Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies

One of the important features of the Asmat "Ndaokus" is the hole in the side of the head where the brains were removed to be eaten. Of course, you would not do that to grandpa so there is no hole in the side of the "Ndambirkus" or ancestral skull

There is a dished piece of clay behind the hole so as to give the illusion that the skull was bashed in while still allowing it to be filled with potent rum concoctions :D

I was wondering about the hole vs rum!
I thought it was the type of mug you would have to fill fast and drink faster.
Leave it up to Mad Dog to have the hole repaired from inside the skull.
Go Mike, go
Can't wait to see this come to life.

Jon

Now that's good "Mug Engineering" Mike!

ATP- u making something for da swap?
Fingers crossed

Jon

Not this time Jon, Have a lot of "outside the Tiki scene"
things to contend with lately, but I really need to get back
to creating crap again. :)

Creepy good MadDogMike, Wendy

C
cy posted on Sun, Jun 30, 2013 4:48 PM

Excellent work MadDog, that even disturbs me. Here is the almost completed "Cannibalooza"

hang10: Yeah bamboo can grow like weeds here, but I actually bought some big ass poles for the decor of my tiger hut studio and had some left over pieces. I wouldn't know what to do with green bamboo, it is on Craigslist once in a while but I've got no clue how to dry it out or whatever to get it yellow. Thanks for the compliments, I really dig your cannibal carving. :)

Cy: Thanks for the kind words, your painting is looking great! I am starting to wonder if you designed it for black light, it almost looks like it. :wink:

MDM: That is going to be a really cool skull, I can already picture it based on some of your past projects.

..will be doing rum painting of a Moai enjoying a feast of GILLIGAN

Cy- freekin awesome
Moondog- cant wait to see it shine

Jon

Oh NO!!! He's going to eat the Skipper's little buddy! :o
Love it Moondog :lol:

Cy, I can almost hear the band and the crunching of gristle :D

Cy that is over the top, better than a buffet!

bb moondog poor Gilligan, good job.

Wendy

C
cy posted on Mon, Jul 1, 2013 8:46 AM

Sacrilege and taboo bb moondog- Wish I thought of it!

1st coat of natural stain
Hmmmm
I think this cannibal has been eating victims with hepatitis
He looks a little jaundice to me
Hmmmm

He looks so good. He should go to CY's party and live it up. Wendy

PD

Pike, I LIKE
:)

Everyone's projects are looking good! I'm a slacker but I plan to get started as soon as the graduation party for my sons is over this Saturday. We've been working on the yard and tiki space addition. I'll post pics in the home tiki bars thread if anyone's interested.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 4, 2013 1:14 AM

Why you put GROG on mug?

WC

Ha Ha Ha,
It's GROG mug shot.
Get it ???

Pikey's in! Awesome! Very Cool Pikey :)

***When I was younger, just a bad little kid,
My mama noticed funny things I did,
Like shootin' puppies with a B B gun
I'd poison guppies, and when I was done
I'd find a pussycat and bash in its head

That's when my mama said...***

What did she say?

***She said, "My boy, I think someday
You'll find a way
To make your natural tendencies pay
You'll be a dentist
You have a talent for causin' things pain...

Son, be a dentist
People will pay you to be inhumane!"***

***Oh that hurts! I'm not numb!

Oh, shut up. Open wide. Here I come!***

I am your dentist
And I get off on the pain I inflict...

***Say ah!

Ah!

Say Ah!!

AH!

NOW SPIT!!!***

:tiki:

I worked my way through college as a dental assistant, need any help??? Wendy

You guys are giving me the creepy crawlies!!!!!!
~kele :)

On 2013-07-07 14:52, danlovestikis wrote:
I worked my way through college as a dental assistant, need any help??? Wendy

• Steam sterilizer
  • Dental dam
  • Suction Hose
  • Orthodontic pliers
  • Air-water syringe
  • Dental forceps
  • High-volume Evacuator

:tiki: Solly Kele, bud disses gonna pinth jussa lil' bid! :tiki:

That really takes me back. I still have a vial of mercury. We are a toxic dump site here. Beautiful carving TJ. Wendy

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 7, 2013 4:27 PM

Das lookin' guud Jonesy!

HT

Holy hell. That post? THAT'S dedication.

Freekin awesome

Each added post just gets better & better!

& I finally have a progress pic to post.

I've been working on it for a while now, but this was the first that I could get a decent pic!
~kele

T

TJ, not only is your piece looking awesome, your posts are perfectly over the top. The "Audrey II" Cannibal? Hysterical. "Marathon Man" is still a good and scary movie.

Tigertail, impressive work on bamboo- looks killer (so to speak).

Pikey's Dog, that skull is fantastic. Mike, YOUR skull is fantastic as well. Love how each is unique. Can't wait to see them both finished up. Can I say "great minds think alike?" (um, that was supposed to be a skull joke).

Finally got the swap pieces bisque fired, and... oh no! One of the anthropologists hands was caught crawling away! It seems the slip didn't quite make the connection, and the hand cracked off. I'm going to try to use glaze to re-attach when I glaze fire it. Haven't tried this technique before, though I know Mike and Wendy have used it to great success. When this clay is high fired it should turn black- the outside of the kettle won't be glazed, though the inside will be (and will be food, er, drink, safe).

BM

made some serious HEADWAY with the RHUM paint...refinements are coming but this is 70% THERE
also need groovy FRAME...no glass for easier ship

ahuka a'la a'la palu

BB MoondoggyO
sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

[ Edited by: bb moondog 2013-07-09 09:53 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 9, 2013 10:56 AM

Lookin' good Moondoggy.

Good luck Ano on reattaching the hand.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-07-09 10:58 ]

Now that's some cannibal action!

Kele- lookin good
Ano- my wrist hurts, I like it a lot
Moondog- sweet

Everyone is kicking BUTT.....

Jon

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-07-09 15:37 ]

Z

WOWZERS! Lotsa great stuff!

Zero- awesome.....

Jon

ONE MONTH TO ART SWAP DEADLINE! So much great art already done and much more stuff progressing well. It's not too late to get in on this Swap, even if you haven't started (but it's time to get it on!)

Hang10 - Hit him with some 'roids and keep him away from the liquor, that jaundice will be gone in a few weeks.
Pikey - I like how you formed a nice drinking edge at the jawline. Very inventive.
Jones - You are TWISTED!!! But a very talented carver nonetheless.
Kele- Looks like a great diorama background, can't wait to see what you do with it.
TikiAno - Love that stew pot mug. Hope that glaze fusing works out for you, let me know if you have any questions
Moondog - Great painting. The nice thing about painting with rum is that you can drink the leftovers.

I'm been busy with other things so I haven't made much progress on my project. But I unwrapped it this morning and it's still in good shape for working, I was worried that it had dried out. Will hit it again later this week.

Go Mad Dog Go...

Progressed a little more on mine. I am adding tapa style designs as "bands" around the top and bottom, but they are pretty intricate and I am having a bit of a hard time doing it. The dremel tool is fairly uncomfortable to use because it is so bulky and unwieldy. I am finding after short periods of time with intricate details that my hands start to ache badly and sort of freeze up. I have never experienced this before... is it normal when using a dremel tool? I almost dropped the tool a few times because of the pain its almost like a headache in my hand.

Well anyways here is what I got done so far... After some research I sketched in pencil the combination of a few designs.

Then I started the carving with the dremel.

Closer detail. Unfortunately my hand was getting a little shaky so the designs are not as geometric as they should be.

It will be a relief to finish the tapa details. I am not sure why they hurt my hand so much to do when the shrunken head was relatively easy and painless. I probably won't go as deep as I originally planned and maybe just do a paint wash so the color gets caught in the grooves to highlight them. I am tossing around the idea of what to actually DO with the bamboo when I finish, I am leaning towards turning it into a desk caddy to hold pencils and pens sort of thing by adding a bottom. Any other ideas?

ZeroTiki - I missed your painting. Nice, it's a cannibal-eat-cannibal world out there.
Tiger - That carving is coming along nicely. You might check to see if a flexible shaft attachment is available for your model of Dremel. The really helps because you just hold the headpiece, not the whole motor.

Tiger- what uncle Mike said, a must have

It's looking cool.......

Jon

HT

I third that, x100.

Also, do yourself a favor and get one of these bad boys:
http://www.aajewelry.com/jewelry-supplies/motors-flexshafts/pedals/foredom-sct-pedal/?VariantGuid=70-021

That's the cheapest price for that one, hands down. They make a plastic one, but that one will last forever. And Foredom is one of the best brands in rotary tools for the dental/jewelry industry. Good stuff.

And remember, a little wiggle is okay. Hand of man.

Too many names to mention right now while on vacation but I just need to say everyone is doing such wonderful art. There is so much creativity in this group that these swaps are such a joy. Now we are off to tiki hunt. Cheers, Wendy

Z

YAY!

:tiki: Wicked good cannibal-isms all! Keep gnashing 'til bones break and the flesh bleeds!! If ya desire a taste of inspiration, take a spicy bite outta this: Eating With Cannibals

--or sign-in to YouTube for: Eating With Cannibals HD

...Happy Hunting! :tiki:

Jones, got that video buffering right now so I can check it out!

On 2013-06-30 12:43, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Now that's good "Mug Engineering" Mike!

"Mud Engineering" ~ I like that ATP
The next step is to impale my trophy skull on a bamboo post

Because of the potential leverage involved, it will require some "mud engineering" and some serious reinforcement. I put two more slabs on the bottom to make it almost an inch thick. The problem with stacking flat slabs is the risk of trapping air between the slabs then it goes BOOM in the kiln :o I was pretty careful so hopefully that won't happen. A nice thick tube for the bamboo and a gusset to make it stronger (I hope)

P

R

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 02:59:18 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies