Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies

E

another pic....

On 2016-04-19 15:27, tamminjoe wrote:
Help!!!! I just picked up a GIANT fiberglass Tiki that resembles an old Coco Joe. The eyes light up red. It stands about six feet tall. Looking for any one who may know the history of this big boy?

I think it was from Sea & Jungle Imports. They did the fiberglass ones, and we have on of the wall lamp versions. I think yours in the catalog page below. A bit under and to the right of the exclamation point of "TIKIS!" Not 100% sure though.

Dixon of The Alibi
'what's your Alibi?'

[ Edited by: DixonAlibi 2016-04-19 17:55 ]

On 2016-04-19 17:53, DixonAlibi wrote:

I think it was from Sea & Jungle Imports.

Nope. Those are just a few years old. Maybe 2003 or 2004. The company use to be under "bigstatues.com" or something like that. I cant find it now. they do all the common pirates you see too.

And the carving looks like the KC war god.

Buzzy Out!

C

On 2016-04-19 15:27, tamminjoe wrote:
Help!!!! I just picked up a GIANT fiberglass Tiki that resembles an old Coco Joe. The eyes light up red. It stands about six feet tall. Looking for any one who may know the history of this big boy?

It's not from Sea & Jungle Imports. These were made, and might still be made(?) in China. A few years back you could get them at Spencer's gifts and many home and garden supply stores. They pop up on Craigslist from time to time as well.

C

B'last! Buzzy beat me to it.

J

The short-lived Voodoo Room in west Hollywood had two of those flanking their front door. I seem to remember the House of Tiki store in Costa Mesa(?) also had at least one of those around.

E

Thanks for the responses!

Another oddity- just picked this up today, I was thinking it didnt look like a Tiki exactly, but the price was right. It is carved hardwood, finished on the back, and has the (so far useless to me) on the base "Tung-U, God of the V.L."
Already checked all the rest of this thread and the other oddball question threads I could find. Anybody know where this guy is from?

The style is Hawaiian, probably a tourist carving (made in some Pacific island). It has a nice modernist, simple style, but a horrible after-paint job, probably done by the jokester who signed it.

T

A friend found this mug and for the life of me, can't find any info on it. It is over glazed and the back looks like flying fish perhaps. Anyone seen this mug or know anything about it?

A ponytail!?

Found this at an antiques store locally. When I grabbed it, I thought it was just a vintage ceramic penguin statue. I was surprised to find that it was a mug. It has a good amount of crazing on the white chest/belly. Eyes are blue with black pupils and white highlights. Body is black back, gray highlight and black belly. Bow tie is white. Anyone seen one before, and any idea where it was from. I was a fan of Chilly Willy growing up, and was happy to adopt another mug. Thanks much!

T

Penguin Central?

S

On 2016-06-15 09:55, tikigreg wrote:
Penguin Central?

Penguin mugs should be displayed next to your Star Wars mugs. No tiki bar is complete without them. Didn't you know that tikigreg?

T

Penguin mugs should be displayed next to your Star Wars mugs. No tiki bar is complete without them. Didn't you know that tikigreg?

Sorry, I don't have any more room left for those since I got a load of mugs over at Owl Central. :wink:

I think the penguin is most likely a novelty planter from Japan. If you search for "vintage penguin planter" on eBay a few similar styles show up.

On 2016-04-23 15:11, Aloha pinball wrote:
Another oddity- just picked this up today, I was thinking it didnt look like a Tiki exactly, but the price was right. It is carved hardwood, finished on the back, and has the (so far useless to me) on the base "Tung-U, God of the V.L."

Just apply some paint stripper and restain that guy a slightly darker colour and he would look quite respectable in any tiki bar.

On 2016-06-16 13:26, uncle trav wrote:
I think the penguin is most likely a novelty planter from Japan. If you search for "vintage penguin planter" on eBay a few similar styles show up.

Thanks Trav, appreciate it.

On 2016-06-17 00:15, Club Nouméa wrote:

On 2016-04-23 15:11, Aloha pinball wrote:

Just apply some paint stripper and restain that guy a slightly darker colour and he would look quite respectable in any tiki bar.

Thanks Much (and Thank you to Bigbro as well) for the identification. I'm tempted to strip the paint but it appears to have been on it for many years. Meanwhile this weekend I found a really cool "modern" style Tiki dated 1957. I'll post that on Tiki finds in a minute.

[ Edited by: Aloha pinball 2016-07-10 10:29 ]

Picked this fellow up in Fernandina Beach on Thursday. He looks Polynesian to me, and is signed on the back. Papuan perhaps? (Or Papuan style at least- the signature looks like it might be Aubert or Joubert? Then there is an additional lower case text that I can't make sense of - the loop around the first name might form an elaborate C? Maybe it says Cupertino? Ring any bells on the west coast?

[ Edited by: Aloha pinball 2016-07-10 10:30 ]

T

Saw these this weekend.
?

Anyone know anything about this guy?

I don't know why it chose to upload the image sideways.

The base is made of cork and the figure is ceramic. No markings. It looks like it might be a candle holder. Priced at $24 which seems excessive for this store.
Thanks.

On 2016-07-22 16:02, tikiskip wrote:
Saw these this weekend.

Galliano came out with a gift set about 2 years with a kontiki mug.

http://chilledmagazine.com/cool_products-detail/galliano-offers-a-tiki-gift-set-for-the-holidays

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=48812&forum=5

[ Edited by: exquisitecorpse 2016-09-03 14:56 ]

On 2016-09-03 14:49, exquisitecorpse wrote:
Anyone know anything about this guy?

I don't know why it chose to upload the image sideways.

The base is made of cork and the figure is ceramic. No markings. It looks like it might be a candle holder. Priced at $24 which seems excessive for this store.
Thanks.
[/quote

Mar-Hiti Tiki candle holder by Toby Designs. Book of Tiki page 183.

On 2016-09-04 23:36, bigbrotiki wrote:

Mar-Hiti Tiki candle holder by Toby Designs. Book of Tiki page 183.

Thanks!

Just won this Orchids of Hawaii Green Coconut mug on auction as part of a lot. I bought the lot of three mugs, not for this one, but for the Kahiki coconut mug that was part of the lot. However, I've gotten curious about this green coconut mug because I can't find anything about it. It is marked as an Orchids of Hawaii with an unusual bottom design, but could not find it on Ooga-Mooga. OM shows some OofH coconuts, but not this design or this design in a different glaze. And so far, I haven't found it elsewhere here on TC, or in a general web search.

Does anyone else have one of these, or have any info about it?

T

This looks vaguely familiar to me... any ideas, is it tiki?

It's seems to heavy to be plaster of paris.

Looks African or maybe South American to me. Let’s see what our more knowledgeable members have to say.
Btw, I thinks it’s pretty cool, fwiw.
Mahalo for sharing

I've had this set of cups for awhile. Can't figure them out. Bamboo is painted/stained finish. Tiki is printed and looks familiar but can't put my finger on it. Any ideas?
About the size of a beer can.

Oops. Duplicate post.

[ Edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2016-10-05 14:50 ]

So, I bought these two OMC fogcutter mugs that I've never seen before.

If anyone has a clue on the front characters, please let me know.

The general mug and the back circular designs are identical to the OMC Empress Mug which can be seen on Ooga-Mooga here:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=1703

However, I have no idea what the front characters mean.

FRONT

BACK

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 25, 2016 8:03 AM

GROG' sister sent the photo of the front of the mugs to her husband in Japan and he said that altogether they don't mean anything but, separately 1st letter means forest, 2nd letter means happiness, 3rd letter means light. He said it might mean something in Chinese.

[ Edited by: GROG 2016-10-25 08:06 ]

On 2016-10-25 08:03, GROG wrote:
GROG' sister sent the photo of the front of the mugs to her husband in Japan and he said that altogether they don't mean anything but, separately 1st letter means forest, 2nd letter means happiness, 3rd letter means light. He said it might mean something in Chinese.

Thanks! At least that's something to go on.

I've been turning this around in my head and I think it's probably a Chinese proverb and probably translates to something like: "Enlightenment is a Forest of Happiness." I'm still not sure, though...

A colleague of mine found a box of mugs in his garage and sent me photos. Most are the usual suspects from the Islander in Stockton but he also has these 2 items. The first is a Ku right? I searched Ooga Mooga for every Ku (there are many) and even did a reverse Google Image search but wasn't able to find this specimen. I've seen S&P shakers with a similar design but can't place the mug.

There's also this item which may be a decanter? I'm working off of photos at present but hope to get a true look at them in a few weeks.

Any help identifying them would be appreciated.

• FM
U

The decanter is a Bralatta Liqueur decanter from Italy.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=2967

It is on my wish list. Is there anything on my trade list that you might be interested in?

I believe the mug is by Quon-Quon

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2016-11-24 03:23 ]

Thanks both for the help.
On Ooga-Mooga that Quon-Quon mug doesn't show up. So, it's either rare or no one has considered it worthy of posting up until now. :)

Ukutiki, I'll hit you up via PM. I'm sure we can figure something out.

• FM

PNG or Ivory Coast of Africa? Either way I'm putting it in my bar.

Hello,

Glad to be here as this is my first post and I have just started collecting. I picked up two of these from a lady who was selling them locally. She had bought them in California a number of years back from an artist. Would there be any specific identifying marks that might tell who they came from? Sorry if this is a naive question. Like I said I just started collecting.

Howdy All!

Came across this tiki a while back. Anyone have any info?

Any ideas? Seen similar but not definitive types of carvings identified as Micronesian (Chuuk, Tobi).

T

Almost started a new thread, but then I remembered this one. Found these two objects recently. I'm guessing some sort of candlesticks or pieces of a larger item like a headboard or something?

Any one know who these guys are?
Where they came from &
what are they suppose to look like?

Hey Will, Nice pieces. At first glance I thought Mayan. Let’s see what others have to say.
Mahalo for sharing.

I think this is a vintage Orchids of Hawaii piece, any help?

I can only find the fiberglass later versions on TC.

This is 8' palm.

and I'm beyond stoked! :D

On 2016-07-22 16:02, tikiskip wrote:
Saw these this weekend.
?

Did you buy them? I would! So cool.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies