Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 375 replies

MT

I picked up my drummer gods from the post office today. They actually came in on Saturday. And, oh Lordy, are they big! Bigger than I expected - the box was huge too, and I could only fit one box into my the trunk of my big american automobile. But they are way cool!!! Here's a pic of one at my work.

UGGGH!

Mine arrived today and when I opened the box, he was broken in half across his body. I called customer service for a replacement and have been put on the back order list because they are out of stock (as mentined above). Dammit. She told me that they will be shipping out the new stock on August 28th and I should receive it about a week later. She is mailing me a $20 gift certificate for my trouble. The packaging looked ok, but I didn't even lift him out of the box before I noticed the 'problem'.

Zulu

Howdy!
I ordered 2 Tiki Drummers and only 1 of them showed up. Maybe the second one will arrive tomorrow... I hope. He came in great shape and looks even cooler with his drum light illuminating his face from below. Sinister. My certificate of authenticity for the drummer was included, but for some strange reason, there was also a certificate for some Fantasia Sheet Music Stand(At least there weren't some botties inside). I already have my drummer on display and I'm waiting for the second one. I also ordered the logos shirt and 2 of the Tiki Room shirts so I have a spare when I wear this one out!
Great stuff again. Thanks Kevin and Jody!
Your friend,
Louis

I was a little nervous while opening the boxes, but luckily everything looks pretty good.

I haven't tried plugging them in yet. Trying to find some red light bulbs first.

Hi all,
The Drummers look great!!!
I myself have had my eye on Juan, the barker bird, for some time...saving my pennies, if you will. But now I see a "CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE" posting on his page...has anyone seen this before or, are they really gone for good? WHAAAAAAAA :( ...I wanted one so much.
I did score a green host shirt, and I love it! :D Thanks for the 20% discount info, it was a great help!

[ Edited by: Akamu-Kamaka 2006-04-28 14:52 ]

Sad to hear about breakage on drummers - that sucks! My Green Tiki / Adventureland shirt came to today and was in one piece. Its a great quality shirt - the XL is big ( I thought I might need the XXL but no sir!!). The color is bright and just the way I like it.

thanks for makin it happen. If you don't have one yet you should go for it they are quality and colorful!!!

JT

Got my drummer today and it's impressive! I'm thinking about trading the drum cover with an orange lense to see what the effect will be.

J

I got my drummer today too! I was very happy to see that you can plug it in (unlike the ETR big fig which runs on batteries). This is going to be the nightlight in my daugther's "Enchanted Tiki Room" themed room.

My friends at work think I'm crazy for putting this in my kid's room because they think it will scare her. I told them they should see the tiki masks and totems that are arleady in there! (BTW, she sleeps like a log).

It's official, Juan is sold out.
I guess I'll have to search EBay, and pay twice the price!
I would love for Kevin and Jody to create a tiki toucan, please,please, Maybe for
Disney World's anniversary? There was a neat one at the
50th display, I think or somewhere??

He would be a great collectible.

Has anyone given any thought to motorizing the arms of the drummers so the move like they do in the Tiki Room?

Note; the dress is on SALE for $69.99 on disneydirect.com. Add 20% coupon for extra savings and if you buy more than $75.00 you get Free Shipping too!!! I think both the sale and coupon expire end of today May 25.

XL MEN'S shirts are sold out! Anyone want to trade their XL for my L or XXL?

The Disneyland Logo shirt is on sale too!

I got a drummer and it's amazing - much bigger and heavier than I expected. They did an incredible job with it. It's on our stereo cabinet next to the futon in our living room. We had a guest staying over last weekend and he wouldn't let me leave the drum light on because it was too spooky. :)

KC

Oh man! I've been out of the loop for a while, and I completely missed the fact that these were now for sale until today! Now I just need to wait till another coupon comes through, so I can buy the green host shirt. I've never worn the pink one I bought, even though I like it. I just couldn't bring myself to wear a $100 shirt. But if I ebay that one, and get one of the XXL green ones on a coupon, I can rationalize that the shirt cost less than $50, and is thus wearable.

I'd LOVE to have a pair of the drummers, as they are INCREDIBLE. I wish I hadn't missed that coupon that Mai Tai posted a couple months ago... This is what I get for not reading TikiCentral on a regular basis.

Chris

I'm finally returning to this thread with a photo of one of my tiki drummers mounted on the wall. Of course you can't tell that because I dropped out the background, but hey...enjoy anyways.

The Tiki drummers are always cool. I carved one a while back and am going to add it into my bar currently in the works.

I saw Kevin on the History Channel last night! He had one of the Barker Bird models behind him as he discussed the early history of Audio Animatronics.

Well, I ordered one of the green shirts in XXL last night. With the 20%, free shipping, and no tax (wish they hadn't charged tax on my las order!), it was just under $80 shipped.

I'm likely going to sell my pink/purple host shirt (also XXL) on ebay to help defray the cost, and allow me to rationalize wearing a $100 shirt. I like the original one, but somehow I just can't quite bring myself to wear it outside the house. I think the green one will be just a bit better that way.

Chris

I also sold the pink one on ebay and am now the proud owner of the green one. Two bidders from Japan and Germany were in a bidding war for the pink one!

H

On 2006-06-19 07:44, freddiefreelance wrote:
I saw Kevin on the History Channel last night! He had one of the Barker Bird models behind him as he discussed the early history of Audio Animatronics.

We watched that show, too. (Modern Marvel's Walt Disney World, right?) That wasn't Kevin, though, it was someone else. We did, however, see Chris Nichols on Food Network talking about McDonald's history last week. Wacky!

On 2006-06-21 13:59, Humuhumu wrote:

On 2006-06-19 07:44, freddiefreelance wrote:

We watched that show, too. (Modern Marvel's Walt Disney World, right?) That wasn't Kevin, though, it was someone else. We did, however, see Chris Nichols on Food Network talking about McDonald's history last week. Wacky!

Oopsy! I rewatched the show & realized that I was wrong, and then read Humu's correction. Yep, I miswatched the show while under the influence of Stone Brewing. But, I also thought the woman in the ETR Dress at DisneyShopping.com was Ms. Humu for at least 5 minutes, too, and I first met her three years ago while in line for ETR 40th Anniversary items & I've seen pictures of her on a regular basis ever since, so I should know better than believe my eyes unless I get more than 5 minutes worth of glimpse of something while channel/web surfing. :wink:

I know this is an OLD thread but I am frantically looking for help.

I found this fabulous dress that is made from the Enchanted Tiki Room fabric designed by Disneyland (as stated on tag)

What I can't figure out is whether it's the real deal sold at Disney in the mid 60's or was it part of a fabric package you bought with the label included and a person made whatever with it?

The dress is extremely well made and does not look homemade.

Any help much appreciated! I want to list on e bay but with better info to help authenticate any interested bidders!!

Thanks so much!

Christy

I guess it would help to have a picture!!! This is the original link to the thread on e bay. I am not home so no access to my pictures to link-there are several on this link:

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?messageID=2002914038&forumID=92&x#2002914038

Looks original to me. The pretty much identical remakes have another tag in them stating that it is a limited edition of 500. They were only released in April of this year, and cost $99.00 (on sale for $69.00 right now though).

The green pattern dresses were made to be sold at Disneyland as a souvenir. It's the same pattern (but a different color) as what the Enchanted Tiki Room Hosts would wear.

They are pretty rare, from what I understand. And reasonably valuable.

Good find!

Chris

Thanks Kona Chris! I thought so. The label just says fabric exclusively made for Disneyland. I would have thought if made as a souvenir dress that it would have said dress made exclusively..not fabric. That's what threw me.

I am listing it on E Bay but without facts I didn't want to get hit with a complaint!

Thanks!

I

FYI;

Earlier today I checked the Disneystore website. The giant Tiki Drummer figures have been marked down to $119. With an extra 10% off post-Xmas coupon promotion, and free shipping, I was able to order one for a total cost of $108.

Vern

As of today the Enchanted Tiki Room dress is $39.99!!!! Maybe other discounts with any coupons???

Enchanted Tiki Room DressSale: $39.99

Was: $99.00 (Item #57697M)

V

Aaaaaaaargh!

I just saw the cool dress and shirt combo! And the shirts are GONE! Waaaaaah! We are off to D-Land this April for Ms. VanTiki's B-day - perhaps I'll find a shirt tucked behind a rack somewhere....

Ordering the dress now - hope I get the right size...

The Tiki Drummers are GONE, and Disney has shut down their creative collectible
devision. Kevin and Jody were let go. Looks like this is the end of high quality collectibles.

MT

Vantiki,
The shirts have been gone for quite some time now. The purple host shirt went on sale 18 months ago, and the green version went on sale almost a year ago. Since there were only 100 shirts made in each size - 500 total in purple and 500 total in green - the popular sizes like XL were snatched up right away.

These shirts were only available online, and not at the theme parks, so I seriously don't think you'll be able to find one at Disneyland. But not to despair, they're still obtainable. Your best bet to get one of the shirts is to purchase it off of ebay, or buy one at one of the events like Mondo Lounge, Viva Las Vegas, The Hukilau, or Tiki Oasis. Or post a thread in Tiki Marketplace, saying that you want to buy one. Depending on the size you need, I might be able to help - I have an extra shirt in green in XXL, if that is your size. Feel free to PM me if you are interested. If you're getting the green dress for your wife, then I'd recommend the matching green shirt over the purple one. Good luck!

I

The tiki drummer figures have reappeared. Formerly they were available via the disneystore.com website. There is at least one that has gone up for sale on the Mouse Surplus ebay store, so there is a chance that this store may have obtained all of the remaining drummers.

The ebay price is a bit high - currently at $274, with two and a half days still left. This is a bit higher than the original sale price - disneystore was selling them for $119 less than two months ago.

Mouse Surplus also has up for sale a tiki head sign formerly used at the Polynesian resort. Unfortunately, they do no give the dimensions of the sign.

Vern

MT

Interesting. The last two Tiki Drummers that this ebayer sold went for $270 and 250, but did you notice that the one that's currently at $274 has a shipping cost of $68 as well? Ouch!!! The last two tiki head signs that they sold went for $40 and $37. I'm guessing that the tiki head sign isn't very big, because the original list price is $5.

What is the scoop on these well insighted artists? They seemed to be the backbone of some of the best merchandise that came out of Disney in YEARS... now I have heard from a Disneyland worker this past week they are no longer with the company...If its not too much to ask, I'd like to know why? I really hope it was by their own decisions to leave Disney because they want to do their own creative thing. And If they were let go by Disney, well that really sucks for Disney, because these 2 artists/sculpturers & "jacks of all trades" were on the creative ball! I've noticed alot at the park this last visit, that just didn't sit right with me based on their operations. Thats another story though... Kevin and Jody make a great tagteam and I hope they are still working together wherever they are! Also let them know they have fans in their corner, and that they(the other fans), along with myself, hope things are well with them! Godspeed-
-Slick

They are busier than ever, and ironically now that they are freelancers, they get hired by companies that Disney contracts to make collectibles. So now they not only get paid better, but work for people that actually KNOW and APPRECIATE classic Disney attractions, something that was not the case at the company itself. :roll:

Why, do you have a problem with Disney product? I cannot imagine a better realization of the Tiki concept than in this recent Roger Rabbit, why, it is Polynesian Style personified!

Roger Rabbit Tiki Pin
$12.95 (Item #96909P)
Roger Rabbit is spotlighted on this thoughtful gold-finished character pin,
one in a series casting Disney's most popular characters as Tiki carvings.
Pin 1 7/8'' H. Enamel cloisonné. Limited Edition of 250.

Hurry, folks, only a 250 piece limited edition!

No, thanks... I think I'm going to hold out for the "Bill the Cat tiki pin"...Ack!

I am new to this Tiki collectables. I just started to decorate my guest room into a Tiki room, and realized I don't have any tiki drummer. Am I like 2 years too late to want one of these?? Is anyone nice enough to sell me one with reasonable price?

On 2007-07-11 21:46, wishyouwell wrote:
I am new to this Tiki collectables. I just started to decorate my guest room into a Tiki room, and realized I don't have any tiki drummer. Am I like 2 years too late to want one of these?? Is anyone nice enough to sell me one with reasonable price?

They pop up on ebay every once in a while. But you might like to know that they have just put out a Tiki Room Box that is amazing!! It was just released last week. If you cant get to disneyland to get one, I think you can call 1-800-delivears to order one. They cost $65 and are limited to 1963 pieces. They rarely put out neat Tiki Room stuff - you should look into it.

MT

There's a drummer god up on ebay right now. Here it is.

Not my auction, just thought I'd post this here. Good luck.

On 2007-07-16 23:36, Mai Tai wrote:
There's a drummer god up on ebay right now. Here it is.

Not my auction, just thought I'd post this here. Good luck.

$511.00

Holy crap. That's some decent ROI.

Yipes....that is some heavy dough.....may the best wallet win. Wish I had the money. :)

MT

Yeah, no kidding, Kate. And if you factor in shipping, it comes out to just under $550!!! I think Sven sold one of these back in May, and it went for about half of what this one is going for. I wonder if this one is better listed, or if it's just the right buyer seeing this at the right time?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 375 replies