Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Show us your record collection!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies

S

And, this is where I put some of my albums. Hanging in my basement bar, The Fuzzy Smudge.

On 2015-03-09 08:09, jazzlystrung wrote:

On 2015-03-01 17:18, shop99er wrote:
Today

I have the stereo version of this and have gone absolutely nuts over the cover girl who I have started collecting on Record covers and postcards, I would love to know something about her. Can anyone offer an insight ?

I did wonder if it was Beverly Kathleen Rivera,Miss Hawaii 1952.??

S

Kinda looks like her, but I can't find anything that says one way or the other.

Believing that the Lady from the Vinyl and Postcard art collected are indeed one in the same, I have noticed Photographic moniker of Billy Howell and have tried to find out about the Photographer, who I have gleaned was a Honolulu based Photographer thru the 1950s and have researched this gentleman and his work, albeit to little avail, related solely to this woman, whoever she may be.
Still at the very beginnings of a project and hoping that someone may remember something or the lady herself may step forward is indeed very exciting.
Cheers!

K

I kind of doubt it's Rivera, because as Miss Hawaii, she most likely would have been IN Hawaii, and this picture was taken in a studio on the mainland I believe, on the same set as some other budget LPs. Also, I've never seen this woman in any post cards from Hawaii, which is also generally a sign that she's not IN Hawaii. Probably a series of photos sold for whatever purpose.

One credits George Pickow of Three Lions as photographer. Another credits the "color transparency" to Three Lions. The others say nothing.
Same set, different model.

And here's one of her in the same session. THis one, a Santo & Johnny release from Germany, on Ariola, I believe a German budget label.

Perhaps it's possible she was one of the dancers at the Hawaiian Room at New York's Lexington Hotel as some of thiose women showed up on LP covers shot on the mainland, but I don't think she is.

S

Wow. That's quite a bit learned in a short time! Hope you guy get it figured out.

Here's today's work.

I must hear this!

Have put these pics in Home Tiki Bars before but as the room is now gone ....

K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=100&v=gmnW2b6WH_s

I've been doing a video series on my Hawaiian record collection some of you might enjoy. I'll be done with the series around sometime in 2037..lol.

Scooped these up in New Orleans this past weekend for under $5 a piece.

The bottom right "Hawaii" one is from the Surfmen. I didn't realize they had another album besides Exotic Island. And the "Polynesia" one top right is by the Polynesians and is the same album as "Polynesian Paradise" by Chango and the Polynesians with a different, more suitable cover, plus it's on red vinyl.

I was planning to rip some of my Hawaiian and exotica records that I can't find on slsk to MP3 but just realized my new computer doesn't have any sort of mic input, which makes absolutely no sense to me. I used to just use the preamp of my receiver and run a 1/8" line from there into the computer and record to Audacity. shop99er and Ghostsoldier, you guys mentioned you were ripping your records. Any way you can set up your MP3s for sharing? I'd love to add some more music to my playlist.

S

mikehooker--We can see what can be done.

Today's recording:

S

Recorded these today.

Today:

S

Only one today.

Is this one familiar here? It looks to be an average hotel vanity LP..souvenier worthy is all...

but check the SONG LIST

it comes off as a weird melange of lounge and HI with a ton of steel guitar apeing the melodies--all 4 a buck!

K

I have that "Famous Beach Hotel" LP, which was recorded in England. It's a curious LP and I believe it's a Brittish studio "Hawaiian" LP (easy listening pop style) recorded to simply come off as some sort of "live band" thing. Because it's all just too generic..I mean, the name of the group is "The Hawaiians"..coming from the famous "Beach Hotel"? Which beach hotel?? I like their version of "Whells" in particular.

S

bb Moondog:

If you decide you don't want it. I'd love to have it.

Today's efforts:

Not converted. I only need so many renditions of Aloha Oe.

BM

Nope its a KEEPER..I will be posting some of those German HI lps on ebay soon though..they are TOO ersatz even for this kind of music

On 2015-05-02 07:43, bb moondog wrote:
Nope its a KEEPER..I will be posting some of those German HI lps on ebay soon though..they are TOO ersatz even for this kind of music
heres my cast offs--the Gene Rains one was areal FIND but I have it digitally already

http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbay&gbh=1&CurrentPage=MyeBayAllSelling&ssPageName=STRK:ME:LNLK:MESX

this pile of about 10 HI lps ..absolutely FREE from a thrift that just gave up on selling lps
MORE FOR ME

K

Here are some recent finds. A few are from ebay and a few were from a recent daytrip over to Kailua town to shop in some of the antique stores. I really haven't been posting new finds here and it dawns on me I really SHOULD as I enjoy seeing every one elses!

Japanese record. Fascinatin' Hawaiian music by S. Oppachi & His Sounds.

2 LP Japanese gatefold, Hawaiian mood music collection by Grand Fantastic Strings

Micronesia: A musical glimpse, uncredited native artists from Thee Marshalls, Truk, Ponape, Palau, Yap, The Marianas, THe Gilberts.

Always happy to find volumes of Souvenir Songs of Hawaii by 49th State Hawaii records that has songs I didn't have already. These are vols. 17 & 18 and contain my NEW old favorite song "Take a dreamboat to paradise" by June Ululani Leite.

Japanese record. Honeymoon in Hawaii by The Hilo Island Kings.

Sounds like Hawaii by The Changs.

Groovy lounge stuff. Kit Samson's Sound Advice at The Maile Lounge, Kahala Hilton

Tahitian instrumental group, with Hawaiian steel guitar. Nice stuff. Takiti Ma, vol. 5 by Takiti Ma

Live from The Kahiki by The Beachcomber Trio. 2010 release of recordings made in 1965. Martin Denny-esque.

Japanese record. Hula nova by Tatsuo Okhashu.

Polynesian romp, vol. 1 by Bill Sevesi & His Islanders. There must be a volume 2 out there somewhere, right??

Pearly shells by The Mokambo Combo at a resort in Fiji.

This was a curious album I'd never heard of or seen before, picked up cheap at a local surf/Hawaiiana shop. Instrumental organ with drumming, essentially, out of Quebec.

Listen to these and more at my hobby online station "Hawaiian Hi-Fi"
http://www.live365.com/stations/kaiwaza

K

Recent finds:
I've had the CD of this for years, but I've been waiting to get the vinyl at a good price & I finally did. "Jungle Exotica", strip tease type singles by various artists. Of course, the cover art is amazing.

Yet more Hawaiian vinyl from Japan. A double LP gatefold by the instrumental group, The Hawaiian Echoes "Hawaiian Best Collection" from 1975.

So, I've been buying SO MANY Japanese Hawaiian records lately...someone in Japan is unloading a lot of them on ebay and I've been bidding & winning quite a few of them. Needless to say, shipping from Japan is rather high. I have even more in the mail on the way. I decided I needed to go on a "vinyl ban" and break out the ramen noodles for the next month. Like an idiot, I went to a local record shop, Jelly's, thinking I would just check out the $1.00 record bin only for some lounge music. I did find a few things & then made the mistake of saying "Well, it would silly not to at least look at the Hawaii/Pacific section. Of course, there were TONS of these very exotic Tahitian records there that WEREN'T there before. Some beautiful, very good condition 1950s ones, and several of the glossy, gorgeous Barclay & Manuiti record label LPs...everything was reasonably priced between $4-$7 each. And I HAD to get everything I didn't already have. I mean, chances are slim to none I'd ever find these again & in such great condition. The clerk was like, "Yeah, it's kind of crazy we got all these in as we seldom see Tahitian stuff coming through." So, I got a dozen. Is there anything even CHEAPER than ramen noodles??? I just couldn't pass them up.

And there was even the elusive Eddie Lund Tahitian Christmas LP for $4.00.

K

Someone in Japan was listing a bunch of Hawaiian LPs recorded in Japan, and I couldn't resist. Plus, an interesting German release.
"Go With Me To Hawaii" by The Samoa Serenaders, Cornet, no date. Love the cover on this one.

