Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Show us your record collection!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies

K

A Chinese 10 inch...here we see a lovely scene with tropical beach goers enjoying the local animal life, namely kangaroos. As I'm typing this I've just realized that the wrong record is in the sleeve as the back of the sleeves says it's from Ring Ring Records...and the LP label says Four Seas Records. That explains things. I've often wondered why THIS would have been the selected record artwork for an LP of Christmas carols performed and sung in Chinese style.

And we end our look at 10-inchers with a couple of hot Frenxh releases both by L'Hawai-Club De Paris (featuring steel guitarist Marchel Bianchi again). Is this great cover art or what??

Awesome covers of records we never see!!!

Thanks for posting kaiwaza!!

Beautiful artwork indeed!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Kaiwaza - that's some of the best album-cover artwork ever. Of all of those, I've only seen the King's Serenade before. Thanks for posting this eye-candy.

Only found two albums today...

Is this the same Frank Hunter from "White Goddess"?

Later!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-11-08 12:48 ]

All from one estate sale over the weekend.

This guy had great taste in music and kept the vinyl in mint condition. It's a pleasure to listen to these records in such clean condition with great depth of sound.

NB

Man! What a haul! Great collection!

On 2009-11-09 06:05, nature boy wrote:
Man! What a haul! Great collection!

Ditto!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Oh Jeez, all those Santo & Johnny albums!

And I have never seen that Arthur Lyman LP that PTD found!

T

Hey Kaiwaza - many returning thanks for the incredible cover art many of us mainlanders will likely never see! Awesome stuff! (Even when my face turns the background color of TC when looking at 'em - INCLUDING the tapa pattern - with envy!)

Oh, and a while back I mentioned not getting a Korla Pandit LP from a local record shop... well, I buckled & went 'n bought it -

The Universal Language of Music Volume One from 1954

• and the signature on the all-blank back cover -

And a nice find, at much less cost than the Korla @ .75 - signed by Genoa herself -

New today...

Later,

PTD

Whoa PTD, you are fearless! "Melveen, the Hawaiian Country Girl?" "The Banjo Barons"?"You Don't Need a Mind Just Soul" !? :lol:
And I would love to hear all those Beatles covers by the Waikikis!

K

The Waikikis ruled the universe. Their Christmas album is to die for.

T

Bigbro-

I have the Waikikis LP with the Beatles covers too.

I can forward it to you for your listening pleasure if you happen to have a turntable handy.

On 2009-11-16 06:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
Whoa PTD, you are fearless! "Melveen, the Hawaiian Country Girl?" "The Banjo Barons"?"You Don't Need a Mind Just Soul" !? :lol:
And I would love to hear all those Beatles covers by the Waikikis!

bigbro,

I seem to be buying records at a pace quicker than I can listen to them. Those I happened to purchase from a guy who bought out an old place called "Records" that used to be on the K Street Mall in Sacramento. He ended up buying approximately 80,000 albums when the owner died. He came over on Friday night with the first box of approximately 80 Exotica and Hawaiian albums, the ones I posted were the ones I didn't already have. He had quite a few Lyman, Denny and Baxter records, I had all but the ones I posted and more Hawaiian. He is still in the process of going through and pulling more out as he comes across them. My favorites of the bunch were the New Orleans Jazz Band of Hawaii and the The Surfers Live and Well at Hop Louie's Latitude 20! The guy cut me a pretty good deal, so I will continue to buy from him as he comes across this stuff.

PTD

K

Moving into some "exotica" lps nows, again, I'm going to try & just stick with either lps that seems pretty rare or interesting in some other way.

It wasn't too long ago that I first saw a dvd release of the film "Mondo Cane" & became interested in all the follow-up "cash-in" films that were made after it. I saw this budget label lp (Viking) and was interested in the title "Theme From Mondo Cane & Other Horror Music" by "Ugella & Viking Pops Orchestra." I mean, I didn't consider "Mondo Cane" a HORROR film and the theme (More) is actually quite popular & beautiful. So, what the heck would this recording be...?
Well, it's an orchestral version of "More" followed by seven tracks by CHAINO. Yeah, it's definitely Chaino tracks lifted from other lps. Fascinating.

I'm not exactly sure why I enjoy this record so much. Pictured on the cover is NOT a model, but the songstress featured, Diane Adrian. Darn...I forgot to snap the back cover...I'll add it later as it has GREAT shots of her hamming it up in "native garb." It says Diane has toured the Caribbean many times and collected the material heard in this album. She sings in a combination of English, French or patois or something...with a full Western orchestra with added percussion. There's something very intriguing about listening to a semi-operatic singer "going native" with her renditions of supposedly actual voodoo chants. You go, Diane!

I imagine many of us have at least ONE copy of this LP in our collections. WE know about the Luke Leilani budget LPs..well, this is the budget label "exotica" recording of drumming & African/Haitian/Whatever voodoo vocals that was reissued under a hundred different names & titles. I do love when it was released as "Tahitian Percussion" because it CLEARLY isn't...but I find this jacket to be fetching & I honestly have seldom seen it around the thrift or record shops.
Imean, one is always stumbling across blondes in the jungle, right?

Paradise is a state of mind.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-11-18 12:34 ]

K

You know, Axel Stordahl's Lure of Paradise lp seems to get plenty attention for it's sexy cover & I think it's been reissued on CD in Japan. At any rate, I actually prefer his "Jasmine & Jade" lp and maybe Dot just didn't release as many of these or what, but I've only run across it a few times anywhere. It's definitely a bit more jazzy & aggressive sounding, but it has some great exotica tracks..."Neiani" in particular.

Frankie Carles was a very well known pop pianist back in the 1940s & 50s. My mom had MANY of his 10 inch lps. Later in his career, he did a Hawaiian lp...which I'll feature later in a line-up of "doesn't she look familiar?" , and he cashed-in on the success of Martin Denny, etc with this 1966 lp "The Tropical Style of Frankie Carle." It's very MOR (middle of the road, easy listening) but enough percussion & exotic touches to make it interesting. Seems like no one knows this lp, but I would think it fits in nicely with Ferrante & Teicher's "Pianos in Paradise." Tracks include Quiet Village, Poinciana, Off Shore, Yellow Bird...the usual suspects.

You know, as I'm writing these thoughts up, I'm wondering if Dot records just didn't release huge numbers of their lps as did Columbia, RCA, etc. Here's another Dot lp that i just don't see often. "Driftwood" by the Jimmy Namaro Trio is a very nice effort..a mix of Polynesian sounds (Tahiti Boat, Driftwood, etc) and more latinesque/Filipino sounds (Balikpapan, Lamento Marimba, Chi Chi Cha Cha Cha). Again, a nice lp that would fit in well in any tiki bar...seems prime for a CD re-issue to me.

On 2009-11-16 13:34, Kaiwaza wrote:
I imagine many of us have at least ONE copy of this LP in our collections. WE know about the Luke Leilani budget LPs..well, this is the budget label "exotica" recording of drumming & African/Haitian/Whatever voodoo vocals that was reissued under a hundred different names & titles. I do love when it was released as "Tahitian Percussion" because it CLEARLY isn't...but I find this jacket to be fetching & I honestly have seldom seen it around the thrift or record shops.
Imean, one is always stumbling across blondes in the jungle, right?

Amazing...from THE JUNGLE! And it has a Silver Seal! (The Seal of Un-Authenticity!?) You mean THIS Tahitian Percussion?:

I was wondering about the New Guinea drums...and those song titles.

K

Why yes, that exact lp. And many other ones too of exactly the same songs. On "Taboo" they are called Arbaini, Charinde, Eow-nes, Lesha-kal, etc" but all exactly the same recordings.

K

My favorite Arthur Lyman lp and a rare one, Island vibes was recorded in Hawaii in 1980. It's a completely solo album featuring only Arthur Lyman playing vibes with the sound of the ocean waves. Tracks include: The Magic islands, King's serenade, Whispering reef, Waipio, Yellow bird, and others.

A rare Martin Denny album, recorded in 1980 during his stint at the Wailea Beach Hotel on Maui island. A more scaled back approach, it's more "piano lounge" and features two "new" compositions written by Denny for the album: From Maui with love, and Raffles (the name of the hotel's restaurant).

The budget label "exotica drumming" sessions turn up again, on this Omega records release. Talk about a real mismatch in cover art & music content...but I love how they painted out her butt crack...:) Like, she has uni-butt. I also like that, while they didn't give any fake name (or any name at all) to the musicians...They did come up with lovely track names that have nothing, I'm sure, to do with the actual songs...Spirits of the night, The sea of green, Wild river, Jungle paths, Torrid drums, To the sea, etc. Nice.

K

An interesting piece of exotica out of Peru, Inti Raimy, seems to be an orchestra interpretation of ancient Inca dances & ritual...ala Elizabeth Waldo, who it very much reminds me of. If you like Ms. Waldo, you'll like these interpretations by the Cuerpo Nacional de Ballet.

I think the first track on the album, Tropical safari, stands on it's own as exotica great if only because the bird calls and monkey shrieks are so loud they nearly drown out the actual music. Jungle adventure in music & sound features the Don Randi Trio, Curtis Amy & The Exotic Strings. It definitely worth a listen, but I think a few tracks are strange using prerecorded jungle drumming & their own compositions over it & they don't rhythmically seem to match up too well.

I was surprised when I came across this album several years ago..I'd never heard of it. I know we all love Les Baxter but it is very refreshing to hear someone other than Les Baxter or Martin Denny playing Baxter's exotica compositions. Don Tiare has a different approach, completely exotic and small comboish, but they just sound DIFFERENT interpreted by someone else. Don Tiare also recorded several traditional steel guitar type records & a few very lush beautiful string orchestra albums of Hawaiian & Tahitian songs. Several originals were composed for this album as well. Tracks include : Quiet village, Bangkok cockfight, Sampan landing, Crickets of Karachi, Girl behind the bamboo curtain, River of dreams, Cockatoo, Sunrise at Kowloon, Jacaranda, Jungle trail, Corazon, & Qui bir hackeim.

K

She looks familiar...although somewhat drag queenish on the left lp cover...

I was REALLY excited when I found this one in a box among a hundred boxes of records at our local public radio used record sale several years ago...I was flipping thru lps like a madman because I only had an hour before work and caught a glimpse of it and let out a "yelp" and flipped back and grabbed it. The lady across looked at me strangely and I explained how RARE this lp was & it's the first time I've ever SEEN it in person & , "hell yeah, for $2..I EXCITED!!" Monta Moya & The Surfers for all the world sound like Cal Jader. Tracks include: Black orchid, Masa coti, Mose's mambo, etc.
I love the liner notes: Pecussionata is a sound painting representing some of the most beautiful & exotic regions on this earth, portrayed in sound is the native art of living gracefully, simply, & happily for all those who visit or remain at a tropical paradise. The ebb & flow of the sea, tradewind breezes thru palm trees & the rainbow coloring of flowers are expressed in these songs. The rhythms are woven into a fascinating, percussive & provacative musical safari into the mysteries of this exotic culture." Man..it makes me feel so SPECIAL...:)

K

One of the mothers of all "she looks familiar", I'm sure most of America had at least one record purchased at a dept. store or grocery with this woman's picture on it....

And, btw, both the Lovely Hawaii & Hawaiian paradise albums are all instrumental lps recorded by The Polynesians featuring many original compositions and are VERY nice, pretty background luau music....steel guitar, vibes, guitar, ukulele..nice stuff.

On 2009-11-17 15:33, Kaiwaza wrote:
I love the liner notes: Pecussionata is a sound painting representing some of the most beautiful & exotic regions on this earth, portrayed in sound is the native art of living gracefully, simply, & happily for all those who visit or remain at a tropical paradise. The ebb & flow of the sea, tradewind breezes thru palm trees & the rainbow coloring of flowers are expressed in these songs. The rhythms are woven into a fascinating, percussive & provacative musical safari into the mysteries of this exotic culture."

Pretty much the complete vocabulary of the Exotica dictionary, all in one paragraph :) ...except maybe for "primitive" and "savage"...but the music is probably too mellow for that.

T

On 2009-11-17 15:39, Kaiwaza wrote:
One of the mothers of all "she looks familiar", I'm sure most of America had at least one record purchased at a dept. store or grocery with this woman's picture on it....

Kaiwaza - any chance at all there's a name attributed to the lady on these covers?!

K

No, I've never seen her credited or seen her elsewhere with a name attached.

K

Bacchanal! The passions & pageantry of gods & goddesses of mythology by Frank DeVol & his orchestra is an orchestral fantasy featuring such tracks as Neptune, Mercury, Helen of Troy, Morpheus, Bacchus...16 tracks in all. Style-wise, if you have a stack-able turntable (which is on my Christmas list), this would play well with Dominic Frontiere's Pagan festival.

Here's a gem. Werner Muller's hip & groovy orchestra has recorded several great albums...Hawaiian swing many of us are familiar with and it's a killer. Also of interest, his Cherry blossom time in Japan lp and THIS treasure East of India. Something inbetween "The Brady Bunch has an Oriental holiday" and "The Jet Set does Bali" it's a festival of traditional tunes jazzed up & original tone poems. Tracks include: On The Kyushu Island, Ritual dance, Sampans on the river, Bazaar melody, etc.

A lovely exotic album, Armenian descent American Anita Darian, it is claimed on the liner notes, has a greater vocal range than Yma Sumac. Of note also is that the orchestra is directed by Frank Hunter, of White goddess fame. Selections include: Poor butterfly, Misirlou, Come on-a my house (in Armenian), On a little street in Singapore, etc.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-11-18 12:51 ]

K

I've never thought of this lp as particularly rare, but as I was flipping through lps yesterday, I did realize that I never really see it anywhere. It's Arthur Lyman interpreting strictly Latin songs on Everest records.

I love this 1960 album by Tito Puente. The music is beyond wild, throbbing, dissonant...like the liner notes say "an exciting display of tropical melody which echoes the primitive pulsations of the jungle...If your taste runs toward the torrid & tropical, then Tambo should suit you to a t." It certainly does. This album has been reissued on cd, but without the great & unusual cover art..a rare example of a man being featured, rather than the female.

Typical Baxter-esque music for the film. Not my favorite, but it's a rarity.

K

Here's an Italian release by L'orchestra hawaiiana di Kaumakani. Well, not really. It's all Arthur Lyman selections released under a pseudonym. I guess they weren't able to release this music under his actual name, or perhaps it's just bootlegged..?...probably not.

The Gene Rains Group was "discovered" by Alfred Apaka and he arranged for their subsequent gigs at the Hilton Hawaiian Hotel's Shell Bar. Obviously, a Martin Denny copycat group, they had great success and recorded several records mostly on Decca. This album Rains in the tropics seems the most difficult to find these days. Tracks include: Shangri-la, Jasmine & jade, Tiki, Off shore, Lonely winter, etc. Very beautiful, both the music & the cover art.

The rites of Diablo on Forum by Johnny Richards is a hot little album. A kind of crazy jazz, bongo salute to the Bantu of South Africa. (As if they had any clue, but it sounded good). The suite has 6 movements: Omo ado (Son of a libertine), Kele kele (The smooth one), La pecadora (The shrew), Ochun (Goddess Afrodita Yoruba), Oluo anu (Return of the dead), Ofo (Dance of the dead)...you get the picture.

Finally today, a sweet little find from the UK, Strange enchantment featuring husband & wife vocalists David & Marianne Dalmour. This 1966 album has really grown on me and I've come to really enjoy their moody harmonics. From the liner notes: "Marianne Dalmour is strikingly beautiful. Although, like her husband, she comes from the north of England, she looks like an Inca princess when she is singing." Selections include the title song plus It happened in Kaloha, Blue Bahamas, Moon over Miami, Kalua lullaby, Red sails in the sunset, etc. This would be a welcomed cd reissue, I'd think.

The lovely Dalmours

Hi everyone!

Nice thread here. I see many of my favorites!

My own expansive collection recently got featured on this snazzy record collector photoblog.

http://www.dustandgrooves.com/2009/10/matt-mikas-williamsburg-brooklyn-ny.html

Enjoy!

K

That's an awesome collection...and I so relate to the idea that sometimes I think I'm contributing to the preservaqtion of recorded history and other times I think I'm just crazy. Wish I had the SPACE! God forbid if I ever get a HOUSE.

K

And yet, another rendition of "She looks familiar...."

These six lps all feature the same woman in the same sarong. Three of the photos appear to be shot in the same location, but certainly the Frankie Carle lp is somewhere else. I'd love to know the story here. I understand the budget labels all using & sharing the same set up...but RCA Victor & Liberty? Interesting.

K

This is the first time I came across this lady. My grandfather had this lp, Hawaii calling by The Polynesians, with guest vocalist Marie Terangi, Crown CST 223. As a kid, I had assumed she was Marie Terangi, since I knew the guys were The Polynesians. Years later, after seeing pictures of the actual Marie Terangi, I KNEW this could NOT have been her...so, she became yet another nameless Polynesian model.

Here she is again, with friends, on Hawaiian holiday by Kane Nui & His Island Boys, Modern ST 818 (actually recordings of The Polynesians under a fake name).

She appears again, this time on Frankie Carle's interesting lp Honolulu Honky Tonk,RCA Victor LSP 2540, c1962, with yet a different model, in a different setting, but with that same red sarong...her make up & hair are identical in ALL the shots which makes me think they must have all been taken on the same day.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-11-25 13:31 ]

K

She reappears with her friends on Crown CLP 5198, Hawaiian paradise with George Liberace & his orchestra...quite a good record, btw. I love the models very effected poses in this shot...I mean...what is supposed to be going on? And, btw, in case you DIDN'T know, this is the famous pianist Liberace's BROTHER, who was semi well-known before his candelabra-loving brother came along.

Here she is solo again on Tradewinds to Hawaii by Lani Lehua & The Surfers, Modern MST 820. (Again, a composite of Polynesian & "Luke Leilani" recordings)

And the LAST time I've discovered her is on the cover of Felix Slatkin's Paradise found on Liberty Premier series LSS 14001.

I've never learned her name or seen her anywhere other than lp covers..not in post cards, etc, which is somewhat unusual. She certainly is beautiful and I'd love to discover some more lps work of hers out there if there's any left to be found..:)

Hmm...that waterfall could be the one at the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena. I've seen Scopitones that were shot there.
And that beach: Those palm trees don't look real, and the view where they hit the ground is mysteriously blocked by your fave model. :)

K

Yes, I'm pretty sure none of these were actually shot in Hawaii...I just personally don't know the location. But I think The polynesians lps from my previous "she looks familiar post" were maybe shot in the same garden area. I'm sure they knew they were going to record a dozen Polynesians LPs and a bunch of other covers & just shot these women with the artists and other posed shots. I'd love to see the full set...they ones they DIDN'T use, etc. I also think that's why none of THESE particular women end up in any Hawaii post cards...cause they weren't IN Hawaii..lol.

K

On to the South Pacific, with a few highlights.....

Aloha Samoa by The Samoan Surfriders with Bill Sevesi & his islanders (Viking VP 54, New Zealand) should win some award for over-the-top record cover design....a painted-in palm tree, a blue grass skirt, and a veritable flower garden on her body.

Dance to the tamoure Tahiti by Ensemble Tahitien Tauhiti (Viking VP319, New Zealand) presents an inviting scene.

Tahitian swing 1936-1938 by Augie Goupil & his Tahitians (Harlequin HQ 2073, c1989, England) collects some jazzy, yet still very Tahitian numbers. I haven't seen this lp around too much.

K

It isn't the music that attracts me to this album.....it's the plastic fern, and bountiful basket filled with plastic fruits. I can't tell, but I'm sure the flower lei is plastic as well. Tahitian Paradise by Mutiny on The Bounty Drummers and Eddie Lund & His Tahitians on ABC-Paramount ABC-444 features standard Tahitian fare plus a nice number called Oriori cha cha cha or Come cha cha cha with me.

Another album sporting a great jacket... as you might notice from the sticker, formerly in the collection of the Hawaii State Library system...which has pretty much liquidated most of their phonograph record holdings. Presented by Eddie Lund, the liner notes say "[he], in this album, has given the world it's first discs of authentic Tahitian music as recorded in the islands themselves....Many performers had never before seen a microphone." Seems unlikely.

I consider this album a gem. I mean, realistically, how many records of Wallis & Futuna Islands music are OUT THERE anyway? It's not bad either...maybe something between Tahitian and the more melodic Hawaiian songs. Titles include Welcome to Uvea, Song of the flowers, I'm in the mood for you, Lonsome Wallisian, Leap your lament, and a few Hawaiian songs whose popularity apparently spread far. Viking VP 304, c1963, New Zealand.

K

This one is actually a bit of a mess of a record cover, however Johnny Sablan's Guam U.S.A. contains a few GREAT treasures. Unlike most of his albums, this one features a very mainland sounding combo and vocal chorus and aside from the title track, Guam U.S.A. contains an AWESOME track called "A Place In Micronesia." It's a total lounge group vocal bosa nova cheese..."There's a place for you & me in Micronesia...where the weather's sunny & food is yummy, etc etc." Someone in the tiki world NEEDS to cover this song. Other tacks include Legends of Guam, On the island of Guam, Do you remember Guam?, Chamorro festive songs, etc. (Hafa Adai RecordsHALP-3311, p1974.)

Real flowers & real fruit in this welcome change from the usual femme fatale. Tropical Fiji by Suva Fijian Drama Group, Salemstereo XPX 5070 p1971, New Zealand.

For your listening & relaxing pleasure, The Reef Lodge Trio offers such varied selections as Steel guitar rag, Hawaiian wedding song, I sailed away to Fiji Islands, Isa buna, Wildwood twist & Deep in the heart of Texas..all in a lilting Polynesian style. Holiday in Fiji: Moments to remember was recorded live at the Reef Lodge in Korotogo, Fiji with a written warning on the back cover that it is NOT for distribution in Fiji. I guess they wouldn't want the workers to get TOO relaxed. Mai tai anyone? Viking VP184, New Zealand)

K

It seems that this is a sought-after recording. And WHY, I ask? This album of Australian aboriginal "music" (and I use the term very loosely) is good for about 5 minutes at a time. There are women's chants, men's chant, chants about ground wasps, a mouth-organ, Duralko aka the Home Of the dead, and Santa Claus and aluminum foil crafts for all I can tell. When you've heard one, you've heard them all. I hear there's an "all-aboriginal, all-the-time" radio station...I suspect they just play this record over & over & no one knows the difference. Well, just kidding. sorta. Corroboree! Hi fi dances, chants & songs by native Australian aboriginals, Capitol, Capitol of the World series, T10037.

A few years ago, I came across a stash of a dozen or so Tahitian albums at Salvation army, all 1970s...these are pictures of a few of them.

Love the necklace action on this one...

A while back, I posted a number of the colorful 49th State Hawaii Record Company covers. Most of their output was, naturally, Hawaiian, but they delved into the Far Eastern Cha Cha market with several Japanese releases and THIS rarity Singapore by the Malayan Select Orchestra. My good Singaporean friend wretches violently when exposed to the music on this record. He says this is exactly what seedy old men listen to in the old bars back home. Sounds good to me.
I would subtitle this album "Wanna buy me drinkie?"

New today...

Later,

PTD

Three more today...

PTD

K

Another edition of "She looks familiar"...actually, THEY look familiar. Here are four LPs featuring the same set of models, featuring the lady in front, Georgietta Kahalelaukoa Parker, Miss Hawaii of 1958.

Hawaiian paradise by Leo Addeo, his orchestra & chorus, RCA Camden CAS 853, c1965;

Hawaiian holiday by Hal Aloma & his Hawaiians, Columbia CL 538, [no date]. (A great LP by the way..swinging renditions of Wai o Minnehaha, Liliu e, Little grass shack and Hawaiian war chant!)

Aloha! Great instrumental favorites of Hawaii by Sam Koki & The Paradise Islanders with The Waikiki Strings, Kapp KS-3233 [no date]. (I prefer Sam's other recordings & those he made under the William Kealoha pseudonym, but his steel playing is still smooth & beautiful here, just decidedly more "easy listening" playing the standards)

And here's Garbriella solo on Songs of the South Seas by various artists, Audition AUD 33-5930, [no date]. No doubt, taken in the same location & same time.

K

Here are a couple of 7 in. LPs...not too many of those floating around these days...

Sudliche klange, a German release featuring Valentinos Hawaiian Band and others. An interesting mix of Polynesian & Latin songs kind of clumped together in medleys as if no one realized they weren't the same place...Hawaiian-waltzer, Nanni hat heimweh, Tampico, Auf Jamaica, Baiao bongos, etc. Nice cover art.

I'm a bit of a fan of Harry Hougassian & have several of his LPs. This 7 inch release out of France features the titles Mello yellow, Hello Mister Brown, Est-ce que tu m'aimeras, & Aora Bounty Club....how can you not love that?

Ok, this is obviously a kiddie record, but can I tell you how much I LOVE this concept?? This is Around the world in sound: Hawaii by Mookleani & Group (Love the name). What they did is take 4 of the "Luke Leilani" tracks (Aloha, Hawaiian War Chant, Harbor Lights, & Drowsy Waters) and recorded some small male vocal group singing new vocals OVER the tracks. Drowsy Waters became "Sandy Beaches & Coconuts" and I LOVE it. Their rendition of Hawaiian War Chant became the guys (and I'm totally being literal here) singing "Wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki whack, wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki whack, whick whick whick, whack, whack, whack, wiki-waki wiki-waki woo." It's a thing of unspeakable beauty

On 2009-11-29 00:31, Kaiwaza wrote:
It isn't the music that attracts me to this album.....it's the plastic fern, and bountiful basket filled with plastic fruits. I can't tell, but I'm sure the flower lei is plastic as well. Tahitian Paradise by Mutiny on The Bounty Drummers and Eddie Lund & His Tahitians on ABC-Paramount ABC-444 features standard Tahitian fare plus a nice number called Oriori cha cha cha or Come cha cha cha with me.

Another reason you might be attracted to this cover. The cover girl is Sandy Warner - the Exotica Girl herself.

Keep up the great posts Kaiwaza. The artwork on those imports are stunning!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

K

I wasn't quite sure whether to post this under "restaurant records" or even "euro-exotica", so I figured I'd just keep it with the rest of my "show us your collection" stuff. I picked this up just his past week...an interesting piece.

This is Michel Louvain, apparently a French-Canadian lounge singer performing Hawaiian "standards" in French with full orchestra. Many of the arrangements are direct rip-offs of arrangements from Andy Williams hit LP "Hawaiian Wedding Song" and several feature twin saxophones much in the style of Billy Vaughn's huge "Blue Hawaii" LP. Titles include (in French, of course).."Moon of Manakoora","Drifting & Dreaming","Beyond The Reef","Ebb Tide", etc.

According to the liner notes, the cover photo was taken at Kon-Tiki in Montreal, although I don't know if Mr. Louvain ever sang there, but I would think it was likely..?

Wow, this thread dropped way down the list! Today's finds...

Later,

PTD

Some nice classics and some lesser known jewels, many look like in excellent condition....does that shrink wrap mean they are almost mint?

On 2010-02-07 21:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
Some nice classics and some lesser known jewels, many look like in excellent condition....does that shrink wrap mean they are almost mint?

Purt near, the bonus was the small 45 with the "Ports of Paradise" LP, which I did not know existed.

PTD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies