Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Practice Makes Progress (Have A Great Day) Laz

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 511 replies

Hello I am new to Tiki Central.My back ground is the culinary arts I started with fruit then moved to Ice now I want to reinvent my self with the help of Tiki Central Looking forward to carve up a friendship.

Thank you

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-17 12:52 ]

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-18 00:38 ]

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-18 01:06 ]

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-18 01:08 ]

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-18 04:59 ]

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-18 07:18 ]

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-24 04:06 ]

This is a double block Ice sculpture demonstration I did at City walk it was a 16 day event

hear is a sample of my fruit carvings, I am posting these pictures in hope I can get to know members and they get to know me.

My first tiki I was happy with. it took 6 trys to get some thing i was happy with i sold my practice peice for $25
but i would not let this go for under $75 It took me about one hour in a half

This is my inventory right now

This is my inventory right now

I have lots of questions and need Help

Nice stuff,
Nicework.
You're doing great. You'll fit in fine here.
That log pile is a good place to start.
I had to give away a lot of Tikis be for
I got 25.00 for one.
Will

N

Will Thank you for your warm welcome. I thank the God of the Sabal Palm for your service to a fellow Carver.
I would like to ask you for some guidiance in my new Journey, As a Grass Cutter. Brother will where can I get a pro bar. Can you help me with that first. I take the gas chainsaw to the Land fill but I use electric for the Palm

N

Will Your work is very nice!I looked you up in members. So for just starting In Cutting Tall Grass I have a Head start with my culinary Art back ground, You have givin me hope to be a better Carver. Thank you

N

I made theese Ice Tiki for a Special Event Company

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-16 07:00 ]

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-16 07:01 ]

N

My 2nd Tiki
i

N

My very first Tiki

N

My 2nd Tiki

P

cool bro.. looks like you're on the right track..

have fun & welcome to the party...

First Painted Tiki

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-16 10:51 ]

P

you just went down the "wrong road"...

circle back... lol... :wink:

Nice work Nicework :wink: Welcome to Tiki Central
The ice sculpture and food are great, good start on the wood tikis.
Where are you located Nicework?

T

There is also a place for food type stuff on TC.
Nice ice by the way.
I like to carve vegis too.
Want to see your pumpkin this year.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34873&forum=6&start=2070&2075

N

Thank you Mad Dog . I am from Orlando fl.

N

Thanks Tiki Skip! I really do not do pumpkins anymore but hear is one I did a few years back its a watermelon eyes and tonge

N

I have been doing some home work I heard the CS 450 echo is great, I ran to my garage and was happy that what I have is a CS 400, I bought it at a pawn shop for $150, I mnot use to Gas I only use it when I go to the Land fill I am using my electric chainsaw right now!

N

Is it ok to use a electric chainsaw, I have a poulan right now but would a powerful sthl electric work for sable palm

N

STIHL MS192C-E 30.1cc 10" - 25cm Petrol Carving Chainsaw when Iam ready for a carving gas I will pick this I guess

Most Ice carvers use stihl. I think I might just stick with the brand thats been working

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-16 18:09 ]

N

I think I am going to become a power tool carver no chisels just do not have the patience

N

I found this wood at the land fill I have know Idea what they are! Please help!

N

Right now I only have on place to Go to find Prehistoric Grass
But its free for the taking

"If your new be new Just For Today" ?

N

LOL well I am new to carving sabal palm been doing it now for a month. I am new to this new medium and i need to be patient and not want to be well experience in tiki carving in 1 month I am new and need to stay new.

That pumpkin is outrageous.
You got skills.
I use an electric makita with a carve bar.
With no outlet at the dump, gas is helpful.
I also use rasps,chisels,sand paper & x-actos.
1/4 in chain & bar is my choice.It's common. Here's one.
http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/CHAIN-SAW-CARVING/products/12/

N

Why is some sabal palm tikis fiberous in the middle and some solid, can you still carve the one with fiber in the midle

N

WoW WILL CARVE thanks will I really need some Guidiance. May the Spirit of The Wood we Carve Bless Continue Blessing your Hands and Heart

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-17 05:24 ]

N

This is the man that tought me how to carve Ice in the 90s we have worked together through out the years.He is a Champion Ice Carver. I asked him to come over my house to cut some wood, here are his first 5 sabale palm carvings.
Even though he never made tikis before he gave me alot of direction and lead me in the right derection

Virgil Medina firt 4 tikis

Virgil Medina

LAZ

Virgil edina & LAZ

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-17 05:45 ]

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-17 05:46 ]

Nice work Nicework! Welcome aboard Tiki Central, looks like you are off to a great
start. Thanks also for posting the ice carvings, some of us are prone to slide away
from tikis now and then, I love the big bear sculpts.
Keep 'em coming.

To answer your question about Palm. Palm is wildly inconsistent - depending on how they are cut, where they grew, why they died, how they are dried... alot of variables. If you plan to use power tools, the type of wood is not as important as if you were to use chisels. Good luck and keep posting!

T

Nice Work, indeed! You obviously know where you're going. I envy you guys who can create pieces that quickly... keep up the good work!

Hello don t mine me I have Tiki Central Illness, What a great place to document the Learning prosses,
My Goal is to make Quality Tiki s in less than a Hour, if not painted, This one Took me one hour from start to finish. I made a couple mistakes that I am concerned of. The eye has a deep cut and the mouth on the bottom has a real deep cut, This is the design that I am going to keep until i can make it fast but still being a cool piece,
Basic Ice Carving designs take usally one hour so I want to keep it at the same range, I also want to have step by step images for the next new guy that shows up. In the book the 7 habbits of effective people Dr. Convey says to learn you must teach first this changes your perception of how you are learning.

CUT ENDS AND MARK MIDDLE AND SIDES

CUT BARK LIKE YOU WHERE CUTTING ROAST BEEF (((((( THANKS SOUL SURF TIKIS))))))))))

SAND OFF TO MAKE SMOOOOOOTH

DRAW DESIGN

CUT IN WITH CHAIN SAW AND FOLLOW THE LINES ( STAY IN SIDE THE LINES )

GET JIGGY WITH IT!! IMPORTANT NOTE REGGAE MUSIC GO S WELL WITH JIGGY PART USING WHAT EVER POWER TOOLS YOU HAVE

OOOH NO ! MOVED TO FAST 2 MISTAKES I DO NOT LIKE EYES AND MOUTH GOT A LITTLE TO JIGGY

90 minutes start to finish

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-17 12:51 ]

N

Making a effort to stay on topic How-to topics for tiki carving.

Chisel! I do not like Chisel work it takes to long to use, On Ice I love chiesel work you do not use a mallet on ice it more like a shaving ice, very clean strokes it awsome, In wood I know that quality come from good chisel workmanship

So I am researching what to put on the wish list!

What do you use?

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-18 02:08 ]

N

Hello fellow palm cutters. What chain saw do you use. I want to use electric I am more comfortable with electric.
I still do not know how to mix the gas and oil. Electric is lighter and not as noisy for the niegbors,
Will Carve . told me you guys use makita

I like this one i used it for ice its loud and likes to sceam. Stilh is not as loud.

I can not wait to get a pro carving bar

N

Making a effort to stay on topic How-to topics for tiki carving.

Die Grinder This is what ice carvers use, Snow makers I wonder how this would work on Palm.
Shoot I can not wait to try some Good burs and rasp I know they will make all the dference

DAM I WISH

WHAT DO YOU USE?

[ Edited by: nicework 2014-09-18 02:39 ]

N

Will Carve , mentoned using X-Actor I wonder if this is what he is talking about!

N

I wonder if any body uses this it looks pretty cool

N

LOOKING FORWARD TO LEARN TRADITIONAL TIKI CARVING!!
LOOKING FORWARD TO LEARN TRADITIONAL TIKI CARVING!!

I JUST DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO START!!

CAN SOMEBODY HELP WITH A BASIC STARTING DESIGN

THESE ARE MY FIRST SABAL PALM CARVINGS WOULD LIKE TO TRY A MORE TRADITIONAL TIKI

You can fill a warehouse with all of the tool options out there. The Flexcuts may be the best purchase you make, next to the chainsaw.

If you really want to fit in here you need to do more research into what is "tiki". There are many heated debates on TC, just do a search. There is MUCH more to being "tiki" than carving goofy, smiling faces. As a resident of FL, I understand the negative influences you see as "tiki" in reality is not (Jimmy Buffet, day-glo painted tikis and Party Store imagery). Your off to a fantastic start, now you need to expand your research. You will find there are iconic styles that can influence the way you interpret what is "tiki". You head may explode with creative possibilities!

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2014-09-18 07:03 ]

N

THANK YOU SO MUCH! THIS HAS BEEN GREAT ADVICE I WANT TO LEARN. I AM VERY NEW TO TIKI AND I WILL ADJUST MY CARVING SKILL TO BETTER FIT THIS FORUMS. IT IS ONLY GOING TO PUSH ME TO BE A BETTER CARVER. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO COME BACK
WITH A LITTLE MORE EDJUCATION ON TRADITIONAL TIKIS AND HOPE FULLY A ORIGINAL STYLE TIKI THANK YOU SO MUCH

Nicework, do a Google image search for "Hawaiian Tiki","Marquesan tiki","Polynesian Sculpture" etc, you will get some nice images of more "traditional" Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 511 replies