Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Jungle's Outpost

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 492 replies

K
kirby posted on Fri, Jul 8, 2005 4:05 PM

Sunland? SoCAL, Foothills of LA...5 miles from the Lucky Tiki.

NICE! I dig the smile on the second one. Are those your Fair entries, Vic?

Aaron

Thanks AA, these aren't the ones for the fair. I'm working on some telephone pole tikis for a dockside tropical theme with large rope for that. We'll see how it turns out.

Here I am adding the finishing touch to Funk Ku Mastah Wang

WHEW! Hard work!

On 2005-05-18 20:52, Polynesiac wrote:
cool stuff, JT.

master landscaper, master carver, master-bator???!!!

Lookin' really good! I really like the spooge too.

Arrrrrr! Couldn't help it! Sorry !!!! This board has been lagging!

Nesiac. Was at La Conga this eve. Soon the upstairs will be tiki. Mid winter.

Yah, I once had a job at the pier, started out as an apprentice baitor, worked my way up.

Here's the latest edition of the "MINNIE'S" Tiki Mug. Only 54 of these were made with brown metallic glaze and "MINNIE'S" engraved on the back side. $35.00 each.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-08-12 16:55 ]

B

Now you are the Master baitor. You know you can get carbide chain loops for carving telephone pols and other tough sandy woods???
Like the Mug. Coming to Huki this year???

F
foamy posted on Wed, Oct 5, 2005 5:21 AM

I like that mug alot. Where do ya get 'em?

Thanks Benz, hey I will try a carbide chain. I just sold a few of the T pole carvings that were on display at the County Fair this last summer.
Not going to Huki this year. I will miss the Mai Kai. Such an awesome place.

Foamy, I sent you a PM.

B

I forgot to tell you they are available at http://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm
There are 2 types, 1 has the teeth welded on like a table saw blade, and the other is called "Inject-a-sharp carbide chain" and it just has carbide pieces welde to the teeth like some of the carbide burs, and it is much cheaper.

JT, I WILL make the pilgrimage to Minnies to get one of these... one of these days for sure.

I missed that last tiki update...very nice work- I totally dig that last one, very creative style. THose mugs are lookin' good to. YOu producing those yourself?

Thanks AA.
Polynesiac, I had someone make these for me. But these are done. No more will be made. I also have the original plaster model if anyone is interested in buying it.

Design by Chongolio, The Swingin' Cannibal

Hey JT! great combo with chongo! I dig the hair...it's on FIRE!

I have to say too that you are quite adept at burning the tikis...the sizzle marks are very precise. Nice job. got any more?

Polly, carve burn, sand, burn sand, carve, burn and sand some more. I'm taking a break from carving for a while.

Mahalo

Polly, carve burn, sand, burn sand, carve, burn and sand some more. I'm taking a break from carving for a while.

Nice stuff JT. What's next on your todo list?

Carving is great, sanding sucks. Burning might be cool... never tried it. Big comps to Jungle Trader and Chongo. Excellent design and execution!

A-A

B

That's very niceJungle trader, it looks like an UnFriendly stool, a might shocking seatlooks sharp, when someone buys it I guess they get the point??I Like IT

Thanks Raff, AA, Polynesiac, Benz, foamy.

Hey Benz, this one is not for sale. Some things you gotta keep or give away. This one's a keeper.

I do have another 8 footer that's finished and up in the back yard. It's Maori style like the one that was at Whanga Rei. Someday I'll post it.

On 2005-10-15 14:32, Jungle Trader wrote:
Some things you gotta keep or give away. This one's a keeper.

If my carvings looked that good , I would keep them all.
Very cool stuff .

B

Digger, he's defenitely a keeper. This one is a bit cleaner and with tighter cuts than normal for you. Are you practicing behind our backs? Are you using different tools you havent told us about. There is Something Divverent about this guy and I really Love it. You said it was a keeper,,,can I Keep it?? Huh, Huh

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 16, 2005 3:01 PM

That last one is cool! I like it. Its funny how you make somehting and arent happy with it but post it anyways, and people love it.

ahh so mastah Ku, 2 diffint sty fo yo vuing preasure. Both jus unda 5 foot tarr. One full body.

O

Dang that full body is sweet...as a wise man once said(ok says alot) happy happy happy!

B

WOAH, Digger, Where you been for so long. I See where you have been, Sharpening your carving skills is where. Those carvings are really HOT.. You do this to us all the time, dissappear for awhile and come back with some Hot, new , off the wall carvings that you couldnt'a done the month before. Lookit you, you bad. The Ku boys are great. Pop out a few more 'fore you go away again.

Whoa Dad!
Hey you need to get something in the shot to compare the size too. I am guessing that is another whopper toppin' out at least 5 feet. How big did you go bro? The body on that buddy came out killer.!

Chongolio

Shit Vic! Your style is unmistakeable. Clean lines & torching! You mug design was one of my top picks - too bad I'm not judging! Nice to see it in Onatiki's yard, though. Dig the full body Ku.

Aaron

Hi jungle trader love your work keep it up.

beeeeeutiful work, JT!
Love that Ku - those tikis look massive.
I still am floored by your precise burning, everytime you post
I scored a few massive logs just recently...how do you move them around? (if ya don't mind sharing?)

Thanks guys!! Mele Kalikimaka to all of you!!
Polynesiac, I move them around with a dolly. Some of these 5 footers I've been cuttin in half lengthwise to lighten them up. I love carving palm, it's so soft.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 21, 2005 7:04 PM

JT,

Nice job. I like the half log Ku a lot. As said above, the burn is very clean. The whole design is very clean. I likes 'em!

-Gman

J

Jungle Trader,
Nice tikis in beautiful settings. I don't blame you for keeping that one, although I would keep the ku as well. The half log approach on him was a novel idea, and it came out really good looking.

I've heard a rumor that TC will be changed to PC. Details later.

F

Really nice stuff JT. I particularly like the bark left on that second one, gives it a nice "feel".

Aloha JT!!!!
Nice carvings my friend . I really like the KU ! Keep posting your log slayings, Aloha , Mooney

KK

Aloha Bruddah!
Absolutely wonderful kine Tikis brah! You really do a great job at the coloration (burning?) process. They all look Pono and keep up the good work!

Malama Pono!!!

AUWWWEEE! Thought I'd let you all know the inside on the Minnie's Mug controversy. Most of you didn't even know there is a scandal. When I first started the whole process from idea to finished product, it wasn't my idea in the first place. For one, Peter told me he really like the carving I did in that style. Then Mick, (another carver in Modesto) says to me that I should make a mug of this one. So I figure I'll name it after Peter and Stuart, hence Pika Kewalaka. After Stuart sees the first few mugs he says I should put "Minnie's" on the back and he would be interested in buying some. I come back months later with the "Minnie's" mug and he says he doesn't want to buy any cuz Mick wants to make a Minnie's mug and sell it at Minnie's. WTF? Is that chicken shit or what? So whatever market I thought I might have is now gone.

I wanted to add that I've had to raise the price to 35 clams, sorry but necessary.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-01-02 14:49 ]

Progress pics for you guys.
I don't know how this thing is going to turn out. I've never carved one before.

The last few images show a very difficult part of the carving. A 3-dimensional animal is much harder to carve than a tiki. I'm finding that out.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-01-03 19:33 ]

Like Pacino said in Scarface when the Pink Flamingos were taking off on TV, "Fly pelicans, fly!"

The first few pix looked like you were flippin' us the bird. I guess I was right!

Do some of you ever get "Carver's block". When you need to drop everything and try again later?
I've had some intense pain in my mouth where the gums around a tooth has decayed (periodontal disease). Maybe that had me distracted, maybe not. I had the tooth pulled out yesterday, (simple extraction) the doc called it. I can't even imagine the pain without pain killers or the numbing medicine. It hurt a lot with all that.
Distractions. Now back to the pelican. I need to take it to the pelican bling bling place, as the "Wizard of Wood" (Benzart) calls it.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-01-06 18:13 ]

J

You have a great start on the pelican. Carvers block happens to me all the time. You are right, carving animals is more difficult than tikis, the couple bears I've done have not turned out well at all.
JP

Just some fine tuning needed. Jeez this one was tough.

J

Looks like you worked that knot out just perfect for the eye. Looks good! Post when you are done with the "fine tuning"
JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-01-17 10:01 ]

Aloha JohnnyP. Here it is after much sanding. When you think you're finished sanding.....sand some more and more and more. How do you get in to sand those tight spots that a big sander can't reach, like between the neck and wings? A file?

L
Loki posted on Tue, Jan 17, 2006 8:31 AM

JT, he looks great and and like JP said the knots couldnt have been in better places. I like the bark that you left on the bottom.

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-01-17 08:31 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 492 replies