Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Practice Makes Progress (Have A Great Day) Laz

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 511 replies

N

Tiki men shoe $1.50 plus shipping and handiling, missing left shoe!

[ Edited by: nicework 2015-11-20 19:14 ]

N

Hello TC Its Been 17days since I carved , I finally Got started today. Here is a picture I drew and sent it to a

Company to get a graphic artist to clean it up I think this will be a cool logo for t shirts and website

I got Excepted to Orlandos Biggist farmers market, Its every sunday for $30

We decided to debark 50 palms we where able to debark 35 in to days

Today I was able to start 2 palms and Finish a African Cypress carving, Daunte did not come in today because he is working on sunday so tomarro he will sand and stain while i keep carving,

In March Febuary I was offered a booth for 7 days at The County fair in trade for a Ice sculpting demonstration, and in march i have two promo shows one for a Stihl dealer and one for a Echo Dealer,

Its a exciting time could have never done this if i didnt find TIKI CENTRAL to help me learn how to carve palms and I also got very inspired by so many great artist on theis furum I am very grateful thank you so much,

WC

Good job Laz.
Very impressive.

N

Thank You Will. I am a odd ball, But when I first joined in September Last year, with just having basic carving skills You helped me tremendously with links to get the right tools for wood carving, and alot of helpful information on types of palms ect, ect. thank you so much.

Well the time has come for me to start making Moai!

N

Hello TC todays production , my first maoi and a seahorse

N

Hello TC I had a late start today but got some fun done

Finished the Sea Horse and Started A Angel Fish

Well I have 3 days left for my first time at Orlandos farmers market, at lake Eola. I hope to finish these carvings between today and tomarro, I am pretty tired.

You should cut some of those logs in half and make some masks that can hang on the wall. They are always popular.

Thanks Aloha ! I need all the Guidance I can get, I do need to make some small stuff for this Weekly Farmers market. Not every body is going to spend $200 plus at a farmers market , I think thats what I am going to concentrate on next week,

Big Ups and thank you

I detailed the angel fish now to burn brush stain and polyurathaine It was a fun carve I enjoy 3 d carvings .

N

Well I finished for Carvings today,

The Galaxy Tiki

Swimming Angel fish

The Lost Golden Tiki

Moai

Seahorse on Coral

Thanks for looking Practice makes progress have a nice Day

N

Hello Tiki Central. Well I was able to carve 5 sculptures this week. I am ready For Orlandos Farmers Market , this sunday , I just need to load the Van.

Next week I am shooting for 20 Carvings, Its possible

N

Hello Tiki Central ! My Galaxy Tiki Glows in the dark so you don't have to! I sprayed it with a glow in the dark spray paint, Thanks for looking! Practice makes progress have a nice day!

T

great idea!! that might be a tiki first?!

N

Thanks Big T . The mind is a terrible thing to waste especially when i wasted it for so many years,

N

Hello Tiki Central Sold Six Carvings This Week, Thank you all for showing me the way, Practice makes progress!Have a great day!

N

Well i mentioned I was going to carve 20 carvings this week, My van water pumped broke had to spend the day running around, so I have for days to make twenty carvings, I have 20 logs already debarked so that will increase the chances,, So I would have to carve 5 a day, Its possible!

SAFTEY FIRST!

What ever you do.
Don't stop!

N

Will Thank you so much for the incourage I am just a print out of the input that i have been getting here on TIKI CENTRAL, So i ask you the same brother ,

Bruddah u on fire
I've been working on 1 piece forever
Go go go

Thank you Brother It all come from my Ice carving Back Ground , we use to carving up 6 to 8 carvings a day in holiday seasons . specially last minute orders , But keep in mind I only use power tools and sabur tooth is my chiesels

N

Started A Hawaian Bird On tree, today . No i can not tell a lie its just a dam bird.Just started carving with out figuring out what the tree was going to come out like and i am making alot of errors,

D

Do you find that those are the shapes of Saburr Tooth bits that you use most often? I'm asking for some of them for Christmas and I'm not really sure which ones to get...

N

DHT tiki, those are extra course so, Thoose work for me , there not that expensive $20 about worth every penny!

I really like carving 3 d carvings they are so much more fun to carve , a little rusty but practice makes progress, Have a Great day

So much for the twenty carvings i was going to make. I have only started two Maybe next week , its possible

N

N

Hello TC I have not been to productive But I am back on track this week , thanks for looking, Right now I am just carving making whatever, hope i don t offend any one, practice make progress!

C
cy posted on Tue, Dec 29, 2015 5:38 PM

You have some nice flow and motion in your latest Laz!

Way kool

T

On 2015-12-29 15:39, nicework wrote:

say, that's really nice!

N

I had alot of fun carving this peice , Carving 3 d sculptures are so much fun, but really hard on the chais and saw
thanks for, looking I have no idea what i am going to make next, looking forward to it! though Practice make progress

N

Thanks Guys for the comments,its awesome being a part of TC , Looking forward to do Traditional stuff soon ,

I just have to pump the carvings out to pay bills lol

N

Thanks for looking have a great day!

T

On 2015-12-30 15:32, nicework wrote:
I had alot of fun carving this peice , Carving 3 d sculptures are so much fun, but really hard on the chais and saw
thanks for, looking I have no idea what i am going to make next, looking forward to it! though Practice make progress

Lad, aren't u carving palm? I wouldn't think it would wear out your tools so much?

[ Edited by: TheBigT 2016-01-01 12:03 ]

N

Big T, Well some palm are very solid just like wood, When you make tiki face your really not cutting big chunks of palm out , tiki faces are more like drawing with a chainsaw where as when you are making 3 d carvings your really taking out large pieces of wood all around the palm instead of just the front, but yes alot softer than cutting some oak, i heard that is like a rock i have not carved oak yet , just palm cypress and cedar, thanks for the comment though,

On 2015-12-30 09:18, TheBigT wrote:

On 2015-12-29 15:39, nicework wrote:

say, that's really nice!

Ditto. Nice job on this guy!!

WC

Your sculptures are really good.
That sail fish is way cool but I bet
that tail is fragile.
Palm, when it gets thin is not so noble.

N

Thanks Will yes it was a lttle fragile . but the Palm was solid , thanks for the Comment

N

Hello Tiki Central I have not been posting lately, just wanted to post pictures of the past 25 days , Pictures from the Farmers Market selling on the side of the road here in Orlando, New carvings and carvings that i am now working on, thanks for looking practice makes progress have a nice day!

Here is my New Logo

This is at the Orlandos Farmers Market every sunday

This is at a corner of of a main street on East Orlando and other areas. I also carve while i am their ,I do not have a permit yet so I do not do it often but when I do I always sell enough to make me happy

Here are the carvings I have made form 1/16

Here are my first Palm Fronds

Here are carvings I am working on

thank you so for looking , Well you guys know my background is Ice Carving and i made a decision to leave the ice industry on September. I left because all ice carving companies are using the cnc machine , I just got bored placing a block in the machine and letting the machine do all the work them me comming in and touching the machine made sculpture , I could not do that any longer i miss old school hand carvings , So I decided to start doing tiki carvings because i knew some one in tampa that did that , so i thought it would be a peice a cake . but it was not ,
But you guys on here coached me helped me should me the tools and tequnics for that I am grateful.

Today I Only do Ice Carving shows I did this Gig last year with Another Artist, Americas Got talent contacted me yesterday and ask me if I can do A 90 second show, I said yes so they asked me for a video to show the Executive Producer, So The Guy that filmed our Show put this together, I know its not Tiki but I thought I would share the link,

I am so grateful for Tiki Central I have grown so much and it has opened a new world of opertunities for me , Thank You All Love and respect

https://vimeo.com/153337382

C
cy posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2016 10:58 AM

Awesome Laz, love it!

Congrats on the opprtunity. I'm curious as to what you do in 90 seconds??

I like your fronds.
What did you carve with?

N

thank you guys! Will i used a sander and dremmil and die grinder with saburtooth I worked whith what ever was working . lol thank you

N

Hello tiki central I spent alot more time on this design then i wanted to but i learn alot form it thanks for looking
Practice makes progress thanks for looking.

H
Heath posted on Fri, Jan 29, 2016 5:55 PM

That's an interesting carve, I hope you haven't gone too thin on the water spout.

Wow.
Was that inspired by Mai-Tais or Barrels of Rum?

N

Thanks Will, That was inspired by the teachings of my teacher/Guru of the Culinary Arts Chef Rufino Pambuan
Garde Marge Chef Universal Studious, He seen the ambition I had and took me under his wing, Garde Manger is the department in the kitchen that deals with Cold Food, fruit platters annti pasto vegetable trays cheese trays ect. ect. So one day i made this beutiful fruit tray and he was very pleased, The next day I did the same one and he was very dissapointed and quite irritable he pulled me into his office and gave me a lesson to live by as a Artist.
He said never make the same thing twice and teach everything you know, That will put you in a creative mind frame and you will never bore the people you are displaying the art to, , in the culinary arts you usally serve the same people so you have to give them some thing new, Then he told me if you teach what you know it forses you to continue learning new designs if not your student will out grow you, So Will I have done so many diffrent Carvings since i Have been on here that I come with crazy designs lol thank you so much Will you have been so helpful in my tiki journey

I almost for got When I was working in Culinary arts I was the Ice carver for the hotel so we would have a Sunday Brunch ever sunday , So with the taking head to my teacher i always made a new designs for the sunday bruch,
The chef gave me the freedom to carve anything I wanted so for one year I made 55 difrent carvings lol

[ Edited by: nicework 2016-01-30 07:40 ]

H

This is a real fun thread to come to, keep carving and putting pictures up. Love your work, its playful and fun to look at. All your pieces have movement to them, they flow and I like that. Too bad you live so far.

N

Hello Tiki Central . Hope your having a nice day Practice makes progress

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 511 replies