I was really happy to score yet another "Takiti Ma: Intrumental Ukulele, Guitar & Co." record. I had gotten one many years ago and never really saw one again until recently, when I've managed to get two recently. This one is Volume 4, and like the others, it's nice Hawaiian style instrumental renditions of Tahitian songs.
"Takiti Ma: Instrumental Ukulele, Guitar, & Company, Volume 4" Manuiti records, no date.

"Hawaiian Best Album" by Ginji Yamaguchi, steel guitar. Polydor, no date.

"Hawaii, Hawaii, Hawaii" by Hiroshi Wada (steel guitar) & The Royal Hawaiian Boys. Toshiba records, no date.

"Buckie Shirakata Hawaiian Dance Party" by Buckie Shirakata & His Aloha Hawaiians. Teichiku records, Social Dance Series, no date.

I don't think I've ever heard of the instrument "electone" before. Sounds rather like a cross between a piano & an organ. Yet, this is the second "electone" Hawaiian LP I've come across recently. Perhaps it went through a brief period of popularity. I seem to recall seeing a Jackie Gleason LP that may have featured it also.
"Hawaiian Best Album By Electone" by Yuri Tashiro & Hawiian Group. Crown, 1974.

This is a really curious LP. These are standard orchestral Hawaiian selections, but they are layered with various sound effects & a female narration describing various excursions, sights, including shopping, airport arrival, moonlight beach walks, etc. Put out by Japan Air Lines (JAL).
"Blue Hawaii/South Pacific: JAL Travel Sound Series" by Mr. Y.K. & The Blue Strings. POlydor records, 1981.

"Hawaiian Golden Hits" by Ethel Nakada. Toshiba records, no date. Noted singer of Hawaiian tunes from Japan.

I like the cover on this this. First time I think I've run across coolats on a Hawaiian record.
"Hawaiian Symphonic Mood" by The Polydor Symphonic Orchestra. Polydor records, no date.

If you're interested in this type of music, you enjoy listening to my hobby online station "Hawaiian Hi-Fi", which is free to listen to 24/7.

A few of my recent finds. Guess which one I bought jut for the jacket!

p.s. I think that Perez Prado's Voodoo Suite may have been bought from new member Adam Aku Aku at Tiki Kon and he threw in the Drumbs around the World lp just because he thought it was under appreciated. thanks!

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2015-08-25 20:06 ]

K

A few more recent vinyl pick-ups:

Really bizarre German LP consisting of six medleys of Euro-Polynesian ditties. It's a 1972 LP, and honestly it sounds kind of like The Ray Conniff Singers on an acid trip...there's hand clapping, fuzz guitar, moog synthesizer...kind of a "wall of Hawaiianish sound."

From Japan, a strange LP again. Not sure what they concept is here for "Home Songs 16: Hawaiian Songs" by The Tokyo pop Orchestra and Crystal Vocal College.Side One is Hawaiian, side two has seemingly random songs on it ending with The Battle Hymn Of The Republic..seriously. There's a killer version of "Hawaiian War Chant" sung in Japanese, and an odd song with drumming called "A Song Of Samoa Island."

Another LP from the prolific Swedish steel guitar player and "singer" Yngve Stoor. I really wish had wouldn't have sung on his records as the steel playing is nice, but the singing...ugh. Oddly, this one has no tittle of the front, but on the back it's called "Snackans Sang", which as far as I can figure out from online translating, is probably something like "Seashell Song."

A pop/cultural icon on Guam, Johnny Sablan, and his LP "My Chamorrans." Chamorrans are the indigenous people of Gum, as opposed to Guamanians, which is the general population regardless of ethnicity. The LPs in OK condition, the jackets kind of trashed, but his records are WAY expensive when they are listed online, so I grabbed this thrift store cheapo copy.

This is an old 10-inch LP from Japan and what a GREAT find this was! It's called "Hawaiian Christmas Carols" by Ginji Yamaguchi & His Luana Hawaiians. This is an excellent instrumental album containing Christmas songs on Hawaiian guitar, ukulele, church bells, etc. There's GREAT bongo drum action as well as several songs are presented as cha chas & upbeat numbers..."Jingle Bells","I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus","Rudolph" and "Mele Kalikimaka"..even"Auld Lang Syne." This is a TREAT and I can't wait to spin this one during the holidays on "Hawaiian Hi-Fi" radio!

Lastly, an LP that has had an emotional impact on me as a collector and really "made my year." One of the very first Hawaiians records I ever had was by The Waikikis, a instrumental group out of Belgium that had an international hit with the song "Hawaii Tattoo" in 1964. I had two Waikikis LP as a kid ("Hawaii Tattoo" and "Hawaii Beach Party") and honestly I wore them out. I've since replaced them and gotten most everything they put out in LP form, over a dozen records, and for me they always epitomized the sound of what I imagined it would be like living in "gleaming city in the Pacific, Honolulu."
When I saw THIS LP listed on German ebay "Traumklange von Hawaii" or "Dream Sounds Of Hawaii" by the Honolulu Paradise Band, I just assumed it was a budget label reissue of stuff I already had plenty of. But when I looked at the song titles and that the soloist was Jo Van Wetter, my heart raced. Jo Van Wetter wrote many of the original songs on The Waikikis LPs, but I never realized he/she was their steel guitarist. I thought.."Holy smokes, is it possible that this is some kind of spin-off project that "sounds like" the Waikikis? Could it be? like, a "lost Waikikis" album, kind of??" I had to order it and I was amazed and kind of overwhelmed when I put it on the turntble and, sure enough, they created an album with the EXACT Waikikis-style sound and arrangements, with mostly new original compositions like "Telphone From Hawaii","Blowing Kisses On The Beach" and "Hula Girl Parade"...tres-Waikikis. I felt like a little kid at Christmas, or an explorer who comes across a lost treasure. I've been playing this record on an endless loop the past few days! So happy to have found this.

Got some more things coming in the mail shortly, and will put up a few selections from the new records onto the radio station playlist, too.

S

Recording the one below right now. Quite nice.

Found it in an antique shop that's closing next week. whew

edits were to add more images

[ Edited by: shop99er 2015-08-29 18:48 ]

K

That Sandy Warner chick certainly got around, didn't she?

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2015-09-04 13:07 ]

K

Recent finds

Believe it or not, I'd never picked this LP up before...because it was always super expensive whenever I found it, plus I kept hearing that no one seems to like it..too rock, not enough exotica. I was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely "later Les Baxter" style, more mod, etc..but Yma Sumac warbling over everything is awesome. I totally enjoyed this LP..it's like a bizarre rock-opera.

A cool souvenir album from King's Alley Shopping Center, soon to be town down also, I understand. Eddie Kekaula used to perform there and was part of their well-known "changing of the Guard" presentation.

These ladies were still singing at the Outrigger Hotel when I was working there a few years ago.

Released in1978, and looking very 1970's indeed is the LP from the Society Of Seven, "Fashionably Yours." They were still performing regularly at the Outrigger Hotel, but now only perform on special occasions. They were the longest running show in Waikiki, with occasional membership changes, obviously.

From the UK, "Hawaii" by The South Sea Serenaders features Billy Bell on steel guitar (as do MANY Hawaiian records out of the UK of various studio groups). Nice easy listening orchestral Hawaiian tidbits for maitai sipping.

If you like these kinds of records, stop by my online hobby radio station "Hawaiian Hi-Fi" on live365.com that plays vinyl selections 24/7, free of charge.

K

New finds:
Steel guitar in Hawaiian by Yoji Yamashita and Five Sounds. A 10-inch lp from Japan.

Hawaiian starlight by Jack Sound '79. This Japanese instrumental lp has some great arrangements on it.

Songs of the islands by the Jack David Band and the Kenny Sisters. A European lp with a mix of Indonesian and Hawaiian songs all in Hawaiian style.

A Dutch lp, Tropical breeze by Papaya.

Aloha by the Blue Wahinis [Wahines]. A European budget label lp, these songs were re-issued over and over again under different ficticious group names. I think it might be Frank Baum or George De Fretes, but I really don't know. Think of these lps as the "Luke Leilanis" of Europe.

Golden Hawaiian album by Leo Addeo and his orchestra. Interesting in that as a Japanese release, it has several songs by Leo Addeo that were NOT on his American Hawaiian records, namely the Japan favorites On a little bamboo bridge, Kaimana Hila, and Malihini mele.

Yakety sax in Hawaii by Boots Randolph, saxophone. Personally, the most interesting of the batch. This is a Japan release of a Monument label (U.S. based). I had no idea Boots Randolph EVER did a Hawaiian album and have never seen it anywhere. THe Ebay listing I won was the first time I'd ever heard of this lp and it is, indeed, performed in that Yakety sax style. I wonder if it was ever even released in the U.S.

If you like this type of music, check out my free online Hawaiian vinyl radio station operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week "Hawaiian hi-fi" on Live365.com

K

2-LP set out of France, by Harry Kalapana...a pseudonym for Harry Hougassian, steel guitarist.

"Rocking" out with Japan's Blue Hawaiians.

This French LP was a bit of a disappointment, in that the tunes weren't Hawaiian or Tahitian at all. However, they are all bachelor pad marimba latin numbers. "Tahitian Surprise Party in Pampelonne". Great cover.

A few more in the mail on their way.....

K

Double LP set of choral group performances, some Hawaiian selections. Pasadena Chorus, Western Continentals, Cracker Jills, Salt Falts, The Confederates. "He Mele Hawaii" Pasadena Civic Auditorium, March 1966.

Nobuo Hara & His Sharps & Flats (Big band arrangements): Hawaiian Standard, 1961

Japanese 10-inch LP: Hawaiian Holiday by The Mahina All-Stars and steel guitarist Hiroshi Wada. Some really unusual arrangements on this one.

"Hawaiian Hi-Fi" Online Radio

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2015-10-24 21:01 ]

S

i added these gems to my collection recently - love when i find fairly rare exotica and surf at thrift stores / antique malls

K

Wow, that's a nice clean copy of Mganga! Mine is very ratty. It's quite an interesting LP.

S

Had to fix my turntable.

Just this one today

S

And I know this last one isn't "tiki", but it is Lez Baxter, and it's pretty nice.

S

I know, but it's Sandy Warner.

K

I haven't really been posting most of my recent additions, as there doesn't seem to be much interest, but I came across this at a Friends Of The Library Sale here recently and REALY love the cover art. I thought I had all of Rene Paulo's LPs, but this was apparently a later one, as it's a compilation of previously released stuff (although it doesn't say that), but I just think the pic and the font is all pretty cool. Rene Paulo is a man, btw, and is a pianist.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2016-02-08 13:15 ]

T

Kaiwaza, I always check to see what people have found just so I can be jealous. Sounds like it's a good compilation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8RZVTRdyCM&list=PLUducwX6kKzGZBSYscABf5gsv_yiSR1ei
To make it a bit more interesting it's here on youtube for us to hear.
(from Rene Paulo's YouTube pages)

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2016-02-08 20:24 ]

I don't have much, but here goes... Just a few odd thrift store finds. I don't know what it is about Value Village, but around here the vinyl section is all Exotica and Polka.

K

I've always loved that "Big Sound: Heart of Hawaii" LP. It's so "dark" for a Hawaiian album....almost gothic, really.

S

Two new ones today.

K

A few recent additions.

I have several of this guys LPs. Songs from Colombia, South America, on Hawaiian steel guitar.

A Samoan lp.

A groovy 1970s German lp.

A private label tribute to Johnny Pineapple.

H

I found these at goodwill today for $1.99 each, didn't realize the price has gone up from $.99. it has been a while since I found any music in the wild.

On 2016-03-30 15:06, hiltiki wrote:
I found these at goodwill today for $1.99 each, didn't realize the price has gone up from $.99.

That is an OUTRAGE!

Seriously, though - I recently noticed that our local Goodwill had sneakily done the same thing. CDs are still $0.99, though....damn vinyl resurgence......

From .99 to $2.99 at goodwills here in Oregon. Just means more vinyl for the landfills.

H

Back to Goodwill

I realized I already have this Alfred Akapa vinyl. Does anyone want it? it would be free and you can pick it up from me on April 30th at Don the beachcomber Tiki Makeke event. Just PM me.

S

scored this a few days ago!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies