Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

101 Years of Stephen Crane Art Swap - DONE!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies

OK, after lots of great input and some thought I have a theme for the Swap - 100 Years of Stephen Crane. Stephen would have been 100 years old this year so we will honor this Tiki pioneer with art inspired by him and his restaurants - The Beverly Hills Luau. Ports o' Call in San Pedro, Toronto, and Dallas. The Kon Tiki in Cincinnati, Waikiki, and Cleveland. Lots of material to choose from including matchbooks or drink menus that were included as possible themes.

Let's end the Swap July 31, which will give us time for any Swappers who are attending Tiki Oasis (Aug 10th) to swap in person if the occasion presents itself.

Official Swap Rules - Artists create an work of Tiki art based on the "Stephen Crane" theme. Can be any media; clay, wood, paint, fabric, beads, digital, metal, glass, mixed media, etc. The intent is for this to be an original "one-off" work of art, not part of a mass produced run. If it is created from an existing mold it should be heavily modified. Digital art or screen prints should be printed on a nice substrate, not just run off on a piece of art pad paper. You must post a picture of your finished piece by the deadline in order to be included in the drawing, anyone who does not show evidence of a finished project will not be included in the name drawing. Names will be drawn at random and paired together, these people will swap art. Remember that you will probably ship your art to your partner, don't make anything so large or heavy that it cannot be shipped cost effectively. If you are not an established Swapper and/or established TC member, I will ask for real name and cell phone number so we have a solid contact in the event of a problem. Most of all, have fun and interact with some fellow TC folks :D

Sadly, Art Swap participation has been slowly decreasing and our last Swap was the first one with single digit participants :( Most years we have had a Winter and a Summer Swap, this year there was no call for a Winter Swap so I didn't bring it up.

I think there are some assorted reasons why participation is dropping -

1. Overall Tiki Central traffic is way down as far as I can tell. Probably too many years of infighting (TC as a whole, not this group) at a time when Facebook was on the rise.
  2. Several people have been burned over the years when they sent out art and didn't get any back
  3. Theme choice is important, sometimes a theme just doesn't appeal to individuals who would normally participate.

If we are going to have a Summer Swap to end before Tiki Oasis, now it the time to get started. Before I ask about possible themes, I want to ask the hard questions; Is this tradition worth carrying on? What can we do to attract more participants?

Rum is the reason pirates never ruled the world

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-08-01 08:46 ]

T

It's cool you put so much time into this Mike.

"sometimes a theme just doesn't appeal to individuals who would normally participate"

This has been my reason for not doing it in past years.
Still have a space theme light I want to make and never did, but then I never signed on for that one as well.

"1) Overall Tiki Central traffic is way down as far as I can tell. Probably too many years of infighting (TC as a whole, not this group) at a time when Facebook was on the rise."

The heck you say, you just hit one million hits! and Wendy gets like Ten thousand a day.
It's can't be that.

Good luck!

Hi Mike,

I would participate in a swap. I missed the last two because of other time commitments. I don't see the popularity of this site returning since so many members have gone on to other groups in Facebook. My suggestion would be to post in the Facebook groups the idea of an art swap to get more participants.

just last week I thought "man we haven't had a swap in awhile, I should ask MDM" but then I kinda forgot.

I'd be in, if, like you said in #3, the theme is something I dig.

Either way you're a good dude for setting them up and taking care of it all.

Maybe instead swapping, MDM picks a theme he loves and we all make something for him?

I can't resist a good swap. Here's my theme suggestion.

I think everyone has a tiki or a South Pacific item in their collection that is there favorite. There is something that makes it special.
How about each person creates something based on their personal favorite. Show a photo of what you have and what you make.

Ok everyone now what's your idea for the swap.

Cheers, Wendy

On 2017-03-16 20:32, ErichTroudt wrote:
...Maybe instead swapping, MDM picks a theme he loves and we all make something for him?

:lol: No, we're not doing that. That's why I like the "swap" part of an Art Swap - something LEAVES the house to make room for something new :lol:

On 2017-03-16 15:03, MaukaHale wrote:
My suggestion would be to post in the Facebook groups the idea of an art swap to get more participants.

I think I have done that before but it is definitely worth doing again. I also send out a group email to almost everyone who has ever participated before

On 2017-03-16 21:50, hang10tiki wrote:
I'm down

On 2017-03-17 08:23, danlovestikis wrote:
I can't resist a good swap...

Jon and Wendy, I appreciate that. You have both participated in every Swap since you have been around TC :D

On 2017-03-17 08:23, danlovestikis wrote:
I think everyone has a tiki or a South Pacific item in their collection that is there favorite. There is something that makes it special.
How about each person creates something based on their personal favorite. Show a photo of what you have and what you make.

I like the concept of a more unified theme but that's just me. There's no reason to stick to a rigid theme, especially if it keeps people from participating. I like your idea Wendy. Anyone else?

I'm all about the classics... menus, matchbooks, actual tiki stuff. We start doing seasons and animals and astrological signs etc I get turned off real quick.

Just thinking out loud...not suggesting anything....but In the few swaps I've been in, I always wished I knew what the person wanted before I started. I could make a wood carving for inside the house and really they wanted a sign the went out by the pool...somebody makes me a lamp and I wish it was an ashtray for cigars... I'm always self conscious I'm giving somebody something they could care less about. anybody feel like that?

I'm done being a sissy and discussing my feelings... MDM, pick a topic..we trust you lol

"I'm done being a sissy and discussing my feelings" You crack me up Erich! :lol: I hope to meet you one of these days

I get what you're saying about "classic" Tiki themes. We all have limited time, resources, and inspiration - there's nothing wrong with wanting to spend those resources on a project that you really enjoy doing. I didn't participate in the "Ladies of Tiki Swap" - not because I couldn't find inspiration, but because I was afraid of what I might receive and whether or not I could display it in public. In general, the "pot luck" nature of the swap adds to the fun for me. Over the years I have received some "Whoa! This is AWESOME!!!!" and also a few "Hmmm, what am I going to do with this?" :lol: But I still have them all and they make me smile when I find one stashed away. I'm sure some of the "art" I sent out fit into the "Hmmm, what am I going to do with this?" category :wink:

As far as picking a person in advance and personalizing the project to them, that opens a whole 'nother can of worms. Under the current structure, we often have several people at the beginning who express interest and intend to participate, but then it doesn't work out. With the names drawn at the end, there is no harm if someone drops out. But if you draw names at first and customize your art to that person then they drop out and don't reciprocate, someone will be hurt. I'm not saying we can't do it, just that there is much more risk involved.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-03-18 03:19 ]

From Erich:

I'm all about the classics... menus, matchbooks, actual tiki stuff.
We start doing seasons and animals and astrological signs etc
I get turned off real quick.

From me:

I agree
:)

Ps- Mike, the pieces I have from you are in the AWESOME category!!!!!!!!!

T

Well if you have a "Ladies of Tiki Swap" that is fine for a person who works with paint or clay or even carves.

But try making a Ladies of Tiki light.
I can do other types of art medium but it's going to be some piece of crap you won't want
and I don't want to send somebody some pile of tiki turd just to fit a weird theme so this may keep some from joining.

Maybe it's time to can the theme idea
And just say make something tiki-ish

Its the "ish" part that scares me.. lol

Hey, I just read that Steven Crane was born in 1917...that makes it his 100th....so what if we did a steven crane theme?

Lots of restaurants, mugs, matchbooks, menus and images available to get motivation from. Its old school tiki. Kinda covers everyones talents.. skip recreates a lamp thats seen in a pic, wendy creates a new steven crane mug that never existed that should have... just examples of course.

Its a theme, but it gives plenty of creative room....

Huh?

ErichTroudt Ha Ha a shouldhavebeen. It's flattering that you know that's how this all started for me. I love these swaps no matter how busy I am I'm IN! Wendy

I've been stuck on night shift this past week and haven't paid enough attention to this thread.

We've got 2 great original theme ideas here with "Stephen Crane - 100 Years" and "My Favorite Tiki" (Sorry Jon, I'm stubborn and not ready to give up the theme, at least not yet :lol: ) Both traditional with plenty of room for interpretation. Any thoughts?

Will you send me a penny?

Hi y'all!

(just kidding, I'm not Southern :wink:)

Long time, no talk. Thanks for the email, Mike! I'm guilty of all, or most, of the above. I haven't been around TC for a couple of reasons. First, the hubs and I fulfilled my lifelong dream last June of buying a beach house. We're taking an empty upstairs and building out a 3 bed, 1.5 bath plus den space. So every weekend since the summer ended we've been driving down and working on it. Second, I'm swamped at school and lastly, I mostly came on here for the Creating Tiki thread and since Wendy and Mike and I are now Facebook friends I get my fix of creativity that way and I don't make time to visit.

Also, I'm sure the recipients of my "Art" in the past might have been slightly disappointing. And I'm guilty of bailing out once.

But I miss you all terribly and will try to be better. I'm up for a swap if you'll take me back. As for the theme, I like the idea of your special item being motivation or perhaps your first tiki acquisition? I'd have to Google Steven Crane since I'm not sure who he is! LOL

I'll also through this out there - said beach house has a lovely knotty pine paneled sunroom with a bow/bay window that has started to become tiki-fied. I have one wood carved tiki which was a gift when Pittsburgh Pauly visited us, a Trader Vic's boat, a puffer and a Coco Joe's and that's it. So everyone can feel free to create something for that room and send it to me and I promise NOT to send me a piece of my "art" in return. Any takers on that?

Lori- welcome home
Congrats on da vaca home
Pics?
Tiki it up for sure

Jon

Congrats on the beach house Lori! You never know, you might get some people to volunteer art :wink:

Of course you are welcome to swap! I'm sure all your swap partners loved your art Lori, you art with heart :) And you have not bailed. It's OK to start a project and not finish - it's the rare occasion that someone finished a project and was included in the drawing but never sent out their project. THAT'S a problem :lol:

Z

Hey, everybody!
I know it has been awhile since I have reared my head (heh, heh,heh..."reared"). I have had a couple of burnings, and got a little gun shy myself. It is rough when you work on something, and find the reciprocation lacking, especially if you have impulse control issues putting your swap piece together. I think my recipients know that I have trouble stopping when I start to fill a box..... ;D

Like Lori, I have been working on a new addition as well... Caz & I got a house with a nice big backyard, & I am building a Huki Hut in back. UNLIKE Lori, I haven't gotten very far yet.

All of that being said, I would like to jump back in the pool.
Best,
~Zero

It's always so much fun to see friends names pop up. Hi Lori, Hi Zero.

MDM is looking for topic suggestions. I did mine, what is your?

Wendy

How about "your favorite Cevola mug?"

Heehee!

I am pretty open to theme. If it outside of my comfort zone, that is just a challenge!
Hugs,
~Z

I can't wait to see all your in progress pics, Zero! I love a build. I'm actually itching to build another outdoor bar at the beach house but my husband told me I need to relax. (killjoy)

Thanks for all the congrats! If anyone wants to friend my on Facebook I'm Lori Tiki at the moment. The beach house has a FB page too - https://www.facebook.com/Bigwhitehouselbi/?ref=bookmarks

Here's a pic of my favorite room before I added a few tiki touches. There's definitely potential there but right now the bottom gets rented out so at the beginning of the summer all my treasures will get moved upstairs.

On the Facebook page you can see the bay window and my light up palm tree!

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2017-03-22 15:22 ]

Zero in da house

Lori- wow, looks like a great place
(Not a faciebookspace person)
But I was able to see the pics
Awesome

I will participate regardless of topic.
Can't wait always love the art swaps,
thank you so much Mike for hosting.

Just wondering has the topic ever
been just a style of art i.e. : pop, steampunk,
Modern, so on.

Lori I love your art it's on my dining
table right now. I have all my swap art
up and love it all good memories.
Mahalo

Im in if the theme is palatable.

C
cy posted on Thu, Mar 23, 2017 7:26 PM

How 'bout "The Moobs of Tiki"?

C
cy posted on Thu, Mar 23, 2017 7:26 PM

This is always fun for me MadDog, I'm in and thanks for hosting again!

[ Edited by: cy 2017-03-23 19:32 ]

T

Mike, thanks for the email reminder! I admit I've been away from TC for a bit. I blame work (busy busy busy with planning/ opening retail shops), raising the small human, amongst other (poor) excuses. I miss all the fun of TC, I've had to get on my computer every night working until I pass out until using it for fun. The joys of small business ownership! I admit to posting personal art on Instagram, if only bc it's easier to post photos- and admittedly I get more views/ replies than here on TC.

I'm down for a swap and will find some time to make stuff. (I've actually been busy making ceramics for a (threatened) tiki art show here in SD (though now it's on hold). I love making art based on themes- as long as they're not Disney. I would vouch for something other then using other artists' past work (I would say Disney falls under this, as well as Stephen Crane (though I suppose you could use one of his restaurants as an inspiration rather than the Crane mugs/ vessels?). I think there are great themes suggested but not used in the past. I'm not wholly inspired by matchbooks but can work with it!

Lori and Zero, congrats on the exciting home news.

Lori, I love the Art Swap piece that I received. Don't sell yourself short!

I'm not sure how to expand the reach of the Art Swap. I'm not sure if it's reduction in TC traffic (myself included, though Wendy's traffic alone shows that there is a ton of traffic)- but a Tiki Central Art Swap FB group can work? (Though it might be another nail in TC's demise)?

Perhaps we can announce it as the "Last Ever Tiki Central Art Swap" which will attract more (desperate?) participants, then call the next one the same thing?? It's not unlike a "Going out of business!!!" sign for a store NOT going out of business?!?! Kidding but kind of not kidding on that one?

Thanks for organizing once again, and sorry for the long winded rambling. :wink:

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2017-03-23 21:51 ]

Tiki Match books
favorite Tiki
favorite Tiki bar
Tiki bar sign
Favorite mug disign
Bob
Easter Island

So many topics, so little time

Adventure!

T

I just went back to do some research, I (still) love cy's idea from a little bit ago: art based on tiki drinks (Zombie, Missionary's Downfall), and so on... gives a wide range of latitude and approaches. So many different ways to go, and it will be fun to see how everyone approaches this! Other ideas?

I also like Jon's idea of a Mad Dog Mike (inspired) themed swap.... another option with lots of different approaches- and should get everyone's creative juices flowing...???

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2017-03-23 22:28 ]

T

On 2017-03-23 19:26, cy wrote:
How 'bout "The Moobs of Tiki"?

AWESOME! winner.

"Wendy's traffic alone shows that there is a ton of traffic"
News flash, it's one guy clicking over and over every day racking up all those hits.
For a ten dollars I will tell you who it is, And won't leave you hangin.

tikiskip I have always suspected that it was you! Now I'm almost sure of it. Thank you because I love my numbers - hey isn't that a TV add of some kind?

===============================

I like all the ideas so far. Here's one more:

Atomic Tiki Art. I sure do like all those retro designs.

Wendy

T

"tikiskip I have always suspected that it was you!"

Good come back.

You caught me.
Hey don't I get free pedants or free mug or something?
30 pieces of tiki?

Nothin.

Some good ideas here just to get back on topic.
Tiki Match books
favorite Tiki
favorite Tiki bar
Tiki bar sign
Favorite mug disign
Bob
Easter Island

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2017-03-24 08:33 ]

Hi TikiAno! Thanks for your sweet comments!

I'm really liking a tiki drink theme! I can see signs, paintings, 3-d art, etc on that theme! Just my $.02.

My backyard Tiki has moobs :lol:

tikiskip PM your address to me and I will send you something as a thanks. You can rest that finger so I can tell if anyone else views my work. Wendy

T
TU posted on Fri, Mar 24, 2017 5:38 PM

Wendy...if I send you my address will you send me some more art too? Just kidding. Unless you will really do it.

Here is my idea...Mike should pick a theme before this thread is 4 pages long.

[ Edited by: tu 2017-03-25 08:27 ]

T

Ha! Wendy you are too kind.
I need to get rid of tiki but thank you.

Plus I should not profit from my bad deeds.
There is a numbers park at OSU and I'm going to get you a pic of it.

Thanks for being a good sport, I was bad.

So Mike
What's it going to be?????????

tikiskip kidding is fun not bad. It's nice to visit with someone I've admired for so long.

============================

MadDogMike so what's it gonna be. It's time to get to work! Wendy

T

Mike, make sure it's a good one... :wink:

Or, if Mike throws it back, is there ANY concensus for the "Last TC Art Swap Ever?!?!?!"

Once again, I'd vote for a theme that allows individual artists to be inspired by, and not making their own renditions of, existing work.

I also dig Anthony's theme of going for an "existing style" of Art- sort of a "tiki outside the box" art project?

T
TU posted on Sun, Mar 26, 2017 3:24 PM

If this is the last one...how about something fitting the end...like atomic tiki?

T

Moai with Santa hats wearing a Hawaiian shirt on black velvet is a good theme idea.

On 2017-03-26 16:10, tikiskip wrote:
Moai with Santa hats wearing a Hawaiian shirt on black velvet is a good theme idea.

I like it Skip - lets go with that!!!!
Just kidding. I have been busy this week but I appreciate all of the input. I will come up with a theme in the next couple days :D

T

On 2017-03-26 15:24, TU wrote:
If this is the last one...how about something fitting the end...like atomic tiki?

The "last" one (wink wink nudge nudge) Art Swap... for now, that is. (I hope).

I also like Skip's theme allows for quite a bit of interpretation, so I'm all for that, too. :wink:

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2017-03-27 22:01 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies