on my last post. Maybe someone can help with this one.

Another antique store find, this time in Flagstaff, AZ, and a different friend. This one is confusing as the carving detail/pattern around the top and the figures body/stance look very Polynesian, but the face just doesn't look right, so to me i think it is of African origin.

Also, going by the way the bottom of the "tiki's" are rounded and worn it certainly looks like it was used for something, i'm guessing grinding up grains or something similar, so definitely not a tourist piece. Any one have any ideas?

[ Edited by: swizzle 2015-08-10 14:14 ]

It is an African Dogon Stool for sitting on
they can be plain or intricately carved.

Here is a African Kamba Wood Tripod Stool
from a the Kamba tribe in Kenya, less ornate then other tribal carvings.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-08-10 14:46 ]

S

That explains the heavy wear on the feet/tiki's. Thanks ATP.

You got it.

T

Any idea what this guy is? Is it Polynesian , African, South American? I have no idea....

It has the aesthetic of an Congolese (African) Fetish effigy
consistent with the pose and face looking up, but the open eyes
suggest it could be of South American origin, all I have to go on
is similar figures from both countries.

On 2015-08-14 20:28, Teadoir wrote:
Any idea what this guy is? Is it Polynesian , African, South American? I have no idea....

Micronesian...caroline islands..satawan islands...

I have a similar piece, and that's the closest I came up with on my research.

Our search feature shows:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=48906&forum=1&hilite=3224x5504b37a

[ Edited by: Will carve 2015-08-15 04:42 ]

Yes, it seems to be a Micronesian Monkeymen figure, nice job.

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me with this chipped-up little tiki. What I've figured out so far is that the big round eyes, swirled earlobes, broad nose, concentric oval mouth, and the shape of the fingers indicate that this is a Marquesan tiki. But these don't seem super collectible, and I don't think I have seen even one small stone or lava collectible Marquesan tiki in my search. Am I missing something? Is there a whole section of the internet that I skipped? Does it seem strange that this one landed on the shelf at my thrift store for 69 cents?

After I did quite a bit of searching, I found just one tiki that closely resembles this one. It was buried deep in ebay's completed listings, sold from Amsterdam. There are a few very subtle differences in the smallest details, but for the most part they are nearly identical. The main difference is that the ebay tiki was described as having been molded of plaster or ceramic, and it's pretty obvious that mine is not. And if it is of any consequence, the one I found on ebay has what remains of a sticker on the bottom.

And I don't really have a question. I just thought I would post, on the chance that someone out there in the world might find it interesting or have something interesting to say about it.

Anyway, the first 4 pics are of my new tiki, and the fifth pic is the one I found on ebay.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies